Packer Breakout players of 2021

Reaction score
Can a rookie break out? I don’t think they can. I’m of the opinion that breaking out means you have to have been in a place first.
Maybe an exception would be in running for
“Rookie of the Year”
Or maybe I don’t want to jinx our Rookies! :roflmao:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope its Aaron Rodgers and if he's not there I hope its Jordan Love.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if a rookie had a quiet start to the year and then crushes it once given the opportunity it's a breakout to me... like if Dillon went crazy for us last year after the Tennessee game and ran for a couple of touchdowns each game to close out the season I'd say he broke out.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah JJ definitely broke out in the 2nd half of the season compared to his 1st half.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. And I completely disagree. Justin Jefferson broke out in a big way last year.

But the parameters which Glee clearly outlined in his post doesn't fit Justin Jefferson's play last year. It wouldn't fit any single rookie last season. Which is why he asked you to re-read simply, because you were disagreeing with something that didn't exist.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. And I completely disagree. Justin Jefferson broke out in a big way last year.

His very good season has nothing to do with what I would consider a breakout season.

What did he breakout from? He started out good. Typically the definition of a breakout in sports terms is success after a period of struggle, or much improved play from what we’ve seen. I don’t think a rookie fits in that definition.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Look out for UDFA WR Bailey Gaither out of James Jones alma mater San Jose St.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look out for UDFA WR Bailey Gaither out of James Jones alma mater San Jose St.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Gaither is a slippery guy to peg, I spent a little time on him in draft prep but was a guy I just thought wouldn’t need drafted so stopped further analysis. Be great if he can be pocketed on PS

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the parameters which Glee clearly outlined in his post doesn't fit Justin Jefferson's play last year. It wouldn't fit any single rookie last season. Which is why he asked you to re-read simply, because you were disagreeing with something that didn't exist.

Yes, and I was disagreeing with his parameters. E.g., did Aaron Rodgers have a great season last year if we define "great season" as best season in a player's career? By those parameters, Rodgers didn't have a breakout season.

When a rookie eclipses the rookie season that lead Wolf to draft 3 consecutive corners, then that should be classified as a breakout. Otherwise you might literally never have a season you could define as "breakout" for Jefferson.

Seriously, by his standards Jefferson could have 1,300 yards next year with 6 TDs and it wouldn't be a breakout. The only way Jefferson could have a breakout season by those standards is if he literally has a top-30 all-time receiving yardage season; 30th highest referring yards in a season was 1,569 by Andre Johnson and I doubt most people would consider an increase of 11% in yardage to be a big jump.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His very good season has nothing to do with what I would consider a breakout season.

What did he breakout from? He started out good. Typically the definition of a breakout in sports terms is success after a period of struggle, or much improved play from what we’ve seen. I don’t think a rookie fits in that definition.

So he has to have a top-25 all time receiving year to break out? Do you see the difficulty with this? He had 1,400 yards. I think 200+ more yards would fit your definition but now Jefferson can't have a breakout season without having the 21st most receiving yards in a season ever.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think breakout means to suddenly make an impact. So a rookie can breakout. Rodgers could breakout out if he takes his impact to a new level. I'm thinking 7,000 yards, 75 TDs, 40 for 40 on field goals and average 50+ yds punting.

But come on. Let's not argue about what breakout means to each poster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think breakout means to suddenly make an impact. So a rookie can breakout. Rodgers could breakout out if he takes his impact to a new level. I'm thinking 7,000 yards, 75 TDs, 40 for 40 on field goals and average 50+ yds punting.

But come on. Let's not argue about what breakout means to each poster.

I think it is fair to disagree with someone's stance on it, but this is why many folks have stated their reasoning for their selections - removes questionings or just arguments over interpretations.

I don't believe a rookie can be considered a breakout selection at all - others might - the issue is when folks post disagreement with perhaps my choices by stating as example Justin Jefferson proves you're wrong or they say I'm wrong - but then it is purely their opinion differs.

Disagreeing is one thing, stating someone is wrong is not just disagreeing - but both should have substantiation to the stance provided for clarity. I'm not even always the best at this - but admit it.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was mostly ignoring the argument but there are more posts arguing the definition than on discussing the merits of various breakout players.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I chose a rookie. Just thought that if a rookie affects games in a positive manner; it is a breakout. I guess if I can't choose a rookie; then my O would be Sternberger. I think he has good hands and good size. We'll see if he gets targeted a bit more when he is in there. Still go with Barnes on D. I think he will be better. And I thought he helped a lot last year down the stretch.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keke - he was looking good late last season. Word is he put on 17 lbs of muscle and is in outstanding shape. Clearly he is working hard and is focused.
Word is that I have put on 17lbs of fat and am in relatively poor shape. Clearly I have not been working hard and lack focus.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OFFENSE I was tempted to joke around and say Mason Crosby, but I didn't want to draw CaptainWMs ire. My real choice is Alan Lazard. I think that he was starting to figure it out when he got that injury last season. If we have a stable QB situation then my pick is Lazard. If not, then I am actually going to pick Blake Bortles....for real.

DEFENSE I would like to say Kamal Martin but I think that injuries will continue to plague him, so I'll go with the rookie and choose Eric Stokes. It might not be until later in the season but he seems like he will figure it out sooner than later.

p.s. IMO rookies should never be relied upon to contribute significantly in their first year. No matter where they get drafted or their position, they are still first year players adjusting to the highest level of football at a relatively young age. Therefore, a rookie can break out and play beyond my expectations.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts