1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

OK. I'm tryin' this

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Mklangelo, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Feng Shui Debunker

Ratings:
    +175
    In an effort to get us off the whole "The Brady Bunch visits Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood" debate, I pose a question:

Which NFL pundit, when they pick a winner or break down a game, do you really listen to and why?

I'll throw my pick in after I read a few answers. I'll just say that he works for ESPN.

Discuss. :rolleyes:

2. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Jimmy the Greek.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mklangelo

Ratings:
    +175
    You can't just throw that name out there without telling us why. lol

4. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I always liked Ron Jaworski back in the days when I paid for cable tv. He always had a knack for breaking down the QB's reads and explaining routes.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,593
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +567
    Mike Golic. He played the game and is one of the more level headed talking heads.

7. Mklangelo

Ratings:
    +175
    I always liked Jaworski. Especially that show he did with Merril Hoge :NFl Matchup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    Jimmy the Greek is pretty close since he's dead.

The national media is by and large an echo chamber wasteland. I don't have the patience to sit through an hour of broadcast to get 5 minutes of analysis that sounds like it was drawn from something more than a casual tape review or a repetition of what somebody else had said.

You're better off with the local beat writers. You can be confident they've viewed extensively the team they're talking about while perhaps having some sense of which insiders provide useful info and which misdirect. The process of writing provides at least some time for reflection even if it's a blog written on deadline; TV and radio commentators are called upon to fill any void. Anything can, and does, pop out of their mouths to prevent dead air.

McGuin and Silverstein are the best of the Packer beat writers. Demovsky, the former GBPG writer, handles the Packer blog at ESPN...he's decent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mklangelo

Ratings:
    +175
    What you say is by and large true, but I don't think Jaws is one of those guys that runs his mouth just to fill dead air.

10. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    John Madden-- great humor--- smart coach

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    Madden was very entertaining and good at communicating the emotion of the game. For being such a good coach, I found him to be a surprisingly mediocre analyst. His last couple years doing ABC's Monday Night Football were particularly sad...no homework, mailing it in, and what sounded like too many pre-game beverages. He cleaned up his act for Sunday Night Football, but I think the pass-first game had left his trench-oriented perspective behind.

That said, I don't think anybody could be worse than Dan Dierdorf for being so consistently wrong. Chris Collinsworth's random motor-mouthings are giving Dierdorf a run for the money as most unlistenable.

12. searmh

searmh Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +16
    mike carlson for me he is an american sports journalist, blogger and tv pundit in england on channel 4. Very very smart man, very funny and great to listen to, has a massive knowledge of nfl, wrestling and film

13. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    and you like?

14. scotscheese

scotscheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    I do like Mike Carlson also, i remember when he was doing the punditry on channel 5 when they had some NFL coverage back in the day. though i do also like Cecil Martin, Shaun Gayle and Kevin Cadle on Sky's coverage

15. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +324
    I really loved Hoge & Jaws breaking down plays and showing some of the keys to a play succeeding or failing.

I've always like Chris Collinsworth on TV broadcasts and his ability to quickly spot specific weaknesses and "pressure points" ~ and then seeing a team exploit that a few plays later.

16. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    I listen to Hub Arkush whenever possible. As far as:
    He was a step up from Jerry Glanville.

17. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I liked Jaws on NFL Matchup too. He did his homework and showed the results of his film study. I wasn’t fond of Hoge on that show but Jaws was good enough it didn’t matter.

I agree with HRE about depending upon local writers. National writers and broadcasters can’t know as much detail about each team as those who only cover one. In addition to McGinn and Silverstein I like Wilde too. I also like Hub Arkush – he’s one of the few worth listening to on Bears radio.

I too thought Madden embarrassed himself the last few years.

18. Mklangelo

Ratings:
    +175
    I agree with HRE that Madden sure sounded drunk sometimes.

19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    I liked Jaws too on NFL Matchup. He was fond of naming Rodgers his #1 QB. ;)

The problem I have with the X's and O's shows is they extrapolate too much from a couple of plays. A vulnerability or a successful match up illustrated on one particular play tends to be an isolated event that is likely to have a different outcome against a different alignment, rotation group or opponent.

It's a limitation of the format. If they took one team, for a full hour, dissecting 20-some plays, in order to illustrate what a team does consistently well and what they do poorly, that could be instructive. However, nobody would watch but for that team's diehard faithful.

20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,695
    I see there's a "why not to like Troy Aikman" thread which I did not read.

I find him to be a good color man for the Packers. He's done a lot of Packer games over the past few year so he knows the team. He does his homework and is detail oriented.

21. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I agree about the limitations of Xs and Os shows but when NFL Matchup was on there weren’t many others and helping fans understand, in detail, just a couple of plays was valuable insight even if they went too far in making generalizations from those few plays.

22. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    some of my favorite people are drunks

23. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Ok, you must be pretty young.

24. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    You and I have completely opposing views on this.

John wasn't an analyst, he was a color commentator. that's what they used to call them. Back when watching a football game was more about fun then breaking down and dissecting every fart that occurs on the field. He explained what was happening in the game in a fun and educational way. He was a guy who loved, in the dirt, grass in the helmet smashmouth football. you could feel his enthusiasm for the game. I think it's an insult to call him an analyst. He was so much more then an analyst. I like collinsworth for the same reason. He has fun with the game. He doesn't dissect every play Ad Nauseum. He brings a humor and doesn't repeat what I already know. I also thought Diedorf had those same characteristics.

I'm sure the change to the pass oriented game made it boring for Madden. As it has done for alot of us.

25. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    Because he was giddy?