OPINIONS: 12X Champions or 3X Super Bowl Champions

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Why would the commissioner of the league anoint the Stealers as the greatest? Do you excuse it because he's only known the post-merger league?? He dishonors the league that he is supposed to protect at all costs. Pathetic.
Kinda sucks when someone dosen't respect what your team has done in the past doesn't it? There is no excuse for the commish and what he said. I would lay you odds he never even thought about anything but the Super Bowl winners. Until someone else gets to 11 I don't thing the Packers need to worry to much about the overall Championship title.

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History

It's a testament to the team's history of success. The championships during the 60s might be the best Dynasty in the history of the NFL. There are plenty of teams that have been around as long as green bay (not nearly as many today), and not a single one has won more championships than Green Bay. And if it's not that big of a deal, then why don't the Steelers and Bears have more championships. They're both storied and been around a while.

My favorite is when people try to say the first two super bowls don't count. You can't say that without drawing a line somewhere-- whoever says that is beginning to run down a slippery slope. If you say Free Agency, then the cowboys, 49ers, Steelers and Giants suddenly have a lot less clout in the championship discussion. It's funny because Green Bay has won a Super Bowl within the last 15 years, but also because half the teams in the league have never won a super bowl let alone three.

Most of the time when I hear this its from a Bears or Vikings fan which is extremely hypocritical. Sure the patriots might have us beat in the last 10 years, but history still happened and green bay hasn't done too bad in that department in the modern era.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It's a testament to the team's history of success. The championships during the 60s might be the best Dynasty in the history of the NFL. There are plenty of teams that have been around as long as green bay (not nearly as many today), and not a single one has won more championships than Green Bay. And if it's not that big of a deal, then why don't the Steelers and Bears have more championships. They're both storied and been around a while.

My favorite is when people try to say the first two super bowls don't count. You can't say that without drawing a line somewhere-- whoever says that is beginning to run down a slippery slope. If you say Free Agency, then the cowboys, 49ers, Steelers and Giants suddenly have a lot less clout in the championship discussion. It's funny because Green Bay has won a Super Bowl within the last 15 years, but also because half the teams in the league have never won a super bowl let alone three.

Most of the time when I hear this its from a Bears or Vikings fan which is extremely hypocritical. Sure the patriots might have us beat in the last 10 years, but history still happened and green bay hasn't done too bad in that department in the modern era.
See now, if that were true then you can't count the Super Bowl the Jet's and Chiefs won. That to me is one of the problems the NFL did a very poor job of addressing at the time of the merger. Those first 4 Super Bowls (World championship Games) are an entity of there own because they were played between two different leagues. Yes the two leagues merged, and yes they changed the name they put on the trophy after the merger. That tells me they should have listed those first four games as what they were and started the Super Bowl series the first year of the merger. But that's just me.

About less clout. You also have to take into consideration that 11 of the Packer Championships came When the league had no more than 14 (15 in 66, 16 in 67)teams in it. So one could argue that it is harder for a team to win a championship today. In 1970 the league went from 16 to 28 teams overnight, and that made a significant difference in winning a championship. Even in just the amount of playoff games. The minimum went from 1 to 2 in 1967 and in 1970, to 3 to get to a championship game.

Fact is, teams win Championships, and to discredit any team for winning one or more prior to the merger is a dis-service to all teams. How they won them, by playoff or best record matters not. They won in the time frame that they were played, within the rules they had at the time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About less clout. You also have to take into consideration that 11 of the Packer Championships came When the league had no more than 14 (15 in 66, 16 in 67)teams in it. So one could argue that it is harder for a team to win a championship today. In 1970 the league went from 16 to 28 teams overnight, and that made a significant difference in winning a championship. Even in just the amount of playoff games. The minimum went from 1 to 2 in 1967 and in 1970, to 3 to get to a championship game.

Fact is, teams win Championships, and to discredit any team for winning one or more prior to the merger is a dis-service to all teams. How they won them, by playoff or best record matters not. They won in the time frame that they were played, within the rules they had at the time.
One could also make an argument that any SB obtained before the Panthers and Jaguars, and before the Texans came to the league, also have less validation, because there were less teams...

It's still not right, but one can argue...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the commissioner of the league anoint the Stealers as the greatest? Do you excuse it because he's only known the post-merger league?? He dishonors the league that he is supposed to protect at all costs. Pathetic.

Someone should have asked him that when he was speaking to fans at Lambeau that they broadcast on live tv. Bet he would have back tracked on that one real quick

Latest posts