PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted May 30, 2007

Packers board faces leadership question

Harlan succession top order of business today

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

Today's quarterly meeting of the Green Bay Packers' board of directors was supposed to be John Jones' first day at the team's helm as president and chief executive officer.

Instead, after the stunning news over the weekend that Jones is out as replacement for Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bob Harlan, the 11 a.m. meeting now will take up a topic critical to the franchise's future: How should the Packers search for a new successor to run one of the most historic and revered franchises in American sports?

The board first will have to pass a resolution to extend Harlan's stay as chairman and CEO beyond the retirement age of 70 as mandated in the team's bylaws. Harlan will stay in that position until his replacement is in place, which could take anywhere from a few months to as long as a year.

Jason Wied, the team's vice president of administration and corporate counsel, was drawing up a resolution on Tuesday to extend Harlan's tenure. Harlan said Tuesday the board won't raise the mandatory retirement age.

Jones officially is on administrative leave. Harlan cited only "management issues" as the reason behind Jones' departure, but it's become clear that Harlan and the team's ruling executive committee over the past several months developed misgivings about Jones because of glitches in the function of the administrative side of the organization, as well as complaints about Jones by subordinates.

Jones presumably is on leave until he and the Packers agree on a severance package.

The Packers' executive committee now has to decide how to choose Harlan's replacement. One possibility is following the procedure former team President Judge Robert Parins used to promote Harlan as his successor in 1989. For that hiring, Parins formed a search committee comprised of members from both the executive committee and the board as a whole. They vetted candidates for a short list of candidates to interview, after which Parins recommended Harlan to the executive committee.

Unlike in '89, it's now common for sports franchises to hire a national search firm to compile a short list of candidates. Harlan and the team's search committee then could interview those candidates and recommend one to the executive committee, which ultimately makes the hire.

It's almost a given the Packers will hire a high-ranking official with an NFL team who has experience in both administrative and league matters. There appear to be only two candidates who work for the Packers: Wied, who is 35, and Andrew Brandt, the team's vice president of player finance and general counsel, who is 46.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
why not Ron Wolf

As stated several times before. He's too old. The mandatory age for retiring is 70.

i seen your post before, but isn't that age discrimination? The NFL can say noone can be CEO of an NFL team if they are over 70. I never heard of that or ever seen it written that Wolf can not be president of the Packers b/c he is to old.
do you have a link or story to back this up?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
why not Ron Wolf

As stated several times before. He's too old. The mandatory age for retiring is 70.

i seen your post before, but isn't that age discrimination? The NFL can say noone can be CEO of an NFL team if they are over 70. I never heard of that or ever seen it written that Wolf can not be president of the Packers b/c he is to old.

Its not age discrimination at all. The board has a mandated age, 70.

I can't believe you are incapable of doing a little five minute research on something and instead have to have someone do it for you.

Source Link

The board first will have to pass a resolution to extend Harlan's stay as chairman and CEO beyond the retirement age of 70 as mandated in the team's bylaws.

I don't believe its the NFL that has this mandate, I believe its the Packers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
why not Ron Wolf

Its not age discrimination at all. The board has a mandated age, 70.

I can't believe you are incapable of doing a little five minute research on something and instead have to have someone do it for you.

Source Link

The board first will have to pass a resolution to extend Harlan's stay as chairman and CEO beyond the retirement age of 70 as mandated in the team's bylaws.

I don't believe its the NFL that has this mandate, I believe its the Packers.
Zero......is that what you go out on, on a lonely Friday night?
A "mandate???" LOLOLOL!!! :rotflmao:
J/K!!!!! :rotflmao: