Packer's Better Not......

Reaction score
.......look over their shoulder next season.
Have you notice the teams this past year that improved to Super Bowl status ?

Even with all the changes in Green Bay coaching staff, and Rogers coming back,
there are teams out there that we never worried about until the '17 - '18 season, Rams, Jacksonville, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Oh my.

There's a new sheriff in town Packer Fans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

there are teams out there that we never worried about until the '17 - '18 season, Rams, Jacksonville, Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Oh my.

Brees might not be with the Saints, or he may and maybe he loses a bit off his passes again. The decline is starting how fast does it progress is the question? Jacksonville loses a guy or 2 to injury on that D and things look different. Maybe Bortles actually gets it? The took kneel downs with a minute left going into the half because they were afraid of their QB. That isn't going to win you big games. Steelers? Big ben is another year older, their 2nd best offensive weapon is a FA and looking to score and they never did replace their ILB in their defense and it showed. What happens next year? Who knows. Rams? how many times does a team suck, get good, and suck again in a season. They look to have the parts, but then lots of teams have come before and had the parts. Teams figure you out in the offseason. Maybe Goff and the Rams adapt, maybe they stay figured out. Vikings need to get a QB and their defense has to stay healthy. They lost 2 guys for parts of games and couldn't stop a cold.

So much changes every year. Every team has issues, every team needs to make decisions, every team needs to stay healthy. if GB makes the right decisions and stays healthy, NONE of those teams worry me in the least. They don't even need to make all the right decisions. Just get a player or 2 and stay healthy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not too worried. Rodgers stays healthy in 2017 and Packers would again have been in the final 4. Expect more of the same barring the defense being just that bad.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the NFL though. Every year it seems there is a team that goes from bottom of their division to division champs. The Packers need to stay focused on improving their own team, and staying ahead of the NFC North, the rest will take care of itself.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers "washed out" season of going 7-9 will prove to be beneficial IMO. Probably more than going 11-5 and getting knocked out of the playoffs.

First, they get improved position in all 7 rounds of the draft. Second, Capers was finally let go. Third, TT was kept in a role that he seems to be decent at, college scouting, but removed from a role he started to look like a floundering fish at, player personnel decisions.

Couple that with a FO and coaching staff that may have had a dose of reality kick them squarely in the teeth that without Rodgers, this team isn't all that great and you have the makings for a team hungry to go out and prove just how good they are.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers "washed out" season of going 7-9 will prove to be beneficial IMO. Probably more than going 11-5 and getting knocked out of the playoffs.

First, they get improved position in all 7 rounds of the draft. Second, Capers was finally let go. Third, TT was kept in a role that he seems to be decent at, college scouting, but removed from a role he started to look like a floundering fish at, player personnel decisions.

Couple that with a FO and coaching staff that may have had a dose of reality kick them squarely in the teeth that without Rodgers, this team isn't all that great and you have the makings for a team hungry to go out and prove just how good they are.
I'd agree with all of it, except the Packers FO and coaches not knowing what they have. I think they did. Teams are built and then things happen, there are ebbs and flows and you can't always predict them, but they happen. This team was built to win they did, then there was some attrition, then they loaded up again and were stacked in '14, that team was built for a 2 or 3 year run with it's roster. They screwed up on year, then injuries and other things happened to keep them out of the big one, but being a game away a couple times doesn't mean this team wasn't that great. We're in year 2 of a slight down turn, and I think they knew it was coming. look at how they write contracts and everything. They're prepared and getting prepared to build this team again, all the while not falling far off, for another 3,4 year stretch starting next year. We'll be in it again with health even while in transition.

This Roster was absolutely a super bowl caliber roster in '14 and it was largely the same for the next 2 seasons with a lot of other circumstances that arose that limited that roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which brings up the question and I know all teams go through it:
"How can we cut down on all the injury's"
Did we get rid of the conditioning coach?

You can do whatever you can to try and cut down on injuries, but they are just a part of the game. The successful teams either get lucky and don't have a lot of key ones or they have capable backups to step in. The Packers unfortunately seem to suffer more on the "capable backup" side of the injury equation.

Reaction score
Better not go into 2018 without serious competition at the QB position being addressed. We've made this mistake before and I'm expecting we may see a QB picked second day draft if we don't already have a Veteran QB backup locked down to compete with some other new blood.
Better not walk into this year cutting 5th rounders or putting backup QB's on waivers for everyone to steal, that's a total waste of draft capital and we should think seriously about trading a couple of picks in order to move up moderately in the 3-4 rounds and acquire a player that sticks.
When looking at the 2017 season schedule beforehand it also looked scary. Then we came out and started 4-1 and that just reassured me how dynamic this team is with #12 healthy, if we have any semblance of improvement (say top 16 or better scoring Defense) this 2018 squad will look pretty darn good and will be in the mix until the Divisional or further. We have a bunch of young guys with live game experience that are no longer rookies and I expect several to step into the next realm. We have unkowns in Montravious, Biegel etc.. We also have a the best set of picks in 10 years in the draft. If we couple that with being semi-aggressive in FA we have a mountain of positives coming together during the 2018 season

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which brings up the question and I know all teams go through it:
"How can we cut down on all the injury's"
Did we get rid of the conditioning coach?

That should definitely remain an option. However, bolstering the depth at all positions should probably be thoroughly practiced before such a move is made. I have always wondered if the conditioning staff and/or nutritionist should be audited, but realistically their contribution to GB's "demise" is subjective. The staff can only prepare the players for the game...nothing else.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with this post, of course.

But it's interesting that it's okay to say something like this in retrospect, but it's not okay to say something like that during the season. Like "I hope we lose this game so we get a better draft pick and Ted gets fired". Posters who say things like that during the season get flamed.

D

Deleted member 6794

But it's interesting that it's okay to say something like this in retrospect, but it's not okay to say something like that during the season. Like "I hope we lose this game so we get a better draft pick and Ted gets fired". Posters who say things like that during the season get flamed.

There's a huge difference in making that statement after the end of the year compared to advocating for the team to tank during the season to make it happen.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I was one of those persons, who when it became obvious that the wheels had fallen off, publicly stated something like "as much as I don't want the Packers to lose, it might not be a bad thing to invoke changes and improve draft position". It might not be considered PC to say things like that and you never want your team to just throw in the towel or have to cheer for them to lose, but a lost season is a lost season and if good things come out of it......I didn't mind some of those lost games.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
It might not be considered PC to say things like that and you never want your team to just throw in the towel or have to cheer for them to lose, but a lost season is a lost season and if good things come out of it......I didn't mind some of those lost games.

Well said.......

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recognizing the opportunity that comes thru losing is completely different than hoping you lose. I've gone thru plenty of rough times in my life, sports related or not. Plenty of times I wanted to quit, just slide bye, just hope it got better. Plenty of times where I didn't. No matter how much it sucked, you keep trying to claw your way out of whatever it is. and when it's over, you recognize the lessons taught, the opportunities created and you improve. When you quit on the season, don't finish what you start, toss in the towel when it looks like you won't get to where you wanted, you're a quitter and you'll never amount to **** other than thru dumb luck. I don't want that mentality in our coaches, our FO, and especially not in our players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with Mondio about "giving it your all" whenever you are competing or with life in general. The hard part is when you are in a team sport or activity and you see others around you start giving less than 100%. If that happens, your mindset might switch to "well if nobody else is going to keep working hard, why should I?". I think we saw that out of some of the Packer starters towards the end of last season. What the coaches do about that, we may never know, but I hope the players learned a lesson.

One of my favorite stories out of this winter Olympics is Ester Ledecka. The Women's Super G was basically over, all the top skiers had completed their runs and the medals were already determined in everyone's minds. Ledecka, who was known mainly as a snowboarder, racing on borrowed ski's ended up shocking everyone by having the run of her life and winning the gold medal. I doubt Ester and her coaches were at the top of the hill saying "ok Ester, the race has already been won, just go out there and go through the motions"

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In all my years as a packer fan, I cannot recall a single season when there were not other teams that were pretty good.

So, nothing new this year.

Next.

Members online

Latest posts