Our 2014 D-Fence has improved

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it has.
Did anyone else notice how they were able to hold Da Bears to just 3 points with that goal line stand in the first half?
Da Bears had more than just 4 chances with a number of penalties and our D still managed to not let them get a TD.
(I think there were two penalties. One against us and one against them during that attempt.)
Any other team and game before and they would have gotten in.
Anyway, there are still many things to be improved but I think this was a very good start.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were God awful against the run game especially in the 1st half. However, they did improve by the 2nd half. They made 2 great stops in the red zone, were credited with 2 INTs, and 1 sack. All in all not bad considering the 1st half. The offense rolling right out of the gate didn't hurt matters.

I must be real with it and say I do have concerns about this D moving forward. The run D is scary, we simply have to improve if we have any hopes of making a deep playoff run.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how much the defense has improved but it is worth noting that they aren't giving up points, especially touchdowns, and are generating turnovers. Holding the Bears to a field goal on their second possession and then the stopping play at the goal line at the end of the half were huge pivots in Sunday's game. The second half interceptions helped turn what could have been a seesaw shootout into a scoreboard rout.

After looking at Atlanta, New Orleans and several other "contending" teams defenses the Packers don't look quite so bad. They have allowed only 30 points in the last 10.5 quarters and held explosive Lions and Bears offenses to 13.5 ppg on the road. With the offense working that might just be enough to keep the Pack in the playoff circle. But it won't get them to Arizona February 1,2015.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The line play is not good right now. This unit can't get off the field and force any punts. It's pretty disgusting to watch to be honest. My guess is that Trgovac will be the first held to account if it doesn't improve in the next month.

My guess is that Thompson is still waiting for that one guy to be released that they liked coming out of college to fill out the roster, or possibly working a trade from one of our positions of strength to a team that is hurting in that position group. Injuries are already taking their toll on some teams and there is some roster churning going on.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a commenter on JSO wrote, Capers was content to put pressure on Jay, shut down their receivers and then let Forte try to keep pace with Rodgers. Predictably they weren't able to do this. Would we have struggled as much against the run if we used actual run sets? Probably not, would we have shut down Jeffrey and Marshall and held Cutler to a QBR of 82 if we focused more on shutting down the run? Probably not.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense was still awful vs. the Bears. The awful performance is masked by one good play by HaHa, two gifts from Cutler, and a lopsided score. I would choke on my tongue if I said we'd improved while watching Forte run for 10yds after 10yds after 10yds.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, we've improved to the 32nd ranked defense in the league. We give new meaning to "bend don't break". We're the Yoga Defense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As a commenter on JSO wrote, Capers was content to put pressure on Jay, shut down their receivers and then let Forte try to keep pace with Rodgers. Predictably they weren't able to do this. Would we have struggled as much against the run if we used actual run sets? Probably not, would we have shut down Jeffrey and Marshall and held Cutler to a QBR of 82 if we focused more on shutting down the run? Probably not.
Wow, what a brilliant strategist Capers has become. I'll assume it's true and not beg for his mid-season firing.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, we've improved to the 32nd ranked defense in the league. We give new meaning to "bend don't break". We're the Yoga Defense.

Well as long as they avoid giving up points they'll get a pass from me. But if they start giving up 30 and 40 burgers, firing time.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The line play is not good right now. This unit can't get off the field and force any punts. It's pretty disgusting to watch to be honest. My guess is that Trgovac will be the first held to account if it doesn't improve in the next month.

My guess is that Thompson is still waiting for that one guy to be released that they liked coming out of college to fill out the roster, or possibly working a trade from one of our positions of strength to a team that is hurting in that position group. Injuries are already taking their toll on some teams and there is some roster churning going on.

The focus is always on the line but again, I just don't see it. I see more issues play after play with LB not making plays and being out of position. I bet if you had 100 pro-scouts look at film of the first 4 games, most would tell you that the line is the least of the problems.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews with an interception? How can you not love that?

OK so maybe some of you are still unsatisfied but I watched a game where I'm happy with what the defense did against the Bears compared to the previous couple of games.
I think they will dominate against the Vikings and will get better.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's extremely optimistic to think our current defense could dominate anybody unless there is considerable improvement among several players soon.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews with an interception? How can you not love that?

OK so maybe some of you are still unsatisfied but I watched a game where I'm happy with what the defense did against the Bears compared to the previous couple of games.
I think they will dominate against the Vikings and will get better.

I have been wishing for that for a year now and I can tell you, it's a recipe for disappointment. The defense has not been good since the injuries hit early last year. The defense is not good and I don't think there's tons to suggest it's going to get much better any time soon. I just pray that they're "good enough" to get by while the offense carries the day the rest of the year.

Sidenote: I'm also to the point that I'm a little tired of seeing Matthews out with injury. I don't need to see years more of that to understand he's a guy that can't stay on the field. It kills teams to have to carry a superstar's salary that only plays half the games each year or less.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think we got a win at Chicago and held them to 17 points so some people can tolerate all the yards given up and getting blown backwards and ran over again. I am the ultimate "kool-aid optimisim guy" and even predicted this roster to be better then the 2010 team from 1-53 before the season, but the fact is were soft in the middle again. Now were hoping a rookie UDFA can be the savior in the middle. Feels like desperation and IMO it will only be a matter of time before were back in a traditional 3-4.

Even with all of this I still think the team will win games because I believe in Rodgers and even though we have some tough games ahead most of them are at home. Also, our division isn't that great and Lions will fall apart way before we play them in week 17. The NFC south(who we play) looks to be not that great this year if you look at how there doing outside there division. My fear is when we get into the playoffs and play a Seattle and really need a defense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The focus is always on the line but again, I just don't see it. I see more issues play after play with LB not making plays and being out of position. I bet if you had 100 pro-scouts look at film of the first 4 games, most would tell you that the line is the least of the problems.
I'm with you in spreading the blame to the LBs but IMO you went too far. Pro scouts would look at some plays by the DL and wonder if they were on roller skates. McGinn wrote Guion had a long day after Long drove him back five yards on the first play of the game from scrimmage. And Boyd with an injured knee was driven back 10 yards by Long at the point of attack.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you in spreading the blame to the LBs but IMO you went too far. Pro scouts would look at some plays by the DL and wonder if they were on roller skates. McGinn wrote Guion had a long day after Long drove him back five yards on the first play of the game from scrimmage. And Boyd with an injured knee was driven back 10 yards by Long at the point of attack.

With all due respect to one of my favorite posters on this forum... please don't reference pro-scouts and Bob McGinn in the same breath. ;)

McGinn is the last guy any of us should put much stock in what he says.

I don't think the D-line has been great but I've been keying on this the entire year with my own eyes... that I'm just telling you... almost never see what Mr. Bob thinks he sees. I see the D-line often holding the line and the LB not getting up in it. Are there plays they are on skates? Sure... but they're not the main problem.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how fast people forget things from week to week.

Yes, the run defense against the Bears was not good, but the run defense was very good just the week before and good against the Jets.

The run defense can play much better because we've seen them do it already.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazing how fast people forget things from week to week.

Yes, the run defense against the Bears was not good, but the run defense was very good just the week before and good against the Jets.

The run defense can play much better because we've seen them do it already.
If they would remain consistent, but they are playing week to week.

My only hope is that Capers announces he'll be retiring because he is part of a generation gone by him and Le'Beau.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With all due respect to one of my favorite posters on this forum... please don't reference pro-scouts and Bob McGinn in the same breath. ;)

I don't think the D-line has been great but I've been keying on this the entire year with my own eyes... that I'm just telling you... almost never see what Mr. Bob thinks he sees. I see the D-line often holding the line and the LB not getting up in it. Are there plays they are on skates? Sure... but they're not the main problem.
Thanks for the compliment but I completely disagree about McGinn. I had a chance to look at the first play from scrimmage. The Bears started on their 20. At the end of the play both of Guion's feet were on the other side of the 25 yard line. I didn't find the play with Boyd being driven back but IMO chances are good he described it accurately. Regarding McGinn, I don't think any other Packers beat writer matches his contacts and he uses them to our great advantage. Before the Jets game I posted a link to McGinn's preview of the Jets. A Jets fan commented, "Wow that's really in depth and accurate for a breakdown of opposing teams, our beat writers are **** compared to that. Everything he says holds up. ..." https://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-packers-vs-jets-discussion.54064/page-4#post-569783

I think it's fair to say he has no ax to grind, or no bias in favor of McGinn. Packers fans are spoiled in a number of ways, one of them IMO is in regards to the quality of journalists who cover the Packers and McGinn is near the top of that list IMO.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree ThxJack. I think every team has it's moron reporters but if I just compare Chicago's to ours, there's no comparison. I guess it depends on what you are looking at.

I often listen to and read Chicago sports, for one reason because I find their fans amusing. The Bears don't have nearly as many guys reporting on them with little or no real football experience. I love, for instance, listening to McCarren break down a game or play and talk about things from a perspective that he can communicate having played in the NFL. My idea of he## on earth is listening to certain other - I'll not name them all because I know that doesn't go over well here...Packer beat writers.

My other pet-peeve is the total lack of analytical approach to certain things and McGinn is A #1 when it comes to that. A guy like McGinn is in a position to set the record straight with certain stats and player topics, yet he's usually the first to mis-portray something. Guys like McGinn are supposed to look into things at a deeper level than the average fan really wants to. He doesn't and in fact he usually spews the same crap I hear around the water cooler after game days.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I put the blame squarely on TT. Poor player selections on defense have been a wreck outside of Matthews. Watch the 4--Count them 4 1st round draft choices the last two years starting on the Vikings tonight. Please don't say they had more holes to fill on their roster compared to ours. We are where we are because the player personnel decisions on the defensive side of the football via the draft have been a mess.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
come crunch time "if" we make the play offs, this current defense aint stopping ANY play off caliber team, not a single damn one.
Making this prediction before week five IMO is premature. Not only that, but say what you will, but as far as point output this defense has done pretty well this year.

I screenshotted this and it can hopefully be revisited during the playoffs.

Latest posts