Packers cut punter

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers cut punter Cody Mandell. http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dh8BB?...ium=newsletter&utm_campaign=green-bay-packers

Looking at 2014 punting the Packers ranked last in the league, which makes many wonder why they would stick with Masthay. But, on further inspection, the rankings are based on total yards punting. The Packers punted the fewest times in the league (49) compared to the no. 1 punting team Oakland--who punted 109 times.

I'll take fewest punts over yards punting any day. Masthay is fine with an offense that doesn't really need him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think it's the defense that benefits from punting and the D can use all the help it can get in opponent's starting field position. It'll be interesting to see how the new gunners perform. BTW, I think the reason they waived Cody Mandell so early is he was terrible holding for Crosby and Masthay and Crosby are/were 100% on FG attempts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he may not punt often, but when he does it only helps us if he can pin them back and give our defense a favorable field to operate on. I'd rather the story be Masthay has been booming 55+ yarders with massive hang time than the other guy not being able to get holds down for FG's, but in the grand scheme of things our kicking game is more important than our punting I guess.

Sky King

Reaction score
I think it's the defense that benefits from punting and the D can use all the help it can get in opponent's starting field position. It'll be interesting to see how the new gunners perform. BTW, I think the reason they waived Cody Mandell so early is he was terrible holding for Crosby and Masthay and Crosby are/were 100% on FG attempts.
Yeah, and the longer extra points might have had a little something to do with it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers cut punter Cody Mandell. http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dh8BB?...ium=newsletter&utm_campaign=green-bay-packers

Looking at 2014 punting the Packers ranked last in the league, which makes many wonder why they would stick with Masthay. But, on further inspection, the rankings are based on total yards punting. The Packers punted the fewest times in the league (49) compared to the no. 1 punting team Oakland--who punted 109 times.

I'll take fewest punts over yards punting any day. Masthay is fine with an offense that doesn't really need him.

The Packers ranked 26th in gross yards average and 28th in net yards average last season.

Masthay explained that he was more mechanical in the second half of last season, a pattern of hurriedness on many of his kicks. It originated, he said, from experimenting with new techniques midyear, something he called unwise in hindsight. The tinkering made him antsy, which made him rush, which lessened his effectiveness.

I guess the blocking didn't help either. BTW Mandell's release has twice been mentioned before in the Packers Notes thread.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what? lots of stuff is mentioned on here in multiple places. I think it's nice to have a separate thread on topics that are mixed with 100 other ones.

D

Deleted member 6794

so what? lots of stuff is mentioned on here in multiple places. I think it's nice to have a separate thread on topics that are mixed with 100 other ones.

I'd rather have topics of minor interest not creating a lot of responses summarized in a single thread. As an example I don't feel the need to open a new thread because the Packers released Ricky Collins yesterday. Just my two cents though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's fine, don't click on a thread named ricky collins. As poor as our punting was last year, maybe some like to discuss it

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers ranked 26th in gross yards average and 28th in net yards average last season.

Masthay explained that he was more mechanical in the second half of last season, a pattern of hurriedness on many of his kicks. It originated, he said, from experimenting with new techniques midyear, something he called unwise in hindsight. The tinkering made him antsy, which made him rush, which lessened his effectiveness.

I guess the blocking didn't help either. BTW Mandell's release has twice been mentioned before in the Packers Notes thread.
Which begs the question, why would Masthay experiment with new techniques mid-year that resulted in "hurriedness? The answer may lie in the highlighted passage. If a punter does not trust the blocking, the kicks are going to come out quicker/higher/shorter.

As far as the numbers go, average field position on punts has an impact. I have no idea whether Masthay had a higher percentage of kicks from the Packer's 40 on in to FG/go-for-it range, but that would have an impact in that he has fewer opportunities to haul off and whack it.

Further, punting is only 1/2 of the punter's job. The other half is holding on place kicks, an aspect of the position that one beat reporter indicated may have been a factor in Mandell's quick exit. Messing with snap/hold/kick chemistry established over years presents a risk.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as the numbers go, average field position on punts has an impact. I have no idea whether Masthay had a higher percentage of kicks from the Packer's 40 on in to FG/go-for-it range, but that would have an impact in that he has fewer opportunities to haul off and whack it.

Masthay punted a total of seven times with the ball being snapped in opponent's territory, tied for fewest in the league with the Bears.

Latest posts