Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

Reaction score
Spoke with a die hard Dallas fan a few moments ago, he approached me as he knew I’m a Packer fan. His take was that indeed,” Smith never lived up to his big contract” He said “he’d often hit the wrong hole or let TE’s run diagonal past him and get caught out of position. When he did meet someone in the hole it was over for the ball carrier. Very Solid tackler, but not going to beat the quicker guys to the Sideline.”

That said, he read about the $770K and said that was still a ridiculous steal for what’s left of the former Pro Bowler. He said he has really good energy and hustle, it’s just the knee never healed to his top 15 type draft projection.

Matt did a terrific job recruiting him and he obviously didn’t come for the $.
It’s my opinion he wants a SB Ring.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm very happy with the Packers signing Jaylon. I fully expect him to be an upgrade over whoever lined up next to Campbell this season.

Packermudgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he a really good player that just didn't fit the Dallas system?
Is he a previously really good player who's skills are fading fast?

I don't know.

What I do know is that he's likely very motivated to prove Dallas made a mistake cutting him.
I know he's playing the rest of this season for his next contract.
Whatever he's got left, I think we'll see the best of it the rest of this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn’t an edge rusher folks….
Sacks are everything dontcha know.
He said he wanted to play for Green Bay. Dallas is on the hook for $7 million this season, so he is getting paid. I'm sure he was good with another $700k to play and get legit playing time for a contender.
Not another 700k. That amount comes off of what the cowboys owe him. Still, you are right. He is getting exactly what he was supposed to get so he might as well go wherever he wanted to go.

It not exactly taking less money to play where he wants to but it is nice to know that he really wanted to come here. I'm guessing if some other team was his first choice that's where he would be. I'm not familiar with every teams LB corps but I can't imagine any team turning down the opportunity to get a guy like that for that kind of money.

I think its a very good move by gute.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you Cowboys....this made me smile....

What I don't understand is if the Panthers were willing to trade for him why wouldn't the cowboys take any offer they could get if they were going to release him anyway. I wonder if the Gilmore deal had anything to do with it. I'd like to see a timeline where the Panthers are involved. Did they make an offer for Smith? Did they back out when Gilmore became available?

It just seems strange that the cowboys wouldn't have jumped on any trade offer unless the were waiting for a better one and the Panthers moved on with Gilmore.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
What I don't understand is if the Panthers were willing to trade for him why wouldn't the cowboys take any offer they could get if they were going to release him anyway. I wonder if the Gilmore deal had anything to do with it. I'd like to see a timeline where the Panthers are involved. Did they make an offer for Smith? Did they back out when Gilmore became available?

It just seems strange that the cowboys wouldn't have jumped on any trade offer unless the were waiting for a better one and the Panthers moved on with Gilmore.
I'm not sure this is likely, but Jaylon Smith was a team captain for the Cowboys. I don't think he got cut due to attitude or off field issues. There was a respect between the franchise and the player. If Gilmore went for a 6th, I can't imagine that Smith would have been anything more than a 7th. It's possible, but again seems unlikely in the business world of the NFL, that there was enough respect for Smith to cut him and let him choose where he wanted to go. It doesn't make sense due to the money, but it is one scenario.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is likely, but Jaylon Smith was a team captain for the Cowboys. I don't think he got cut due to attitude or off field issues. There was a respect between the franchise and the player. If Gilmore went for a 6th, I can't imagine that Smith would have been anything more than a 7th. It's possible, but again seems unlikely in the business world of the NFL, that there was enough respect for Smith to cut him and let him choose where he wanted to go. It doesn't make sense due to the money, but it is one scenario.
I think it happens. I know there is this belief that players and teams have a completely contentious relationship with one only able to screw the other by holding out or cutting or sending to "siberia" to play out their career, but I do think there is a good amount of respect between many FO's and players.

It wouldn't surprise me to know they talked to him about landing spots and they both agreed on teams he'd go to and for what price and dallas said they wouldn't just send him anywhere.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can generally get on board with what you're saying Mondio, but at the same time, I don't think most front offices would let a good player go to a potential playoff rival within the same conference unless they were sure that said player was going to hurt the new team. They would have guided him towards an AFC team.

Tass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, fellas. First off, fair warning: I am a lifelong Dallas fan and I live in Texas. As someone who watches every Dallas game religiously and breaks everything down and rewatches and blah, blah, blah, I figured I would make myself available to answer any questions you might have about your new acquisition.

I have nothing against GB or it's fans and I'm not out to troll anyone. I will, however, tell the truth.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team traded for Smith they would have to pay his 7 million salary not Dallas. That is why nobody even offered a 7th round pick. If Carolina had not had the cap room and did not make the trade with N.E. and they released him then Gilmore would have signed cheaply (getting paid by PATS) wherever he chose. There might have been a couple of offers of 7th round picks (not GB) for Gilmore and Carolina beat those.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are saying that some teams may actually respect their players :whistling::whistling::whistling:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, fellas. First off, fair warning: I am a lifelong Dallas fan and I live in Texas. As someone who watches every Dallas game religiously and breaks everything down and rewatches and blah, blah, blah, I figured I would make myself available to answer any questions you might have about your new acquisition.

I have nothing against GB or it's fans and I'm not out to troll anyone. I will, however, tell the truth.
Okay quick test of your unbiased opinion: Did Dez actually catch the football? :roflmao:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team traded for Smith they would have to pay his 7 million salary not Dallas. That is why nobody even offered a 7th round pick. If Carolina had not had the cap room and did not make the trade with N.E. and they released him then Gilmore would have signed cheaply (getting paid by PATS) wherever he chose. There might have been a couple of offers of 7th round picks (not GB) for Gilmore and Carolina beat those.
According to the article the Panthers did offer a trade for Smith. If I recall Smith was cut before Gilmore so if the article is accurate Carolina offered a trade for Smith before the Pats were made an offer for Gilmore. Of course we don't know the timeline before the cuts happened or were supposed to happen in Gilmore's case so its possible the Panthers were in conversations with both teams at the same time and decided on Gilmore. Or maybe they made the same offer to both teams at the same time and the Pats were quicker to accept so they pulled the offer to the cowboys.

Tass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you didn't just offer it up, I will ask the question. What is your take on Jaylon Smith 2021?

I will preface my reply by saying I hope his getting cut serves as a wake up call to him and he gets back to being the successful player he was in 2018. He's been through a lot and him kicking butt and being in the Pro Bowl was an almost impossible achievement considering the horrific injury he endured in his last college appearance.

That said, last year and this year his play has been really bad. Some people said that he was bad in 2020 because of Nolan's scheme. Nothing changed this year under Quinn's scheme. It's not a scheme thing, it's Smith himself. The guy that was taking on blockers and manhandling them in 2018 is gone. I don't know if it's because he is afraid of injury or his leg/foot is actually injured, but he doesn't play with any power/get off. In an episode of Hard Knocks the linebackers were doing the sled drill. Jaylon was the only guy who could not push the sled up and explode away. When your highest paid linebacker can't do drills that high schoolers do, it's a problem. A fellow Cowboy fan made a post about the Smith situation and he pretty much encapsulates it perfectly:

"For several years now, Jaylon has been the sore spot of this defense and the majority of the fan base. The majority struggles to find what Jaylon does well at this juncture. The same could be said about the coaches he has had and their failure to put him in positions to succeed. When you watch the game film, usually the big runs are through his gap, where he either over pursues or makes the wrong read. His lack of instincts are clearly evident at a position that requires them. One false step at this level, an opposing back runs right past you. He often shies away from contact and runs around blockers, rather than take them on. For a MLB that's extremely difficult to have any success without possessing high level instincts. Very rarely did we see Jaylon make a tackle for loss, usually 5-10 yards down the field. He might be even worse in pass coverage. To be fair, this is where his drop foot injury becomes more evident. Jaylon really struggles when he has to change direction. His injury forced him to become more of a downhill, straight line player. Teams took advantage of his limitations in coverage where he is almost unplayable in this area.

With Jaylon now officially off the field, the Cowboys coaches have many strong options for the unit. Parsons can now fully become the Mike Linebacker in the base, which is a huge upgrade at the position. There are several strong options in the nickel where Neal, Lve, Cox and the two safeties can play that role against the pass and allow Parsons to rush a little bit in certain packages.

