Packers are releasing Mike Daniels

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get this move. Where is the additional cap space gonna go to? Sure, we can roll it over to next year but I still think we could have used him. And I rather see that money spend this year. Maybe Martinez gets his contract now?

Wish you all the best Mike, you were a fighter and I think you deserved to play out your contract here.

Having just extended Dean Lowry, the next logical move would be to try to extend Kenny Clark. My guess is that Gutekunst has a set number in his head with regard to how much will be allotted to the front seven....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:

• Thanks Mike for your leadership, play, and dedication. You were fun to watch and I enjoyed your interviews.

• Fans dont seem to notice when our favorites start to falter. He has not been consistent the last 2 years.

• Timing of this tells me he maybe didnt show up in great shape or some of the young pups look really good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They've loaded up on guys who will take snaps at 3T. I would have preferred additional depth, but if they need the cap flexibility then I understand the move.

They have Dean Lowry, Za'Darius Smith, Montravius Adams, Rashan Gary, and Kingsley Keke who will all spend some pass rush snaps inside. And it may be that they felt he was done or close.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not trying to bury the guy just because he was let go, but I have noticed hints here and there over the past couple of seasons that Daniels wasn't the locker room leader that he was cracked up to be. If true, that may have factored.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not surprised by the move, slightly surprised by the timing. Do the savings now go to extensions, free agents still on the market or who may be cut, or just save it for a rainy day?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Who was beating him out though? I certainly don't recall anyone beating him in his position, and I while he may be declining he still was one of our best rushers, or better rushers. Plus he's a veteran leader. Didn't he have another year in his contract?

Clark has been the best defensive lineman on the Packers for the past two years and it seems Lowry moved past Daniels on the depth chart as well.

It wouldn't have made any sense to pay a rotational player on the decline $8 million this season.

Again i'm not surprised that we released him. Had I known we were going to release him, I would've tried to make a trade personally a year or two prior.

Gutekunst most likely tried to trade Daniels but didn't find any takers. His contract would have expired after the 2019 season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Daniels will probably sign with the Patriots for cheap and Billy B will figure out a way to make him a Pro Bowler again. :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

Well you called it.
I don't go around tooting my own horn like some, but in this case I cannot resist.

I called it, numerous times over the last few month: trade him, and if that cannot be accomplished, cut him for that $7.6 mil cap savings. And if I were to be a real ******, I'd say "from my mouth to Gutekunst's ear" on a wide range of personnel matters since free agency began. But I won't say that.

H

HardRightEdge

I think someone will find him serviceable, especially to a contender for a one year rental. I'll be pissed if one of our division rivals grab him.
I predict Daniels and Matthews will have the kind of seasons Nelson had last year: unimpactful.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't go around tooting my own horn like some, but in this case I cannot resist.

I called it, numerous times over the last few month: trade him, and if that cannot be accomplished, cut him for that $7.6 mil cap savings. And if I were to be a real ******, I'd say "from my mouth to Gutekunst's ear" on a wide range of personnel matters since free agency began. But I won't say that.

Your humility is a highly attractive trait. This is why I admire your posting. :roflmao:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you remember I was there with you. From a fiscal and field performance stance it was a decision we had to make sooner or later.

I share many of the sentiments expressed. Daniels was an awesome guy and as a fan a blast to watch play and hear not just his interviews but his story as well. He LOVED Green Bay...and I hate to imagine that is tarnished now. I wish him well and hope he does incredibly well...NOT AGAINST US...and maybe this will rejuvenate his performance.

Everyone is bringing up valid points but let's not just point to Adams as maybe ascending.....and not just Keke in the draft....and not some of the FA bringins that may slide in some....Lancaster proved late last year there was something possibly there in him. I mean you have Kenny (who we need to not let leave), Lowry and Adams/Lancaster/Keke....who knows who else.

Our DL didn't get worse...it just got shallower on experience IMO.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you'd think a team taking one last shot would want all their best guys on board...and he clearly is still one of their best guys. he's a cap casualty plain and simple. it got too close for comfort.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

you'd think a team taking one last shot would want all their best guys on board...and he clearly is still one of their best guys. he's a cap casualty plain and simple. it got too close for comfort.

Not sure you're implying this but the 2019 season isn't the last shot for the Packers.

Excepting AR12, who is the player who has been longest with us now?

Mason Crosby.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers should re-sign Martinez but there's no reason to pay him $8 million a season.

I know PFF isnt everything but Martinez was the highest rated ILB in the NFC North last year. Ahead of guys like Kendricks who got 10 million a year, Trevathan who got 7 million a year. So it seems to me like 7-9 million a year would make sense

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is nothing to suggest he is one of the best guys on the defense let alone the team. On defense he is not as good as Clark, Martinez, Alexander, Amos, likely the Smiths, and probably isnt as good as Lowry and a few others.

Then you can add Rodgers, Adams, Bahk, Linsley, Jones, etc

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I know PFF isnt everything but Martinez was the highest rated ILB in the NFC North last year. Ahead of guys like Kendricks who got 10 million a year, Trevathan who got 7 million a year. So it seems to me like 7-9 million a year would make sense

I just took a look at average salaries for inside linebackers and have to admit that it will most likely take around $8 million a season to re-sign Martinez.

I'm still not sure being in favor of it though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just took a look at average salaries for inside linebackers and have to admit that it will most likely take around $8 million a season to re-sign Martinez.

I'm still not sure being in favor of it though.

Yep. I am torn a bit. I think he will get better especially as the d-line and olb keep getting better. I just dont know how much I want to pay him. I hope he doesnt ask for Kendricks money at 10 million a year. If he does then it is time to move on for sure

Members online

Latest posts