Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Great updates. Thanks a bunch Top.

Good to hear even more goodness on James Jones. Hope he can fit right into the 3-slot and be a vaccum across the middle.

Also good to see that guys like Moll are getting reps with the 1's. The more they're in there, the better it makes our depth. I like it. I like it alot!

As far as the crowd noise, I doubt that its anything close to the resonating, pulsing, inside-your-whole-body-not-just-your-ears noise in that will be present in the purple pimple and other places like Arrowhead and Invesco.

Oh, and it's awesome that we are at least practicing a halfback pass with BJack in there. Just *&#@ing awesome!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Training Camp Reports

It's good to see that a player is quickly held responsible for his mistake. One false start and you're on the sideline. That;ll make a guy stop and think.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICS

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/662900.html

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg Jennings.

Bret Favre.

Justin Harrell on bicycle along with Johnny Jolly.

Defensive end Larry Birdine cooled off by defensive Jason Hunter.

Sun sets over Lambeau Field as Packers begin first of evening practices.

Railbirds watch practice at Clarke Hinkle Field.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

that sunset pic is money.

and i like how jolly is walking instead of riding...since he needs to lose some weight,etc. hehehe

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM PRESS CONFERENCE: HIGHLIGHTS

http://www.packers.com

(Were you happy with the way the offense played today inside the red zone?)

I thought the whole practice was sharp. We can start with the defense. I thought they did a great job of practicing in pads. You could have those close collisions. I thought they played smart and were extremely sharp. I thought the offense was very sharp, particularly in the red zone. I was very pleased with three series (in the red zone).

(Is Donald Driver clear to practice?)

He's clear. He has no limitations. We're just being cautious with his shoulder.

(How do Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett look?)

They passed their test yesterday. They're all set and ready to go. It's much needed.

(Are you pleased with Robert Ferguson?)

I think Robert has had a very good camp. We're being cautious with his foot. He's on a one-a-day schedule. He's had an excellent start. He had a big catch yesterday in the red zone. We're very happy with him.

(How much does it help that the linebackers unit is intact?)

You can see the continuity and comfort on the defense as a whole this early in camp. I was speaking to Al Harris before practice about it. The communication is much better. The continuity starts with Nick (Collins) calling (the play) in the huddle. He's very verbal with the offensive personnel coming in. You can see that guys are flying around and making plays. That's what that defense is all about.

(What do you think of DeShawn Wynn coming back to practice after leaving?)

DeShawn is fighting like crazy to get back on the field. I thought he did some nice things today. He's a talented young man. He has exceptional foot quickness for his size. We've talked about it. He has a stomach virus. He's just fighting through it.

(What do you think of Aaron Rouse so far?)

He looks comfortable out there. He has a good understanding of the scheme, especially as a rookie. I'm excited to see him play the special teams segment in the preseason. He looks very natural and comfortable there. With his body type he is a mismatch for us, whether it be on defense or special teams. I think he's off to a good start.

(What do you think of Frank Walker?)

We brought him in as a free agent. We expect him to compete for that nickel position. The competition is going to be hot and heavy. He's off to a solid start. I saw Frank get comfortable in the OTAs. He finished strong and he's off to a solid start.

(How is Patrick Dendy playing?)

Patrick has a ton of experience. He played very good football for us. He was a marked man when he went in as a young guy. I thought he held up very well. His experience will pay off this season. He did a great job in the weight room. He added some strength. We like Patrick Dendy.

(How is Ingle Martin's decision- making?)

I thought Ingle had a good series segment. On the one touchdown I gave him a minus decision but we'll talk about that later I guess. He's done very good with his opportunities. He just has to stay away from the blow up plays that a lot of quarterbacks go through. When it's ugly, throwing it away is okay. Ingle has done a great job with his decisions.

(Is it odd having the offense play this well this early in training camp?)

You're asking an offensive guy. I'd like to think that we always play well. It comes and goes. There are so many other factors involved. We're mixing a lot of different personnel. I don't get caught up in that as much as everyone else. The beauty about football is that you can be down here watching a practice and think it's not that good. When you watch the tape then it's not as bad as you thought. We feel pretty good about the offense right now and when we watch the film there will be four or five things that you wish didn't happen. That's why you have training camp and we have to work to clean those things up.

(Do you rely on Harris and Charles Woodson to be coaches on the field?)

I think it's very important for your veteran players to step up and play well. A part of being a big-time player is all the little things. The communication in the locker room, in the class room and out in the practice environment is what we promote. That's how we're structured from a philosophical standpoint. That's what we ask our players to do.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Patrick dendy is the best. MM was thinking it. I can read minds. I'm like parkman from heroes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Thanks for highlighting only the questions. Makes it sweet to read!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Training Camp Reports

pack_in_black said:
Jackson is also going to spend a lot more time going out for passes than pass blocking.

IDK, I think pass pro. is one of the most important responsibilities of a #1 RB. Don't think guys like Takeo Spikes, Shawn Merriman, Matthias Kiwanuka, (whom Bjack will see in weeks 1-3) will ease up on ol #4 after a highlight-reel blowup of a rook RB trying to slow them down.

BJack needs to get his protection nailed down, or it could be trouble for Big Brett.

Actually, Kiwanuka will ease up on #4. He'll come in for a sack, start driving him back, then will amazingly let him go and Favre will take off. Coughlin will run up and down the sideline like a whining little ol' man....wait, didn't this happen already???

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY EVENING SESSION

UPDATED & MOVED.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: TUESDAY EVENING SESSION AT CITY STADIUM

Rookie safety Rouse shows promise
By Tom Pelissero
[email protected]

It's tough to say which of Aaron Rouse's plays stood out more — intercepting Ingle Martin or flattening P.J. Pope.

Either way, the Green Bay Packers' rookie safety was hard to miss Monday afternoon at Clarke Hinkle Field.

"Every day, you've got to battle," said Rouse, the latter of the Packers' third-round draft picks. "It's not like college, where you can take a day off and still got your scholarship. Again, it's a job, it's a business. I love it, and I'm out there competing and having fun."

Rouse's previous notable camp moment came during Saturday's ball-security drill, when he stripped veteran tight end Bubba Franks. But even at 6-foot-4 and 223 pounds, he'd largely been invisible in team settings while splitting time with the second- and third-unit safety pairings.

That changed in a 7-on-7 drill late in Monday's workout when he read the formation, stepped underneath tight end Zac Alcorn and picked off Martin's pass in stride.

"I thought he made a very nice play on the interception," coach Mike McCarthy said. "You can see his athletic ability, especially for his size."

A short time later, while working against the starting offense in an 11-on-11 period, Rouse sealed off the edge and smacked Pope, who thudded onto his rear end as the rookie stood over him and yelled.

Plays like those will have to come frequently if Rouse is to challenge veteran Marquand Manuel for the starting job opposite Nick Collins this season. So far in training camp, Manuel and Collins have been paired together consistently, while coaches have experimented with various combinations of Rouse, Atari Bigby, Tyrone Culver, Charlie Peprah and Marviel Underwood on the second and third units.

That could change at any time if Manuel struggles, but Rouse said he's not in a rush to ascend the depth chart.

"It really doesn't matter what team you go with," Rouse said, "as long as you know what you're doing and competing and making plays like I did today."

Reaction score

Good to see Rouse showing something in both pass defending and run D.

It is practice, but at the same time, it's something that is a positive for a rookie.

Good to hear Rouse making a couple plays here and there. Hopefully this is just the beginning...

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY EVENING SESSION

UPDATED & MOVED.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: TUESDAY EVENING SESSION

Tonight's series of overly detailed results from 1-on-1 passing drills, presented wrestling-style (offensive player in ALL CAPS):

GREG JENNINGS def. Al Harris
DONALD DRIVER def. Charles Woodson
RUVELL MARTIN def. Patrick Dendy*
Frank Walker def. ROBERT FERGUSON
CARLYLE HOLIDAY def. Will Blackmon
Nick Collins def. DAVID CLOWNEY
Tramon Williams def. CARLTON BREWSTER
SHAUN BODIFORD def. Jarrett Bush
CALVIN RUSSELL def. Atari Bigby
JAMES JONES def. Antonio Malone
JENNINGS def. Harris
DRIVER def. Woodson
MARTIN def. Marviel Underwood
Walker def. FERGUSON
Tyrone Culver def. HOLIDAY
CLOWNEY def. Marquand Manuel
Aaron Rouse def. BREWSTER
Charlie Peprah def. BODIFORD
RUSSELL def. Dendy
JONES def. Collins
*Major decision

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY EVENING SESSION: COMPLETE WRAP UP

Tonight's leftovers

Read Rob Demovsky's Insider report for more on this, but for now, let's just say the Packers' first go at the 2-minute drill was ugly. The final damage between the three units: zero points; a net loss by the second and third teams; two bobbled snaps and a fumble by third-string QB Paul Thompson; and at least four offensive penalties.

Elsewhere ...

-- With Brandon Miree (Achilles') sitting out, rookie fullback Korey Hall took the majority of first reps with the starters. In the last team period, Hall caught a pass and bowled over cornerback Will Blackmon at the goal line.

-- The play of the night probably goes to Calvin Russell and Aaron Rodgers, who hooked up to torch rookie safety Aaron Rouse on an all-go during the blitz period.

-- Dropping 'em like they're hot: Chris Francies, Robert Ferguson, James Jones (the play after Ferguson's) and Brandon Jackson.

-- Newly signed tight end Joe Werner's first practice was much like the past six years of his life: He didn't play football.

-- P.J. Pope would have been in more trouble had Nick Barnett actually tried to light him up after sniffing out a screen during the last team period.

-- And your final passing stats from City Stadium (7-on-7 in parentheses): Rodgers 27-for-38 (10-for-14); Ingle Martin 16-for-20 (7-for-8); and Thompson 6-for-10 (3-for-3).

The Packers return to the field at 8:45 a.m. Thursday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miree has Achilles injury; Franks out after taking shot to head
Fullback Brandon Miree has an Achilles injury and linebacker Rory Johnson has an abdominal injury. Both sat out tonight's practice, according to Coach Mike McCarthy. Tight end Bubba Franks also left the field after taking a shot to the right side of the head during a team drill, but McCarthy said he didn't notice Franks go out and didn't have any other information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosby 5 of 5, Rayner 4 of 5 in field goal drill

In another field-goal drill, Dave Rayner made two of two kicks from 28 yards, two of two from 34 yards and 1 of 2 from 40 yards. Rayner's first kick from 40 was blocked by Jarrett Bush on a bad snap from Clark Harris. Rookie Mason Crosby made all five of his field goals, including 2 from 28 yards, 2 from 34 yards and one from 40 yards.

-- The team period was marred by some penalty problems. Left tackle Chad Clifton and guard Travis Lefew both had false starts and defensive lineman Michael Montgomery was offsides. All three penalties came during an 18-play stretch.

Franks, Jennings draw cheers

TE Bubba Franks drew the biggest cheer of the night with a deep catch over the middle and he showed some agility to avoid converging defensive backs. Greg Jennings also drew cheers when he caught a deep crossing route from Rodgers. More cheers came when running back Jackson burst through a huge hole in the middle of the line.

Other observations from a team drill:

-- A.J. Hawk would have easily sack Rodgers on a blitz.

-- Receiver Chris Francies beat Patrick Dendy on a deep slant route.

-- Calvin Russell dropped a pass from Rodgers on a blitz drill with Aaron Rouse in coverage.

-- In a one-on-one receiver vs. defensive back drill, Jennings had a nice catch in the end zone over Al Harris. Jennings then later beat Harris on a crossing route over the middle. Donald Driver, who was the sidelines for the first two days of camp, caught a pair of passes over cornerback Charles Woodson.

-- A large color LED TV screen is located in the northwest corner of City Stadium. The 4 by 8 1/2-foot screen is displaying Packers highlights as well as training camp schedules and other information.

RB Jackson struggles again

For the third straight day, rookie running back Brandon Jackson struggled to pick up blitzing linebackers during the team drill. Jackson missed a block on Nick Barnett who would have sacked quarterback Aaron Rodgers. In the same period, first-round draft pick Justin Harrell took a few snaps with the No. 1 defense. Also in the blitz period, Rodgers connected with receiver Ruvell Martin for a deep sideline completion over Patrick Dendy.

Defensive backs finally get a chance to tackle -- a dummy

Defensive backs haven't been engaged in any live tackling during training camp, so tonight they took out their pent-up frustrations by diving at a tackling dummy placed on a thick-padded landing area. Charles Woodson didn't participate in that drill. Committing drops during the pass-catching drill in the secondary were Jarrett Bush and Will Blackmon. In an unrelated item, the NFL Network is taping portions of tonight's practice and will air footage at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Rayner edges Crosby in kicking drill

Dave Rayner held a slight advantage over Mason Crosby in a kicking drill. The Packers kickers booted successful 42-yard field goals, but Rayner held the upper hand on kickoffs. Rayner's five kicks went to the 4-yard line, the 6-yard line, the goal line, the 4-yard line and the goal line. His hang times were: 4.16 seconds, 4.25, 4.00, 3.87 and 3.85. Crosby's kickoffs went the following distances: to the 7-yard line, the 13-yard line, the 17-yard line, 1 yard deep in the end zone and to the 9-yard line. His hang times were: 3.94 seconds, 4.31, 2.38, 3.62 and 4.18. Lining up for one kick return unit: Shaun Bodiford and Ryan Powdrell.

Packers start practice at City Stadium, Werner in uniform

The crowd, estimated at between 2,000 and 3,000 people, greeted the Green Bay Packers tonight as they conducted their first practice in 46 years at the stadium, adjacent to Green Bay East High School. Dressed in shorts for the start of the 6:30 p.m. practice and who did not participate in full-scale workouts: Vernand Morency, Brandon Miree, Daniel Muir, Juwan Simpson, Allen Barbre and Rory Johnson. Newly signed tight end Joe Werner was in uniform, wearing No. 47.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TODAY, WEDNESDAY, IS AN OFF DAY WITH REVIEWS.

Reaction score

Watching Coach McCarthy's press conference after the night practice, you realize one thing: the Packers didn't have a very good practice.

MM was mad. Real mad.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good to see KHall getting some reps with the 1st team, I'm rooting for the guy big time. I really hope he makes it.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REVIEW

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/PKR01/708010623/1989

Insider: Martin finally takes advantage of his height

Thumbs up

Ruvell Martin might be the one receiver on the roster who has the size (at 6-foot-4) to make plays over the top of cornerbacks. On Tuesday, he finally showed it. He made a pair of catches — one during the morning practice and one in the evening session at City Stadium — that perhaps only he could have hauled in. During the morning session, he ran a fade pattern on fourth-and-goal from the 5-yard line and caught a touchdown in the left corner of the end zone over cornerback Will Blackmon. He then caught a deep ball on a sideline route over cornerback Patrick Dendy during a blitz period in the night practice. He also used his size to elevate over Dendy and safety Marviel Underwood during a one-on-one passing drill during the night session. Perhaps it signaled a turnaround for Martin, who according to unofficial training camp statistics compiled by the Press-Gazette, had not made a catch during a team (11-on-11) period in the first four training camp practices.

Thumbs down

There's one sure-fire way for a running back to lose his starting job — repeatedly botch the blitz pick-up drill in training camp. The sooner rookie Brandon Jackson figures that out, the better off his quarterbacks will be and the better his chances will be to secure the starting job. Once again, Jackson missed a blitz pickup during a team period in which the defense blitzes on every play. He barely grazed linebacker Nick Barnett, who had a free shot at quarterback Aaron Rodgers. At least Jackson managed to touch Barnett on that play. Earlier in training camp, both Barnett and fellow linebacker A.J. Hawk steamrolled Jackson on separate plays during the same drill. It's a good thing for the sake of the quarterbacks that it was only practice, because if it happened in a game, one of them might have gotten drilled. Jackson's problem is he's too tentative. Instead of heading off the blitzer by stepping into him, he sits back and waits. By then, the blitzing player has all the momentum, and Jackson is left flat-footed. Jackson has received the bulk of the reps with the No. 1 offense since Vernand Morency went down with a knee injury on July 28, but the coaching staff might have to consider taking Jackson out — especially in obvious passing situations — if he can't figure out how to pick up blitzes.

Did you notice?

The first 2-minute drill of training camp was borderline disastrous for the offense. All three offensive units failed to score during the drill that ended the City Stadium practice. The first one, led by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, included sacks by Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins and a deflected pass by Jenkins. The second, led by Ingle Martin, included two offensive penalties and three straight incompletions to end the drive. Paul Thompson's turn included a fumbled snap and an offensive penalty. Dave Rayner went 6-for-7 on field goals during the night practice. The miss, a 40-yarder, was blocked by Jarrett Bush and also included a poor snap by backup Clark Harris. Rookie Mason Crosby was 6-for-6. Both made their longest attempts from 42 yards. Rookie Korey Hall got most of the work as the No. 1 fullback in place of Brandon Miree.

Blackmon struggled in coverage during both practices, allowing completions on the fade to Ruvell Martin and a slant to David Clowney in the morning practice. In the night session, Greg Jennings beat him on an out-and-in move, and Hall bowled him over for a 10-yard touchdown catch. The Packers worked on kickoff returns during both practices and used the following players as the primary return men: Shaun Bodiford, Noah Herron, James Jones, DeShawn Wynn, Clowney, Blackmon and Jackson

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PICS

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=galleryindex

Historic City Stadium

Packers evening session at City Stadium

Charles Woodson & Al Harris: "Who is your investment counselor?"

Clifton's son watches the Pack.

Brandon Jackson: "Gee, learning NFL blocking is tuff"

Barnett: "No Comment"

Rodgers: "When is BF coming back?"

A J Hawk: "They expect the defense to win games?"

Defensive Line: "Where is Bret...this offense suuuccckksss?"

Fan: "MMMM....Is that TT rolling his eyes looking at Harrell?"

Pickett: "Where is my huff and puff partner?

Jones: "I got it!"

Rayner: "Crosby is a tough competitor!"

Setting sun at City Stadium

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: PICS

Hmmm does it concern anyone else that in almost every update Dendy is getting burned :razz:

Maybe are receivers are just that good :thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PICS

Hmmm does it concern anyone else that in almost every update Dendy is getting burned :razz:

Maybe are receivers are just that good :thumbsup:

its been 2 days, and its been big WRs taking advantage of his size, which is exactly how you play it.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think having Al Harris and Charles Woodson on the practice field is really going to pay off for all our young receivers. It'll even do wonders for Fergie.

Status
Not open for further replies.