Packer history proves pre-season games do mean something

ohiopacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi was 42-8 overall and 24-3 in his championship years.

The Pack was 8-1 in the '96 and '97 Super Bowl years.

I know you don't want to risk injury to the starters in these games , which we won't . But we need to win these games to have a winning attitude going into the regular season.

GO PACK :cross:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. Preseason games mean NOTHING! Because as you all know most of the time the starters yes starters in other words the "People who play all the time" dont play hardly at all in the preseason games. How can you possibily detirmine a season on preseason games?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and admire agopackgo5

This topic is going to come up on every forum. for every team.... It always does.

The records of teams in the pre season compared to the record of the team at the end of the regular season.

The fact is, we can crunch numbers any way we want. Positive or negative.

We can not judge anything until "Game Day" The first week of the season. And even then our judgement means squat.

By week Five the true colors will show.

Except of course for the Vikings..... We all know what is going to happen, even when they are 5-0 after week five.

RP

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
Yes, the preseason is a barometer for the season.

No it is not. The preseason is nothing more than a way to decide if players who were already on the bubble will be let go. Many great teams have had poor preseason records. The Bears went 1-3 in 1985 and went 18-1 when it counted. I love football as much as anyone here, but watching a bunch of 3rd stingers stumbling through a sloppy game does not do it for me.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok........what is that? A horse???? Any way thank you for you people out there who have sense anyone who thinks that the preseason means somthing is crazy and you have no clue what you are talking about.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, lighten up, it is football, well at least as close to football as you can get at this time of year. Football is such a good and wonderful thing you can't just rush into it. You have to ease into it, or else one might go into shock if one started with huge helpings of such a good thing. That's why we start with the FA period, just to get the blood circulating. Then TC, a little more action, with holdouts to get us going a little more. Next is preseason, which is very close, building and building like air in a balloon. Then comes the season,boom, and all he11 breaks lose. We cheer and groan with the ups and downs until it gets really serious- the Playoffs. Everything else is put on hold during the Playoffs until after we reach the pinnacle-the Super Bowl. And then we can exhale. They even have a way to ease us down, so we don't have to quit cold turkey-the draft.

And in Green Bay we have something more, because our fans are so rabid, we need to ease into the season even more lest some fans perish. So we came up with Family Night. And tonight is the night!

MAN, I LOVE FOOTBALL.
:towel: :chest: :thumbsup: :cheerleader: :joy: :mrgreen: :beer: :lol: :USA:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi and Holmgren made it a priority to win preseason games. Other winning coaches have not. So I don' t think a team's preseason record is a very good indicator of what's to come, although it's not totally meaningless either.

I'm just happy that training camp is finally here. When I log into my favorite Packer sites I can actually read about football instead of charity golf tournaments.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO a good preseason record can be an indication of depth. In order to win the game your starters and bench have to perform.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos, you are right. And as for it being football I agree I can never wait until the first preseason game it is great! But just becuase it is Packers football doesnt mean that it counts for anything. And as for the coaches trying to win preseason games yes they do. Why wouldn't they??? But just because they try to win does NOT mean that is counts for anything and it can not tell you how your team is going to do in the regular season.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it means something and it doesn't. if you go 0-4 it doesn't mean that you suck and if you go 4-0 it doesn't mean that you are PO bound. But it's still good to get on a roll and win a couple heading into the season with heads held high.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But do you think that players like Favre, and Green and other top notch players loose sleep at night wondering if they will win or loose? Because I doubt that they do because they will not be playing and they know even if they do play it doesn't mean anything. It is nice to win, but I dont see how winning a preseason game can carry over to the regular season because for one thing it is not even the same players out on the field for most of the time.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We always hear about the queens when they are doing very well in pre-season in our area. As soon as they win two pre=season games, they are going to the Super Bowl. When was the last time they were there. In my opinion, I think the pre=season games are for weeding out some players and keeping others. I don't get too upset if the Pack doesn't win their pre-season games. Let's keep our thoughts positive, and hope that the Pack wins the games that count--especially the queens games. :D :lol: :p :wink:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
it means something and it doesn't. if you go 0-4 it doesn't mean that you suck and if you go 4-0 it doesn't mean that you are PO bound. But it's still good to get on a roll and win a couple heading into the season with heads held high.

If you go 0-4 it means you lack depth vs your opponents and as long as you don't get injured, oh wait didn't the Patriots go 1-3 and suffer injuries so many they had WR doing double duty as CB?

There goes that theory

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts