OTAS: ROUND TWO

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Other injury notes

Coach Mike McCarthy on: DT Justin Harrell (biceps): "Justin really hasn't changed. ... We've been doing some individual work with him at the end of practice, with some of the other, younger offensive linemen, just to keep him up to speed on the techniques and the fundamentals so he's not missing out. We're just reluctant to put him into team drills right now." S Marviel Underwood (knee): "He's ahead of schedule (with rehabilitation). We'll probably wait until training camp (because of) the extent of the injury that he did have." T Chad Clifton (elbow): "It looked like it was in the 2-minute drill, but it looked like he caught his elbow. I think it was Kabeer (Gbaja-Biamila) who was rushing on him." CB Will Blackmon (undisclosed): "It's not serious. It's kind of been bothering him all week. I don't recall (what the injury is). He fatigued it on Tuesday and it started bothering him again today." G Tony Palmer (knee): "He's not ready to come back. He's still finishing the rehab on that injury."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Passing stats

Today's installment of mostly meaningless passing stats is a little different because of the extended 2-minute drill early in practice. For that reason, we'll break things down this way: 2-minute ... Team and 7-on-7 ... Total. One stat that needs to be stated separately is that Brett Favre was 10-for-10 in the 7-on-7 period, much of which was conducted in the red zone. There is no rush in 7-on-7, of course, but Favre had little trouble picking apart what qualified as the first-team defense.

This also was the first open practice this spring in which there were no interceptions.
-- Favre 14-for-18 ... 6-for-10 ... 20-for-28
-- Ingle Martin 4-for-8 ... 4-for-7 ... 8-for-15
-- Jerry Babb 2-for-2 ... 0-for-0 ... 2-for-2
-- Paul Thompson 2-for-3 ... 0-for-0 ... 2-for-3
Martin ran the second unit during the 2-minute period, but he, Babb and Thompson rotated throughout the other periods. The team periods were rather run-heavy, and with a number of players absent or hurt, it often was tough to distinguish between the second and third teams.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The blitz: OTAs Week 2

The Packers worked extensively on their hurry-up and red-zone offenses today, but neither offensive unit finished the 2-minute drill as coaches wanted. The first team ran nine plays to get to the 12-yard line. But after a short completion from Brett Favre to Vernand Morency on third-and-inches, there was confusion as the offense looked to spike the ball before the field-goal unit ran onto the field. Coach Mike McCarthy booted the ball out of the holder's hands and yelled at the sideline, and the offense came back onto the field. Running another play from the 8, Favre scrambled and overthrew tight end Donald Lee. McCarthy blamed a clock malfunction. The scoreboard turned off several times and had no time on it during the final plays. "The people on the field were on the same page, but the people on the sideline weren't," McCarthy said. The second-team offense started at its own 35 and stalled at the plus-37. Ingle Martin, running the unit in Aaron Rodgers' absence, overthrew David Clowney with a deep ball on third down and then threw into double coverage on fourth.

In other news ...

Second-year pro Tony Moll filled in for the absent Mark Tauscher (death in family) at right tackle with the first-team offense. Moll knocked down Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila during the 2-minute period, and Gbaja-Biamila left the field rubbing his lower back. When Chad Clifton departed with an apparent elbow injury, first-year man Orrin Thompson took over at left tackle. Lee continued to take the first snap in each series at tight end. Working with the second team during 7-on-7, he dropped a throw that was a little high from Martin, whose next pass went off the hands of Ruvell Martin. Brandon Miree took the first rep in each team period when the offense played its base set. Cornerback Patrick Dendy worked opposite Al Harris with the first-team defense. When the nickel defense took the field for the 2-minute periods, the line consisted of Gbaja-Biamila, Michael Montgomery, Colin Cole and Cullen Jenkins.

Offensive highlights were tough to come by, but Favre threw a perfect touch pass to tight end Zac Alcorn in the 7-on-7 period, splitting Patrick Dendy and Nick Collins near the end zone. Minutes later, Martin threaded a pretty ball to a diving Carlyle Holiday at the goal line. Rookie linebacker Desmond Bishop, a sixth-round pick out of California, slapped a sure completion out of Calvin Russell's hands during 7-on-7. Ingle Martin took the accidental hit of the day when Devarick Scandrett couldn't slow down fast enough to avoid contact in the first team period. With Charles Woodson absent and Will Blackmon and Greg Jennings hurt, first-year cornerback Tramon Williams worked alongside Shaun Bodiford and rookie James Jones on punt returns. Bodiford took the first reps.

After moving practice indoors because of wind and the threat of rain, the Packers allowed about 30 fans to watch a half-hour of practice inside the Don Hutson Center. There was one brief scrum early in practice. Scandrett knocked off guard Tyson Walter's helmet before teammates separated them. The offense closed the final team period with three consecutive fades into the end zone. None were complete, and each defended well by Frank Walker, Dendy and Jarrett Bush, respectively. Practice ended with Favre completing a pair of touchdown strikes to Clowney and Bodiford.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The laces were in!

Dave Rayner's battle to win media favor (if not the starting job) in his competition with rookie Mason Crosby got off to a rocky start today when Rayner missed his only two field-goal attempts in a brief, situational special-teams period. Kicking from 46 yards out, Rayner pushed his first attempt wide right and then pulled the second wide left. Neither missed by much. In between, Crosby converted his only attempt from the same distance, skimming the ball high off the inside of the right upright. After practice, Rayner said he wasn't concerned about the misses because he won't be in kicking shape until training camp. It was the first time Rayner and Crosby had kicked in front of reporters since the Packers drafted Crosby out of Colorado in the sixth round.
Jackson has mild knee injury

Running back Brandon Jackson and receiver Greg Jennings joined cornerback Will Blackmon as notable players who sat out today's open OTA practice. Jackson, the Packers' second-round draft pick out of Nebraska, suffered a mild knee injury early this week, but the team hopes he'll practice next week, coach Mike McCarthy said. Blackmon also has a mild injury, according to McCarthy, who did not address Jennings' injury. Jennings rode a stationary bike for most of practice and did have anything visibly wrong with him. Tackle Chad Clifton appeared to hurt his elbow during a team period late in practice and did not return. The rest of today's inactive list contained the usual suspects: safety Marviel Underwood, linebacker Abdul Hodge, receivers Robert Ferguson and Chris Francies, defensive tackle Justin Harrell, guard Tony Palmer, tackle Kevin Barry, running back Arliss Beach and defensive tackle Kevin Barry. Running back DeShawn Wynn, who suffered a calf injury in the first practice of last month's rookie minicamp, participated and took some reps with the first-team offense in Jackson's absence. Several players who missed the Packers' only open OTA practice last week -- including cornerback Al Harris, defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and guard Junius Coston -- attended and participated in all drills. Cornerback Antonio Malone, who landed on injured reserve when NFL Europe rosters were set in April, also practiced. He wore No. 46.
Practice over for today

Today's Packers practice is officially over. Tackle Mark Tauscher missed practice because of a death in his family and QB Aaron Rodgers missed practice to attend his brother's graduation.

QB Rodgers, T Tauscher not at practice today
Starting tackle Mark Tauscher and backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers are the most notable absences from today's practice. Defensive tackle Corey Williams, who was with his ailing sister last week, and cornerback Charles Woodson also are not at the practice. Woodson is not expected to attend any of the OTA practices. Cornerback Will Blackmon is at the practice, but is not participating. Coach Mike is expected to address the media when practice ends around 1:15 p.m.

OTA practice moved inside

Today's organized team activities practice has been moved indoors to the Don Hutson Center because of wind and the threat of rain. It was scheduled to be one of only four OTA practices open to the public. Dozens of fans had been waiting for to watch the practice.

P.S. Awaiting PICS

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: OTA 2 REPORT

Running back Brandon Jackson and receiver Greg Jennings joined cornerback Will Blackmon as notable players who sat out today's open OTA practice. Jackson, the Packers' second-round draft pick out of Nebraska, suffered a mild knee injury early this week, but the team hopes he'll practice next week,

That is not a good sign with all the injuries he had in college... minor or not, I hope that is not signs of things to come... weekly on the injury report :(

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
OTA 2 REPORT

I honestly didn't get a very good vibe from that report . .

. . . gets nervous . . .

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM PRESS CONFERENCE

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/06/07/1/

Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript - June 7

(Does Brandon Jackson have an injury?)
Yes, he had a knee injury, happened earlier in the week. We're hopeful to have him back next week

(What happened to Clifton? It looked like he dropped out of a drill?)
It looked like he caught his elbow. I haven't talked to Chad actually. It looked like it was in the 2-minute drill, but it looked like he caught his elbow. I think it was Kabeer who was rushing on him.

(How serious is Jackson's knee?)
We're hopeful to have him back next week

(Aaron Rodgers did not show up for personal reasons?)
Correct, correct.

(What's the progress of Marviel Underwood, and also Harrell?)
Marviel, he's ahead of schedule with his rehab. Very bright. I say it over and over again with the injuries. We'll probably wait until training camp as far as the extent of injury that he did have. So that's where he is. He's having an excellent offseason, and it really started for him during the season. I think he's done a very good job taking advantage of the time with the other parts of his body. So I'm very pleased with the progress he's made. Justin really hasn't changed, same as last week. We've been doing some individual work with him at the end of practice with some of the other young offensive linemen, just to keep him up to speed on the techniques and the fundamentals, so he's not missing out. We're just reluctant to put him in the team drills right now.

(What do you see in DeShawn Wynn now?)
Talented young man.
I know we're just in helmets and shorts and T-shirts, but I'm very impressed with his vision and his foot quickness. He's really had an excellent week of practice. Once again, that needs to transfer to the padded practice. He seems to be picking up the scheme, has an understanding. His instincts, obviously his size, and the thickness that you like to see with a guy who runs with his pad level. He's had a very good week of practice.

(Have you talked to either Harris or Pickett about them coming back and being here?)
I've talked to them all along throughout the spring. Happy they're here working.
They're on schedule to get the work done they need to get done throughout this period, and they'll be ready to go. You take a look at the veteran players, once you get up in that six, seven plus year range, I think it's smart to look at the number of reps and things like that, plus with the development of our young guys. So all the individuals in that category have been addressed as far as their programs and what needs to get done throughout these OTAs.

(How do you feel about the depth at linebacker?)
The thing about that group is they can run, and the understanding of the defense is, we're way ahead of where we were at this time last year.
I've been impressed with the way the older guys have really taken their game to another level. It's very evident when A.J. and Nick and Brady are in there, but I think it really helps the younger guys, because they've set the standard. So as a group, I think we're way ahead of where we were at this time last year. I really like the way the young guys have acclimated themselves and we just need to get Abdul back, and then I think it will be a very healthy group as far as competition comes in training camp.

(What can you get from Johnson and Simpson?)
Well, Johnson, the one thing that jumped off the film watching him at Ole Miss is he definitely fits our scheme. Bob and Winston refer to it as getting off the spot, and he has exceptional quickness and instincts. He definitely fits, and Simpson is an athletic guy too.
It's that athletic build in the range you're looking for, so I'm very happy with the progress they've made throughout the OTAs.

(What happened with Blackmon?)
Blackmon? I have to study my medical ... it's not serious. It's kind of been bothering him all week. I don't recall. He fatigued it
on Tuesday and it started bothering him again today.

(Pickett and Harris, did they arrive earlier in the week?)
They've been here all week, and once again gentlemen and ladies, I'm not going to do the roll call with you.
We've talked about this. These are voluntary workouts. We have talked to our older players. They recognize the importance of what we need to accomplish, and we are on the path to get that accomplished, and I'm very pleased with the overall team participation, effort and production in the first six OTAs.

(What happened with Tony Palmer?)
Tony had the knee injury, and he's not ready to come back. He's still finishing the rehab on that injury.

(With Johnson, where do you think he might have been drafted without the off-the-field questions? Is he a first-day guy?)
Possibly. I could see why you would think that way and other people would think that way. He's a very impressive young man on film. I'm glad he's here.

(How about Dendy and Walker?)
Patrick Dendy is having an exceptional spring
. Really that whole secondary as a group, from an individual progress standpoint is the most improved. The young safeties and young corners I've been very impressed with what they've done in the weight room, what they've done in their individual meetings, and now you're seeing it show up, and Patrick Dendy is at the forefront of that. Also Walker looks like he has acclimated himself very smoothly to our scheme. He's very explosive, quick. I really like the way he plays man-to-man. He's an aggressive player. That's what we saw when we brought him in. They've had a very good spring.

(Do you see James Jones coming on like Jennings did last year?)
That's where we're hopeful. James is a very strong receiver.
He would be classified as a flanker in our system. Very strong hands. As you've noticed, he's always catching the ball out front of his body. That's what you're looking for. He does a very good job creating separation in a short space, and I think he's off to a good start.

(This preseason, in the games, do you see the receivers getting more reps with Aaron Rodgers and Ingle Martin?)
Well, number one, it's important to get the first unit ready to play, and the problem with preseason games is you want to accomplish that number one, but you're also trying to be cautious as far as the injuries. Everybody goes through it. But the goal is to make sure that No. 1 group is ready to play. And the second goal is you have to give the younger guys an opportunity to make your football team. So as far as the reps, I didn't feel like we played our No. 1's an unusually long time last year, so to answer your question, I think it will be pretty similar.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA 2 REPORT

yep. Dendy is the best.

also i wouldnt lose sleep over the injuries. just some guys banged up, out a week or 2 max. Harrell...his situation was known when we drafted him, so fans being surprised by that is dumb. but blackmon\jackson will be back in a week.

and Dendy is the best ever.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: OTA 2 REPORT

yep. Dendy is the best.

also i wouldnt lose sleep over the injuries. just some guys banged up, out a week or 2 max. Harrell...his situation was known when we drafted him, so fans being surprised by that is dumb. but blackmon\jackson will be back in a week.

and Dendy is the best ever.

Seems we always have some injuries during non voluntary activities and even some during training camp but mysteriously they vanish when the games start counting for something.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICKETT AND HARRIS SPEAK....

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=649950

Packers OTA notebook

Harris, Pickett join team for practices....

Cornerback Al Harris and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, both of whom did not attend the Green Bay Packers’ Organized Team Activities practices a year ago, have returned to Green Bay to practice with teammates this week. Both Pickett and Harris did not attend either of the Packers’ two voluntary OTA practices last week, but the veterans each feel a need to work on their technique and prepare for the upcoming training camp, which begins July 28. Each player stepped in with the first team defense during drills this week.

“Just trying to knock the rust off,” said Harris, who skipped the team’s OTA workouts last year in a contract dispute. “You can work as hard as you want wherever you’re at, but as far as playing football, bump-and-run, you gotta come and get some of that.”

Pickett was not able to attend the OTA practices last year due to family issues, but this year the seventh year pro is currently working on losing about eight pounds to reach his listed weight of 322, and to polish his technique. Pickett said he plans to practice all four days with the team next week, then finish up on June 18. “I think it’s very important to be here,” Pickett said. “Last year, it was unfortunate that I couldn’t be here. I think I missed out on a lot. I think it will help me have a faster start to my season and help me do better”....

