Packers Engel named NFC assistant athletic trainer of the year

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what does Mr. Thompson do? He signs unrestricted free agents on a crap shoot basis? No one said to sign mediocre FA's. No one said sign hyped FA's. No one said Washington/Dallas. What I will say is New England, Seattle, etc. The Packer's had no depth last year. Geez you guys jump to conclusions.

How about two players--A reasonable safety and a proven LB to take the constant double team away from Matthews?

The other option is to draft better. TT can chose. However, his draft and develop strategy did not provide the results over the two years on the defensive side of the football.

1. I am on board with this thought
2. "The other option is to draft better"... How the hell do you think we have all the talent we have/had? Rodgers, Lacy, Matthews, Hayward, Sitton, Lang, Jordy, Bahktiari, Cobb, Bulaga, Crosby, Jennings this all on top of guys who have unavoidable injuries like Collins and Finley. UDFA's Shields, Tramon. You must not remember the Sherman days for crying out loud.

Fine, let's just fire Ted and get it over with because he doesn't utilize free agency. He'll be unemployed for about 5 minutes and some other team will reap the benefits of hiring him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And by Washington trading their high draft picks for RG3, they couldn't improve much in the draft either.

I feel sorry for both teams fans to have such ****** owners.

This is exactly what haters of TT just don't seem to understand. The Packers are in such a good situation right now and aren't nearly as far away from being back in the Super Bowl as some would lead you to believe.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I am on board with this thought
2. "The other option is to draft better"... How the hell do you think we have all the talent we have/had? Rodgers, Lacy, Matthews, Hayward, Sitton, Lang, Jordy, Bahktiari, Cobb, Bulaga, Crosby, Jennings this all on top of guys who have unavoidable injuries like Collins and Finley. UDFA's Shields, Tramon. You must not remember the Sherman days for crying out loud.

Fine, let's just fire Ted and get it over with because he doesn't utilize free agency. He'll be unemployed for about 5 minutes and some other team will reap the benefits of hiring him.
Calm down ghost rider! You get so defensive and upset when TT is called into question. I won't bring it up again.

Sherman was reasonable until his last year. By the way, decimated by injuries and the inability to replaced the two best OL players list to FA. However, injuries happen to all teams. That's when TT fired him.

I admire your devotion for Ted. I think the Wolf business model is better. That's all. No need to go crazy!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down ghost rider! You get so defensive and upset when TT is called into question. I won't bring it up again.

Sherman was reasonable until his last year. By the way, decimated by injuries and the inability to replaced the two best OL players list to FA. However, injuries happen to all teams. That's when TT fired him.

I admire your devotion for Ted. I think the Wolf business model is better. That's all. No need to go crazy!

No.. I dont like it when people like YOU call him out. First it started out he hasnt been good in the 1st round... inaccurate. Then he hasnt been good in the 1st and 2nd rounds... inaccurate even more then the original statement. Now, its he needs to overall "draft better". The entire core of this team, a team that has won a Super Bowl and made the playoffs what 5 years in a row, was drafted by Ted Thompson. Yes Charles and Pickett were added via free agency, and I have always agreed that Ted needs to utulize free agency now more then ever.

I am also going to guess you are in the vast vast minority when it comes to Sherman being "reasonable" also. Ted also doesnt get nearly enough credit for cleaning up his mess as quickly as he did.

People like you who dont like him for whatever reason never provide factual evidence to support their arguments. You will hate him for as long as you can no matter what the results are. Funny thing is is I used to be one of you, I hated Ted Thompson but I was able to see the light. Try it, its ok to be on his side.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking at three of the biggest injuries last season with Cobb, Matthews, and Rodgers' broken bones. Those were not preventable.

All three are young and healthy people who have worked out their entire lives. Without some unknown underlying disease, there's no way any of these three have compromised bone density that could have lead to these injuries.

As far as the soft tissue injuries, a case can be argued someone in GB isn't doing something right.

Would you say Matthews is injury prone? I would.He gets injured and misses several games every season.

Too many guys missing way too much time. Is bad luck part of it...almost certainly. But there has to be more to this number of injuries over this many years. It can't be all dumb luck. It seems the packers think it is though as they've made virtually no changes. I think the injuries will continue to happen, it will just be something the team needs to deal with.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.. I dont like it when people like YOU call him out. First it started out he hasnt been good in the 1st round... inaccurate. Then he hasnt been good in the 1st and 2nd rounds... inaccurate even more then the original statement. Now, its he needs to overall "draft better". The entire core of this team, a team that has won a Super Bowl and made the playoffs what 5 years in a row, was drafted by Ted Thompson. Yes Charles and Pickett were added via free agency, and I have always agreed that Ted needs to utulize free agency now more then ever.

I am also going to guess you are in the vast vast minority when it comes to Sherman being "reasonable" also. Ted also doesnt get nearly enough credit for cleaning up his mess as quickly as he did.

People like you who dont like him for whatever reason never provide factual evidence to support their arguments. You will hate him for as long as you can no matter what the results are. Funny thing is is I used to be one of you, I hated Ted Thompson but I was able to see the light. Try it, its ok to be on his side.
I'll say it again, I do not hate TT. I respect your opinion. I did use facts--You don't want to acknowledge them. What is the Sherman mess? He won the division three consecutive years and Thompson had given him a two year extension prior to firing him after a dismal season. He had injuries and lost Wahl and Rivera because Ted elected not to resign them. Draft and develop, just like Cullen Jenkins.

I am a Packer fan and just don't want to a draft and develop strategy alone stand in the way of the best QB in the NFL winning another SB.

Have a beer and relax.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it again, I do not hate TT. I respect your opinion. I did use facts--You don't want to acknowledge them. What is the Sherman mess? He won the division three consecutive years and Thompson had given him a two year extension prior to firing him after a dismal season. He had injuries and lost Wahl and Rivera because Ted elected not to resign them. Draft and develop, just like Cullen Jenkins.

I am a Packer fan and just don't want to a draft and develop strategy alone stand in the way of the best QB in the NFL winning another SB.

Have a beer and relax.

Im sorry but are you defending Mike Sheraman as a GM? Why dont you go back and take a look at the 3 drafts he was in charge of. By my count I see 3 solid picks, Wells and Kampman and Barnett, and 2 guys Ted made profitable. Javon, who he wisely traded, and Cory Williams, a 6th round pick which Ted flipped for a 2nd. Oh and we cant forget trading up to draft a punter in the 3rd round... this is the mess Im referring to. I dont have exact stats but Im pretty sure Rivera was worthless after Ted let him go.

Not to mention the ridiculous contracts to KGB and Cledius Hunt. This team was in bad shape when Ted took over and was in the NFC Championship game 2 years later.

Please stop if you're planning to suggest Sherman is even in the same ballpark as Ted when it comes to GM'ing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

at that price, you are correct..... i might have at least tried to see what he was willing to do after being cut by seattle or oakland.

Flynn wasn´t cut by the Seahawks, he was traded to Oakland, meaning they had to adopt the remaining contract he signed with Seattle (two years, $11.5 million). I agree though the Packers should have signed him immediately once he was cut by Oakland.

but how long was that price for? 5 - 6 years? that would be worth while imo.

The deal Flynn signed with the Seahawks was for three years and $19.5 million (he would have been able to earn another $1.2 million with incentives). So there was no way the Packers could have signed him in 2012.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Just looking at three of the biggest injuries last season with Cobb, Matthews, and Rodgers' broken bones. Those were not preventable.

I have said that repeatedly (and posted the story about the Stanford medical staff twice), broken bones are preventable to some degree!!! Flexible muscles minimize the impact a hit has on bones as well, hence resulting in fewer broken bones. If you don´t believe me talk to a physiotherapist.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think OCBP brings up some valid points. TT should use free agency to plug some holes and I hope he will sign a veteran safety and ILB this year (not big-name guys, but solid veterans to reasonable deals).

And while TT has had a lot of success drafting players there is absolutely no denying he hasn´t done as well in 2011 and 2012 than he did in previous years. I´m quite sure losing Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie didn´t help.

Here are some facts about the drafts in 2011 and 2012:

Seven of the ten players drafted in 2011 aren´t even on the team anymore, and Sherrod and House haven´t been impact players. Cobb was a great pick.

Four of the eight players drafted in 2012 (only two seasons later) aren´t on the team anymore, Hayward and Daniels have become impact players.

I don´t think that is good enough for a draft-and-develop team. And while TT deserves a lot of credit for drafting Rodgers and sticking with him in 2008, #12 covers up for a lot of problems on the team and I agree with OCBP that the Packers are wasting some of the best years of the best QB in the league and I would be disappointed if at the end of his career the Super Bowl XLV win would be the only during his tenure.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry but are you defending Mike Sheraman as a GM? Why dont you go back and take a look at the 3 drafts he was in charge of. By my count I see 3 solid picks, Wells and Kampman and Barnett, and 2 guys Ted made profitable. Javon, who he wisely traded, and Cory Williams, a 6th round pick which Ted flipped for a 2nd. Oh and we cant forget trading up to draft a punter in the 3rd round... this is the mess Im referring to. I dont have exact stats but Im pretty sure Rivera was worthless after Ted let him go.

Not to mention the ridiculous contracts to KGB and Cledius Hunt. This team was in bad shape when Ted took over and was in the NFC Championship game 2 years later.

Please stop if you're planning to suggest Sherman is even in the same ballpark as Ted when it comes to GM'ing.
Are you related to Ted, a significant other, a lobbyist?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OCBP brings up some valid points. TT should use free agency to plug some holes and I hope he will sign a veteran safety and ILB this year (not big-name guys, but solid veterans to reasonable deals).

And while TT has had a lot of success drafting players there is absolutely no denying he hasn´t done as well in 2011 and 2012 than he did in previous years. I´m quite sure losing Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie didn´t help.

Here are some facts about the drafts in 2011 and 2012:

Seven of the ten players drafted in 2011 aren´t even on the team anymore, and Sherrod and House haven´t been impact players. Cobb was a great pick.

Four of the eight players drafted in 2012 (only two seasons later) aren´t on the team anymore, Hayward and Daniels have become impact players.

I don´t think that is good enough for a draft-and-develop team. And while TT deserves a lot of credit for drafting Rodgers and sticking with him in 2008, #12 covers up for a lot of problems on the team and I agree with OCBP that the Packers are wasting some of the best years of the best QB in the league and I would be disappointed if at the end of his career the Super Bowl XLV win would be the only during his tenure.
I acknowledge all of the good that TT has done and, with some more wisdom and, maybe luck, what he will do in the future. Just frustrating when his system seems very rigid and he loves the consistent "one of the youngest teams in the league" moniker.

He has holes and room to move under the salary cap. A credit to his ability to manage. Why not take advantage of that?

Now your hearing about moving the current roster players on D around to fill the obvious gaps. Not sure if this potential experiment makes sense?

Thanks for being fair and balanced!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you related to Ted, a significant other, a lobbyist?

Obviously this is a touchy subject with me, and I think a big reason for it is like I said I used to despise the man. It took me about 3 years to buy into the draft and develop philosophy and now that I'm 100% on board it irritates the hell out of me when people (not only you) argue it based on the success he's had with it. So, nothing personal trust me.

I too am able to acknowledge his faults. I think he made a major mistake in releasing Woodson. Woodson said just yesterday that he told his agent to go to Ted and tell him he's willing to restructure to stay, Ted obviously declined and I couldn't imagine the Safety position being much worse this past season. I think the Brad Jones contract is awful and I don't know what he sees in him. There are others that I won't get into but the point is I am able to see other sides of this topic as well.

Free agency has always been a huge pet peeve for me with him but I have come to realize it is what it is. If he utilizes it then great but if he doesn't I'm not going to kill him for it because it's not his way of doing things, and his methods have proven to be successful. I agree with captain above that losing Schneider was a big loss that I don't even think he even anticipated. I am hopeful that he finally sees the writing on the wall and goes out and signs some veterans that can help this team. This team is not as far away as alot of people seem to think though and that is something I feel very strongly about. This is due to Ted's ability to draft and develop and spend money wisely.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sheesh! How a thread about a Packer athletic trainer winning an award turns into yet another TT argument....I'll never understand

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sheesh! How a thread about a Packer athletic trainer winning an award turns into yet another TT argument....I'll never understand
I'll take the blame--New to the site! Sorry about that!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ don't worry, any topic can be turned into a TT thread on here. I bet if there was a topic about spicy hot wings, it would be TT's fault that they were not hot enough or the flip side that they were toooo hot.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ don't worry, any topic can be turned into a TT thread on here. I bet if there was a topic about spicy hot wings, it would be TT's fault that they were not hot enough or the flip side that they were toooo hot.
Semper Fi!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's all in good fun

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said that repeatedly (and posted the story about the Stanford medical staff twice), broken bones are preventable to some degree!!! Flexible muscles minimize the impact a hit has on bones as well, hence resulting in fewer broken bones. If you don´t believe me talk to a physiotherapist.

I know that there are no big muscles on the front of the shin that would absorb much impact and same with the thumb.

With Rodgers, he took a lot of force medially almost directly in line with the clavicle, which is a very small bone not meant to handle all that force. It also doesn't have muscles to pull it laterally that would help with that force. More muscle flexibility, which I doubt was even an issue as the vast majority of non athletes even have full shoulder range of motion, would not have helped. The shoulder muscles aren't a like hamstring, which lots of people have tight.

The number one thing to do to prevent bones breaking is to load them like with lifting weights and I'm sure the Packers players have been doing that their entire athletic careers.

And I'm in physical therapy school, by the way so you can believe me on this one.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts