Oh how times have changed.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I came across some old threads on another packer site. They went all the way back to when Ted first took over. If the threads would have been translated into real life Ted and Mike would have been tared and feathered and run out of Green Bay. "Why did we waste a first round pick on Rodgers" "Thompson and McArthy should be fired".

The single best thing to happen to the packers in the last 10 years was the hiring of Ted. He had the vision to stick to his plan in spite of all the negative press. I sure hope he is doing for someone what Ron Wolf did for him.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.

Fans don't like change.
They were used to things going the way they were.
Even though he kept on a losing track for the Pack, the media and the fans loved Brent. All our hopes were on him because there wasn't any choice.
So they were reluctant to embrace the change because no one had any idea what was going to happen.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was a huge supporter of TT from the start..So much so it led me to be banned from Bretts forum

You can find those threads here to as well...They are buried but still there

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 but I favored the hiring of Ted Thompson at the time because I thought Harlan made a mistake in promoting Sherman to the VP/GM job. Harlan's master stroke IMO was making the decision in '91 to have one "football man" in charge of all football operations with as little interference from the executive committee and board as possible. That corrected the structure of the organization in my view: One man was to oversee football operations who could hire and fire the HC and take a long-term view regarding personnel.

However, Harlan "loved" Sherman so much he went away from that formula. IMO Sherman is a very good person who appreciated the history of the Packers as much or more than any other HC since Lombardi. And I think he was a decent HC but he had never trained to be a GM. In my view it wasn't Sherman's fault he accepted the promotion, but because of his inexperience (and had another full time job as HC) he was set up to fail. Look at his "mortgage the future" forays into free agency and even more telling, look at his record drafting: He had almost the exact same scouting and personnel departments that Thompson has used and look at the dramatic difference in results. (At the time, I was very surprised Thompson didn't bring a single scout or personnel guy when he became GM.)

As we all know, in 2005 Harlan came to the conclusion (again) that the GM and HC jobs were too much for one man and one man should be in charge of all football operations. (Harlan has said it was how much time Sherman was spending as GM with the Mike McKenzie situation that convinced him Sherman was over his head.) So Harlan determined to hire a GM and again split the jobs. At the time I thought he made a mistake in requiring that the new GM would have to agree to keep Sherman on as HC, but that was a minor error on the way to making a huge correction. When he "stole" Thompson back from SEA I was delighted, not only because Thompson had spent more than a decade training to be a GM, but because he was mentored by the great Ron Wolf.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
No need to add anything to Jack's post with that possible exception that Sherman did have a loyal fan base.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Harlan is on record saying he saw the GM job taking its toll on Sherman, and made a mistake

Members online

Latest posts