OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAY 4 REVIEWS: INSIDERS

http://packers.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=663535

The Word: Training Camp Day 4: From artificial noise to historic field; Lee making most of opportunity; Harrell is sluggish.

The last time the Green Bay Packers practiced at City Stadium, John F. Kennedy was president, Roger Maris was chasing Babe Ruth’s 34-year old home run record, and Reggie White’s birth was four months away.
Tuesday night, the Pack was back at City Stadium where they won six titles from 1925-56. Green Bay hadn’t practiced at Curly Lambeau’s domain since August 5, 1961 when Vince Lombardi held an intra-squad scrimmage. McCarthy called Tuesday night's practice ‘spirited’ and a ‘great atmosphere’ to play in, with an estimated crowd of 3,500. But the offense sure was rusty at times.

In the team’s first two minute drill, the offensive line had multiple false starts, all three offensive units failed to put points on the board, and there were two bobbled snaps. No doubt Brett Favre and his 36 career game-winning comebacks were sorely missed at this low point of training camp. The offense has looked sharp in several other unique drills that directly affect the team....Another offensive-oriented drill the team has implemented sets a solid mental foundation for the young crop of receivers. With the ball at the 20-yard line and no defense present, wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson stands in deep center and yells what type of coverage the secondary is in, whether it is “press,” “cover 2,” etc… The receivers run their route accordingly and Aaron Rodgers and co. are expected to hit their target in stride. This establishes a valuable principle of the West Coast offense. Route adjustments are a natural on-the-line reaction, requiring no wasted time of checking with the quarterback. Favre thrives in this no-audible form of play-changing. It’s particularly important late in games, when the offense is lucky to have any time to run an official play.

The offense’s overall instincts are surprisingly high for such a green unit. Drills like these should translate success in practice to game day. Here are some more notes from Green Bay’s memorable night at City Stadium:

Offensive Play of the Day

Aaron Rodgers admits he scans the line for Ruvell Martin whenever a passing play is called and Martin agrees whole-heartedly that the two have maintained great chemistry the past three seasons. At City Stadium, they were at it again. On a ‘go’ route, Rodgers didn’t loft the ball up-for-grabs, as most quarterbacks would. He took an extra step in his dropback, fired the bomb 30 yards on a bee-line, Martin chased the ball down and snagged it at it’s a highest point over defensive back Patrick Dendy. After four days, James Jones has unquestionably been the most pleasant surprise at WR, but Martin isn’t trailing by much in the race for the No. 3 spot behind Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. Under the lights Tuesday, Martin hauled down three jump balls and muscled away a 10-yard grab even as Patrick Dendy hanged on him in his best Ahmad Carroll impression.

Defensive Play of the Day

During 11-on-11 on 3rd-and-five, Rodgers hit running back P.J. Pope on a swing pass to the left side. Pope went nowhere. A.J. Hawk has had a field day anticipating and tipping passes each day of camp. But it was his running mate, Nick Barnett, who stormed across the line of scrimmage to pop Pope. In a full-contact scenario, Pope would have looked a lot like San Francisco’s Adam Walker circa 1995. Only Barnett had an even faster head-of-steam than Wayne Simmons did on that game-changing divisional playoff play.

Stock is Up

Bubba Franks was the universal whipping boy at tight end all last season and throughout the off-season. But his competition in 2007, Donald Lee wasn’t far behind in the drops department. Lee only caught 10 passes for 150 yards in 15 games and two starts last year, never doing enough to play ahead of David Martin or Franks. But it’s a new season. Lee he has played like the starting tight end job is his to lose in camp. He has a considerable athletic edge over Franks and has shown improved concentration in every passing drill. Still, Lee doesn’t see this summer as a ‘me vs. him’ battle. The tight end battle will be won in the preseason....

Stock is Down

The expectations are high. The production has been slim. First round pick Justin Harrell is still struggling to get into football shape. He has mostly worked with the second team defense and has done hardly anything to distinguish himself. It’s difficult for any defensive tackle to shine in training camp. Contact is discouraged, bottling up the talent of guys like Harrell. But Harrell’s problems have been obvious. Tonight, as practice dragged on for 2 and 1/2 hours and the team began two-minute drill work, Harrell’s fatigue worsened. After guard Travis Leffew manhandled him on the first play, the 16th overall pick went to the sideline immediately for a breather. Harrell admits he still isn’t in ‘football shape.’ Two days ago, Harrell also appeared sluggish in a sled pop drill. He attacked the pad too high and was more apt to fall into it rather than explode through it. Quite possibly, Harrell relied on athleticism and raw talent at Tennessee to dominate games. At the NFL-level he still has a distinct size advantage at 6-4, 310 lbs. But it will take a lot more coaching (and conditioning) than initially expected for Harrell to be a starter on Green Bay’s defense. Thankfully, there is a lot of summer left and Harrell is in camp, not holding out.

He Said It

“Oh yeah, definitely. I came into this camp the same way I went into Chicago. I just have to try to do my job and not worry about what the coaches are thinking. I have to just go out and stay focused on what I need to do. Hopefully by the end of camp, I will have put myself in a good position.”-Running back P.J. Pope on if he believes Green Bay is a better opportunity for him than his last team, Chicago.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAY OFF: WILLIE DAVIS TALKS TO TEAM

http://www.packers.com

In Talk To Team, Willie Davis Outlines Winning Mentality. Willie Davis knows what it takes to be a winner.

He was named All-Pro five times in the 1960s, helped Vince Lombardi's teams win five NFL titles, and ultimately was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So when Davis spoke to the team on Wednesday about what it will take for the 2007 Packers to be winners, the players certainly were listening. "It's pretty incredible just to know there's so much history behind his speaking - what's he's seen, what he's been through, the triumphs he's had playing for a legendary coach," fullback Brandon Miree said. "The biggest thing that I gathered is the sacrifice that it takes to be great. He was letting us know that you have to pay a price."

Davis' motivational talk came after a full morning of work in training camp for the team. The first of three Wednesday "off days" as far as practices are concerned, the Packers put in their regular morning routine for a day with one practice. The players did their weightlifting first thing in the morning, followed by team, positional, special teams, and offensive and defensive meetings. After Davis' message and a team meal, the players were dismissed until Thursday, when they will practice twice. Davis' inspiring address began with a light-hearted account of how Lombardi's teams decided who played which position.

"They gave everyone an I.Q. test, and if you passed, you played offense; if you failed, you played defense," Davis joked. "I failed twice, so they made me defensive captain." In a more serious vein, relaying stories from his playing days as well as things he's learned upon reflection over time, Davis emphasized that in the pursuit of meaningful goals, fatigue and thoughts of failure can't enter the equation. "Fatigue is when you give up, make excuses, and rationalize your acceptance of failure," Davis said. "One thing you don't want to do is to approach this season thinking of anything but success and winning. Losing has to be the unexpected element." Known as a relentless pass rusher and punishing hitter, Davis also talked about two traits that he learned to play with under Lombardi - intensity and consistency.

"When you need to raise it up another level to be the winner, many times that comes from intensity - this is going to be our day, my moment," he said. Consistency for Davis came in his commitment to playing every single game, whether he felt great or not. Davis played every game for Green Bay over the 10-year period from 1960 to 1969, and he said he did so because it was important to him. He urged the team to place the same importance on their roles, to earn the trust of their teammates and to take pride in their performance. If they do that, he believes success will follow. "Do you have the will to win, the will to succeed, the will to endure?" Davis asked. "Nothing, absolutely nothing, means more to me than the Green Bay Packers championships. Trust me, it will matter."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Under the lights Tuesday, Martin hauled down three jump balls and muscled away a 10-yard grab even as Patrick Dendy hanged on him in his best Ahmad Carroll impression.

lmao

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like I keep seeing Dendy's name being mentioned as being beat by the WRs. It doesn't sound like he's improving from within.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thurs. Aug. 2

• 8:45 a.m. - shells
• 6:30 p.m. - full pads

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: WEDNESDAY MORNING SESSION

Favre not at morning practice

Practice is underway in shorts at Clarke Hinkle Field and quarterback Brett Favre is absent for the fourth straight practice. Favre was expected to return Wednesday night after flying to Mississippi for the funeral of his wife's stepfather. The reason for his delayed return was not immediately clear. Coach Mike McCarthy is scheduled to address the media about 10:30 a.m. Favre also scheduled to hold a press conference at 11:30 a.m. It will be the first time he speaks to the general media since training camp opened.

I just got a bad feeling about this... something doesn't feel right... hope it is just the effects from supper last night.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM press conference & BF press conference: updated

http://www.packers.com

Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript - Aug. 2

(What do you think about the kicking competition?)

I think we've got two very good kickers. It's going to be good competition. We'll probably do some more tonight and turn up the heat on those guys. And also Saturday night so they can kick in front of a loud crowd. We're just trying to get as good a look as possible at both Dave (Rayner) and Mason (Crosby).

(Will Brett Favre practice in the evening session?)

Yes, he'll go tonight.

(Did he get back last night?)

Yes, he got back last night.

(Have you talked to him?)

I personally haven't talked to him. This is the text message era. I'm learning. I'm not very fast. Jeff (Blumb) has talked to him. Pepper (Burruss) has talked to him. He's back and up at the stadium right now.

(What do you see in Desmond Bishop?)

The one thing we liked about Desmond coming out of Cal is that he is an instinctive player and he has shown that in his practice time. I thought he really showed up in his first night practice. He's done a good job. That second line of linebackers, we need to get as much information, and you're trying to create different scenarios and situations, whether it is sub-defense or special teams to make a proper decision.

(Can you assess where Abdul Hodge is?)

I think Abdul has done a good job. He's had a medical situation with his knees. He's off to a good start. I thought he did a real nice job in some of the run-throughs in the running game at City Stadium the other night. He's definitely progressing.

(Is Vernand Morency still looking at two weeks?)

They're saying a couple weeks, two to three weeks. I talked to Mo this morning. The soreness is in his patella tendon. It's a knee strain is what it's classified as. It's a couple weeks. It could be two. It could be four.

(Are you hoping to get him on the field during the preseason?)

Absolutely. Injuries are a part of our game. I'm not sitting here waiting for him. I don't mean that disrespectfully to him. They happen. We have to move on as a football team. I hope he gets back. I look at him and Tory Humphrey, you could say that they were two of the hardest working guys in the offseason program. For them to get hurt in the first days is nfortunate.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...08/02/packers.favre.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Back with the Packers. Favre returns to team after father-in-law's funeral

Quarterback Brett Favre had a heavy heart as he rejoined the Green Bay Packers on Thursday but admitted that he was eager to resume preparing for the upcoming season. "As I was flying back up last night, as much as any other time in my career, I was really, I shouldn't say excited, but I was ready to get back here and get on with football," Favre said during his first news conference of training camp. "If I wasn't playing, retired, and was at home, it would be much more difficult to be in that environment." Favre was excused from the team's practices earlier in the week to return home to Mississippi for the funeral services of wife Deanna's stepfather, Rocky Byrd. Byrd died of a heart attack Saturday.

Favre, the NFL's only three-time MVP, has endured a string of personal tragedies the last few years. His father, Irv, died of a heart attack a day before the Packers played a game at Oakland in December 2003. Deanna Favre's brother died from injuries sustained in an all-terrain vehicle accident on the Favres' property in Hattiesburg, Miss., in October 2004. A week later, Deanna was diagnosed with breast cancer. Brett Favre's childhood home in Kiln, Miss., where his mother still resided, was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. "It's tough. This one was probably as tough as any," Favre said of Byrd's death. "Surprised. (For) the whole family, it's been difficult, very difficult, and will be."

Favre said he was as close with Byrd as he was with his own father, in some regards admittedly closer because he regarded Byrd as a confidant the last 10 years. Byrd, who was 56, was the second husband of Deanna's mother, Ann. The Byrds had a residence on the Favres' estate. "Rocky, a lot like my dad, was a simple man," Favre said. "We had a lot of great memories." Favre credited football with helping him not dwell too long on his off-field trials. At the urging of his family, Favre stayed with the Packers in Oakland after his father died and had one of his best performances in an illustrious 17-year pro career. He threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns with a personal-best 154.9 passer rating in a nationally televised Monday night victory by Green Bay.

"At least for me, it's something to direct my focus to. People have often said, 'I don't know how you focus or are able to kind of channel your energy and stuff into football during these times.' Well, it can be difficult, but to me, it's better than not having anything to focus on but the tragedy itself. It's not that I forget about it," he said. Favre didn't practice Monday and Tuesday. He returned to Green Bay on Wednesday night and headed to Lambeau Field to watch practice film. "I was eager to get back and to get back to work," Favre said. "I have no idea what's going to happen this year. I'm not going to sit here and make predictions."

Favre was publicly critical of team management in the spring for not upgrading the offense after the Packers went 8-8 last season and barely missed making the playoffs. He said Thursday that question marks abound with the offense, which lost star running back Ahman Green in free agency and has what Favre feels is only one surefire pass catcher in Donald Driver. "I do see potential," Favre said. "But, as I told you guys last year, there's a lot of talent but I said we were very inexperienced. We're probably more inexperienced this year. I don't know, I haven't done the math." Favre was among several veteran players excused by coach Mike McCarthy from the morning practice Thursday, though they were expected to participate in the evening practice. Since training camp started Saturday, Favre had been in only two practices before Thursday night. He said his throwing shoulder his fine, after he was afflicted by soreness that cut short his involvement in offseason workouts in June. He said he now stretches his shoulders more before hitting the field. Favre said he required ice on the shoulder after he practiced Saturday and Sunday.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going on at camp?

Early Training Camp Review

As Packer fans hoped, the early training camp reports show generally good news and a little bad news. The good news: the offensive line shows “light years” improvement in strength and comfort with growing depth; TE Bubba Franks seems to be the old Bubba redux for our West Coast offense; rookie WR James Jones is getting rave reviewsmaking fans hope for a 1Driver, 2Jennings, & 3Jones receiving corps scoring combo; the defense looks solid with competition creating depth & quality among positions including the questionable positions of nickel back, dime back, and strong safety; backup QB Rodgers has looked sharp; & generally rookies are progressing giving hope that they make immediate productive offensive & defensive impacts.

The little bad news: highly touted 1st round rookie DT Justin Harrell looks sluggish seeing limited action; concerns about the endurance & depth of our running backs with injured veteran Morency out & 2nd round rookie RB Brandon Jackson progressing but struggling in pass protection; at last night’s evening session, missing leader QB Favre, the offense looked rusty & sloppy in the two minute drills & red zone drills; and the injury bug has hit Morency, Humphrey, and a growing walking wounded raising depth concerns.

Finally, Tuesday, ESPN's "First Take" had a guest talking about "Pro Football Prospectus 2007." Its cover has a picture of HOF BF saying "Favre goes out a winner." He was asked if New England is the choice to win the Superbowl. While he said NE was the favorite to win it, he offered two possible dark horse choices: Jacksonville and Packers. He liked our defense but he added that the Pack need a playmaker RB. Today, TT said he will not go out to get one.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: MM & BF

McCarthy will have 2 today. Bret is in GB for afternoon camp. I listened to Bret's conference. He talked about family issues, returning, and seeing potential in the team. More forthcoming

Thanks Tophat... darn supper from last night :doh:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like I keep seeing Dendy's name being mentioned as being beat by the WRs. It doesn't sound like he's improving from within.

I watched the Training Camp report last night and they said he's having his best camp but I agree with you. I think Jarrett Bush or Frank Walker ends up as the nickel back. If I'd have a guess it'd be Bush but it's early.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM AND BF PRESS CONFERENCES

did anyone watch todays presser with McCarthy and Favre???

can i get a recap?

PACKNIC, ABOVE, I POSTED MM PC HIGHLIGHTS & BF PC SUMMARY.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're No. 1: Green Bay

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=249326

Best NFL city: Green Bay

As part of SN's celebration of sports' best, our writers make cases for the best football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR and college cities. Before I get down to the business of explaining why Green Bay is the NFL's best sports city, let me clear up a couple of questions I anticipate are coming: 1. Yes, I grew up in the fine state of Wisconsin, and because my parents raised me right, it follows that I'm also a die-hard Packers fan. 2. No, I didn't pick Green Bay by myself; the editors and writers who produce our NFL coverage made the selection. I was asked to write about the NFL's Holy City because of my familiarity with it. On with the show. Most of my case for Green Bay is based on personal experience. Because to me, a lot of what separates Green Bay from the rest of the (ahem) pack, is the way the city embraces the team. Being a Packers fan isn't a choice in Green Bay; it's inherited. Heck, the whole state more or less embraces that mentality.

There's a reason scores of fans flock to Green Bay every summer, and it ain't Bay Beach Amusement Park. If you're a Packers fan, going to Green Bay truly is a pilgrimage. It sounds cliched unless you've made the trip yourself. When I was younger, that meant dragging my little brother along in the car on our family's "summer vacation," just so I could stand at the fence, Packers pennant in hand, and watch my gridiron heroes fielding punts. Years have passed since my last training camp trip, but I distinctly remember there being such an energy to the practices. This is the town's team, and the fans' love for the Pack somehow makes a special teams practice during camp seem like riveting entertainment. Kids with bikes eagerly awaiting the end of practice --- when you're 10, is there a bigger thrill than being able to say a 300-pound NFL linemen took a ride on your Schwinn? Dads talking to other dads as if they're family, arguing about which backup lineman should make the cut or which linebacker is hitting hardest. Scapegoats and underdogs picked on the basis of a single play and forever earning a spot in fans' hearts. (The first time my dad saw erstwhile Packers receiver Billy Schroeder drop a punt, he yelped, "Get that boy on a bus back to Sheboygan;" Schroeder never found his way out of my dad's doghouse.)

That's the stuff football is made of. And Packers fans aren't too cool to think that training camp doesn't matter; whenever the Packers are on the field, they're the only game in town. There's a reason Green Bay sells out its intrasquad scrimmage and has a whopping 74,500-plus people on the waiting list to get season tickets. Other towns have passionate followings, yes, but in Green Bay, the NFL is part of the city's pulse. I remember when my dad and I finally got to go to our first game at Lambeau a couple years ago, a Monday night matchup against the Vikings. The tickets were a surprise birthday gift for my dad; he was so giddy when he saw them that he was scared to drive because he didn't think he could focus. If you haven't been there, Lambeau Field is nestled in the middle of a nice, otherwise quiet town, with a scattering of "Go Packers" signs up in the yards. My dad and I were able to park on a little side street and, bundled up with long underwear and hats and scarves, made the walk to the field while enjoying the smell of tailgates and football in the air.

The feeling of history surrounds you at Lambeau. The statue of Lombardi. The chills I got walking through the Hall of Fame, seeing the old jerseys of retired greats and the Super Bowl trophies, hearing the audio from the Ice Bowl. There's a sense of wonderment to being in Green Bay, in a place that has loved its team so much for so long, a city where the people actually have ownership of the team. I remember exactly where I was the first time I glimpsed Lambeau Field from inside the stadium. I was standing outside a concession stand, looking through one of the openings ... and I got a little teary-eyed. Something hits you, actually being there. When being a Packers fan is in your blood, it's more than just a trip to a game. It's an honor to be there. We packed into the bleachers with our newest friends and family, who ignored the cold and cheered all game despite a rather mediocre performance by the Pack. No battery throws, not even much bad blood directed toward some nearby Vikings fans. Just reveling in a Monday night getting to see the team we love. I'm not saying you can't find plenty of passion for the NFL in other cities. But there's a wide-eyed magic to being in Green Bay that stays with you, from the time you're a gawky fifth-grader to a website editor eagerly awaiting her dad's next phone call with updates from camp. Go Packers!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEDNESDAY MORNING SESSION

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

We're No. 1: Favre and Green Bay

It's been a good day for the Packers across the Web. Quarterback Brett Favre is No. 1 on ESPN.com's list of the 50 active players most likely to make it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Believe it or not, linebacker A.J. Hawk is No. 49 on the list. However, cornerback Charles Woodson is on the short list of 10 good players who likely won't be enshrined in Canton. Green Bay is the No. 1 NFL city, according to The Sporting News. That story is written by Katie Koss, who freely admits she's a Packers fan who grew up in Wisconsin.

Morning minutiae

With Charles Woodson and Al Harris taking a veteran's morning off, the Packers' No. 1 cornerback pairing featured Patrick Dendy and -- Jarrett Bush? Yes, it was the second-year pro Bush, not Will Blackmon or Frank Walker, who got the nod with the starters all morning. Blackmon and Walker worked with the 2s.

Needless to say, the depth chart at cornerback is far from settled.

Elsewhere ...

-- Ten veterans got the morning off from practice, and 10 others sat out most drills. Other players working with the first team in the absence of veterans included Junius Coston (LT), Tony Moll (RT) and Michael Montgomery (DE).

-- First-round draft pick Justin Harrell and Johnny Jolly opened the first team period at defensive tackle. Corey Williams and Colin Cole were in to start the no-huddle period.

-- Rookie Clark Harris handled all long-snapping duties in Rob Davis' absence.

-- Fullback Brandon Miree participated in most drills, two days after sitting out with an Achilles' injury.

-- Practice was officiated by an NFL crew led by Gene Steratore.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not Martin's morning

Third-string QB Ingle Martin, working with the second unit in Brett Favre's absence, was brutal in team drills this morning. His unit emerged from the huddle twice in the initial period. Players returned to the huddle without running the play the first time, and Martin fumbled the snap on the second. Then, in the extended no-huddle, Martin misfired on seven of eight passes, his last an ill-advised jump pass into quadruple coverage. (He got one incompletion back because LB Spencer Havner was flagged for interference.) Martin finished the morning 3-for-9. Aaron Rodgers was a solid 12-for-15 leading the starters -- including 6-for-6 in his last no-huddle series. Rookie Paul Thompson was 1-for-1.

Morency out for 2-3 weeks; no other RBs being brought in

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said today he will not bring in any other running backs despite Vernand Morency's likely absence the next two to three weeks. Morency, in the lockerroom after practice, declined to discuss specifics about his injury or a timetable for his return. Coach Mike McCarthy, however, said Morency will miss two to three weeks with a knee injury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayner has edge over Crosby in kicking drill

Dave Rayner earned an edge over rookie Mason Crosby in an extended kicking drill this morning. Rayner made all 11 field goal attempts, while Crosby went nine for 11.

Rayner’s kicks came from 29, 29, 35, 35, 39, 43, 43, 48, 48, 51 and 51 yards.

Crosby missed wide right from 39 yards and wide left from 48 yards. His successful kicks were from 29, 29, 35, 35, 43, 43, 48, 51 and 51 yards.

John Ryan and Ruvell Martine alternated holding for the two kickers. Rookie Clark Harris did all of the long snapping for the drill in the absence of regular snapper Rob Davis.

Other veterans not in attendance

Several veterans were not in attendance at this morning’s 8:45 a.m. practice. The list included tackles Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, receivers Donald Driver and Robert Ferguson, defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris and tight end Bubba Franks. Coach McCarthy has instituted a policy this year in which selected veterans only participate in one practice during two-a-days. The Packers have a 6:30 p.m. practice today and it is presumed all the veterans will be in attendance for that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Favre not at morning practice

Practice is underway in shorts at Clarke Hinkle Field and quarterback Brett Favre is absent for the fourth straight practice. Favre was expected to return Wednesday night after flying to Mississippi for the funeral of his wife's stepfather. The reason for his delayed return was not immediately clear. Coach Mike McCarthy is scheduled to address the media about 10:30 a.m. Favre also scheduled to hold a press conference at 11:30 a.m. It will be the first time he speaks to the general media since training camp opened.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: WEDNESDAY MORNING SESSION

bozz_2006 said:
No. 1 cornerback pairing featured Patrick Dendy

ALERT THE PRESSES... AND TROMADZ!

I get the Patrick Dendy service on my phone, all news and updates directly to ME! I'm happy THE FUTURE is being looked upon so highly(with the vets off).

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
yeah dude, that's the story. Dendy's no. 1 (when nos. 1 & 2 are gone)!

which means he's #3, which is what he's battling for vs. those other shmucks.

thanks for the updates, tophat. it's appreciated.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN: CLAYTON'S TRAINING CAMP REVIEW

http://www.espn.com

Five observations from Green Bay Packers training camp, gleaned from the team's practices:

1. Jackson hoping to be a thriller
Brandon Jackson is an interesting choice at running back. He had a relatively unknown career at Nebraska and finished the season as a backup. Now he has a chance to get a starting job with a Packers team that lost Ahman Green through free agency. He's not tall and he doesn't have blazing speed, but he's a tough runner and a hard worker. During his first Packers practice, he had trouble catching the ball, dropping two. Vernand Morency is expected to be the starter, but he banged his shoulder at the start of camp and missed a few practices. Morency, according to coach Mike McCarthy, fits the Packers' zone blocking scheme because he's good at making one cut and going. What the team is missing, though, is the explosiveness at the position. That's where Green spoiled the Packers. On any given snap, he could break off a long touchdown run. Plus, he was a leader and one of the hardest workers on the team. Jackson can get to the outside, and when he does, can give a linebacker a hip move that might free him. What he appears to lack is the speed to break the long ones.

2. Reality bites

The Packers received a serious reality check when camp opened and Donald Driver couldn't pass his physical because of a shoulder injury. Though it is only a minor problem that was expected to keep him out only a few days, Driver showed the Packers just how potentially thin they would be at wide receiver. Driver, 32, is coming off a Pro Bowl season, but he suffered a minor separation to his shoulder late in 2006. The injury didn't heal up enough for him to pass the physical, so this could be a nagging injury all season. Without Driver, who is the team's No. 1 receiver and a personal favorite of Brett Favre, the offense could be in trouble. Greg Jennings looked like one of the best rookie receivers in football last season until he suffered a high ankle sprain that nagged him the final six weeks. Jennings still runs smooth routes, but he admitted he didn't recognize himself in the final weeks of the season when he looked at the game tapes. Robert Ferguson is still around, but he might not make the team. That would mean James Jones, the Packers' third-round choice, would have to step up as the third receiver. Jones uses his hands well and grabs balls out of the air instead of waiting for them to get to his body. Still, the Packers can't afford a serious injury to Driver.

3. Mr. Rodgers' neighborhood

This might not mean much, but word around Packers camp is Aaron Rodgers is ready to be a starting NFL quarterback. That doesn't mean much in Green Bay because Favre is the starting quarterback and he doesn't miss games. Rodgers looks comfortable behind center in practices, but that isn't new. He's looked that way in practices for the past three years. The key is managing the offense in game situations, and that's not happening while Favre is around. Rodgers has to make up the difference in the meeting room and on the scout teams. According to the coaches, Rodgers made the turn this offseason. He seems to be grasping the offense and executing it efficiently. He doesn't have the greatest arm strength, but he can make all of the throws. Should Favre retire after this season, McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson are convinced Rodgers could take over in 2008.

4. A former weakness is now a strength

A year ago, the offensive line was the team's biggest question mark. Now it's one of the team's strengths. In a move made out of desperation, the Packers developed three rookies along the interior of the offensive line last season. "I think there is a whole different mentality," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "Two years ago it was different; when the rookies came in, it was kind of patchwork. Now it's like we are building something together." The taller Daryn Colledge is the better pass-blocker, which is why he's at left guard. Jason Spitz is perhaps a better athlete and combines both skills at right guard, and Scott Wells established himself as a solid center. There has to be some long-term concerns at tackle, with Tauscher now 30 years old and left tackle Chad Clifton 31. Of course, there is so much youth on the Packers, the last thing they should worry about is age. This line should be together for two or three more years, which could put it among the best in the league if the players continue to grow together.

5. Who's the new guy?

Little attention would be given to cornerback Frank Walker on any other team. Walker's name is known here because he's the only acquisition (other than draft choices) to join the Packers this offseason. He looks like a solid third corner. Thompson has taken a lot of local and national criticism for doing so little outside of the draft, but the logic is simple: He believes in building through the draft. "People say I don't like free agency, but I like it fine," Thompson said. "I think it's a decent tool, but just to go sign a guy if you don't think he's better than the guy you have just because of name recognition doesn't make any sense." His roster still includes 28 of the 31 draft choices he's selected since taking charge in 2005. Six are now starters, with linebacker A.J. Hawk being the one with Pro Bowl potential.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings isn't pro bowl potential? (number 5 on the list)

oh ESPN, how you make me giggle.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATED: AP NEWS ARTICLE ABOUT BRET FAVRE PRESS CONFERENCE.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEDESDAY EVENING SESSION

http://www.packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=reply&t=11410

Evening wrap-up

Looks like our updates during practice covered just about everything, but here's a few late updates:

-- Trainers wrapped QB Brett Favre's throwing hand after practice, apparently because of a cut suffered while he was home in Mississippi this week. Coach Mike McCarthy provided no further details but said the injury was nothing serious.

-- McCarthy said he's hopeful TE Bubba Franks, scratched in the eye Tuesday night, will return to practice Friday. An examination today revealed the eye is about 90 percent recovered, McCarthy said.

-- CB Antonio Malone sat out practice after the knee he injured this spring in NFL Europa swelled up. His status isn't certain, but he's a long shot to make the roster regardless.

-- CB Jarrett Bush worked alongside Al Harris and Patrick Dendy in nickel tonight when Charles Woodson sat out the final drill. If today is any indication, Bush has passed Will Blackmon and Frank Walker for fourth on the depth chart at cornerback.

-- The night practice was the longest of camp, running more than 2 hours and 40 minutes. It concluded with a gong show of a place-kicking drill that ended prematurely because Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby both were drenched in water.

-- And your passing stats (7-on-7 in parentheses): Favre 21-for-29 (9-for-10); Aaron Rodgers 15-for-22 (7-for-8); Ingle Martin 7-for-11 (4-for-5); and Brandon Jackson 0-for-1.

Friday's practice begins at 2 p.m.

Harrell does OK in drill

First-round draft choice Justin Harrell was OK but nothing special in one-on-one pass rush drills. Harrell didn't beat anybody badly enough to get a sure sack, but he did get decent push on two of his three repetitions. In two reps against guard Travis Leffew, Harrell was able to get decent penetration. But on a third rep against guard Adam Stenavich, Harrell was essentially stopped.

Practice observations

Various observations from tonight's practice:

— Corey Williams and Colin Cole lined up with the No. 1 defense at tackle.
Brett Favre found his tight end on two different occasions for long gainers. In the team blitz drill, Favre had a nice completion downfield to Zac Alcorn. Later in the seven-on-seven drill, Favre connected with rookie Clark Harris over the middle.
— The Packers running backs looked improved in the blitz pickup drill.

Kickers boom 50-yarders
In a game situation drill, the Packers ran one play from scrimmage and went into a kicking situation. The three resulting special teams plays included: Dave Rayner converting on a 51-yard field goal, Jon Ryan punting 34 yards and having the ball downed on the 6 yard line, and rookie Mason Crosby converting on a 52-yard field goal.
Ryan proceeded to participate in a live punting drill. Five of his punts had 4.4 seconds of hangtime with bests of 4.62 and 4.59. Five of his punts were under 4.0 seconds of hangtime, with a worst of 2.97. Ryan tended to shank kicks when he was aiming to the left, but when he aimed right or down the middle he got more height and distance on his punts. Ryan is currently the only punter on the active roster after David Lonie was placed on injured reserve earlier this week.

Franks sits out full-scale drills

The only player absent from tonight's practice was tight end Tory Humphrey, who is likely out for the year with a broken ankle. Dressed in shorts and not participating in full-scale drills were tight end Bubba Franks, linebacker Rory Johnson, linebacker Juwan Simpson and running back Vernand Morency. Franks was hit in the head on Tuesday and might be suffering the effects of that injury, although the Packers have not provided details on his absence.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thursday Sessions Review

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/PKR01/708030508/1989

Insider: Favre, QBs beat the blitz

Thumbs up

Two nights earlier, the blitz period turned into an assault on the quarterbacks. That was a continuation of what had been a sloppy drill from the offense's standpoint throughout the early days of training camp. On Thursday night, the quarterbacks got out alive, and the offense was able to function against the blitz. In 13 plays during the team (11-on-11) blitz period, the defense never recorded a sack, and no blitzing linebackers were able to run free. It helped that Brett Favre was back running the No. 1 offense. In Favre's heyday, he was brilliant at reading blitzes and finding the hot receiver. He did so again Thursday, firing the ball quickly and completing 4-of-7 passes. He should have had at least one more completion, but receiver Greg Jennings dropped one on the final play. Nevertheless, Favre and the offense looked sharp by taking advantage of one-on-one matchups in the secondary. He hit a wide-open Jennings on a crossing route, found rookie tight end Clark Harris over the middle, threw a deep ball to tight end Zac Alcorn (who made a difficult, over-the-shoulder catch) and tossed an easy swing pass to running back Brandon Jackson. Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers was 2-for-2 passing during the blitz drill.

Thumbs down

Every so often, there's a player in training camp who looks like he has no business wearing an NFL uniform. The Packers have one this year: rookie offensive lineman Pat Murray....

Did you notice?

It wasn't a good showing on Thursday evening for three of the players vying for the No. 3 cornerback position. On consecutive plays during a one-on-one period, Patrick Dendy was called for pass interference against David Clowney, Frank Walker gave up a slant to Ruvell Martin and Will Blackmon was beat on the same route by Robert Ferguson. Later in the drill, Martin beat Walker on a post-corner route and Clowney beat Blackmon deep. The only backup cornerback who had a strong showing was second-year pro Jarrett Bush. The offense converted just 5-of-16 plays of various distances during a third-down period.

After an extensive field goal session during the morning practice in which Dave Rayner went 11-for-11 and Mason Crosby 9-for-11, they each got only one kick during team drills in the night session. In a game-situation period, Rayner made a 51-yard field goal and Crosby hit a 52-yarder. Rookie running back Corey White, who had been productive early in camp, had a rough go during the night practice. He fumbled during a team period that emphasized running plays and got stuffed for no gain on a run during the blitz period. Only five players missed the night practice: running back Vernand Morency, linebacker Juwan Simpson, tight end Tory Humphrey, tight end Bubba Franks and linebacker Rory Johnson.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/PKR01/708030502/1989

Notebook: All vets but Franks return to practice

Ten veterans were excused and at least nine players sat out most drills in Thursday's morning practice, leaving the Packers with about three-fourths of a roster. Coach Mike McCarthy said it's the only time he plans to excuse any veterans during training camp. They had two days off last year, but next Thursday's early practice will be dedicated to game-planning for the preseason opener two days later at Pittsburgh. "A few guys were disappointed that they weren't on the (excused) list," McCarthy said. "It's not based on their status on the football team. It's clearly based on how many years (six or more) they played in. It's where their bodies are at in their career." All the veterans except tight end Bubba Franks practiced in the night session. Franks, on a one-a-day practice schedule because of a troublesome knee, was scratched in the eye during a team drill Tuesday night. An exam Thursday showed the injury is 90 percent healed, McCarthy said, and the team hopes he'll practice today.

Favre in action

Quarterback Brett Favre appeared relatively sharp after missing the previous five practices because of the death of his wife's stepfather. He completed 12 of 19 passes with no interceptions during team (11-on-11) drills despite a cut on his throwing hand that required attention from trainers late in practice. "It's not bad," McCarthy said of the cut, declining to discuss details.

Gotta be the shoes

Fullback Brandon Miree believes he's pinpointed the cause of the sore Achilles' tendon in his left foot: New cleats. "It was just some friction," said Miree, who was back to an old pair for morning practice. Sixth-round draft pick Korey Hall took the majority of snaps at fullback with the No. 1 offense while Miree sat out most of Tuesday's practices. Miree was back with the starters Thursday morning and appeared to be running fine after catching a pass in the flat during the night session.

Odds and ends

General Manager Ted Thompson said he anticipates signing another punter soon to ease the load on incumbent Jon Ryan. The team placed David Lonie on injured reserve Tuesday because of an ankle injury. … An NFL crew led by referee Gene Steratore arrived in time for the morning practice and will stay through Saturday's Family Night scrimmage. … The scrimmage will be the Packers' first action at Lambeau Field since the playing surface was replaced during the offseason. "Our players seem to like it. The footing is really good, and the field looks really good," Thompson said. … Jarrett Bush worked with Patrick Dendy as the No. 1 cornerback pairing in the morning and continued to practice ahead of Will Blackmon and Frank Walker in the evening....Night practice ended with a spirited place-kicking session. McCarthy cut it short because players were dumping too much water on Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Thursday Sessions Review

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=642054

Thursday camp report

THUMBS UP

James Campen, the new head offensive line coach, has more players playing more positions than any of his predecessors ever did. One of the few constants has been Orrin Thompson, who has worked exclusively at left tackle. On Thursday night, Thompson continued his effectiveness in the 1-on-1 pass protection drill....

THUMBS DOWN

...On Thursday morning, the rookie free agent Birdine barely made it through one of defensive line coach Nunn's taxing individual periods. Then Birdine barely made it off the field before collapsing on all fours only 2 or 3 yards out of bounds during a team period. After several minutes, defensive end coach Carl Hairston inconspicuously came over to Birdine, leaned down and gave him a quick, sharp piece of his mind. Other players were snickering as one of the trainers stretched out Birdine, trying to get him up....Birdine was back practicing at night but he almost needn't have bothered. After that embarrassing episode, his career in Green Bay won't have long to last.

INJURY REPORT

TE Bubba Franks missed Thursday after getting scratched in the eye 48 hours earlier. The Packers would like him to return today with a shield attached to his helmet, but a new rule for '07 stipulates that teams must get permission from the league on medical grounds in order to use the shield. CB Antonio Malone (knee swelling) dropped out Tuesday night. Returning to practice were G Allen Barbre (hamstring), FB Brandon Miree (Achilles' tendon) and DT Daniel Muir (ankle).

ODDS AND ENDS

It has been hot in Green Bay, with temperatures near 90 degrees. Yet there hasn't been a single fight, not even a shoving match, in the first nine practices. Brandon Jackson threw short and incomplete on a halfback option pass, leaving him 1 for 3 this summer....Ruvell Martin capped off a big day, beating CB Frank Walker on a post-corner route for a long TD. Fumbles had been almost non-existent in camp before QB Ingle Martin bobbled a perfect shotgun snap at night. Brett Favre returned for the night session after missing five practices to attend the funeral of his wife's stepfather. Favre showed off his fresh legs on a pair of scrambles that drew cheers from the crowd.

[align=center]SCHEDULE TODAY
Practice in pads at 2 p.m
.[/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts