Our Special Teams

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Punts, Frank.... punts. They're not the same as kickoffs. I never defended our kickoff coverage. Overall our special teams (including ALL units) are mediocre. Nothing has changed.
Yeah overall, our punt returns and coverage are mediocre.
Our kick units are atrocious.

I am tickled though, that we have blocked a punt! Two of them!
Of course, Johnny Kuhn went and ruined one of them by going and touching/losing the free ball, and giving the ball back to the opponent. I felt so bad for Slocum after that one. I remember them showing Kuhn, with another player, standing next to Slocum trying to explain himself.... Slocum said nothing, and turned away with a deep pained expression on his face......we still won that game though.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we returned a punt for a TD. I'm right here. We also stuffed Patterson the rest of the game.
OK, I see that this guy who denied that our special teams was horrible has apparently been BANNED.
I hope it was for that ignorant denial of evidence, way back..... now this here as we head into December, it's no better.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=11731&is_corp=1

Player of the game: It’s hard to give it to a Packers player after a loss like that, so how about an ex-Packers player? Wide receiver/kick returner Jeremy Ross was released on Sept. 25, one day after a costly fumble that resulted in a touchdown at Cincinnati.
Since Ross’ departure, the kickoff return game hasn’t improved at allthe Packers remain dead last in the league – but Ross certainly had a day to remember against this former team. He not only caught a 5-yard touchdown pass (his first career touchdown catch), return three kickoffs for 70 yards (including a 30-yard return) and four punts for 46 yards (most of it on a 35-yard return), but he also had a 60-yard fourth-quarter punt return wiped out by what certainly appeared to be a phantom holding call.
Our coverage units were and are soft. Just like our overall defense and our OL.

What cracks me up the most are the scapegoats.

On kickoffs, our coverage units were so slow, so soft, tentative, that once Masthay's kicks (which were usually about 5 yards deep into the end zone), were returned, and the KR made it to past the 25 before being touched..... so Slocum pulls Masthay and goes to Crosby. Like it's Masthay to blame even though the kickoff went 8 yards deep.

Then on returns, whether KR or PR, no blocking ever.... our KR gets killed before the 15-yard line, our PRs get hammered almost simultaneously with the ball arriving, with no blocking except for the hold or push in the backs... so Slocum releases Ross when he fumbles.

I have wondered for years if he practices return units breaking thru blocking walls.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the guy here who said our special teams wasn't terrible?
Who tried to argue with me last week?
It's gotten worse than even I feared:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ing-in-return-game-b99158056z1-234850471.html

Packers' historic collapses returning and covering kicks have become significant issues with no answers in sight.
Green Bay sports an 18.0-yard average returning kickoffs, which if it stands up would be its worst since averaging the same in 1989.
Opponents have averaged 28.2 yards against the Packers, which would break the opponents' record of 27.8 set in 1948.
The Packers rank 32nd in each category. They've been dead last since Oct. 21
, and with their sizable leads figure to finish last when the regular season grinds to a close.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
It's gotten worse than even I feared:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ing-in-return-game-b99158056z1-234850471.html

Packers' historic collapses returning and covering kicks have become significant issues with no answers in sight.
Green Bay sports an 18.0-yard average returning kickoffs, which if it stands up would be its worst since averaging the same in 1989.
Opponents have averaged 28.2 yards against the Packers, which would break the opponents' record of 27.8 set in 1948.
The Packers rank 32nd in each category. They've been dead last since Oct. 21
, and with their sizable leads figure to finish last when the regular season grinds to a close.
It has to do with AR not keeping the offense on the field. Its all on AR

Members online

Latest posts