Packers and Aaron Rodgers agree on 3 yr 150 mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm ready to move on from him because I think the Packers have hit their ceiling with him as QB. I personally am weary of the different sideshows and media attention focused on him.
This is where I differ a bit, although I do worry about the sideshows that have been created by him. I do think he is probably the most talented QB in the NFL. While winning SB's is nice, it takes more than the MVP of the league to get you there. We all have seen the Packers play a handful of games without Rodgers, the offense stinks without him. Had TT and Gute given him a few more receiving weapons, I think at least 1 more SB, if not more would have happened for the Packers.

Now the part where we probably agree. Moving on from him will no doubt mean some back to back losing seasons, until either Love or another QB, as well as the offense, find ways to be a solid unit. That said, eventually the Packers will have to move on from Rodgers, this year wouldn't have been a bad year to do so IMO. By basically being forced to trade Adams, this offense is going to struggle a bit. Greatly? Probably not, but I don't see what I expect to be an improved defense and special teams, being able to make up the difference to get them to a Super Bowl. I also feel that trading him now, would have greatly increased our odds to improve the rest of the team with the draft picks and cap money we eventually gained.

The other part I struggle with is how to accurately measure the "good and bad" of how Rodgers effects his overall team and teammates. While it is obvious that some of his fans and the media don't like what he has done, there is really no tangible way to measure the feelings of his teammates and if what he does has a positive or negative effect. I am guessing that much like this forum, his teammates are probably leaning some each way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is where I differ a bit, although I do worry about the sideshows that have been created by him. I do think he is probably the most talented QB in the NFL. While winning SB's is nice, it takes more than the MVP of the league to get you there. We all have seen the Packers play a handful of games without Rodgers, the offense stinks without him. Had TT and Gute given him a few more receiving weapons, I think at least 1 more SB, if not more would have happened for the Packers.

Now the part where we probably agree. Moving on from him will no doubt mean some back to back losing seasons, until either Love or another QB, as well as the offense, find ways to be a solid unit. That said, eventually the Packers will have to move on from Rodgers, this year wouldn't have been a bad year to do so IMO. By basically being forced to trade Adams, this offense is going to struggle a bit. Greatly? Probably not, but I don't see what I expect to be an improved defense and special teams, being able to make up the difference to get them to a Super Bowl. I also feel that trading him now, would have greatly increased our odds to improve the rest of the team with the draft picks and cap money we eventually gained.

The other part I struggle with is how to accurately measure the "good and bad" of how Rodgers effects his overall team and teammates. While it is obvious that some of his fans and the media don't like what he has done, there is really no tangible way to measure the feelings of his teammates and if what he does has a positive or negative effect. I am guessing that much like this forum, his teammates are probably leaning some each way.
I don't think the offense would be a bottom 5 unit in effectiveness this year without Rodgers. I really have a lot of faith in LaFleur to design ways for Love to be at least moderately successful as he grows into the offensive scheme and I think without Rodgers contract on the books it would have allowed us to further improve a few spots on the team that need improvement. I think the defense is actually pretty close to being a top 3 unit in the NFL. All in all, I really am very optimistic about the quality of our core players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the offense would be a bottom 5 unit in effectiveness this year without Rodgers. I really have a lot of faith in LaFleur to design ways for Love to be at least moderately successful as he grows into the offensive scheme and I think without Rodgers contract on the books it would have allowed us to further improve a few spots on the team that need improvement. I think the defense is actually pretty close to being a top 3 unit in the NFL. All in all, I really am very optimistic about the quality of our core players.
Offense without Rodgers bottom 5? I agree with you that MLF would adjust and keep the offense out of the bottom 5. However, I doubt good enough to win more than half their games.

It looks like we won't find out this season, unless there is an injury or change of plans. Not knowing how long Rodgers is going to play is a handicap for the Packers. First, if he retires, they won't see any compensation for him. Second, if he just slowly fades, they keep paying him, but his contribution to the team diminishes. Third and I think probably more important, is who replaces him? As we saw with Love, Gute might have envisioned Rodgers career being shorter than it appears it is going to be. However, when and how do the Packers obtain his predecessor?

As you and I have pointed out, trading him now pretty much wipes out all the "whens and what ifs". The Packers would have been doing it on their terms. Mute point now though or so it appears. Gute and the Packers obviously decided that they would rather have Rodgers on the team, than the benefits they might have seen by trading him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Offense without Rodgers bottom 5? I agree with you that MLF would adjust and keep the offense out of the bottom 5. However, I doubt good enough to win more than half their games.

It looks like we won't find out this season, unless there is an injury or change of plans. Not knowing how long Rodgers is going to play is a handicap for the Packers. First, if he retires, they won't see any compensation for him. Second, if he just slowly fades, they keep paying him, but his contribution to the team diminishes. Third and I think probably more important, is who replaces him? As we saw with Love, Gute might have envisioned Rodgers career being shorter than it appears it is going to be. However, when and how do the Packers obtain his predecessor?

As you and I have pointed out, trading him now pretty much wipes out all the "whens and what ifs". The Packers would have been doing it on their terms. Mute point now though or so it appears. Gute and the Packers obviously decided that they would rather have Rodgers on the team, than the benefits they might have seen by trading him.
Very much agree with your last paragraph. I very, very much want the Packers to do this on their terms, not Aaron Rodger's terms if they don't align with the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Very much agree with your last paragraph. I very, very much want the Packers to do this on their terms, not Aaron Rodger's terms if they don't align with the Packers.
Ultimately, they probably will try to, it is a business after all. He totally proved his value over the last 2 seasons, as well as the fact that he hasn't started to decline. So that is a relief for the Packers and us fans and I also don't think there is going to be a debate whether the 2022 season won't be better with him, than without him. At some point that debate will happen and then the Packers will need to decide (if Rodgers hasn't already) to move on with or without him. His trade value at that point, probably next to nothing.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For real

I agree. I think the D is most important

MLF, with his scheme, I think most ANY qb could play in and we would be around Top 15-20.

Is AR better? Obviously

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting away with what? This is an opinion forum and I'm entitled to mine as much as you are to yours. If you think Love was a great pick, that's fine. I think it was a terrible pick and if you look at all the trouble that one pick caused, well no, it was a lousy pick by Gluten. Fortunately it was isolated and he's done much better since. (And that's not even accounting for the fact that in a WR-rich draft, Gluten took none, nada, zero.)

I know the argument put forth by people who like the Love pick - it hasn't played out yet. That's true. But how much are you willing to wager that Love will one day become a starting NFL QB and lead a team for many seasons? Eh? I'll take that bet and offer terrific odds. At this point he's barely a #2 backup.

Lousy pick. Period. It's in the past and I'm done commenting on it.
Hey Joe. You are right. Apologies. Glad at least one person is done about the Love trade. You kind of surprised me. Not going to put a gun in your hand when I **** you off.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had TT and Gute given him a few more receiving weapons, I think at least 1 more SB, if not more would have happened for the Packers.
That's practically the same thing Wolf said about Favre, his one great regret was not getting him more receiving weapons. The lack of receiving talent is definitely noticeable the last several years (after you get past Adams), but I always thought the knock on the Packers was that Rodgers didn't have a good enough defense to win another Super Bowl.

As for having a couple of down years when Rodgers leaves, we've had a lot of winning seasons over the last 30 years (as disappointing as some were), a few down years to pay for that and maybe get a few good draft picks isn't going to hurt me any.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's practically the same thing Wolf said about Favre, his one great regret was not getting him more receiving weapons. The lack of receiving talent is definitely noticeable the last several years (after you get past Adams), but I always thought the knock on the Packers was that Rodgers didn't have a good enough defense to win another Super Bowl.
I think you can point to a number of different things and they vary from year to year. The NFCCG against the Seahawks and last years loss to the 49'ers, I would pin mostly on special teams. However, in both of those loses, the offense wasn't really playing that well either, but both times, they were up against good defenses. Rodgers had a number of seasons where he had probably the best receiving weapons in the NFL and he only had 1 Super Bowl win during that time period.

I know a lot of people want to blame Rodgers for not winning more SB's, but there is only so much one player can do in a 20 game season. It takes a well balanced team, a few breaks here and there during each playoff game and of course, some overall luck with injuries, turnovers, etc. One thing some Packer fans really don't appreciate enough, are all the wins under Rodgers and the fact that despite only 1 SB win, most of his seasons, they were always in the mix.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe that kid was a 49ers fan, the 49ers seem to be his kryptonite.
I don't think Rodgers has once beaten SF in the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers has once beaten SF in the playoffs if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong.
Yup.....he is 0-4 against the 49'ers in the playoffs, with 2 games at home and 2 on the road.

For his career, he is 6-7 against the 9'ers in all games, including playoffs. So I guess 6-3 in the regular season isn't too bad. :)

Reactions: Do7

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.....he is 0-4 against the 49'ers in the playoffs, with 2 games at home and 2 on the road.

For his career, he is 6-7 against the 9'ers in all games, including playoffs. So I guess 6-3 in the regular season isn't too bad. :)
What's even more painful is the two losses at home have been on walk off field goals. The one was against Harbaugh and Kaep, when Rodgers came back the week prior after being gone due to that first collarbone injury. We would've won that game had Bush not bit hard, which allowed Kaep to get the first down and thus FG position to win.

Needless to say we know what happened this past encounter, but I still blame Rodgers for wetting the bed and playing pitiful. I am aware ST screwed us but still. Rodgers had plenty of times he could've thrown to the open receiver rather than force it to Adams on a homerun play. In the regular season stuff like that is fine, and when we have a sizable lead, maybe, but not when it's as close of a game like what had transpired.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If my last few posts rubbed some the wrong way, Im sorry.

But my God.

Some dont like him, and its okay

Some think he can do no wrong and its okay.

Be civil, dont disrespect others opinions by saying they are soft, or ridiculing them.

We all want a SB win..

I do not think anyone of us are employeed by the Pack or are tight with Rodgers...So we do not know what is trulying going on.

But the thought or implacations of I am right and your wrong ends now

My hero...lol ;):D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers isn't showing up for OTA's but I bet you all these guys will be there:

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky

More than $4 million at stake for 17 Packers players w/bonuses for attending offseason workouts, which began today.

David Bakhtiari: $700,000
Kenny Clark: $700k
Aaron Jones: $500k
Dean Lowry: $500k
Adrian Amos: $500k
Robert Tonyan: $200k
Rasul Douglas: $200k
Mason Crosby: $200k

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How does that work for an injured player like Tonyan?
I would guess that he shows up, does rehab work, goes to all the film studies, classroom stuff and then watches from the sidelines.

If I was a player, I would love this time of year. Getting back to work with friends and continuing my career. I love vacation time, but 3-4 months of it, I would be itching to go back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That’s right, every game it’s Rodgers verse the entire 49ers team. Maybe one day he’ll have teammates that impact the game?

Lots things going on in those losses; some of it Rodgers but most of it not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That’s right, every game it’s Rodgers verse the entire 49ers team. Maybe one day he’ll have teammates that impact the game?

Lots things going on in those losses; some of it Rodgers but most of it not.
Nope, Rodgers can't do it alone, but he also seems to get rattled a bit in big games when the other teams defense is making him uncomfortable in the pocket.

That first loss to the 49'ers Rodgers wasn't too bad, but the defense crapped the bed and gave up 263 passing yards to Kaepernick and 181 rushing yards to him. I think that game was one of the hardest games to watch as a Packer fan. They had no answers to stop him. Of course the game we lost to them 2 seasons ago in the playoffs, Raheem Mostert went nuts for 220 rushing yards and Garopolo was 6 of 8 for only 77 yards passing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see your sarcasm :) He's as passive aggressive as they come all over this board. he also confuses his little digs and shots he takes repeatedly at people with an opposing viewpoint as a legitimate "challenge" of that view point. he doesn't quite get that suggesting people read more inane OTA articles that serve nothing more to engage the fans and keep them excited for the upcoming season and suggesting the educate themselves more isn't really challenging someone else's opinion. It's nothing more than his way of trying to insult or take a dig

Just for the record, I respect Poker and come along with him pretty well despite disagreeing on a variety of topics.

I would disagree with your first statement. Go back and look at the discussion on Rodgers being "immunized". There is one Twit on this site that has defended him vehemently over that, even after Rodgers admitted his mistake.

Rodgers' teammates, the franchise and the league knew about him not being vaccinated. I actually don't care what he said to the media about it either.

As far as character flaws, we all have them Cap, but if you or anyone else is offended by discussing Rodgers character flaws in here, then we should stop discussing flaws in coaching, GM and other players.

I don't get offended by anyone mentioning Rodgers' character flaws. But my point is that you have no idea about any of it being true as you have never met him in person.

Let me ask you a simple question. If Rodgers was just another average player, say a backup QB, do you think the Packer organization would put up with him? I don't know your answer, but my answer would be "no". I think he would have been cut a long time ago. Yet, they just made him the highest paid player in the NFL at the age of 38. Why, because his talent is worth putting up with his B.S. for the Packer organization. I think for some of us, the scales finally tipped the other way.

Rodgers hasn't done anything that would make me believe the Packers would move on from him solely based on it.

Not going to let you keep getting away with this one. You have a really good fortune teller or something?

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers trading up for Love has been a mistake considering what has happened over the past two seasons. It's probable nothing will change about that in the next two years either.

I know the argument put forth by people who like the Love pick - it hasn't played out yet. That's true. But how much are you willing to wager that Love will one day become a starting NFL QB and lead a team for many seasons? Eh? I'll take that bet and offer terrific odds. At this point he's barely a #2 backup.

In addition it doesn't do the Packers any good if Love ends up a decent starter for another team.

I am going to have to completely disagree with you here. At this point he is one of the top back up QBs in the league.

I vehemently disagree with that statement as there's no evidence at all to support it.

Now Rodgers wasn't the only reason we lost, but he was downright awful, and if he wasn't so tunnel vision in targeting Adams then maybe we wouldn't have been in that position to have lost the game.

Instead of taking what is given to him by the defense and spreading the ball around like he used to back in the day he has become tunnel vision and would target Adams (it reminds me of Stafford always throwing it to Megatron back in the day). The faith I once had in him making the "right" play I'm now holding my breath, crossing my fingers hoping he doesn't do anything stupid, which is 50/50 at this point now.

Once again, Rodgers was 18-of-21 for 219 yards when targeting Adams and Jones vs. the Niners but only 2-of-6 for 6 yards when throwing to someone else in the playoff game vs. the Niners. On top of it, Lewis lost a fumble on one of those plays. So please, tell me how the offense would have been that much better by Rodgers spreading around the ball??? It's true he missed an open receiver on the last play but that happens to every quarterback in the league.

It's ridiculous to suggest he does something stupid on half the plays.

I'm ready to move on from him because I think the Packers have hit their ceiling with him as QB. I personally am weary of the different sideshows and media attention focused on him. I'm not sure if that mess is good for the other players and coaches. He has shown me for the last..... actually 8 years, going back to all the failed first half drives resulting in FG's instead of TD's in the Seattle NFC championship game that he isn't going to carry the team to victory in those tough games. I think the overall health of the franchise would be better if we had traded him to Denver a month ago. I'm not expecting any different end result this season with him. I think his cap number has reached the point now that he is hindering improvement in building other areas of the team. Just am saying all this so some people here don't think my thoughts are completely ridiculous. I see this situation as history repeating itself. We went through a similar situation with Favre at the end of his time in Green Bay and Rodgers imo has been acting a tad Favrish in the last 5 years imo.

Rodgers is more than capable to carry the team to a Super Bowl but the Packers need to surround him with more talent than they've done since 2011. As I've mentioned repeatedly Brady hasn't won a ring when not having a top 8 scoring defense, something the front office has failed to achieve even once over the past 11 seasons in Green Bay. In addition both Thompson and Gutekunst have done a terrible job of handling the receiving corps over the past few years.

His cap number is at 13.2% of the cap this upcoming season and not expected to raise above 16% in any of the next three years. That definitely shouldn't prevent the Packers to put together a team capable of contending for another Super Bowl.

That said, eventually the Packers will have to move on from Rodgers, this year wouldn't have been a bad year to do so IMO.

In my opinion it would have definitely been a terrible idea to trade away the two-time defending MVP. There will be a time to move on from Rodgers not far down the road but the team should take advantage of having an elite quarterback as long as possible.

I think you're fooling yourself by believing this offense would be any good without Rodgers.

As you and I have pointed out, trading him now pretty much wipes out all the "whens and what ifs".

Trading Rodgers would have resulted in different "whens and whatifs" though. Like when would the Packers have been eliminated from playoff contention, what if it would be smart to start Benkert over Love etc.

For real

MLF, with his scheme, I think most ANY qb could play in and we would be around Top 15-20.

That's wishful thinking, quite sure you will be proven wrong once Rodgers doesn't play for the Packers anymore.

Nope, Rodgers can't do it alone, but he also seems to get rattled a bit in big games when the other teams defense is making him uncomfortable in the pocket.

Every single quarterback in the NFL getting rattled when facing too much pressure. You might want to look at Mahomes and the Chiefs against the Bucs in the Super Bowl for evidence.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't feel like quoting so I won't. Obviously AR makes our O a Top 5 to 10 Offense but what I'm getting at with MLF..

RGIII, Goff, Matt Ryan, etc. Besides Ryan, those guys are bums. I believe MLF deserves a decent chunk of credit for their career years when he coached them

My point is, if you got some decent QB, with MLFs scheme we would still be Top 20 probably. Just expect a LOT of Aaron Jones and Dillon. A decent one, like a Fitzpatrick or someone

Obviously AR deserves a lot of credit, don't take this the wrong way, he's back to back MVP for a reason

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaptainWIMM just spat some of the hardest facts that will probably go to the wayside because the Packers front office can do no wrong in the eyes of many Packers fans.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaptainWIMM just spat some of the hardest facts that will probably go to the wayside because the Packers front office can do no wrong in the eyes of many Packers fans.
Just as Rodgers can do no wrong in the eyes of many fans. Clearly someone has failed over the past 10 years. Either Rodgers is choking, or the front office has failed to put a championship team around Rodgers. Or maybe a little bit of both. Or maybe a lot of one, and a small bit of the other.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as Rodgers can do no wrong in the eyes of many fans. Clearly someone has failed over the past 10 years. Either Rodgers is choking, or the front office has failed to put a championship team around Rodgers. Or maybe a little bit of both. Or maybe a lot of one, and a small bit of the other.
The truth always lies in between as the saying goes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, I respect Poker and come along with him pretty well despite disagreeing on a variety of topics.

Rodgers' teammates, the franchise and the league knew about him not being vaccinated. I actually don't care what he said to the media about it either.

I don't get offended by anyone mentioning Rodgers' character flaws. But my point is that you have no idea about any of it being true as you have never met him in person.

Rodgers hasn't done anything that would make me believe the Packers would move on from him solely based on it.

There's absolutely no doubt the Packers trading up for Love has been a mistake considering what has happened over the past two seasons. It's probable nothing will change about that in the next two years either.

In addition it doesn't do the Packers any good if Love ends up a decent starter for another team.

I vehemently disagree with that statement as there's no evidence at all to support it.

Once again, Rodgers was 18-of-21 for 219 yards when targeting Adams and Jones vs. the Niners but only 2-of-6 for 6 yards when throwing to someone else in the playoff game vs. the Niners. On top of it, Lewis lost a fumble on one of those plays. So please, tell me how the offense would have been that much better by Rodgers spreading around the ball??? It's true he missed an open receiver on the last play but that happens to every quarterback in the league.

It's ridiculous to suggest he does something stupid on half the plays.

Rodgers is more than capable to carry the team to a Super Bowl but the Packers need to surround him with more talent than they've done since 2011. As I've mentioned repeatedly Brady hasn't won a ring when not having a top 8 scoring defense, something the front office has failed to achieve even once over the past 11 seasons in Green Bay. In addition both Thompson and Gutekunst have done a terrible job of handling the receiving corps over the past few years.

His cap number is at 13.2% of the cap this upcoming season and not expected to raise above 16% in any of the next three years. That definitely shouldn't prevent the Packers to put together a team capable of contending for another Super Bowl.

In my opinion it would have definitely been a terrible idea to trade away the two-time defending MVP. There will be a time to move on from Rodgers not far down the road but the team should take advantage of having an elite quarterback as long as possible.
I am going to have to completely disagree with you here. At this point he is one of the top back up QBs in the league.

I think you're fooling yourself by believing this offense would be any good without Rodgers.

Trading Rodgers would have resulted in different "whens and whatifs" though. Like when would the Packers have been eliminated from playoff contention, what if it would be smart to start Benkert over Love etc.

That's wishful thinking, quite sure you will be proven wrong once Rodgers doesn't play for the Packers anymore.

Every single quarterback in the NFL getting rattled when facing too much pressure. You might want to look at Mahomes and the Chiefs against the Bucs in the Super Bowl for evidence.
Hey Cap, I think Schultz was joking about Love when he wrote "I am going to have to completely disagree with you here. At this point he is one of the top back up QBs in the league."

Well, at least I hope he was joking, right Schultz? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts