Our 2014 D-Fence has improved

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently, FO has us as the 18th ranked defense in the league--23rd against the run, 15th against the pass. At the end of last year the defense ranked 31st--30th against the run, 28th against the pass.
Yes, the defense has improved. But not enough, not yet anyway.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of liked the "Nascar" line of Matthews,Neal, Peppers and Perry. It would be even more interesting to see those 4 as linebackers behind 3 d linemen. Neal and Peppers can move better than Hawk and others in coverage; and they could get pressure up the middle as well. Wouldn't hurt to try it. They are our best 4 linebackers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I kind of liked the "Nascar" line of Matthews,Neal, Peppers and Perry. It would be even more interesting to see those 4 as linebackers behind 3 d linemen. Neal and Peppers can move better than Hawk and others in coverage; and they could get pressure up the middle as well. Wouldn't hurt to try it. They are our best 4 linebackers.

While I like the NASCAR package as well on obvious passing downs there´s no way the Packers could line up those four guys at LB. While it´s possible to drop one of them into coverage in some packages from the OLB position they would get exposed by TEs or RBs if they line up inside constantly.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like the NASCAR package as well on obvious passing downs there´s no way the Packers could line up those four guys at LB. While it´s possible to drop one of them into coverage in some packages from the OLB position they would get exposed by TEs or RBs if they line up inside constantly.
That very well may be true, but none of the other weird schemes Capers comes up with seem to work so what the hay, give it a try.

D

Deleted member 6794

That very well may be true, but none of the other weird schemes Capers comes up with seem to work so what the hay, give it a try.

That´s because our ILB just aren´t good enough. Using guys like Neal or Peppers there wouldn´t improve the play at the position though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...they would get exposed by TEs or RBs if they line up inside constantly.

I don't' disagree with what you're saying, but we don't have middle linebackers able to cover RBs or TEs; making them the weakest part of our pass defense. I believe the middle linebacker position requires the most athletic skill sets of just about any position in football, even QB. They need to be big, fast, shifty, strong, hard hitting against the run, and able to run with receivers over the middle. We need a couple of 'em.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't' disagree with what you're saying, but we don't have middle linebackers able to cover RBs or TEs; making them the weakest part of our pass defense.

Absolutely agree with that. Moving DEs our OLBs to the position won´t be the solution though. Thompson should have either signed one or two in free agency or improved the position in the draft.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of addressing the ILB position to me is really frustrating.

The 49ers love Borland right now, he really has shown promise as a rookie, and the 49ers got him just 8 spots ahead of where we took Khyri Thornton in the 3rd, who probably saved his roster spot by going on IR because he hadn't earned one up to that point.

Thompson simply needs to start drafting better. This is a list of every player drafted in the first 3 rounds in the last 5 drafts for Thompson:

Bulaga, Neal, Burnett, Sherrod, Cobb, Alex Green, Perry, Worthy, Hayward, Datone Jones, Lacy, Clinton-Dix, Adams, Thornton, Rodgers

There's some okay players in here, there's some busts, but there's no impact defensive players. That's really killing us. It's understandable that some of your early picks are going to turn out to be just role players, but when ALL of your 1st and 2nd round picks are turning into middling role players like Perry and Neal, you're going to get a mediocre defense full of role players.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers love Borland right now, he really has shown promise as a rookie
Yeah, Borland is a tackling machine, which we could use. TT has swung and missed on his top draft picks the last few years. Kind of ironic that linebackers are our weakness in view of TT being a former linebacker himself.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fantastic article on the defense. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nd-seahawks-o-line-lies-my-statistics-told-me

We are ranked 10th in first quarter defense, and 14th in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Basically, they've given up a whole lot of yards when it hasn't mattered: 30% of their yards have been when up by 17 or more points. Against Atlanta was the only time the yards allowed mattered after we gained a big lead.

I really like the statement that says, "After all, those 17-point leads never happen if the defense does not make a few early stops." That's a great point.

Members online

Latest posts