It's sad to see a player come back from such a horrible injury, to not be able to live out his contract, but the writing was on the wall for a few years now. I hope he finds success in Green Bay and we all wish him well. A new era has begun and it's now Parsons team."

Here is also a nice little video that shows you what I'm talking about: Jaylon Smith Breakdown

Me personally, I knew it was over when I watched how he looks when he has to change direction quickly. He can't plant and drive (at least he didn't here in Dallas since 2019). Focus on him during the game. I think you guys will be as frustrated as we were.

I hope he proves me wrong.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not a catch in my book. (I'm old school) If the ball hits the ground it's not a catch...I don't care what the new rulebook says.
You got that one right but before we let you stay you have to answer one more. Did Kramer move too soon?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will preface my reply by saying I hope his getting cut serves as a wake up call to him and he gets back to being the successful player he was in 2018. He's been through a lot and him kicking butt and being in the Pro Bowl was an almost impossible achievement considering the horrific injury he endured in his last college appearance.

That said, last year and this year his play has been really bad. Some people said that he was bad in 2020 because of Nolan's scheme. Nothing changed this year under Quinn's scheme. It's not a scheme thing, it's Smith himself. The guy that was taking on blockers and manhandling them in 2018 is gone. I don't know if it's because he is afraid of injury or his leg/foot is actually injured, but he doesn't play with any power/get off. In an episode of Hard Knocks the linebackers were doing the sled drill. Jaylon was the only guy who could not push the sled up and explode away. When your highest paid linebacker can't do drills that high schoolers do, it's a problem. A fellow Cowboy fan made a post about the Smith situation and he pretty much encapsulates it perfectly:

"For several years now, Jaylon has been the sore spot of this defense and the majority of the fan base. The majority struggles to find what Jaylon does well at this juncture. The same could be said about the coaches he has had and their failure to put him in positions to succeed. When you watch the game film, usually the big runs are through his gap, where he either over pursues or makes the wrong read. His lack of instincts are clearly evident at a position that requires them. One false step at this level, an opposing back runs right past you. He often shies away from contact and runs around blockers, rather than take them on. For a MLB that's extremely difficult to have any success without possessing high level instincts. Very rarely did we see Jaylon make a tackle for loss, usually 5-10 yards down the field. He might be even worse in pass coverage. To be fair, this is where his drop foot injury becomes more evident. Jaylon really struggles when he has to change direction. His injury forced him to become more of a downhill, straight line player. Teams took advantage of his limitations in coverage where he is almost unplayable in this area.

With Jaylon now officially off the field, the Cowboys coaches have many strong options for the unit. Parsons can now fully become the Mike Linebacker in the base, which is a huge upgrade at the position. There are several strong options in the nickel where Neal, Lve, Cox and the two safeties can play that role against the pass and allow Parsons to rush a little bit in certain packages.

It's sad to see a player come back from such a horrible injury, to not be able to live out his contract, but the writing was on the wall for a few years now. I hope he finds success in Green Bay and we all wish him well. A new era has begun and it's now Parsons team."

Here is also a nice little video that shows you what I'm talking about: Jaylon Smith Breakdown

Me personally, I knew it was over when I watched how he looks when he has to change direction quickly. He can't plant and drive (at least he didn't here in Dallas since 2019). Focus on him during the game. I think you guys will be as frustrated as we were.

Thanks for the analysis. Not what we wanted to hear, but appreciate the time you spent on this.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

Unfortunately, I think it actually still upgrades our defense. When Barnes was injured Summers was his replacement. All Summers did was play out of position and jump on the pile after the ball carrier was tackled. I'm embellishing a bit here, but if Summers is on the field our defense is in trouble.

To add another quick point here too, as others have stated, the price was right to take the risk.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One flaw in your assessment, well not a flaw exactly but a difference is that the cowboys have players that are better than Smith at the position whereas the Packers do not.

Basically what Krabs said.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That guy breaking down Jaylon's play was great. I am thankful for people that have the time and passion to do that work.

I'm not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg in terms of Jaylon's play and his apparently fall-from-grace in the locker room. As you stated, hopefully a change of scenery is able to turn things around for the guy. Maybe a differently locker room and different coaches' voices will get the hamster running in the wheel again.

Thanks for your post Tass

Members online

Latest posts