Officiating At Yesterdays Game

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Who else thought the officials were just horrible yesterday? I mean even I, a Green Bay diehard fan, think the refs were out to screw the Lions. You should hear the Bears fans on their message board. They are sure we're using all that money from the Packers stock to pay off the refs. Of course they also made a few bad call on the Packers, too, but they conveniently forgot that part.

I sure hope we get better crews in the playoffs.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think they were just "not good". I'd find it hard to believe the NFL has a conspiracy to put Detroit in their place.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe officials in playoffs earn it...There is certain criteria that they have to follow to be a playoff official

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I think the rule of only scoring calls on TD's is reviewable needs to be changed.

If the refs would of called it a TD instead of no good, they would of been able to review it. I would of been mad if that happen to us too!

12theTruth

The refs weren't very good. Too much inconsistency between the crews. Against K.C. Jordy Nelson got called for two early P.I.'s. Against the Lions Jordy had a play that was pretty close but nothing was called. Which is it?

I thought that Packers got the better end of the bad calls but those things happen. The Packers were subjected to years of homer calls against the Dallas Cowboys. As a team you have to perservere, create turnovers, and out play your opponent.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the rule of only scoring calls on TD's is reviewable needs to be changed.

If the refs would of called it a TD instead of no good, they would of been able to review it. I would of been mad if that happen to us too!

I think the rule of challenges needs to be changed. If you get a challenge correct, you keep it. If wrong you lose it.

They basically penalized Schwartz for using a challenge earlier to get the correct call.

The whole rule of having to get both right to earn an additional challenge is ridiculous. It essentially penalizes you for getting one right and making the game correct. As long as you're getting the refs to make the correct call and thereby perfecting one aspect of the game, you should keep your challenge.

Then if you miss 2, you're done.

OP
OP
greenandgold

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Come on, the refs really were blowing it, How can you NOT call Jordie's muff a fumble, or Young's catch a catch? There were bad calls on both sides, but the Lions seemed to be getting royally screwed on a majority of the bad calls. Not that I wanted their 20 year drought at Lambeau to end.

And also not to take away the outstanding game Matt Flynn had.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly was worse for the Lions, but the Packers have had their fair share of bad calls, so I really can't feel too sorry for them. Just a bit of empathy. Fortunately for the Lions the game was meaningless and they didn't need the win to get into the playoffs or anything. I bet they'd blow a gasket if that happened.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Yeah. How in the heck is that being:
1) Unsportsmanlike?
2) Rubbing it in the other team's faces at all?

Was Grant being penalized for not doing the Lambeau Leap instead?
When you think of it, why would the Lambeau Leap be any less of a celebration. Shhhhh...don't say that too loud or that soon will become a penalized infraction.

OP
OP
greenandgold

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Same thing with Collins on his pick six in the Superbowl last year.

Lambeau leap----OK
Leave your feet and not get up in the end zone----bad thing

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you think of it, why would the Lambeau Leap be any less of a celebration. Shhhhh...don't say that too loud or that soon will become a penalized infraction.

I've actually been dreading the day when they declare the Lambeau Leap a penalty for excessive celebration. I think because the Packers have been doing it so long, it's become something iconic, a tradition. Or you can say the Leap is grandfathered in as the Leap preexisted the excessive celebration penalty.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The t.d. for Young had should have been, the muff should have been favor of the lions no disputing that we got peanalties that cost us they got t.d. out of it the problem is lions had every chance as we did to win we gave up 5 t.d.s bottom line is our d-line stepped it up and we won fair and square,we didn't ask megatron to just tickle the ball off his finger tips this is one of the reasons of many why they lost,the better team won with a back up q.b who we can relie on if need be. I do have to say lions d gave up a lot of yards yesterday and all I hear is how we do it at least we do get interceptions and fumbles lions d will be in trouble if they do that with the saints.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

If the refs would of called it a TD instead of no good, they would of been able to review it.

It definately would have been a TD. But but in real time, it didn't look like he got the foot down. I don't mind having more reviews available, but I do NOT want any further delays. Reviews slow down the game enough.

It's also Schwartz's fault that play wasn't reviewed. He's the one who decided to waste one of his allotted reviews on an 8 yard gain earlier in the game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The t.d. for Young had should have been, the muff should have been favor of the lions no disputing that we got peanalties that cost us they got t.d. out of it the problem is lions had every chance as we did to win we gave up 5 t.d.s bottom line is our d-line stepped it up and we won fair and square,we didn't ask megatron to just tickle the ball off his finger tips this is one of the reasons of many why they lost,the better team won with a back up q.b who we can relie on if need be. I do have to say lions d gave up a lot of yards yesterday and all I hear is how we do it at least we do get interceptions and fumbles lions d will be in trouble if they do that with the saints.

I'm not worried about the yards our defense gave up yesterday. We played a vanilla nickle package almost the entire game with our 2 defensive Pro Bowlers on the bench. A lot of other starters saw limited minutes as well. We only blitzed 2 or 3 times all game and our corners didn't play much bump coverage at all. The primary directive for the guys who did play was "Don't Get Hurt".

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
It definately would have been a TD. But but in real time, it didn't look like he got the foot down. I don't mind having more reviews available, but I do NOT want any further delays. Reviews slow down the game enough.

It's also Schwartz's fault that play wasn't reviewed. He's the one who decided to waste one of his allotted reviews on an 8 yard gain earlier in the game.

Somehow I doubt you'd be saying that if it had happened to the packers. The TD call was awful even in real time- the ref should realize all TD calls are reviewable and it would have been fairly easy to overturn it if it wasn't a TD.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I believe officials in playoffs earn it...There is certain criteria that they have to follow to be a playoff official

Every play of every game is reviewed by the Officiating department. Each Ref is graded every week just like Coach does with the Packers. The Ref's that grade well end up officiating the playoffs. If a Ref consistently grades poorly, he sees fewer refereeing opportunities.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I would NOT want that job.. way too much stress...I endure enough stress just fulfilling my armchair QB duties!!!:sneaky:

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I know or what I perceived of the calls was this: (I'm not saying I'm right, just simply the way I saw things)

The Safety
My father and I looked at the rule and essentially as long as no one else had touched the ball and the returner remained within the end zone he should be able to pick up the ball outside of the end zone and bring it back in for a touch-back.

The Non-TD
In normal speed it was really hard to tell where his second foot touches, in slow motion its clear as day obviously, but also the ball isn't in the receivers possession completely, the ball was moving around a lot before and after he came down to the ground. This would explain why it was called an incomplete pass and because of this there wasn't a review because it wasn't a scoring play.
But this also strikes me with some inconsistency in the calls because the exact same thing happened with the Calvin Johnson catch that we challenged and they deemed it a catch, so why not this one? Or in the other case Megatron's catch should have been reversed.

Jordy's "muff"
He called the fair catch got the ball and was simply waiting, I believe the whistle was already blown as well, and in his waiting he was just toying with the ball. I guess think of it as after a catch or a run play the receiver or runner gets up to hand the ball to the ref but he ends up dropping the ball on the ground.

Inconsistencies
Erik Walden gets called for the arm to Stafford, the play was supposed to be dead but the two were still in play and Stafford threw the ball, Walden was trying to make a play on the ball didn't happen and came down, gets called for a very minor hit if you ask me (the nature of the hit and call was similar to that time Woodson got called for the "hit" on Eli). Now the same thing happens on the Green Bay side of it Matt Flynn is running and Vanden Bosch comes up behind him and as Flynn stops Vanden Bosch puts an arm on him, no call though. What I don't get is these things get called but when you knock down the QB after the ball is out it doesn't get called. Flynn gets pancaked when he makes the one TD to Nelson (off the false start), and that's fine but a simple arm to the chest after trying to bat the ball down should not be considered a penalty in my opinion.

"excessive celebration"
I really can't see how Grant's Snow Angel is any bigger of an "excessive celebration" than say the Lambeau Leap, "Discount Double check", or that stupid little dance Scheffler did. He was already on the ground, dude just ran about 40 yards for a TD he's tired you think he wants to get up right after that? Let him do his celebration on the ground if he was already there to begin with.

My thoughts on the Challenges thing.
I believe the reason they don't allow coaches to repeatedly Challenge if they win the call is because it would make the games last longer.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt you'd be saying that if it had happened to the packers. The TD call was awful even in real time- the ref should realize all TD calls are reviewable and it would have been fairly easy to overturn it if it wasn't a TD.

No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I certainly wouldn't throw a hissy fit either. Rules are rules. It wasn't reviewable by the existing rule. Everyone abides by the same rules regarding challenges and officials are not and never will be perfect. Like I said before, I'd never waste a challenge on an 8 yard gain by the other team while they're still in their own territory. Schwartz has nobody to blame but himself, pure and simple.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The major blown call was the missed Lions TD that should have been, and yes, it shows that the rule needs to be changed because it should have been reviewed. I'm not sure I see what the huge outcry is over Jordy's catch/fumble. He called fair catch and looked like he had it.

You can't say the refs were "out" to screw the Lions, but there sure has been some bad reffing this season, I must say.

Latest posts