Packers expansion plans

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they get enough hotel rooms in the area they could possibly host a Super Bowl !
I love the idea of playing the SB at Lambeau but am also 99.99% certain it would never happen. Just too many obstacles and the SB game itself is only a part, some would say a small part at that, of the overall "SB experience". It's kinda like the Olympics with a smaller timeline. It's not that GB and the surrounding area couldn't accommodate the people - although that would still be a challenge - it's that there is nothing else to do there in the dead of winter. Virtually everything about the SB - except the game itself - would have to be done inside. Even during the season, the town appears deserted because people are either at the game or watching the game.

No Lambeau just wouldn't work. That's too bad given how much that team and that city mean to professional sports, not just football.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could possibly say the Vikings were the NFL champions in 1969 even though they lost the Super Bowl. I believe that the AFL had not yet merged into the NFL until sometime after that game.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the idea of playing the SB at Lambeau but am also 99.99% certain it would never happen. Just too many obstacles and the SB game itself is only a part, some would say a small part at that, of the overall "SB experience". It's kinda like the Olympics with a smaller timeline. It's not that GB and the surrounding area couldn't accommodate the people - although that would still be a challenge - it's that there is nothing else to do there in the dead of winter. Virtually everything about the SB - except the game itself - would have to be done inside. Even during the season, the town appears deserted because people are either at the game or watching the game.

No Lambeau just wouldn't work. That's too bad given how much that team and that city mean to professional sports, not just football.

What I always heard was the difficulty was the lack of hotel rooms. There is a minimum amount required to host a Super Bowl. Besides ...who wouldn't pass up the chance to spend $3,000 to sit on a metal bench in 10 degree weather ?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure Detroit has ever been to one.
Lions have won 4 Championships. Last one in '57--only 4 years before the Vikes joined the league. The Vikes won 1 NFL Championship, and promptly lost the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy (I suspect Bud Grant has it in his basement); and were the first NFL team to lose to an AFL team. Therefore, the Vikings are much more of an embarrassment to the league than anyone else. NFL Championships started before the term Super Bowl arose; and Championships prior to '66/'67 mean just as much as later ones to anyone who values history.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions have won 4 Championships. Last one in '57--only 4 years before the Vikes joined the league. The Vikes won 1 NFL Championship, and promptly lost the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy (I suspect Bud Grant has it in his basement); and were the first NFL team to lose to an AFL team. Therefore, the Vikings are much more of an embarrassment to the league than anyone else. NFL Championships started before the term Super Bowl arose; and Championships prior to '66/'67 mean just as much as later ones to anyone who values history.

Yes....Lions have won 4 Championships....but no Superbowls,

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That is false. The Colts were the first NFL team to lose to the AFL. They lost to the Jets the year before. At the merger, the Colts and Steelers and Browns moved to the AFC.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is false. The Colts were the first NFL team to lose to the AFL. They lost to the Jets the year before. At the merger, the Colts and Steelers and Browns moved to the AFC.

I think the Jets win helped to enable the merger. If NFL teams kept winning they might have said the AFL was inferior and not merged.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The merger was agreed to well before the first SB ( I believe in '66). The first SBs were set up with the merger agreement and that allowed time to make proper preparations to move teams like Pitt, Baltimore and Cleveland to the AFC in '70.