1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Our MOST VALUABLE Players

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, May 4, 2010.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Rank them in terms of indispensible.
    In other words, if they get hurt for the season, who's the most important.

#1- Rodgers; He's the captain of the ship, Matt Flynn most likely isn't the next Tom Brady, or even Matt Cassell

#2- Woodson; He's the playmaker, the game-changer, and the only guy who can cover well anymore in our CB corrall

#3- Matthews; The only guy who conistently pressured QB's. We saw in AZ and Pit and MN what happens to our defense when nobody gets to QB's.

#4- Driver; He's been remarkably durable, consistent, and reliable. He means more to our team than a anyone realizes. It's the old addage: You don't know what you got til it's gone. I know.

#5- Jennings; Our deep threat, defenses can tighten up if he's out. They also can double Driver.

#6- Pickett; Our great run defense would suffer big time without Big Grease at the nose. Very underrated Packer, but TT paid the man big $ because he knows.

#7- Clifton & Tauscher; They're the same. When in there, Rodgers is much safer, feels more comfortable, and he racks up stats like 1984 Dan Marino.

#9- Collins; Our mini-version of Ed Reed, he's a playmaker back there. He gambles a lot though, and when he guesses wrong, we see disasters like the Cardinal and Steeler game where Nick was AWOL.

#10- Tie, Sitton, Barnett, Jenkins, Grant, Finley; Sitton is so good, but he's un-noticable. That's a good thing usually for a OG. Barnett gets a bad rap, but he's solid out there, very good against the run, decent against the pass unless the fuquing D-coordinator makes him run with Early Doucett down the field 30 yards. Jenkins is our best interior pass rusher, which is why Neal and Wilson were brought in. CJ77 might be too good for this 3-4 system as he's a playmaking DE. Might leave for a 4-3 after this year.

Grant is our most underrated player. He simply produces, over and over. And unlike the flashier guys like Peterson, he doesn't cough the ball up all the time, or ever. Finley, as we know, is emerging into a Pro Bowl TE. He should be there this year if there are no catastrophic injuries to the Offense this year.

Who has a different list?

2. Mack_20

Mack_20 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Great list, I agree with 1-5 completely, really think the entire thing is good, however, I would add:

B.J. Raji - After an injury filled first season, he has a lot to prove to us in the second season, lot of potential there, hopefully he can show it.

Tramon Williams- May have to fill in for Al again as a starter and we need him to be a rock for us, he did well last year, hopefully he gets even better this offseason and holds down the edge opposite Woodson well for us

Jermichael Finley - Has a chance to be the best TE in the league. A physical freak, very glad to have him, he is a dangerous weapon and is a match-up nightmare.

I guess the first two are more something to prove rather than our most valuable, but hopefully you see where I went with it

3. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Second most important players are Clifton and Tauscher, could be rated number one. If they don't block, A-rod and the rest will do nothing as we go 3 and out and have to punt from deep on our side of the field. We lose the field position game that puts our defense in bad situations and on the field all the time.

Without question as I write this, A-rod/Clifton/Tauscher are a 3 way tie for the most important players on this team.

The success of this team rides on the decisions A-rod makes, but he has to have a second or two to make them, if he can get 5 seconds watch out.

With that said in second place will be Lang or Bulaga, they maybe needed to step in these all too important positions.

The rest of the players are key to winning, as football is a true team sport.

However on defense the most important players are our defensive line, if they can not collapse the pocket around the other teams QB, Woodson and others will have a long game.

4. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Wow got to say I love all these posts and I think you have pretty much said everyone apart from MAson CROSBY!

5. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    That was a perfect list, but it's difficult to predict entering the season...

I would put the tackles above the wrs, though...

To me, the most important positions (not players) are, after the QB, T, DE/OLB, CB.

6. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    #1 Rodgers
    #2 Harris
    #3 Cliffy (tho maybe not any more with quality backups
    #4 Woodson
    #5 Picket
    #6 Jennings
    #7 Mathews
    #8 Collins
    #9 Driver
    #10 Blackmon (again, maybe not this year)

* people forget that Harris is the man who covers opponents #1 receiver, not Woodson. Tho that may change after his injury, this has been our biggest strength. When Harris went down everyone got shifted UP, including Woodson.

** Jennings is higher than Driver because he is always constantly double teamed, and Driver gets more catches because of that. Take away those double teams and Driver's stats go down.

7. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    People forget how important the WR's are.
    If any of you are old enough to remember the Packers in 1996-2003, you will remember how much Farve's production dropped when he was missing his key WR's.

I remember a 3-game stretch in the title season when the WRs were hurt, where the offense was horseschit and they had to bring in Andre Rison to help.

And in 2004 when Javon Walker went down week one, the whole season went to hell.

Not only are our WR's Driver and Jennings great, they have been working with AGOD for awhile and they are in synch. That can't be replaced.

8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Rodgers
    Woodson
    Matthews
    Finley
    Jennings
    Tauscher
    Clifton
    Pickett
    Jenkins
    Tramon

Addressing a few of the issues I know will be brought up:
    -Finley's so high because of my firm belief that after this year he'll be a top 5 NFL tight end.

-Driver's absent because he's old as the hills. And because I think Jordy Nelson could step in and we wouldn't lose a whole lot of production.

-Tramon Williams is the future at corner. That's what makes him so valuable, the fact that in a few years he'll be the guy. And I think he's more than capable of handling that.

9. CM_Awesome

CM_Awesome Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    1. Rodgers
    2. Woodson
    3. Clifton and Tauscher
    4. Matthews
    5. Finley

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    My point isn't that WRs aren't important. Is that a LT is more.

We had Jennings, Driver and Finley against MN, but Daryn freaking Colledge at LT, and Alan Barbre at RT. How did that go?

Rodgers can't throw if he's on his back... That's my point. You can make a case now that, with Bulaga, Clifton going down wouldn't hurt us so much. And I would agree.

But I wasn't referencing to players, rather to position... In a league that consistantly spread it's offenses, having an elite WR isn't as important as an elite LT, IMHO...

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    1. Rodgers
    2. Woodson
    3. Mathews
    4. Barnett
    5. Collins
    6. Jennings
    7. Finley
    8. Grant
    9. Jenkins
    10. Driver

12. packers020802

packers020802 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +55
    1. Rodgers
    2. Chad Clifton
    3. Mark Tauscher
    4. Scott Wells
    5. Woodson
    6. Finley
    7. Mathews
    8. Collins
    9. Jennings
    10. Harris

If you don't have #'s 2, 3 and 4 on this list, you end up losing to teams like Tampa Bay!!!!
    The Oline is next on the list after #12 when it comes to value. No doubt about it.

13. MelrosE

MelrosE Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    1. Rodgers, this is an obvious one.
    2. Tauscher and Clifton; if they don't produce good, our whole offense goes to ****.
    3. Matthews; simply because every team NEEDS a pass rush, and he provides us with the best.
    4. Woodson; he's our one shutdown guy, without him we'd be in quite some trouble.
    5. Collins; huge playmaker, and a game changer.
    6. Driver/Jennings; we thrive on these two with our short passes and quick slants.
    7. Pickett/Raji; our run-stoppers and pocket crashers, very vital in our D.
    8. Barnett; our vocal leader of the D. Although I think Hawk would be to take this job if he went down, but he's our natural leader out there it seems.
    9. Grant; Every team needs somewhat of a run game, and he does a good job and produces for us.
    10. Finley; BEST TE in the league, matchup nightmare for the other teams, he will show that this year.

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Oh yes I agree the OT positions are crucial. We lost to Cinci because our LT made Antwan Odom look like..... well Adewale Ogunluye against Barbre.

And I agree, elite WR's are overrated. The greatest 2 WRs of the past decade+ are Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Neither has a ring.

I don't think Driver is elite, nor is Jennings. Jennings is closer though. It's just that without them, the offense will struggle IMO because the timing will change, which makes a huge difference.

Using #1 on Bulaga was supposed to alleviate the worry of injury to Clifton and/or Tauscher.

15. 3irty1

3irty1 Fear the Dreads!

Ratings:
    +115
    I think Wide Recievers shouldn't be rated as high in this just due to the depth we have. It would suck if Jennings or Driver went down, but with Finley, Nelson, etc backing them up we'd still make money.

16. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Rodgers and Woodson mostly. If either of those two go down, we simply just aren't going to be winning games.

Also Jennings, he is our only real deep threat.

17. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    :happy0005:
    I like the love for Scott Wells. I agree he's very important and extremely underrated for us. I still get pissed when guys like Bedard try and convince the readers that Spitz is better because he's bigger. Wells and Grant get the job done with very little fanfare.

18. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Most valuable player to me is one guy: Brandon Chillar. He could play every down, one down at each of the linebacker positions, and can play in every package. Yet because we have no depth, he is a backup for all intents and purposes.

19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
    You really cant be serious?

20. y5nthon5a1

y5nthon5a1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Tauscher/Clifton (they play great together)
    • Clay Matthews (He's going to be with the Pack for many years)
    • Nick Barnett (He's the leader of our D)
    • Scott Wells (Does an amazing job when he's in there)
    • Greg Jennings (Playmaker for the Pack for many years; great attitude)
    • Charles Woodson (GREAT player, but he is only going to be this caliber player for 1-2 more years. Never know when he could retire)
    • Nick Collins
    • Ryan Pickett

In that order. Tell me what you all think.

21. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I think there'd be a huge loss of Driver or Jennings went down but it's nothing that we can't cope with. I have high praises for our WR coaches since Green Bay is a reputable place for them. Our team operates by a plug and chug basis when it comes to recievers. If one guy goes down, then the next guy can step in and play well with a minimal loss in talent. This is why I don't think we need to draft recievers in the first round... ever. Our WR coaching staff is that good.

I think Woodson should be second next to A-Rod mainly because I think if he goes down, we don't have ANYONE to take his spot. Tauscher and Clifton could be a little lower considering we already have our future bookends on the roster. Scot Wells doesn't get enough of the credit he deserves. Sure Tauscher stepped in and evened out the line after Allen Barbarian left, but Wells "quarterbacked" that O-line.

22. y5nthon5a1

y5nthon5a1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the response, but Woodson-- We do have quality CB's on the roster. While it may not be as good,--what do you expect, Woodson is a beast, but for the current AND future, Woodson isn't going to be with the team for more than 3-4 more years if that--you know, some players do retire when they came off great years.

But the thing is, I contradicted myself with Clif/Tausch. They should be much lower; i'd agree too. Shift everyone on my list up, move them down to 8th or 9th , move woodson up a couple spots, and that would be a more realistic list for me.

23. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    You have got to be ******** me.

Do we have an ignore user feature here? Because I'm seriously considering using it.

EDIT: We do! That's better.

24. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Jess you might aswell ignore me or just this post

Mason "Clutch" Crosby He came through for us so many times it was unreal :)

25. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    The Crosby posts are hilarious. I'd never block you. :lol: