Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm supposed to continue holding out hope for Amari?
Personally, I’d like to see some improvement, any improvement in year 2. Otherwise, keep him and decide in camp next year if he stays or goes. Hopefully he does something this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Buckeye I could pick this guy apart, but I won’t. Should they have taken him there? His lack of production say no way in heck. They reached big time. The guy is a physical freak! That’s not even a debate...but even with all those tools he didn’t put up big numbers. Idk man, I’m feeling like they drafted based off his physical attributes.

@rodell330 Aren't you happy he is a Packer now? :D

Maybe now some people can understand why I use the word INSANITY!!!!!!!!! because that's what it is down to the truest core of it all. This is a dysfunctional franchise folks that has zero clue what there doing and people have been in denial about it because Aaron Rodgers OVERCAME THE INEPTITUDE. He is getting older and can't anymore. IT'S OVER!!!!

I never expected things to go my way with this draft but I couldnt of imagined or thought up a way the Packers could of screwed this up more then they have. This is a disaster waiting to happen in a big way.

Way to go GUTE. You drafted a physically gifted guy with zero heart and lazy. This is gonna be worse then the Datone Jones pick.

I don't share your optimism. A lot of people think I overvalue offense but the reality is the Packers ACTUAL ACTIONS has been OVERVALUING THE DEFENSE and today they did more of that without a doubt REACHING ALL OVER THE BOARD. I don't need to see anymore to know Gute has no clue what he is doing and I don't care who they draft tomorrow.

They over paid guys to come in and they over drafted these guys today. It's just what they do.

All this $ and all these picks and I still don't see one damn GAME CHANGER. It's all a bunch of HOT AIR. I really hate being negative about this but I've called the last two seasons with concerns and I have a firm idea how this is all going to play out. This isnt easy for me because they could of turned the tide with the right moves.

What happened today and this offseason is gonna hurt Packer Nation for a long long tine.

Man I forgot how big of a callous to this board brandon was.....geeesh...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I never expected things to go my way with this draft but I couldnt of imagined or thought up a way the Packers could of screwed this up more then they have. This is a disaster waiting to happen in a big way.

That right there pretty much sums up why some posters can be pretty damn annoying. If things don't happen the way they think they should, they go postal.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of miss rodell330. It was predictable that after each game he would predict that the sky was falling. It kind of reminds me of the MASH episode with 5 o'clock Charlie. It kind of became a party to watch rodell330's tirades...

Then again, I am happy not to even think about addressing that constant negativity.

Resurrecting this thread just shows that you can't judge these drafts until these guys get to their third year (plus or minus a year). Some players are late bloomers. Some are all flash and no substance. For the most part it takes time to tell...and I'm happy that Gary has made Gutekunst look smart.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't know for certain for a few years whether this was a horrific pick. But it is not looking good.

I now expect the Packers to take D.K. Metcalf at 30. Another underperforming football player with great measurables.
Probably my favorite snarky post in this entire thread. Had we actually followed his advice and taken Metcalf, this draft would have been the haul of the century!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Probably my favorite snarky post in this entire thread. Had we actually followed his advice and taken Metcalf, this draft would have been the haul of the century!
I'm going to beat someone to it....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen over the years, the vast majority of rookies aren't even ready to play a down, when they get to the NFL. It can take one to three years, for them to get up to speed.

Gary is an example of that. In his rookie year, a lot of people were calling for his head. The same was true for a part of his second year. But, what we've seen out of him since then is the real package they envisioned when they drafted him. They used him properly, and it paid dividends. The same could be said about Love. His time as an understudy has paid dividends. I think he would have possibly been on his way out of the league at this point, had he not gotten the opportunity to learn before being thrown into the fire. Just the fact that he was replacing the 2nd of two HOF QBs in a row put him in a real pressure pot.

At this point, I don't think Gutey has done a bad job with his drafts. Not great, but not bad. Some misses, but some good picks too. Some of the problem is coaching. It's been especially visible on the defensive staff. They just haven't made our defense work efficiently, and consistently, to this point. It is what it is. We have to live with it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute has had some great drafts and some poor drafts. It happens. Overall they appear to be on the positive side of the ledger.

As far as getting mad at posters because of their opinions, why? The whole point of a forum, at least why I am here, is to share your opinion and gain other perspectives and insights. Disagreements happen, you can't take it personal. Some do come here to tell everyone what their opinion should be, and Brandon was one of the worst. But I think there was some emotional/developmental issues there, so I tried to be kind.

Anyway, we all want to express our opinions and should be respectful about it. I have my hits and I have my misses.

I was very concerned with the Gary pick citing his lack of production in college. Got a little frustrated with the argument, but oh well. It all has worked out. I pushed for Jeffery Simmons that year. So I hit as well. And I'm not sure, but he may have been the better pick, he and Clark on the DL would be impressive.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've seen over the years, the vast majority of rookies aren't even ready to play a down, when they get to the NFL. It can take one to three years, for them to get up to speed.

Gary is an example of that. In his rookie year, a lot of people were calling for his head. The same was true for a part of his second year. But, what we've seen out of him since then is the real package they envisioned when they drafted him. They used him properly, and it paid dividends. The same could be said about Love. His time as an understudy has paid dividends. I think he would have possibly been on his way out of the league at this point, had he not gotten the opportunity to learn before being thrown into the fire. Just the fact that he was replacing the 2nd of two HOF QBs in a row put him in a real pressure pot.

At this point, I don't think Gutey has done a bad job with his drafts. Not great, but not bad. Some misses, but some good picks too. Some of the problem is coaching. It's been especially visible on the defensive staff. They just haven't made our defense work efficiently, and consistently, to this point. It is what it is. We have to live with it.

All depends on the prospect, Doubs and Watson stepped right in - Musgrave - Quay - Stokes - Reed - Tom even later in his first year when chance happened and excelled - Brooks - LVN - Wooden. All depends on the prospect, position and to what degree are the snaps (play a down).

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All depends on the prospect, Doubs and Watson stepped right in - Musgrave - Quay - Stokes - Reed - Tom even later in his first year when chance happened and excelled - Brooks - LVN - Wooden. All depends on the prospect, position and to what degree are the snaps (play a down).

I note that Brooks seems to have moved ahead of Wooden in the rotation...I like his upside.

Zach Tom...To get a guy like that in the 4th round...Well done, Gutey.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I note that Brooks seems to have moved ahead of Wooden in the rotation...I like his upside.

Zach Tom...To get a guy like that in the 4th round...Well done, Gutey.

Just depends on match up and scheme I think for Brooks and Wooden - both will still get in there and they'll ride the hotter hand. Brooks to me plays the run a touch better right now than Wooden personally. But we also have to remember they're two very different body types - with Brooks having essentially an extra 20 pounds on Wooden.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just depends on match up and scheme I think for Brooks and Wooden - both will still get in there and they'll ride the hotter hand. Brooks to me plays the run a touch better right now than Wooden personally. But we also have to remember they're two very different body types - with Brooks having essentially an extra 20 pounds on Wooden.

And also that they are both rookies and it is pretty early in the development process.

The Pack should be happy to have them both.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gute has had some great drafts and some poor drafts. It happens. Overall they appear to be on the positive side of the ledger.

As far as getting mad at posters because of their opinions, why? The whole point of a forum, at least why I am here, is to share your opinion and gain other perspectives and insights. Disagreements happen, you can't take it personal. Some do come here to tell everyone what their opinion should be, and Brandon was one of the worst. But I think there was some emotional/developmental issues there, so I tried to be kind.

Anyway, we all want to express our opinions and should be respectful about it. I have my hits and I have my misses.

I was very concerned with the Gary pick citing his lack of production in college. Got a little frustrated with the argument, but oh well. It all has worked out. I pushed for Jeffery Simmons that year. So I hit as well. And I'm not sure, but he may have been the better pick, he and Clark on the DL would be impressive.
Something we've definitely been missing over at least the last 6-7 years is that second consistently stout interior defensive lineman. If we'd have had that, it would have improved our defense considerably. As it is, for almost the entirety of the last 30 years, we've been drafting in the back half of every round, every draft. That adds up to an incredible amount of disadvantage in drafting. My kudos go out to Wolf, Thompson, Gutekunst and the scouts. They've done an incredible job overall of keeping a contingent of core players in place to keep us constantly in the hunt.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think too much emphasis is put on developing the draft picks. A guy like Rashan Gary needed some time. It totally depends on the player and I just don't think it is automatic that they cannot play well until developed more. And I think often times coaches and fans just automatically think that a rookie has to wait. The flip side is Aaron Jones. He was ready from day one and Big Mike did not want to give a rookie a real chance imho. Anybody that thinks he needed time to learn to catch the ball needs their head examined. That was just another excuse not to play the young guy.

Latest posts