Our new kick returner??

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From GB Press-Gazette:

Sam Shields, CB, Miami 5-10 ¾, 183: Started 15 games at receiver in his first three years, then converted to cornerback as a senior. Had no interceptions last season but put up outstanding workout numbers at his Pro Day, where he blistered the 40-yard dash in 4.30 seconds and 4.33 seconds, had a 39-inch vertical jump and an 11-1 broad jump. Scored a touchdown on an 84-yard reverse off a kickoff return last season. Was arrested in March for misdemeanor possession of marijuana.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I like Crosby's leg strength. He just has to make 'em from outside the 40.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields' time in the 40 (4.30) is only .02 sec off the fastest in the combine this year. He can fly, if he can stay out of trouble.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. Didn't use a draft pick on him, probably because of his legal trouble but still looks to be worth a shot.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he pans out, he could be a great return guy at this level, and he's gotta be a better d-back than Bush, hopefully he gets released soon, don't even drag him through the camps this year, ugh.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the arrest scared him straight and he wont f**k up any more. He sounds like he really does have great potential.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't count Blackmon out, yet...

And give Charles Dillon a chance...

We may have something with this three...

I agree, I am still high on Dillon. The Colts which are known to be a great drafting team picked him up as an UFA after 2008 draft and were talking him up that summer as a possible starting K/P returner until he got injured and then they had to make room on the roster so gave him up. He looked good in the videos from arena football so he is obviously now healthy. So the fact that we did not take an obvious returner in this draft we do have options.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Don't count Blackmon out, yet...

And give Charles Dillon a chance...

We may have something with this three...
Blackmon's always hurt and I'm just guessing but I don't think Charles Dillon can run a 4.3 flat. Shields is the one I want to see the most chances at doing this in the preseason.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Neither can Wes Welker or Josh Cribbs...
The return man bar, to me, starts with Devin Hester when he was going strong. I feel pretty confident Hester has 4.3 speed. I've never seen anybody as explosive returning kicks as Hester was, so I'm modeling my ideal return guy after him, which is why I favor Shields over the other 2.

bravesman18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope one of these guys becomes a good kick/punt returner. Our returners have seemed like they don't even exist for the past few years to me.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackmon's always hurt and I'm just guessing but I don't think Charles Dillon can run a 4.3 flat. Shields is the one I want to see the most chances at doing this in the preseason.

When Dillon came out of college he ran a 4.46 at his Pro day. Not too bad if you ask me.

Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im betting Roscoe Parrish of the Bills goes on the waiver after they drafted Spiller, he'd could be had for nothing and is still really good.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The return man bar, to me, starts with Devin Hester when he was going strong. I feel pretty confident Hester has 4.3 speed. I've never seen anybody as explosive returning kicks as Hester was, so I'm modeling my ideal return guy after him, which is why I favor Shields over the other 2.

While it is true that guys with 4.3 speed are more likely to be successful as returners, "field vision" is a more important attribute. Players that can identify where the seams are and locate the open lanes can also be wonderful returnmen. This is why guys like Cribbs, Blackmon and Josh Wilson from the 'hawks are good returners.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More on Shields:

Green Bay may have pulled a fast one in signing Shields

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Miami’s Sam Shields runs past Wisconsin cornerback Aaron Henry on an 84-yard kickoff return in the Champs Sports Bowl last December.

Swift prospect's stock fell after March incident

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: April 27, 2010

Green Bay — It's a fact. Cornerback Sam Shields is the fastest man on the Green Bay Packers.
This will take time, but it's also entirely possible that Shields could rival Derrick Martin as their most dynamic special-teams player.
For a $7,500 signing bonus and a minimum contract, the Packers got themselves a free agent from the University of Miami with the speed and the versatility to find a way onto the 53-man roster.
Seven teams wanted to sign Shields when the draft ended Saturday. Green Bay, one of the two clubs Shields visited, won out.
"I liked Green Bay, the Hall of Fame, everything," Shields said from Miami. "I talked to my head coach, Randy Shannon, and I also did my homework on the depth chart and how I could fit in as far as special teams. I thought it was the best fit for me."
You won't find many wide receivers-turned-cornerbacks talking about their chances to play special teams. Shields didn't mean returning kicks, although he'd like to try that. He meant covering kicks.
Shields, 5 feet, 10½ inches and 186 pounds, did that his last three seasons at "The U," both punts and kickoffs.
"Gunner - that's one of my specialties right there," said Shields. "I love it. I (forced) a lot of fair catches."
Wiry and tough, Shields wasn't often manhandled at the line. Give him half a step and it was see you later.
At pro day March 26 in Coral Gables, scouts clocked his two 40-yard dashes in 4.30 and 4.33 seconds. Some teams then subtract 0.02 because of the grass surface.
So put Shields down for 4.28, a number that would blow away everybody on the roster.
"He can flat fly," an AFC personnel man said. "And he plays it with pads on. In the Texas vs. the Nation Game, when he turned to run, it was special."
Recruited as a wide receiver out of Sarasota, Fla., Shields started 15 of 36 games from 2006-'08. Each year, his playing time and production decreased. Shields finished with 75 receptions for 971 yards (12.9) and seven touchdowns, but scouts say he dropped way too many passes.
Rather than relegate Shields to a special-teams only role as a senior, Shannon moved him to cornerback last spring. He started 10 games there for a 9-4 team, breaking up two passes and intercepting none, and was named the team's most improved player.
"He might be that (special) teams guy you make a spot for," the AFC scout said. "He can run all day with wideouts, but his problem is finishing at the ball. It's all new to him. But he might be your fifth corner, and he might end up being your fifth wideout."
Before the events of March 18, Shields figured he might be drafted in the third or fourth round. Several scouts pegged him in the later rounds.
An unmarried father of two daughters, Shields was en route to pick up one of them at her grandmother's house in Sarasota. Shortly after arrival, Shields was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of possession of marijuana (less than 20 grams). He spent that night in the Sarasota County Jail.
The story made headlines across Florida and was noted everywhere else.
Now move ahead to April 14, when the charges were dropped after Shields paid some court costs.
"Basically, everybody thinks I got pulled over because I was smoking pot and all that," Shields said. ". . . I was never arrested before. I never tested positive on a drug test. I smoked in high school, but I didn't like it. That was about it."
According to Shields, Sarasota police raided the residence shortly after he arrived because they suspected drugs were being sold there. Shields said he was not using marijuana and was falsely arrested.
Shields conceded that he deserved to be suspended by Shannon for the '07 opener because "I was immature at the time and wasn't going to class."
Shields also didn't complain about Shannon benching him for another game in '07 because of poor practice habits.
"He knows how fast I run," Shields said. "I didn't think so, but Coach Shannon said I wasn't running fast enough. He's tough. That's what I like."
Having interviewed Shields at length, the AFC executive expressed no misgivings about his character.
"Talking to him, going over his history, how he talked about other people and coaches. . .  he never bad-mouthed anybody," the scout said. "You don't detect attitude in him. He's humble. Well-mannered. Unassuming. He'll do the best of his ability whatever they ask him to do."
Aside from apprenticing under Charles Woodson, Shields can't wait to resume his relationship with cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt.
"When we were looking at my film, he saw the raw talent and said he could coach me up," said Shields. "I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. It will make me better in life."

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal Mar. 27, 2010

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ivo, I hope you're right. The guy sure has a problem with making good decisions, however. Maybe the Packers will straighten him out.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a lot of good guys on this team that can help him get on the right track. Woodson, Harris, Collins, Barnett, Rodgers, Driver, Jennings, are all very high character players and have been around long enough to help put him on the right track.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts