1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Our Special Teams

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    Yeah overall, our punt returns and coverage are mediocre.
    Our kick units are atrocious.

I am tickled though, that we have blocked a punt! Two of them!
    Of course, Johnny Kuhn went and ruined one of them by going and touching/losing the free ball, and giving the ball back to the opponent. I felt so bad for Slocum after that one. I remember them showing Kuhn, with another player, standing next to Slocum trying to explain himself.... Slocum said nothing, and turned away with a deep pained expression on his face......we still won that game though.

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    OK, I see that this guy who denied that our special teams was horrible has apparently been BANNED.
    I hope it was for that ignorant denial of evidence, way back..... now this here as we head into December, it's no better.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=11731&is_corp=1

Our coverage units were and are soft. Just like our overall defense and our OL.

What cracks me up the most are the scapegoats.

On kickoffs, our coverage units were so slow, so soft, tentative, that once Masthay's kicks (which were usually about 5 yards deep into the end zone), were returned, and the KR made it to past the 25 before being touched..... so Slocum pulls Masthay and goes to Crosby. Like it's Masthay to blame even though the kickoff went 8 yards deep.

Then on returns, whether KR or PR, no blocking ever.... our KR gets killed before the 15-yard line, our PRs get hammered almost simultaneously with the ball arriving, with no blocking except for the hold or push in the backs... so Slocum releases Ross when he fumbles.

I have wondered for years if he practices return units breaking thru blocking walls.

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,678
    It's gotten worse than even I feared:
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ing-in-return-game-b99158056z1-234850471.html

Packers' historic collapses returning and covering kicks have become significant issues with no answers in sight.
    Green Bay sports an 18.0-yard average returning kickoffs, which if it stands up would be its worst since averaging the same in 1989.
    Opponents have averaged 28.2 yards against the Packers, which would break the opponents' record of 27.8 set in 1948.
    The Packers rank 32nd in each category. They've been dead last since Oct. 21
    , and with their sizable leads figure to finish last when the regular season grinds to a close.

5. Bus Cook

Bus Cook You're never alone with a schizophrenic

Ratings:
    +226
    It has to do with AR not keeping the offense on the field. Its all on AR