OK. I'm tryin' this

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beat writers mostly, a handful of teams have some notable guys covering them.
I mean I listen when I am watching inside the nfl and they make picks but to me I dont really take them to heart.
I also like a few sites like chff and FO for picks.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aikm:)an awwwww I couldnt keep a straight face, even over the computer.... lol

Aikman = Packer bashin dousche.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anybody could be worse than Dan Dierdorf for being so consistently wrong.

Matt Millen would give DD a run for his money when he was an analyst, and proved he knew little about managing football when he took the Lions' job. Most analysts are hired because they are able to smoothly fill air time on cue, whether or not it's correct. I find Gruden to be most irritating today, but admit I felt that way about him when he was coaching. Of all the current TV guys, I prefer Steve Young's insights to pretty much anyone else's.

OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Matt Millen would give DD a run for his money when he was an analyst, and proved he knew little about managing football when he took the Lions' job. Most analysts are hired because they are able to smoothly fill air time on cue, whether or not it's correct. I find Gruden to be most irritating today, but admit I felt that way about him when he was coaching. Of all the current TV guys, I prefer Steve Young's insights to pretty much anyone else's.
DD wins for me as most annoying.
I was never crazy about Millen. Take him or leave him.

Agreed on Steve Young. He doesn't run his mouth just to hear himself talk.

Again, I like Jaws the best. And I never really thought Aikman was anti Packer.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Howard I always associate with Ali oddly enough even though he did so much more. I wonder if that will be his legacy...

Yes, calling the Ali matches is most definitely Cosell's legacy. They were made for each other. I remember the time that Cosell was interviewing Ali live and Ali, while Cosell was talking, reached over and lifted Howard's toupee up a bit. Cosell didn't miss a beat and just kept on talking with hardly a notice. Hilarious. See photo below:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Mklangelo

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Yes, calling the Ali matches is most definitely Cosell's legacy. They were made for each other. I remember the time that Cosell was interviewing Ali live and Ali, while Cosell was talking, reached over and lifted Howard's toupee up a bit. Cosell didn't miss a beat and just kept on talking with hardly a notice. Hilarious. See photo below:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That pic made me laugh. They were GREAT together and really liked and respected each other.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Cosell was an extremely articulate, very intelligent, and very arrogant *** who acted like he was the center of attention no matter the event. And I enjoyed watching and listening to him a lot. He was great with Ali and I liked him on Monday night football. I think he had a lot to do with making Monday Night Football the "event" it quickly became.

Millen may be the most spectacularly bad GM in the modern era. While I appreciate his ruining a division rival for about a decade (a .270 “winning” percentage in his eight years in Detroit and it took them about four years after he left to get above .500), he has zero credibility regarding NFL football IMO.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Cosell was an extremely articulate, very intelligent, and very arrogant *** who acted like he was the center of attention no matter the event. And I enjoyed watching and listening to him a lot. He was great with Ali and I liked him on Monday night football. I think he had a lot to do with making Monday Night Football the "event" it quickly became.

Millen may be the most spectacularly bad GM in the modern era. While I appreciate his ruining a division rival for about a decade (a .270 “winning” percentage in his eight years in Detroit and it took them about four years after he left to get above .500), he has zero credibility regarding NFL football IMO.

I dont mind millen as a commentator, and think they are completely separate jobs as far as how I view their performance.

Fairly sure Dennis Miller would be a terrible GM though lol

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont mind millen as a commentator, and think they are completely separate jobs as far as how I view their performance.
Of course they're separate jobs but Millen is "selling" his NFL football knowledge and his performance as Lions GM tells me a lot more about him than anything else. To each his own but I wouldn't listen to Jimmy Carter's critique of how to be a great President either.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course they're separate jobs but Millen is "selling" his NFL football knowledge and his performance as Lions GM tells me a lot more about him than anything else. To each his own but I wouldn't listen to Jimmy Carter's critique of how to be a great President either.

I look for quality speaking ability and saying lack of dumb things more than football knowledge but yeah each his own as you say. I know you are far from alone on those thoughts of millen

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was a kid and Jimmie the Greek was cool.

I don't listen to any of these guys anymore and I wish there was a way to mute the broadcaster and still have the background noise when watching a game most of the time. I think in this day of tweeting, instagramming, and social media most of these guys just go along with whats hot at that moment. I call them "flip floppers". If you want to hear whats trendy at the time then that's what you will get. I will give Jaws credit as it appears he at least takes the time to actually do his own home work and not rely so much on whats trending at that particular time on twitter.

I will say this. The day I stopped listening to all those guys and was left to my own devices I started picking winners more often.

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like Mike Carlson also, i remember when he was doing the punditry on channel 5 when they had some NFL coverage back in the day. though i do also like Cecil Martin, Shaun Gayle and Kevin Cadle on Sky's coverage

Agree, Mike Carlson is top man at summarising and forecasting NFL on our screens over here in the UK. He his part of a perfect double act with presenter Nat Coombs who cover the Sunday late game on Channel 4. Shame the channel doesn't get to screen the post season match ups (they do show the Superbowl though). On Sky Kevin Cadle is a very good host & Cecil Martin is a fine pundit. We had a different guest covering the Packers/Dallas play off game - Evan Moore. This guy is very, very good at calling and analysing plays - hope he is back again on our screens soon.

Reaction score
mike carlson for me he is an american sports journalist, blogger and tv pundit in england on channel 4. Very very smart man, very funny and great to listen to, has a massive knowledge of nfl, wrestling and film

I do like Mike Carlson also, i remember when he was doing the punditry on channel 5 when they had some NFL coverage back in the day. though i do also like Cecil Martin, Shaun Gayle and Kevin Cadle on Sky's coverage

Agree, Mike Carlson is top man at summarising and forecasting NFL on our screens over here in the UK. He his part of a perfect double act with presenter Nat Coombs who cover the Sunday late game on Channel 4. Shame the channel doesn't get to screen the post season match ups (they do show the Superbowl though). On Sky Kevin Cadle is a very good host & Cecil Martin is a fine pundit. We had a different guest covering the Packers/Dallas play off game - Evan Moore. This guy is very, very good at calling and analysing plays - hope he is back again on our screens soon.

I can't stand the channel 4 guys! :laugh: I just think they're so cringeworthy and amateurish.

I much prefer the guys on Sky Sports, although Jeff Reinebold can be a bit much sometimes. Who was that guy we had a few years ago with the messed up finger? I liked him.

Agree with Bridcarper on Evan Moore; him and Shaun Gayle are really good analysts.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cosell missed one game on MNF - Packer game at Lambeau field. Said he would rather spend time with his wife than go to that game. I generally liked him as a commentator, but rolled my eyes from time to time. I remember having the impression he did not like the Packers - this is before his boycott of the Lambeau game.

Millen. Millen was a very good commentator. He knew his stuff. He understood the game. He played and he even went through ref school so he would understand rules and that perspective in the interest of becoming a better commentator. He was so good, he talked a billionaire owner into letting him run a franchise as a GM something he had absolutely zero experience doing and no managerial/leadership experience either. Yeah he failed miserably, that should only tell us how difficult the GM position is. BTW - my understanding of his failure is that he didn't have a consistent master plan. He would listen to this scout, or this coach, or a college coach, or . . . He did not look for a consistent vision of what the team should be and the types of players he would need. Like listening to a scout and taking a CB who is good at man to man when the coach is planning to run a lot of zone.

Members online

Latest posts