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MINOR INJURIES

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/packers/

Packers' Rookie Brandon Jackson Injures Knee

One of the largest concerns that came with former Nebraska running back Brandon Jackson was his inability to stay healthy. He suffered through a series of injuries (mostly shoulder) in college and really appears to have glass bones and paper skin. However, the Packers were still willing to take a chance on him because of his huge upside. Until earlier this week, things were looking great. He had been turning heads in camp and drawing praise from every direction. Unfortunately, all that stopped earlier this week when Jackson went down with a knee injury. Head coach Mike McCarthy has remained positive though. Although details and the severity of the injury were not announced, McCarthy said that he remains hopeful Jackson can return to practice in some capacity next week. The news of this injury is extremely disheartening because Jackson has looked so promising in camp. Hopefully it's only something minor and will not result in any significant set-backs for Jackson.

http://www.railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

Clifton is lookin' good

One of the Green Bay Press-Gazette's feature articles in today's issue is about starting left tackle Chad Clifton and how good and healthy he is looking for the first time in years. Rob Demovsky of the Green Bay Press-Gazette writes, "Clifton appears rejuvenated. He has taken part in most of the Packers' minicamp and organized team activity practices — although he dropped out of Thursday's workout after what looked like a minor elbow injury — and for the first time in three years, he isn't rehabilitating from an offseason surgery." This comes as good news to Packer fans who have seen Clifton suffer the dibilitating effects of the vicious blow delivered by Warren Sapp. The 2007 season was not especially kind to Clifton, either. He did heavy rehabbing every week and was even sidelined the week the Packers had to play NFL Defensive MVP Jason Taylor, which forced Daryn Colledge to slide over to left tackle. "Not only does he look more explosive than he has at this time of the year since I've been here," (offensive line coach James) Campen told the Press-Gazette, "but he's also getting into football shape much earlier. I think that will benefit him a lot."

[align=center]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA CAPTIONED PIC: FANS' REMARKS

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/gallery.aspx?catid=626

[align=center]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

TT: "It's decision making like that, that's making me gray."

Brett: "It's decision making like that, that's making YOU gray!?!?!?!"

TT: "We really think this is going to be Ferguson's year and as such have decided to pass on Randy Moss."

Brett: "Ferguson? Are you f@#king crazzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyy?"

Favre: I said you look like a Mississippi water snake thats been run over by a cub cadet!!!

TT: What's a cub cadet???

Favre: Somebody caught the ball!???!!!?!

TT: I sent in the Clowns and Jones.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LEARNING 2 MINUTE DRILL & UNDERWOOD

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2007/06/07/1/

Notebook: Two-Minute Drill Not Easy To Learn

Rookies get enough thrown at them during their first few weeks of workouts, and they really get tested on how quickly they can learn something when asked to run the two-minute drill in practice. The two-minute drill was the focus of one of the team (11-on-11) periods in Thursday's OTA, one of several "situations" that are getting attention during the June workouts. To the outside spectator, the two-minute drill can look like organized chaos, with players yelling and hustling back and forth without a huddle, the quarterback calling things out and motioning with his hands, and the defense trying to keep up. To the players that have been in pro football for a while, it's almost second-nature. But not so for the new guys, to whom the pro game in general is much faster, not to mention a no-huddle or two-minute situation.

"Whew, ... man, man, man," rookie receiver James Jones said when discussing the two-minute drill after practice. "Learning the signals and all that is new for us right now. That's my main focus is learning the signals and learning the plays. Once I get that down, I can do all right." Veteran receiver Donald Driver can appreciate the struggles, particularly when the younger players might execute one two-minute drill with Brett Favre and another one with a different, younger quarterback. Every signal caller runs the no-huddle a little differently, so changing quarterbacks only adds another layer of adjustment. But Driver is confident everyone will be up to speed soon. "It's hard because they don't know the signals all that well, but once they get the signals in, basically it's smooth sailing for them," Driver said. "The hard part is learning the game, learning the systems and the signals, and once you get that down, two-minute is pretty easy to you." The defense, on the other hand, doesn't exactly enjoy getting run ragged like that, but it's good training nonetheless. "That's not fun at all," cornerback Al Harris said. "That's tiring, like conditioning. But it was good today, we needed it, and we got some good work out of it...."

Feeling like he's ready: Safety Marviel Underwood, who is recovering from a torn ACL sustained in the preseason opener last year, has been held out of practices all spring. McCarthy said even though Underwood is ahead of schedule with his rehab, he'll likely be held out until training camp, but he's excited to see what a rested and recovered Underwood will be able to do when he returns to the field. "He's having an excellent offseason, and it really started for him during the season (with rehab)," McCarthy said. "I think he's done a very good job taking advantage of the time with the other parts of his body." Underwood hinted that he might be able to get into some of the OTA workouts before they conclude later this month, but he's simply going to listen to the trainers and be ready when he is cleared. "When I go out there, I'm going full-out," Underwood said. "They haven't put any restrictions on me, so when I go out there, I'm going to try to hit it."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTAS' CRUCIAL ROLE

http://greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070604/PKR07/706040461/1989

Mike Vandermause column: How important are OTA sessions?

Would you show up for work if it wasn't required? That's essentially the question Green Bay Packers players face at this time of year when the team conducts "voluntary" practices. Today will mark the third of the Packers' 12 organized team activity (OTA) sessions, and nearly everyone on the roster will put on helmets and shorts and go through drills. Players won't receive any extra money or benefits. Technically, they don't have to show up at all until training camp starts in late July. NFL rules stipulate that with the exception of one minicamp, teams can't force players to practice in the offseason.

Yeah, right. For most players, OTAs are about as voluntary as paying taxes. "It's not that you have to be here," said starting center Scott Wells, "but it is expected." That would suggest an unwritten code is at work. Unless a player has a good excuse, he better show up or risk falling out of favor with the coaches, or even his teammates. "Everybody has a day or two they have to miss for emergencies or family matters or things of that sort," Wells said. "But when you do miss, you kind of feel bad … because you're letting down other people who are counting on you." For the offensive linemen, it's important to build a strong sense of camaraderie and cohesiveness. For rookies and veterans battling for roster spots, it makes sense to use every opportunity to impress the coaches and improve their chances of making the team.

For others, the love of the game compels them to show up. Linebacker Brady Poppinga, for example, can't fathom the notion of skipping practice, whether it's voluntary or not. "Personally I wouldn't do that, I couldn't do that," he said. "You know why? I'd go crazy. I've got to play some football, man." When asked whether he likes to be at practice in June, Poppinga replied: "No, I love to be here. I enjoy it, and I would try to be here no matter what would happen. If my wife had a baby or something, and I had to be with her, I'd still be with my wife, but it would be hard." An established veteran like quarterback Brett Favre could skip every offseason practice and likely not miss a beat come training camp. But as a team leader, it's important to set a tone for the younger players. Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver, who is all but guaranteed a starting job, knows other players look up to him. Thus, he wouldn't think about missing voluntary workouts. "If I lead the right way, they'll follow," Driver said....

Coach Mike McCarthy no doubt would prefer perfect attendance. "Is it important for everybody to be here when the team is here?" McCarthy said. "Yes it is, because it's important for when a team works, everybody works." But McCarthy also knows there are exceptions, particularly when dealing with 94 players. "I look at the big picture," said the coach. "We are improving as a football team, and I've told our team over and over again, I'm very pleased with the individual improvement that we've had throughout the spring, particularly in the weight room, in the classroom." The progress is impressive, considering it's a "voluntary" effort.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/649987.html

Sydney Speaks! Others like them.

PackerReport.com's Harry Sydney offers his thoughts on who should be next president of the Green Bay Packers. Sydney also explains how Organized Team Activities practices and off-field activities help unite the team.