Ok, since we cant protect Rodgers...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its like this. Im sick of Rodgers getting smashed every play. This is a long standing problem, and it needs to be fixed. Im ready to mix it up. As in we move the investment into our top 5 guards, and go get a star LT. Such as Joe Thomas... Or Okung or what ever his name is. Add a stud to our OT group and fill in with rookie/in house, guys.

We need to do something.....

How about we develope the first 7 man Oline. Call them 315 pound TEs. That gives Rodgers 3 speed targets, and 2 outlets... It isnt dynamic, but Rodgers stays upright, and lacy will have blocking. We got to do something. ugh.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bad thread title and worse OP.

D

Deleted member 6794

Its like this. Im sick of Rodgers getting smashed every play. This is a long standing problem, and it needs to be fixed. Im ready to mix it up. As in we move the investment into our top 5 guards, and go get a star LT. Such as Joe Thomas... Or Okung or what ever his name is. Add a stud to our OT group and fill in with rookie/in house, guys.

How about we develope the first 7 man Oline. Call them 315 pound TEs. That gives Rodgers 3 speed targets, and 2 outlets... It isnt dynamic, but Rodgers stays upright, and lacy will have blocking. We got to do something. ugh.

The starters are absolutely fine in pass protection but have to improve blocking for the run. In addition the team needs to add much needed depth at the tackle position. As I´ve posted in another thread I don´t expect Thompson to re-sign both Sitton and Lang after next season but we´ll for sure not use a seven man OL.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im saying... "Fine" isnt good enough.....I want results.

With 3 skill players, and two giants for an outlet pass if things break down. I suspect (with time) Rodgers could pick teams apart. And Lacy running out of the same formation would be able to get his average ypc up closer to 5...

D

Deleted member 6794

With 3 skill players, and two giants for an outlet pass if things break down. I suspect (with time) Rodgers could pick teams apart. And Lacy running out of the same formation would be able to get his average ypc up closer to 5...

First of all teams are only allowed to have 11 players on the field so Lacy wouldn´t be able to run out of such a formation. I really don´t have the time and energy to explain to you why that suggestion is a terrible idea.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all teams are only allowed to have 11 players on the field so Lacy wouldn´t be able to run out of such a formation. I really don´t have the time and energy to explain to you why that suggestion is a terrible idea.
When Favre won his superbowl, Chamura and keithJackson were on the field most the time... Both Ravens superbowls relied heavily on a crushing defense and two big time TEs that played smash mouth in the trenches... Two 315 pound OTs who think they are shaq daddy, could be considered a version of this...

And I said 3 skill players Wimm... lacy would be considered a skill position. I dont think i have the energy to explain this to you...

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isnt just the line. They dont do enough to get receivers open quickly, and rodgers doesnt look for quick throws.

D

Deleted member 6794

When Favre won his superbowl, Chamura and keithJackson were on the field most the time... Both Ravens superbowls relied heavily on a crushing defense and two big time TEs that played smash mouth in the trenches... Two 315 pound OTs who think they are shaq daddy, could be considered a version of this...

Chmura (248 pounds) and Jackson (250) were both capable of running a route and catching the ball. I wouldn´t mind adding a tight end excelling in blocking as well but there´s no reason to put another two 300+ pounder on the line.

And I said 3 skill players Wimm... lacy would be considered a skill position. I dont think i have the energy to explain this to you...

So you want to line up with only two receivers and two 315-pound tight ends all game long with the best QB in the league throwing the ball??? Great idea. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the talking heads have confirmed...... They still have zero creativity. yawn??? Calling me high??? want to get into a offseason chiz slingin contest?

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the favre SB team... We didnt have much choice but to jave 2te's on the field... Freeman was out a while and Brooks was lost for the year. We were playing with street FA's at wr, having a heavy lean on veteran te's was the only way to maintain any continuity. Plus, as mentioned, they were both capable receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see the talking heads have confirmed...... They still have zero creativity. yawn??? Calling me high??? want to get into a offseason chiz slingin contest?

Being creative is fine as long as it makes at least some sense. Unfortunately your suggestion doesn´t fall under that category, not for the first time I might add.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isnt just the line. They dont do enough to get receivers open quickly, and rodgers doesnt look for quick throws.[/QUOTE
Wouldnt extra protection , give the WRs more time to get open? And Why have 3 WRs if only 1 or 2 "can get open"? Why not have 1 or 2 WRs and extra blocking?

Two 315 pound TEs is obviously extreme... But consider some 6th lineman scenarios. And get a big TE that can block! We need to protect Rosgers in the second half of his career.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wouldnt extra protection , give the WRs more time to get open? And Why have 3 WRs if only 1 or 2 "can get open"? Why not have 1 or 2 WRs and extra blocking?

Because in that scenario a defense would be able to at least double team the receiver(s), making it way tougher for them to get open.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Historically, 4 Dlinemen against 5 Olinemen. Oline needed the one man advantage to consistantly come out on top...
In the evolution of the 3-4. We are getting rushers from every direction. Speed, power, numbers... Its becoming an advantage for defenses...

I see it as the place to attack, from a defensive strategy... Offensive minded, its my biggest concern.... So rewrite the rules a bit. Build an offense around (like I said) 2 OTs that can ball. Think they are shaq daddy. Bring them in to completely solidify the front, and get the push against the run vs any defense... I see some good potential in showing a new look offensive front.

Also, consider. After being used as blockers consistantly. These big TE/OTs could catch defenses off guard... Also. You give shaq daddy a good feed. You cant stop it...

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because in that scenario a defense would be able to at least double team the receiver(s), making it way tougher for them to get open.
If they chose to play that way... Then they arent even considering the OT/TEs as options. Thats good. Rodgers will probabally lead the league in rushing as well... :)

D

Deleted member 6794

If they chose to play that way... Then they arent even considering the OT/TEs as options. Thats good. Rodgers will probabally lead the league in rushing as well... :)

Yeah, I´m quite sure a ton of teams are afraid of a 315-pound TE constantly being used as a receiving threat. :rolleyes: In addition teams will be able to put at least seven guys into the box, making it tough to run the ball as well. But why let a dose of reality get in the way once you start being creative.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My brain hurts. Why are we trying to re-invent the wheel? Hey, maybe we should bring back the wild cat while we're at it and really mix it up?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One of the Packers biggest problem on offense this season was not being able to stretch defenses. So your great idea is to play a short yardage formation for the entire game. This display of a lack of understanding of the game of football is astounding.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Sounds similar to a formation used quite often on 4th and inches, with moderate success (at picking up an inch or two). I don't see how such a formation would be advantageous in any shape or form other then a gadget play. But keeping two 315 lb TE's on the roster to run a gadget play, I don't see it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, the protection for Rodgers is so/so with our line against good pass rushing teams. The problem is that is all most of them seem to be able to do. They do not run block well and 3rd and short is ridiculous sometimes the way they get pushed back. Either they are not fast enough to run block well or they are not coached well. Campen was never what I would call a very good lineman. Maybe he is part of the problem.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You dont think there are 300 pound OTs that can catch?

Look. Every time something new comes around. They are good until it is figured out how to stop it. There is a lot to be said about having speed and quickness with 3 and having 2 big huge TEs that can post up... Try getting the right personel to defend that. ESPECIALLY when they are playing our game.... We come in practiced and execute... We could not only make it work. I think it would give rodgers time, and give lacy the blocking he needs to get up to ramming speed.

Sounds similar to a formation used quite often on 4th and inches, with moderate success (at picking up an inch or two). I don't see how such a formation would be advantageous in any shape or form other then a gadget play. But keeping two 315 lb TE's on the roster to run a gadget play, I don't see it.
That is out of context. A goal line stand is a goal line stand. But what could be run out of that formation? 3 players who can get open is better than 5 who cant get open...... So get a few that get open. nelson, Cobb, Montgomery. Run the WRs, or exchange one for Lacy. Rodgers can hit some of those lanes too.....

Wimm says the defenses will double every receiver. Pokerbrat thinks our 7 man front will be met with 9 in the box........ Seems to be catching people off guard???

Members online

Latest posts