Packers file tampering charges against Vikes

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clears up this question.

If a player retires with years left on his contract and his team placed him on the reserve/retired list, the team still holds his rights. And, consequently, no other team may talk to the player about unretiring and playing for that team.

boiga

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The odd thing here is that there are equal rumors that Tampa Bay has been in just as much contact with Favre as the Vikes.

So why didn't we file charges against the Bucc's too? The only likely answer is that TT is still keeping the option of a trade with the Tampa open. Charging your potential trade partner with breaking rules certainly wouldn't be a good bargaining position. Threatening, yes though.

Hmm... maybe we can get a good deal out of this.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO...now the packers care who Brett talks to. This is toooo strange. I don't want you but don't cover your bases...WTF

TT is Scared shiitless of Brett. Could you imagine Brett playing for the Vikes and whipping TT's Boys twice next season. TT's ego couldn't take it. Its clear as day. Apparently TT still thinks Brett's got a little sumthin' sumthin' in the tank and knows that Brett will rise up and stick it to him if given the chance. Run Rabbit Run

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
LMAO...now the packers care who Brett talks to. This is toooo strange. I don't want you but don't cover your bases...WTF

TT is Scared shiitless of Brett. Could you imagine Brett playing for the Vikes and whipping TT's Boys twice next season. TT's ego couldn't take it. Its clear as day. Apparently TT still thinks Brett's got a little sumthin' sumthin' in the tank and knows that Brett will rise up and stick it to him if given the chance. Run Rabbit Run

TT's job couldn't take it, if he let Brett play in the NFC North.

How is this hard to understand without going "hes an egomaniac!" or "Hes scared!"

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:
gotarace27 said:

TT's job couldn't take it, if he let Brett play in the NFC North.

How is this hard to understand without going "hes an egomaniac!" or "Hes scared!"

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a slight update on this situation from the AP:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_PACKERS_FAVRE?SITE=PAYOK&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

AP Source: Packers allege tampering by Vikings

By CHRIS JENKINS
AP Sports Writer

AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers have filed tampering charges against the Minnesota Vikings alleging the team made inappropriate contact with Brett Favre, a person familiar with the Packers' complaint told The Associated Press Wednesday night.

The person, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, said Packers officials have expressed their belief that interest from the Vikings was driving Favre's sudden change of heart about playing football in 2008.

"They feel like Favre had something (in place), and that's why he was so anxious to get his release all of a sudden," the person said.

The tampering charges were first reported by Foxsports.com earlier Wednesday.

The person said the league already has reviewed evidence provided by the Packers, and team officials believe a league examination of telephone records would indicate more than "normal contact" between Favre and Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, a former Green Bay assistant. According to the person, Packers officials also believe the contact began before Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, formally asked the Packers to release him.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league had no comment on the report. Cook did not return a telephone message left by The Associated Press earlier Wednesday.

The tampering charges added a new twist to the Favre saga, which seemed to be over when Favre retired in early March but now has been sizzling for several weeks.

KingPrawn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Why should an exception be made to NFL rules for Brett Favre? One team talking to a player under contract to another team is against NFL rules. Period.

If a player retires with years left on his contract and his team placed him on the reserve/retired list, the team still holds his rights. And, consequently, no other team may talk to the player about unretiring and playing for that team.

No where does it say: But if it's Brett Favre it's OK.

What if Favre had an itch to play again but never really seriously considered coming back? Now the Vikings, through Bevell, approached Favre about playing for them, convinced him that they are just a QB away and here's his chance to make it to the Superbowl? They convince Favre that he's the guy. This may expalin Favre's recent change of heart. This may explain why Favre and Cook have asked for his "unconditional" release, and nothing else. Why they are opposed to a trade. Why it has been threatened that if Favre is traded to another team he doesn't have to report. This may explain why the Packers have told Favre, according to him, they want to protect his legacy. If Favre never really considered coming back until the Vikings had a conversation with him, which leads us to the point were at now, wouldn't that be grounds for the Vikings to be fined or punished? But why would the Packers care?

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
maybe its the packers mngmt sniffing for something that isnt there?

Well said LT...........

TT to MM : "let's divert some of the attention away from the major fiasco that is the Packers situation. I know, we'll blame the Vikings."

IMHO, this is a move by the Packers organization to help mend the rift in GB. It is actually a pretty good one if you think about it. In GB, you have half of the fan base pointing their fingers at TT and MM, and the other half pointing their fingers at Fav-re. Now, by painting a division rival as the "bad guy" and the one who supposedly talked Fav-re into doing this, they have given the fan base some common ground again.

It is 100% kaka del rio, and a pathetic, transparent ploy that will never hold up, but it is a good strategy on the part of TT. Give the fans someone else to blame for a little while...

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:

Why should an exception be made to NFL rules for Brett Favre? One team talking to a player under contract to another team is against NFL rules. Period.

No where does it say: But if it's Brett Favre it's OK.

What if Favre had an itch to play again but never really seriously considered coming back? Now the Vikings, through Bevell, approached Favre about playing for them, convinced him that they are just a QB away and here's his chance to make it to the Superbowl? They convince Favre that he's the guy. This may expalin Favre's recent change of heart. This may explain why Favre and Cook have asked for his "unconditional" release, and nothing else. Why they are opposed to a trade. Why it has been threatened that if Favre is traded to another team he doesn't have to report. This may explain why the Packers have told Favre, according to him, they want to protect his legacy. If Favre never really considered coming back until the Vikings had a conversation with him, which leads us to the point were at now, wouldn't that be grounds for the Vikings to be fined or punished? But why would the Packers care?

Awful lot of ifs and mays in that post...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke to Brad Childress 2 days ago. Here is part of our conversation.

Cheesey: Thanks coach, for taking the time to talk to me
BC: No problem Cheesey, I always have time for you!
Cheesey: Brad, If Brett Favre became available, would you be interested in trying to put him on your roster?
BC: No....no......I'm 100% committed to Tarvaris Jackson.
(overheard in the background: "Brad! It's Brett Favre on line one!")
BC: Uh........like i was saying........Jackson is my guy......
(overheard again:"Brad! Bus Cook on line two!")
Cheesey: Coach......you want to take a break so you can go answer the phone?
BC: No....thats not neccesary.....I don't know any Bart Fav-re, or, what was that other name......."Bus?"......must be Jerome Bettis calling me......yeah....thats it.
Cheesey: So......Jackson will be your starting QB come opening day against the Packers?
BC: Absolutely! We have put our faith in Jack.......wait a second.......my cell phone is vibrating.........Hello? I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME HERE! What if they find out??? You know what kind of TROUBLE I would be in???
Sorry Cheesman.......where was i?
Cheesey: Who was that on your cell phone Brad?
BC: Uh.......it was......uh......my MISTRESS!!! YEAH! Thats it! My...uh.....MISTRESS!!!
Cheesey: SUUUUURE it was coach. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.
BC: Like i said Cheesey, no probl......wait.....my cell again........Hello? BUS???? Is that YOU???? I TOLD you......uh......
Cheesey: Who is THAT coach?
BC: Uh........GREYHOUND!!! Yeah....THATS it! I uh.......have....to....uh.....plan a trip! Yeah! Gonna go see Bre.....uh...my MISTRESS! Yeah....THATS the ticket!

With that, i left Childress, as it was obvious he had some business to tend to.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke to Brad Childress 2 days ago. Here is part of our conversation.

Cheesey: Thanks coach, for taking the time to talk to me
BC: No problem Cheesey, I always have time for you!
Cheesey: Brad, If Brett Favre became available, would you be interested in trying to put him on your roster?
BC: No....no......I'm 100% committed to Tarvaris Jackson.
(overheard in the background: "Brad! It's Brett Favre on line one!")
BC: Uh........like i was saying........Jackson is my guy......
(overheard again:"Brad! Bus Cook on line two!")
Cheesey: Coach......you want to take a break so you can go answer the phone?
BC: No....thats not neccesary.....I don't know any Bart Fav-re, or, what was that other name......."Bus?"......must be Jerome Bettis calling me......yeah....thats it.
Cheesey: So......Jackson will be your starting QB come opening day against the Packers?
BC: Absolutely! We have put our faith in Jack.......wait a second.......my cell phone is vibrating.........Hello? I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME HERE! What if they find out??? You know what kind of TROUBLE I would be in???
Sorry Cheesman.......where was i?
Cheesey: Who was that on your cell phone Brad?
BC: Uh.......it was......uh......my MISTRESS!!! YEAH! Thats it! My...uh.....MISTRESS!!!
Cheesey: SUUUUURE it was coach. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.
BC: Like i said Cheesey, no probl......wait.....my cell again........Hello? BUS???? Is that YOU???? I TOLD you......uh......
Cheesey: Who is THAT coach?
BC: Uh........GREYHOUND!!! Yeah....THATS it! I uh.......have....to....uh.....plan a trip! Yeah! Gonna go see Bre.....uh...my MISTRESS! Yeah....THATS the ticket!

With that, i left Childress, as it was obvious he had some business to tend to.

:) Nice try Cheesey. Only problem is that the Pckers are alleging that Bevell, not Childress, talked to Fav-re... ;)

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those rotten Vikings- I hope the league makes them give us Jerad Allen, Adrian Peterson, and two first round draft choices. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most excellent Cheese Meister. You seem to be back in the saddle again.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Nice try Cheesey. Only problem is that the Pckers are alleging that Bevell, not Childress, talked to Fav-re... ;)

so you dont think Bevell ever talked to Favre? being that they are old buds i would say its very possible that they talked.

If Bevell even insinuated that the Vikings would definitely pick up Favre (however obvious it may be) that counts as tampering. Friends or not... you cannot discuss league matters with a player who is under contract with another team.

now we just gotta find a way to prove it :D

hey, if we're going down... we're bringing the Vikings with us.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I duz my best!!! :lol:

Nodak.....i knew that. I just thought it would be LOTS more fun with "Mr. Burns" in it then Bevell.
It's MY made up interview, and i can make up interview whoever i want!!!! :wink: :lol:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Payton Manning was seen talking with the NYG qb last night at the espys and they were telling each other about the upcoming training camps.
Hopefully an investigation will be underway soon.

I wish both sides would just go quiet. Stop talking to the press.
The mainstream media is going to soke this story as long as they can, they know you put Brett Favre and/or Packers in their headlines it is going to attract viewers.

The media is the only one benefitting from all this crap.!!!!!!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
I duz my best!!! :lol:

Nodak.....i knew that. I just thought it would be LOTS more fun with "Mr. Burns" in it then Bevell.
It's MY made up interview, and i can make up interview whoever i want!!!! :wink: :lol:

Some guys just don't understand Cheesey.
Some don't even try.
And then there are the Viking fans for which it is not physically, mentally possible for them to understand. (where is our "worst nightmare" by the way? He blew thru here like a fart in a hurricane.

Latest posts