Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Training Camp Reports

Jackson is also going to spend a lot more time going out for passes than pass blocking.

IDK, I think pass pro. is one of the most important responsibilities of a #1 RB. Don't think guys like Takeo Spikes, Shawn Merriman, Matthias Kiwanuka, (whom Bjack will see in weeks 1-3) will ease up on ol #4 after a highlight-reel blowup of a rook RB trying to slow them down.

BJack needs to get his protection nailed down, or it could be trouble for Big Brett.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Local Green Bay news is reporting the Morency's knee is worse than orginally thought, might be out most if not all of training camp. Not a great way to start the RB battle.

And Jsonline's blog had this..

Green Bay Packers running back Vernand Morency will miss "a couple of weeks" of training camp with a knee injury, coach Mike McCarthy said this afternoon.

McCarthy declined to elaborate on the injury that Morency suffered in the Packers' first practice Saturday. Yesterday, it was described as a bruised knee.

"It's a little more serious than we thought," McCarthy said today.

Morency opened camp as the de facto starter at running back, with rookie Brandon Jackson, practice squad pickup P.J. Pope and veteran Noah Herron behind him.

Last season, Morency gained 421 yards in 96 carries (4.6-yard average) backing up Ahman Green, who signed in the off-season with Houston. He missed two games with a lower back injury.

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

I just read about Morency being out for two weeks. :doh:

This is worrying. B-Jack, now is your time to shine (and for the love of all that is holy, not get injured).

On the bright side, we have Gregorious Jennings still active (knock on wood). I'm sure he'd still reek of awesomeness if he had to play as an emergency RB. :D

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

Local Green Bay news is reporting the Morency's knee is worse than orginally thought, might be out most if not all of training camp. Not a great way to start the RB battle.

And Jsonline's blog had this..

Green Bay Packers running back Vernand Morency will miss "a couple of weeks" of training camp with a knee injury, coach Mike McCarthy said this afternoon.

McCarthy declined to elaborate on the injury that Morency suffered in the Packers' first practice Saturday. Yesterday, it was described as a bruised knee.

"It's a little more serious than we thought," McCarthy said today.

Morency opened camp as the de facto starter at running back, with rookie Brandon Jackson, practice squad pickup P.J. Pope and veteran Noah Herron behind him.

Last season, Morency gained 421 yards in 96 carries (4.6-yard average) backing up Ahman Green, who signed in the off-season with Houston. He missed two games with a lower back injury.

Fuuuuuck. My nightmares are ALREADY coming true. I have a feeling this won't be the last we hear about our running back injury woes . .

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For Trom...

"During back-to-back drills -- the first a team drill and the second a blitz drill -- rookie receiver James Jones caught four passes, including beating nickelback Patrick Dendy on a deep in-route," reports Pete Dougherty of the Press-Gazette.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MONDAY SESSION FINAL

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/7/31/15941/4291

The real concern at this point regarding RB Vernand Morency's injured knee is that it is all a little vague. Mike McCarthy didn't really want to talk about it. Maybe there is some swelling and maybe there is something torn. Right now it appears to be a problem, but hopefully it isn't one. Until Morency returns, it gives more reps to RBs Brandon Jackson, who needs it, and P.J. Pope, who still seems like the least likely candidate to make the team. Since it is early in training camp, rookie free agent FB Corey White is getting some chances there too. White was brought in to compete at fullback but admitted he hasn't played there at all. Maybe he has no shot at beating out FBs Brandon Miree, Korey Hall, or Ryan Powdrell. It really sounds like 7th round RB DeShawn Wynn got hit with a stomach virus at really the wrong time, just as training camp was about to start. Hopefully he gets the opportunity to show whether he has potential or not. The Packers are only going to keep three running backs active and a fourth back on the practice squad. White says the team is looking for a grinder to compliment Morency and Jackson. Usually the team's third running back is a 3rd down receiving back, someone like RB Noah Herron, but maybe they want someone like Pope, White, or Wynn to emerge as a short yardage back to keep instead. Only Detroit threw more than the pass happy Packers did in 2006, so it would seem unlikely that they would keep any bruising running back who can't be a good receiver too.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For Trom...

"During back-to-back drills -- the first a team drill and the second a blitz drill -- rookie receiver James Jones caught four passes, including beating nickelback Patrick Dendy on a deep in-route," reports Pete Dougherty of the Press-Gazette.

That is so like Patrick to let Jones get a catch against him to boost his ego. What an awesome teammate.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's good news that Pickett and Jolly will now get to practice. Also glad to see Hodge back in there. I must say that so far Hodge is my biggest disappointment from last year's picks. But that's on me because I set too high goals for him. With his lack of speed, I'm afraid it'll take injuries in the corps. for him to get playing time. Coverage is SO important now. Thankfully, Hawk is doing better all the time in his coverage. Popp will improve there too. It also sounds as if even the TEs are getting better, if even for one day.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Sounds like most are playing like ****... yipee... and lets see mccarthy/s daughter! lol isnt she like 15?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sounds like most are playing like ****... yipee... and lets see mccarthy/s daughter! lol isnt she like 15?

lol there is a picture of her somewhere in some thread in the Atrium, happy hunting :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

It's not good to start training camp with injuries at the two most unsettled positions (RB and TE) on the team, but if Morency's injury really only keeps him out for 2-3 weeks, it won't be a big deal in the long run.

Losing Tory Humphrey for possibly the whole season is a bit more serious, but then, he couldn't even make the game day roster all last season, and is he really much better than, say, Zac Alcorn?

The injuries that really scare me are the major ones involving really good players, and so far there have not been any of those.

Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Good news:

Both John Jolly and Ryan Pickett passed their physicals yesterday, and should practice today. (According to Ryan Pickett's interview on Packers.com)

That would only leave Driver, and he retook his physical yesterday (according to Coach McCarthy). Hopefully, today we find out that he passed.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY SCHEDULES

[align=left]TODAY'S SCHEDULE.[/align]

Today's training Camp Information July 31, 2007
8:45 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.

Clarke Hinkle Field Event Information
• 8:45 a.m. - shells
• 6:30 p.m. - full pads

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEDNESDAY: BIG EVENING DAY NFL NETWORK EVENT

The Packers July 31st practice at City Stadium, the home of the Packers from 1926-1956, will be broadcast on the NFL Network on Wednesday, August 1st at 7pm CT.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Training Camp Reports

Hmmm, Morency is injured, Larry Johnson is holding out. I wonder how cheaply the Pack could get him. It would not surprise me one bit.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Hmmm, Morency is injured, Larry Johnson is holding out. I wonder how cheaply the Pack could get him. It would not surprise me one bit.

I'd be extremely surprised. I'm completely sold on the theory that (and i dont necessarily disagree with) Ted believes offensive players can be grown from within easier than defensive players. Hence, why he went out and paid higher bucks for FA on the defensive side of the ball instead of the offensive side. However, many neglect this known train of thought for the more naive one that Ted simply is avoiding signing big name FA on the offensive side of the ball to force Brett into retirement.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

vike4life said:

I'd be extremely surprised. I'm completely sold on the theory that (and i dont necessarily disagree with) Ted believes offensive players can be grown from within easier than defensive players. Hence, why he went out and paid higher bucks for FA on the defensive side of the ball instead of the offensive side. However, many neglect this known train of thought for the more naive one that Ted simply is avoiding signing big name FA on the offensive side of the ball to force Brett into retirement.

You are probably correct Zero. What if Kansas City does not want to spend the money that LJ is wanting? What if he can be had for a 2nd round pick? Purely speculation, but if they cannot sign him I am sure they would want to get something out of him. :thumbsup:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
vike4life said:

You are probably correct Zero. What if Kansas City does not want to spend the money that LJ is wanting? What if he can be had for a 2nd round pick? Purely speculation, but if they cannot sign him I am sure they would want to get something out of him. :thumbsup:

Honestly, I don't think Ted would go for that. I read we have nearly $15 million under the cap yet and I just don't see Ted giving up a prized 2nd rounder for a guy who would be questionable in our zone scheme. Me? I'd do it. I'd probably try to give a 2nd if I got a 5th in return. I think it would give the team a helluva spark if not a better running game at the very least.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackOne said:
For Trom...

That is so like Patrick to let Jones get a catch against him to boost his ego. What an awesome teammate.

Funny stuff.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY MORNING SESSION

More morning notes

Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly worked as the No. 2 defensive tackle pairing in their first practice of training camp. Colin Cole and Corey Williams continued to work with the starters. First-round draft pick Justin Harrell, who has struggled in the heat, played sparingly during team drills.

-- The Packers opened practice in shorts before switching to soft shells after extended position work.

-- Junius Coston got most of the work at left tackle with Chad Clifton sitting out as part of his one-a-day schedule. However, a false start on fourth down during situational work prompted coaches to replace Coston with Orrin Thompson.

-- Tony Moll replaced Mark Tauscher at right tackle with the starting offense for parts of team work.

-- Rookie Korey Hall, a converted linebacker and one of the Packers' three sixth-round draft picks, took the first rep at fullback with the No. 1 offense after Brandon Miree dropped out.

-- Shaun Bodiford and Ryan Powdrell took the first rep on kick returns.

Practice tonight is at City Stadium, next to Green Bay East High School. It's scheduled to run from 6:30 p.m. to about 9, so we'll have more updates then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring in the noise

The Packers pumped crowd noise through speakers during situational team drills this morning at Clarke Hinkle Field. It had little impact on quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers, Ingle Martin and Paul Thompson, who were a combined 18-for-26 over two periods.

Highlights included:

-- Two great catches by rookie receiver James Jones. First, he elevated over Patrick Dendy for a ball from Aaron Rodgers in the front right corner of the end zone. Then, he fully extended to haul in a high Paul Thompson pass near the back of the end zone.

-- Donald Driver's first two receptions in team portions of camp: a sprawling grab on the sixth play of the second team period, and a wide-open grab in the end zone off a throw from Brandon Jackson.

-- A crisp, 8-for-11 performance from Ingle Martin, who ran the second unit. He got help from athletic catches by Donald Lee, Ruvell Martin and Zac Alcorn.

-- An across-the-body strike to David Clowney from Thompson, who recovered after bobbling the shotgun snap.

Rodgers finished 5-for-8, Thompson 5-for-7 and Jackson 1-for-1.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Driver, Pickett, Jolly finish first practice of 2007

Today's training camp practice ended at 10:31 a.m., and Donald Driver, Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly all finished their first practice of the 2007 camp. Among players who did not finish was fullback Brandon Miree. Also sitting out were Allen Barbre (hamstring) and Daniel Muir (ankle). Running back Vernand Morency watched practice from the sideline with ice on his knee. Quarterback Brett Favre missed his second straight practice because of the death of his wife, Deanna's, stepfather. He is expected to return for Thursday's morning practice. Six players on a one-a-day schedule -- Chad Clifton, Aaron Kampman, Bubba Franks, Marviel Underwood, Robert Ferguson and Abdul Hodge -- sat out practice as expected.

Packers start the day in shorts

The Packers are practicing in shorts on this warm morning at Clarke Hinkle Field. Though it's difficult to tell who's fully participating, wide receiver Donald Driver and defensive tackles Ryan Pickett and Johnny Jolly are taking part in the walkthrough portion of practice. Driver is back after passing his physical on Sunday night. Pickett and Jolly are back after passing conditioning tests on Monday. All three were held out until doing so. Among those not participating is backup punter David Lonie, who is on crutches with an air cast on his injured left ankle. Temperatures were in the high 70s as practice started, and were expected to rise to 92 by this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.