Packers expansion plans

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The merger was agreed to well before the first SB ( I believe in '66). The first SBs were set up with the merger agreement and that allowed time to make proper preparations to move teams like Pitt, Baltimore and Cleveland to the AFC in '70.
It was also a time for the AFL to prove itself to the NFL. Had the Jets and Chiefs both lost those AFL-NFL championship games, the merger could have falling apart. Some teams resisted, the Packers being one of them. Vince didn't want to play the first Super Bowl. But you won't find in any history supplied by the NFL. How bad would it look to see the man the trophy is named after *****ing about playing another game after winning the NFL championship. And yes he did. It's on film from one of the local Green Bay stations. Green Bay is also the only team to not play a team from the AFL in the period from 66-69 before the merger. (other than the AFL-NFL Championship Game) All other NFL teams played AFL teams in pre-season games. 72? games I believe. You have to remember, that pre season gmes back then were different than they are today. They were more like regular season game only lighter.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right. There goes my theory. When SB failure is as extensive as it is in Minnesota and Buffalo, you DO remember the losers. And I think Jim Kelly was the QB in all 4 of those losses. Ouch. Dan Marino is not alone as another great, great QB who couldn't pull the trigger at money time.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Jets win helped to enable the merger. If NFL teams kept winning they might have said the AFL was inferior and not merged.
Good point. That ranks amongst the greatest upsets in the NFL. The Colts were clearly over confident. But on that day, they lost to the superior team, and a QB who simply would not accept failure, or the myth that the NFL was overwhelmingly superior to the AFL. Who was commissioner? Must have been Roselle.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think you're right. There goes my theory. When SB failure is as extensive as it is in Minnesota and Buffalo, you DO remember the losers. And I think Jim Kelly was the QB in all 4 of those losses. Ouch. Dan Marino is not alone as another great, great QB who couldn't pull the trigger at money time.
BTW, there is team who has lost the Super Bowl more than the Vikings and the Bill. The Broncos are 5 time losers and the Patriots are 4 time losers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is false. The Colts were the first NFL team to lose to the AFL. They lost to the Jets the year before. At the merger, the Colts and Steelers and Browns moved to the AFC.
I stand corrected. But the Vikings are still an embarrassment.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BTW, there is team who has lost the Super Bowl more than the Vikings and the Bill. The Broncos are 5 time losers and the Patriots are 4 time losers.
Again pity poor Raptorman our resident Vikings fan who has to find solace in pointing out the Vikings are tied in losing only the second most Super Bowls. :D

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You had better hope so, otherwise the Packers championship get pretty slim. :)

Man, I have to say, I love your persistence and tenacity. Obviously, it is the Pack's fault that they won championships prior to your expansion franchise coming into existence. The Packer Hall of Fame used to have partially deflated balls (no whack at the Pats intended - because according to Pats fans, Rodgers prefers over-inflated balls and should be penalized too.), from as far back as 1923 as I recall. The point of this dig is that the Pack own footballs that are more established than your franchise. 'jes sayin... ;)

Hey, my son and I went up to Green Bay for camp and a tour on Monday. Unfortunately, the renovated Hall of Fame didn't open until Friday. Truthfully, I haven't been inside the stadium since the south endzone additions were made and I DID want to see what they had done there - and it is quite the money maker as the tour guides will tell you. (Those guys were fantastic -- Dave and Grant - if you're out there, you're aces in my book.) Anyhow, the tours are now offered in 3 different levels...the most expensive sells out quickly on a daily basis and we didn't get there until 9 a.m. -- so, the best tour was sold out. Still the 2nd level took us up to the south endzone scoreboard and into the new boxes up there.

As I said, the tour guides make no bones about the income generation that Lambeau presents to the Pack ... and watching that stadium evolve from what I grew up attending (read: corrugated steel siding, women pee'ing in the men's bathroom urinals ... et al ...), THIS place is astounding - the whole complex is.

TJV, have visited Jack's marker yet on the Walk of Legends?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a lot more difficult to win championships now than it was in the 20's and early 30's. Back then all you had to do was finish in first place and you were the champion. I believe from the early 30's to the early or mid 60's there was only one playoff game to win the championship. Correct me if I am wrong. In 2010 the Packers had to win four (road) playoff games to become champions.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It is a lot more difficult to win championships now than it was in the 20's and early 30's. Back then all you had to do was finish in first place and you were the champion. I believe from the early 30's to the early or mid 60's there was only one playoff game to win the championship. Correct me if I am wrong. In 2010 the Packers had to win four (road) playoff games to become champions.
Yup. Think of this. Starr has 5 championships and has played in 10 post season games. Rodgers already has play in 12. And Russell Wilson has already played in 8. Not as easy as it used to be. You also have 32 teams as opposed to 14.

H

HardRightEdge

Man, I have to say, I love your persistence and tenacity. Obviously, it is the Pack's fault that they won championships prior to your expansion franchise coming into existence. The Packer Hall of Fame used to have partially deflated balls (no whack at the Pats intended - because according to Pats fans, Rodgers prefers over-inflated balls and should be penalized too.), from as far back as 1923 as I recall. The point of this dig is that the Pack own footballs that are more established than your franchise. 'jes sayin... ;)

Hey, my son and I went up to Green Bay for camp and a tour on Monday. Unfortunately, the renovated Hall of Fame didn't open until Friday. Truthfully, I haven't been inside the stadium since the south endzone additions were made and I DID want to see what they had done there - and it is quite the money maker as the tour guides will tell you. (Those guys were fantastic -- Dave and Grant - if you're out there, you're aces in my book.) Anyhow, the tours are now offered in 3 different levels...the most expensive sells out quickly on a daily basis and we didn't get there until 9 a.m. -- so, the best tour was sold out. Still the 2nd level took us up to the south endzone scoreboard and into the new boxes up there.

As I said, the tour guides make no bones about the income generation that Lambeau presents to the Pack ... and watching that stadium evolve from what I grew up attending (read: corrugated steel siding, women pee'ing in the men's bathroom urinals ... et al ...), THIS place is astounding - the whole complex is.

TJV, have visited Jack's marker yet on the Walk of Legends?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Call me a curmudgeon, but I find this monument disappointing. It looks like signage for a restaurant named "Vainisi".

Better than nothing? Maybe, maybe not.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Call me a curmudgeon, but I find this monument disappointing. It looks like signage for a restaurant named "Vainisi".
Better than nothing? Maybe, maybe not.
I agree about the sign but I do think it’s better than nothing. Vainisi died in 1960 and while you can pick a day when it was obvious what Vainisi meant to the Packers, certainly by the time Lombardi’s (and Vainisi’s) Packers were going for their fifth championship in nine years it was obvious. So from then until now he’s been largely ignored except for his induction into the Packers HOF in 1982. I wish the tribute to his contribution was classier. I think it’d be a great idea to briefly tell his story as I’ve done in my signature. But even an ugly tribute is better than being ignored IMO.

When I joined this board I wanted to honor a largely forgotten contributor to the Packers organization and narrowed it down to either George Calhoun or Jack Vainisi. I wasn’t sure how many Packers knew what Calhoun meant to the Packers but from my interactions with Packers fans I was convinced fewer knew how important Vainisi was to Lombardi’s Packers – including his role in bringing Lombardi to Green Bay.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about the sign but I do think it’s better than nothing. Vainisi died in 1960 and while you can pick a day when it was obvious what Vainisi meant to the Packers, certainly by the time Lombardi’s (and Vainisi’s) Packers were going for their fifth championship in nine years it was obvious. So from then until now he’s been largely ignored except for his induction into the Packers HOF in 1982. I wish the tribute to his contribution was classier. I think it’d be a great idea to briefly tell his story as I’ve done in my signature. But even an ugly tribute is better than being ignored IMO.

When I joined this board I wanted to honor a largely forgotten contributor to the Packers organization and narrowed it down to either George Calhoun or Jack Vainisi. I wasn’t sure how many Packers knew what Calhoun meant to the Packers but from my interactions with Packers fans I was convinced fewer knew how important Vainisi was to Lombardi’s Packers – including his role in bringing Lombardi to Green Bay.
Is Vainisi in the pro football HOF? Sounds like he should be.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just checked the history of losing in the NFL, and the Vikings fan is correct. Just goes to show you, there's no substitute for experience.:)

Members online

Latest posts