Ok, since we cant protect Rodgers...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the Packers biggest problem on offense this season was not being able to stretch defenses. So your great idea is to play a short yardage formation for the entire game. This display of a lack of understanding of the game of football is astounding.
3 skill players on the field........ You assuming that none of them will ever go deep? Your display of a lack of understanding of the game of football is astounding... pffft.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And know this... As soon as defenses ASSUME the big guys wont go deep down the middle. Im sending one up the safetys gut!!! lol

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I´m quite sure a ton of teams are afraid of a 315-pound TE constantly being used as a receiving threat. :rolleyes: In addition teams will be able to put at least seven guys into the box, making it tough to run the ball as well. But why let a dose of reality get in the way once you start being creative.
OK so lets talk pros and cons... Maybe we can do it without being a sarcastic dousche..... These unconventional OTs are 6'5"..... 6'6"? You get some street ballers in there, and they might be a one trick pony. But its a great outlet throw, left or right. And it has to be defended above the rim... Meanwhile rodgers has all day long for his 3 speed guys to find a hole...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You dont think there are 300 pound OTs that can catch?

Wimm says the defenses will double every receiver. Pokerbrat thinks our 7 man front will be met with 9 in the box........ Seems to be catching people off guard???

Please list the two 315 lb TE's you plan on implementing this scheme with and what you will use to time their deceptive speed, a calendar or a sun dial?

Who said the defense has to keep 7 or 9 men in the box to stop this foolish formation? You have put 7 guys on the field that have a limited range of motion, doesn't take a rocket scientist to devise a defense to stop it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OK so lets talk pros and cons... Maybe we can do it without being a sarcastic dousche..... These unconventional OTs are 6'5"..... 6'6"? You get some street ballers in there, and they might be a one trick pony. But its a great outlet throw, left or right. And it has to be defended above the rim... Meanwhile rodgers has all day long for his 3 speed guys to find a hole...

My pro is I am leaving this discussion.....no cons that I can see in that (except the time I already put into it).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe we can get Shaq and The Big Show to be those unconventional OT's you speak of.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should trade all our picks for Hershel Walker....heard he wants back in the game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
3 skill players on the field........ You assuming that none of them will ever go deep? Your display of a lack of understanding of the game of football is astounding... pffft.
Give us an example of my lack of understanding outside of this thread which, as of this post, no one has chimed in to agree with you. Since you apparently don't know, the strength of the Packers offense is the passing game. Unless your goal is to have DCs around the league doubled over in laughter, your idea (to be kind) lacks even a shred of value. To accurately characterize it would probably result in a "time out".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli, you dont get much respect around here sometimes, I like that you think outside the box. I recall your advocating a RB in the draft last year suffered similar rude mocking responses. Only later in the season did others lament our lack of a running game and need for a RB. I supported you then, but not now.

1. We cant find 1 power TE who can split a seem and you want 2?
2. We cant find 1 speedy WR and you want 3?
3. Defenses will adjust and neutralize just about anything. I think adaptability and flexibility is important in today's NFL.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Im sick of Rodgers getting smashed every play. This is a long standing problem, and it needs to be fixed.
Yep so am I. What to do about it. Hmmm...
Rodgers can hit some of those lanes too.....
Yeah that oughta do it.
Rodgers will probably lead the league in rushing as well... :)
Sure, turn the best passer in the league into a RGIII wannabe. Be easier to trade Rodgers for Kaperpuke and a few draft picks to grab those 300+ pound TE's.
Wisc Badgers had a 300# TE back a bit, maybe Ron Dayne era?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish, I didnt say I wanted them to be able to go up the seam. In a more realistic scenario, we get a couple big blocking TEs wiith some receiving skills. But a 245 pound finley probabally defines what people consider "up the seam". so no... I just said, that as soon as defensive coordinators ASSUME just because they are huge TEs they wont go deep. I would send them deep. out of principle.

I simply said we should find a couple OTs that have some basketball skills. Put them in there to block first. But if a play breaks down, they are still huge targets who can catch a pass. Its a smash mouth football. Forcing the other team to play a scheme they arent practiced at.
As in any scheme. you need the right people to run it. Maybe a under sized OT at 290 (who thinks he is shaq on the basketball court) would have been more realistic...? But you know me. Get a real starting caliber OT. Who happens to be able to catch a quick pass.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/...400-pound-te-laquan-mcgowan-scores-another-td

"Our condolences to the safety, who was given the task to make the open field tackle..."

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep so am I. What to do about it. Hmmm... Yeah that oughta do it.

Sure, turn the best passer in the league into a RGIII wannabe. Be easier to trade Rodgers for Kaperpuke and a few draft picks to grab those 300+ pound TE's.
Wisc Badgers had a 300# TE back a bit, maybe Ron Dayne era?
I was just saying that if the defense wants to double cover all the wrs. And the defensive front happens to get past the 7 blockers... Rodgers will have wide open field in front of him. He will break off chunks, until the defense respects the qb scramble...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I simply said we should find a couple OTs that have some basketball skills.
Even better though, get a couple of 6-10" power forwards not NBA caliber. Teach them to run past the first down marker, turn around, and use their rebounding skill to catch and come down with the ball. No YACs needed.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know why there arent ANY of those freak athelete power forward types in the nFL yet?

My main motivation with the (Not 6 O-linemen) BUT 7 O LINEMEN. :sneaky:. Is to protect Rodgers..... Give him time, and good things will happen. It also helps the run game. I always like the two great TE line up. Chamura and Jackson were great blockers and receivers. But best of all, defenses didnt know if we were lining up to run or pass???

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm thinking you get 9 guys that are all 8-9 feet tall and 400 lbs......4 of them sprint down the field and with their height and wing span Rodgers can't fail on any throw. Meanwhile, you have a 2-3' guy in the backfield, this guy looks a lot like the road runner from the Looney Toons Cartoon. Rodgers can mix things up by occasionally handing him the ball. I don't care if the defense throws ACME rocks or dynamite at him, he simply will be unstoppable carrying the ball with this offense. Now on Defense...........:coffee:

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking you get 9 guys that are all 8-9 feet tall and 400 lbs......4 of them sprint down the field and with their height and wing span Rodgers can't fail on any throw. Meanwhile, you have a 2-3' guy in the backfield, this guy looks a lot like the road runner from the Looney Toons Cartoon. Rodgers can mix things up by occasionally handing him the ball. I don't care if the defense throws ACME rocks or dynamite at him, he simply will be unstoppable carrying the ball with this offense. Now on Defense...........:coffee:
You guys act childish. Im talking legitimate football, and you blow things out of proportion. Put words in my mouth and then write this garbage?
Weak.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saying something like using Tretter as an extra TE for a jumbo type package because he's athletic enough to block at the attack and get to the 2nd level and block in the run game is talking legitimate football. what you proposed is kind of goofy. Though I'm sure if we had guys athletic enough at 300+ lber's at 6'6", that could run 4.6's and catch, it would be something to try. I admit it's frustrating when those types of guys are 7 deep on every other team in the league and not the GB Packers, but it's the roster we've been dealt.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Serious inquiry:
When an extra lineman checks into the game, he reports to the ref as a tackle eligible or some such phrase. Does he have to do it every play or is it just the first time and lasts the whole time he's on the field? I'm thinking a three goal line plays span. Also, could the new player line up at guard and kick the OT already on the field to the outside? Who then is the "extra" lineman?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Serious inquiry:
When an extra lineman checks into the game, he reports to the ref as a tackle eligible or some such phrase. Does he have to do it every play or is it just the first time and lasts the whole time he's on the field? I'm thinking a three goal line plays span. Also, could the new player line up at guard and kick the OT already on the field to the outside? Who then is the "extra" lineman?

Article 1: An offensive player wearing the number of an ineligible pass receiver (50-79 and 90-99) is permitted to line up in the position of an eligible pass receiver (1-49 and 80-89), and an offensive player wearing the number of an eligible pass receiver is permitted to line up in the position of an ineligible pass receiver, provided that he immediately reports the change in his eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to each play he must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game clock shall not be stopped, and the ball shall not be put in play until the Referee takes his normal position.

Members online

Latest posts