Out With The Old, In With The New

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Robert Tonyan thread, I pointed to this article about the 6 areas the Packers have improved upon in 2020 that is making their offense work better:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/6-areas-where-packers-have-improved-most-on-offense-in-2020/

At the end of the Tonyan section, they mentioned that the Packers should have considered moving on from Jimmy Graham last year. Of course, we have no way of knowing if Tonyan was ready to be the TE that he is in 2020. However, this brings up an interesting thought.

What other positions do you see at this point in the season where you feel that the veteran should be pushed out in favor of the young, up-and-comer?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What other positions do you see at this point in the season where you feel that the veteran should be pushed out in favor of the young, up-and-comer?

Linsley will be replaced strictly due to cap restraints, not talent. Originally I thought Jenkins was drafted for that job, but who knows where Jenkins will end up due to his versatility, just about anywhere. Jon Runyon will probably factor into this, he has been a pleasant surprise.

I don't see any other offensive position where someone has proven they are better than the guy ahead of them. Dillon was supposed to replace either Williams or Jones, I don't see that just yet.

Defensively, they probably need to find a replacement for King. Jackson definitely isn't it and not sure about Sullivan or Hollman. Really this has been the problem with the Defense, that of development and the lack of. Here you have first round pick Gary, who will be heading into Season #3 and I don't think he is an upgrade over either Smith. No DL ready to step up and Adams was a 3rd round pick and Keke a 5th. ILB's meh. Safeties? Redmond, Green and Scott are JAGS.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Linsley will be replaced strictly due to cap restraints, not talent. Originally I thought Jenkins was drafted for that job, but who knows where Jenkins will end up due to his versatility, just about anywhere. Jon Runyon will probably factor into this, he has been a pleasant surprise.

I don't see any other offensive position where someone has proven they are better than the guy ahead of them. Dillon was supposed to replace either Williams or Jones, I don't see that just yet.

Defensively, they probably need to find a replacement for King. Jackson definitely isn't it and not sure about Sullivan or Hollman. Really this has been the problem with the Defense, that of development and the lack of. Here you have first round pick Gary, who will be heading into Season #3 and I don't think he is an upgrade over either Smith. No DL ready to step up and Adams was a 3rd round pick and Keke a 5th. ILB's meh. Safeties? Redmond, Green and Scott are JAGS.
Your mention of King is of particular interest to me. He has been the subject of much criticism, but it really seems that the defense is much worse when he is not on the field.... which unfortunately is far too often to make him worth 2nd contract money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Your mention of King is of particular interest to me. He has been the subject of much criticism, but it really seems that the defense is much worse when he is not on the field.... which unfortunately is far too often to make him worth 2nd contract money.

No doubt King is an upgrade over what we currently have behind him, but the problem is, can you rely on him?

I hope King is back on a deal that reflects who he is, someone who can't play all 16 games. I don't think that will happen though, some cap fat team is going to see his value and roll the dice on his health and pay him way more than the Packers should.

So whether he is back or not, you still have to plan for his absence (temporary or permanent). I think CB will be a high draft priority, no matter what King does.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Right after the initial post was an ad for a fake ****** ... Just sayin'... Aimed at men over 55... Out with old???

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

They moved on from T. Williams as well. Saw he just latched on in Baltimore. Next season the roster will look a lot different due to cap causalities. King, Jones, J. Williams, Lindsey, will all be gone. As for out with the old, I hate to say it, but Lewis is probably on that short list.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking about sitting Kirksey and letting Martin and Burks play. Of course I would prefer Barnes to Burks. Just don't like Kirksey and don't trust Summers. And Linsley, but that is settled for 3 weeks at least so we will know more by then.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I get...wooohooo

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Man... when I took those pictures I told her not to put them on Facebook... I just knew they’d show up in some awkward places.;)

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't see any other positions on our roster where we have a young dude who seems ready to push the veteran out. PikeBadger, the only one on your list that I even marginally agree with is center, but as Pokerbrat correctly pointed out it's more about the cap and availability than anything else.

Kirksey does seem lost in coverage sometimes, but he certainly helps our run defense. I'm not sure that Martin is ready yet, or healthy enough.

Gary is not ready to push out one of the Smiths, but if we let Preston go in the offseason then Gary would be the natural next man up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
She wanted to break the news herself. I really try and respect those boundaries.... especially after that incident with his sister.

I know a guy who had a 3some with his GF and her Twin. I asked him if he could tell the 2 apart and he said "yes, the moustache is a dead give away".

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mrs. El Guapo's aunts did a husband swap back in the 70s. The two couples each divorced and then re-married. The new marriages have survived the past 40+ years.

Mrs. El Guapo is off the market. I always tell her that my socks-and-sandals look in public is my external "off the market" sign for all of the ladies...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Right after the initial post was an ad for a fake ****** ... Just sayin'... Aimed at men over 55... Out with old???
@Shaggy won't like this but my PI-Hole keeps all that crap away. So glad the kid put it in, and couldn't take it with when he moved out. Blocks his work VPN or sumtin'. I only see ads at work and on my phone. Blocks them on Youtube somehow also.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I don't see any other positions on our roster where we have a young dude who seems ready to push the veteran out. PikeBadger, the only one on your list that I even marginally agree with is center, but as Pokerbrat correctly pointed out it's more about the cap and availability than anything else.

Kirksey does seem lost in coverage sometimes, but he certainly helps our run defense. I'm not sure that Martin is ready yet, or healthy enough.

Gary is not ready to push out one of the Smiths, but if we let Preston go in the offseason then Gary would be the natural next man up.
I don’t think King will be re-signed. I expect Lowry will be replaced. I was joking about Crosby.

Latest posts