Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

That's a lot of If's built into that equation...and once they develop into studs, we'll end up back with same situation we now have with Blake.
That's why you have to stack drafts within a 4 year period accumulating a critical mass of good-to-great players on cheap rookie contracts to create a window of opportunity. If you do that odds are you will be a legit contender; if you don't then odds are you will not.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

They have Dean Lowry, Za'Darius Smith, Montravius Adams, Rashan Gary, and Kingsley Keke who will all spend some pass rush snaps inside. And it may be that they felt he was done or close.
You forgot Clark.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a lot of If's built into that equation...and once they develop into studs, we'll end up back with same situation we now have with Blake.

I only stated them as IFs because if I didn't I'd have gotten quoted and told to. I 100% feel this is the most depth and skilled Defenses we've had since the days Clay was younger, Raji was rolling and Collins and Woodson both had cleats on.

H

HardRightEdge

Why now and not a week or a month or 4 months ago? One wonders if the tipping point was a current medical assessment of the foot injury that put him on IR at the end of last season. The potential severity of foot injuries are often underappriciated among fans.

Regardless, I see it as the right move.
Here you have it, from Demovsky:

"Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said there were trade talks involving Mike Daniels, "but those came apart the last couple of weeks," which led to the decision to cut the veteran defensive tackle now. Gutekunst also mentioned Daniels' foot injury as a factor in the timing of the move."

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In what world is this the 'last shot' for the Packers?

Gutekunst got out in front of this one. Pulled a page from the Patriots play book. Noticed age and deterioration, along with a big contract. That equates to it's time to move on.

The moves the Packers are making sets up for a 3-4 year window of opportunity beginning in 2020 to hopefully snag another Super Bowl.

Suggesting this is the last shot for the Packers completely contradicts the direction the team has been going since firing McCarthy.
i didn't say "last shot." i said "best last-shot" and i explained why in the next sentence.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Overall, I understand the move completely. This move opens up 8 million in cap space for a 30 year old player That really only had one year left with injury concerns. I am still sad to see such a light hearted, hard worker leave the team. It really is a new regime in GB. I am excited to see this teams depth moving forward. And let’s get Kenny Clark’s contract signed.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why you have to stack drafts within a 4 year period accumulating a critical mass of good-to-great players on cheap rookie contracts to create a window of opportunity. If you do that odds are you will be a legit contender; if you don't then odds are you will not.
As Ali said, we're back to TTs draft and develop again. Hitting a elite LB in draft with mid/late round picks and hoping they'd do good...so many unpredictable stuff. Is Blake not worth that money? I'd say he's worth every cent.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The move makes zero sense. Other than Clark, all the Packers have is bodies on the d line. Giving a mediocre player like Lowry 7 million per year for 2 1/2 sacks per year is ridiculous. With that math, if any Packer gets 12 1\2 sacks in a year they'll pay him 35 million per year. Why not pay Daniels this year and let him walk. There isn't anybody of Daniels calibar that they can sign now to help them in 2019 with the 8 million.
Looks like its rebuilding time in Green Bay. Gute just punted on the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get this move. Where is the additional cap space gonna go to? Sure, we can roll it over to next year but I still think we could have used him. And I rather see that money spend this year. Maybe Martinez gets his contract now?

Wish you all the best Mike, you were a fighter and I think you deserved to play out your contract here.
I think now they focus on locking up Clark for 4 years. Not a bad move. But I liked Daniels. Another one of those business moves you love and hate.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The move makes zero sense. Other than Clark, all the Packers have is bodies on the d line. Giving a mediocre player like Lowry 7 million per year for 2 1/2 sacks per year is ridiculous. With that math, if any Packer gets 12 1\2 sacks in a year they'll pay him 35 million per year. Why not pay Daniels this year and let him walk. There isn't anybody of Daniels calibar that they can sign now to help them in 2019 with the 8 million.
I don’t know that Gluten punted on the season, but he’s betting on the come that the new additions more than compensate for the lack of depth w/o Daniels.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
you'd think a team taking one last shot would want all their best guys on board...and he clearly is still one of their best guys. he's a cap casualty plain and simple. it got too close for comfort.
One last shot isn’t the same as “best” last shot”

Bruh. You said this BEFORE “clarifying” that you supposedly meant “best” last shot. Either way, the first season with a new head coach and a completely different offensive system with a still somewhat young (mid 30s) quarterback isn’t your best last shot at anything. Cohesiveness and continuity will only get stronger moving forward.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going by Mack thread...elite is not necessary as most here are happy with likes of Smith's and Gary. Now if we even start passing on above average one's...we'll just be going back to TT's Draft and Develop and we all know how that ended. After AR and Davante, we don't have capacity for another elite player. So likes of Blake are the best available to us..is how I see this.
well it ended in a super bowl win and another team that "should have" before the roster got injured in key areas and followed with poor drafts. If Gute has a decade like Thompson, could probably call it a success. We should be so lucky.

anyway, when you hit on a 4th round pick that turns out to be good, you don't pay him like he's better than he is
What if Daniels is heavier, slower, weaker and still gimpy from his foot injury? Not something unlikely for an aging big big guy coming off foot injury that put him on IR last year and caused him to miss all the OTA's this year.

Reaction score
Yep. I am torn a bit. I think he will get better especially as the d-line and olb keep getting better. I just dont know how much I want to pay him. I hope he doesnt ask for Kendricks money at 10 million a year. If he does then it is time to move on for sure
I also think Martinez (as most players) would get better with a better Defense around him. I see him as a stellar clean up LB who’s very good at finding the football. As the D-Line improves and the QB gets more pressures (I think we will) I think he’s going to just get that much better. He would be suited perfectly to have a top notch coverage Backer next to him in the middle.

H

HardRightEdge

As Ali said, we're back to TTs draft and develop again. Hitting a elite LB in draft with mid/late round picks and hoping they'd do good...so many unpredictable stuff. Is Blake not worth that money? I'd say he's worth every cent.
It's not Thompson's draft and develop. It's everybody's draft and develop. It is what you must do. You just have to do it better than Thompson. You've got get more out of the day 1 and day 2 picks than Thompson yielded those past few years.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've come to terms with this... The combination of money, age, scheme, injury risk now that he's had a performance changing injury is likely what led to this. There's probably an algorithm somewhere that tells them it's time to cut bait. Or they're just using their football sense, who knows. I wish Daniels well, I think he was a good, if not great Packer. I like how he riled up the team and made headlines in all the right ways. Too bad we never got him a ring.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well it ended in a super bowl win and another team that "should have" before the roster got injured in key areas and followed with poor drafts. If Gute has a decade like Thompson, could probably call it a success. We should be so lucky.

anyway, when you hit on a 4th round pick that turns out to be good, you don't pay him like he's better than he is

What if Daniels is heavier, slower, weaker and still gimpy from his foot injury? Not something unlikely for an aging big big guy coming off foot injury that put him on IR last year and caused him to miss all the OTA's this year.
A heavier, gimpier Daniels is still better than the collection of mediocre trash heap players they have behind him on the depth chart. Adams and Lowry are just camp bodies. They've shown virtually nothing in their time so far. Signing Lowry to big money is especially a head scratcher. He is slow off the ball and blockers get into his body. Has he ever looked explosive? Now Clark can easily get double teamed thwarting what looked like it would be a promising season. Face it, Gute paniced and crapped the bed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know that Gluten punted on the season, but he’s betting on the come that the new additions more than compensate for the lack of depth w/o Daniels.
The new additions aren't defensive tackes. Clark and Daniels are the only players they have that can line up over the guard and center. Cutting Daniels blasted a massive hole on the team.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is coming off an injury and they cut him the day the vets took their physicals. That tells me they wanted him gone as soon as he was cleared medically.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't have the same quality depth at safety than on the defensive line. Therefore they might hold on to Josh Jones.

Gutekunst has to be smart regarding the salary cap, especially with the team having limited cap space moving forward. It might not be smart to overpay for an above average but not elite inside linebacker because of it.
Where is the quality depth on the d line? They have nobody behind Daniels. Adams and Lowry have shown virtually nothing so far. Lowry is slow and weak and while Adams can flash but he also lets himself get turned sideways and takes poor angles to the ball. Neither one can rush the passer or line up over guards and centers. Gute paniced and blasted a massive hole in the team He also may have ruined Clark's season. It will be easy to double team him since the other other defensive tackles are mediocre and can be easily blocked. Let's face it. Gute just punted on the season and admitted he's in rebuilding mode.

H

HardRightEdge

[Clark] can play some 3T, but I'm talking about the candidates for playing interior snaps next to him.
"Some"? So you did forget about him, didn't you? Just kidding. Maybe.

If he's the base NT and just one of the guys manning the 3-tech position, and not the #1 player at that position around whom the other guys rotate, then we better rethink extending him to the kind of money he'd bring on the free market.

Base NT play is limited to 20-30% of the snaps. If Clark gets his 65-70% snap count of the past two season, he's more 3-tech than NT, and that's the reason he'd be worth the high premium. If he's a 50% or less snap count guy, then don't pay him.

He won't be a 50% snap count guy barring injury.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
"Some"? So you did forget about him, didn't you? Just kidding. Maybe.

If he's the base NT and just one of the guys manning the 3-tech position, and not the #1 player at that position around whom the other guys rotate, then we better rethink extending him to the kind of money he'd bring on the free market.

Base NT play is limited to 20-30% of the snaps. If Clark gets his 65-70% snap count of the past two season, he's more 3-tech than NT, and that's the reason he'd be worth the high premium. If he's a 50% or less snap count guy, then don't pay him.

He won't be a 50% snap count guy barring injury.

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

On most passing downs, two interior rushers are used. Clark is a stalwart and he will be one of the two a good portion of the time-- though he isn't always rushing from the 3T.

I'm talking about players who are candidates to play next to him with Daniels gone.

H

HardRightEdge

Daniels current production didnt match his salary so I am not surprised they couldnt find a trade partner. I know a lot of Packer fans on social media and sports radio are going to be ranting about not trading Daniels but the question is this. Would you have traded for a guy producing like Daniels who is owed 8 million? No way. I dont think teams want to pay him that much let alone trade an asset for him
A team might be interested in such a trade for a one year rent-a-player with no long term commitment if injuries lead to desperation and they have the available cap space. Oakland signed Nelson to 2 years/$15 million when he was clearly in decline. While that was an FA signing, I would not have expected more than a lower round pick for Daniels, and perhaps a conditional one at that, where the value in trade would be minor. There would have been no additional cost to the Packers in holding out for a desperation offer all the way up to cut downs.

Since Gutekunst has been shopping Daniels for a couple of weeks, that created a problem in holding out longer for a deperation offer. The fact Daniels was being shopped would have gotten back to his agent. Now you would have had an unhappy player knowing he's on the block while his agent would have informed him that the handwriting on the wall is that he'll be cut if he can't be traded.

You wouldn't want that player in camp, and he would want his release now rather later providing more time to find a spot than, say, being cut a week before the season starts. We could say this move now was a win-win under the circumstances. If somebody wants to call this early release a magnanimous gesture on the part of the Packers in consideration of Daniel's time served, fell free to ignore my skepticism.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

On most passing downs, two interior rushers are used. Clark is a stalwart and he will be one of the two a good portion of the time-- though he isn't always rushing from the 3T.

I'm talking about players who are candidates to play next to him with Daniels gone.
That's what I said, and it is not complicated at all. Your "some" was a misrepresentation, now corrected. Some things are complicated, this isn't one of them.

So we're all good now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If Lowry can land nearly $7 mil per year there's no reason to think Martinez won't land back with the Packers for at least $8 mil per per year, probably more. It will be interesting to see if he's extended soon with some of that Daniels savings.

I fully expect the Packers to use the cap space saved by releasing Daniels on extending Clark.

nothing except his history. he's been a cornerstone player. now he's gone.

Daniels was a core player for most of his tenure with the Packers but his performance declined even before he suffered a season ending injury. I'm convinced he wouldn't have been a cornerstone player going forward.

Going by Mack thread...elite is not necessary as most here are happy with likes of Smith's and Gary. Now if we even start passing on above average one's...we'll just be going back to TT's Draft and Develop and we all know how that ended. After AR and Davante, we don't have capacity for another elite player. So likes of Blake are the best available to us..is how I see this.

Actually with a hard salary cap in place teams get in trouble by overpaying for mediocre players. Martinez might be one of those cases.

You're making the mistake of evaluating the move by solely considering Daniels' performance while he was still in his prime. It was pretty obvious he regressed last season and it wouldn't have been smart to pay him $8 million this season. Lowry on the other hand is an ascending player who has played at a pretty high level over the past three years who deserved to get extended.

The coaching staff seems to be fine with the depth on the defensive line, otherwise Gutekunst wouldn't have made the decision to release Daniels.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts