Packers 1st round selection, #12 overall: Rashan Gary, DE

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. It initially seemed odd to go sign 2 FA OLB and then use a #12 draft selection only for limited usage off the bench. You’d think the #12th best player in college wouldn’t serve Gatorade to the starters. :whistling:
That was weird, but Gluten is always a step or two ahead. Although I don't like to think of a #12 pick as a "project". But it did take Gary at least two years before we could see that talent. So Gluten grabbed the Smiths and used them and Gary was worked in. Again, I'd expect a #12 pick to make some impact year 1. But it worked out. Even if Z hadn't ****** up his back, he would have been gone this year.

Gluten did the same thing with Dillon. He couldn't win that year. He got gas for trading up to take Love, and he got gas for using a #2 pick on a RB. But that worked out well too.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. They still have Gary's 5th year, which is 2023 to do that.
Poker - don't you think Gary is gonna want a new contract next year? Given his production and reliability, I don't think he'll want to play for "only" $10.8 mil. Geez, the problems some people have.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Gary, when is he due an extension? I think after next year, though they'll probably do it sooner next year.

Great dilemma.

Does GB pay Gary after this season or wait til the end of the 2023 season and then pay.

This year is crucial for him and he's playing like it.

If he exceeds 10 sacks on the year, then GB should offer.

If he doesn't post double digit sacks, then wait and see.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great dilemma.

Does GB pay Gary after this season or wait til the end of the 2023 season and then pay.

This year is crucial for him and he's playing like it.

If he exceeds 10 sacks on the year, then GB should offer.

If he doesn't post double digit sacks, then wait and see.
I think if he has a "contract" year this year, his agent will be all over the Packers for new deal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

This is really interesting, thanks V. So they paid him up front, well mostly. I think they did that with Love, and probably all 1st rounders. So they'll have to extend him before the end of this year. Whoo boy, and Jenkins is coming up too.

A rookie contract runs for four years. With a wage scale in place there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to negotiate and those deals aren't backloaded much.

Teams can exercise a more expensive fifth year option on first rounder after three seasons.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A rookie contract runs for four years. With a wage scale in place there's not a whole lot of wiggle room to negotiate and those deals aren't backloaded much.

Teams can exercise a more expensive fifth year option on first rounder after three seasons.
Thanks. Yeah I knew there was a salary range for draftees based on where they were taken. And I also understand teams can exercise a fifth year option at, I think, a pre-determined salary based on the contract. Wouldn't the Packers be better off just extending Gary before 2023? He's still young and still improving. Seems better to sign him earlier while he may be more affordable.

I guess that door swings both ways. He could also get injured or his play could fall off. So far neither of those seem likely, but injury is always a wild card.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I also understand teams can exercise a fifth year option at, I think, a pre-determined salary based on the contract.

The salary for the fifth year option is actually determined by position.

Wouldn't the Packers be better off just extending Gary before 2023? He's still young and still improving. Seems better to sign him earlier while he may be more affordable.

I guess that door swings both ways. He could also get injured or his play could fall off. So far neither of those seem likely, but injury is always a wild card.

I would prefer the Packers to sign Gary to a long-term deal after this season as well. There's no rush to do it as they have him under contract for another season though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The salary for the fifth year option is actually determined by position.

I would prefer the Packers to sign Gary to a long-term deal after this season as well. There's no rush to do it as they have him under contract for another season though.
Thanks. Makes sense about the fifth year salary, much as the tag works by position. Here's hoping they can get Gary signed soon. He looks great.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst took a ton of heat for this selection. He definitely deserves high praise for nailing this draft pick.
Good point. The word on Gary coming out of MI was "freak athlete" but with little college production to show for it (that is, sacks). And then Gluten signs the Smiths in FA. Seemed strange at the time.

Now it seems like genius. Gary has 5 sacks in 4 games and he's helping in the run game (and they need the help.....).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never write off a draft pick until after they've competed in their third year in the league.
That's good advice. The challenge then, for a slower-developing player, is to stay relevant and productive, even if it's at the margins. He has to be good enough not to be replaced.

Davantae Adams is a good example. I loved the pick out of college (I know, easy to say now), but his first two years were spotty. There was a stretch where it seemed all he did was argue with the refs over imagined PI calls.

Once he got over that, and with the benefit of two years in the league, he became..... well we all know what he became.

Reaction score
While it’s early on into the season, Gary would be a strong initial pick for “2022 Most Disruptive Defender” after the first 4 contests.

He’s on pace for 21 Sacks
20+ TFL
78 Tackles,
4FF
4FR
25 QB hits

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it’s early on into the season, Gary would be a strong initial pick for “2022 Most Disruptive Defender” after the first 4 contests.

He’s on pace for 21 Sacks
20+ TFL
78 Tackles,
4FF
4FR
25 QB hits
Do you mean Defensive Player of the Year? I didn't think there was a category for most disruptive.

Reaction score
Do you mean Defensive Player of the Year? I didn't think there was a category for most disruptive.
I made it up.:tup:

And what’s worse, I thought about going with “Scariest” in lieu of Halloween.
He’s basically our own Michael Meyers (less the Chefs knife)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to look back and note all the angst in this thread when Gary was drafted...I'm guessing most are at least okay with the pick now.

:p