Official Training Camp Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Some other odds and ends..

http://pu2006.typepad.com/ Check out the link for more information.

Amidst the media’s hysteria over wide receiver James Jones’ impressive first week of training camp, the encouraging work of some other young players will inevitably get overlooked. Take Michael Montgomery, for example. The third-year defensive end showed real potential as a rookie, but he struggled with nagging injuries last season. Now fully healthy - and about 15 pounds heavier - the former Texas A&M star looks better than ever. “Montgomery’s not flashy, but he’s pretty solid against the run and he’s tenacious as heck,” said a former scout. “What more could any team want in a fourth defensive end?” If the 23-year-old continues to play well, he’ll likely be used for 15 to 20 snaps a game during the regular season. That would give starters Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins a chance to catch their breath, and it would also allow Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila to be used almost exclusively as a designated pass rusher.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this offseason. Sounds like the team, esp the o-line, is shaping up to be a solid, relatively deep team with good chemistry.

A couple thoughts on the latest updates:

-No fights yet? See, this is where we start to miss Ahmad Carroll's contributions.... :twisted:

-O-line lookin sharp, and John Clayton projecting it to be one of the best....no surprise there! :thumbsup:

-Love the story about the placekicking contest. Except for MM being the wussy coach and stopping it because they got too wet?!? lol,WTF?!?! Can NFL kickers take anything, or are they the absolute girliest men on any playing surface?

-More than anything else so far this TC, I've been really worried about our starting RB's and thier ability to pick up blitzers. Good to hear that they're finally making some headway.

And again, thanks to everyone for the updates, you're saving my life. :thumbsup: Thanks Tophat, Pack93z, and everyone else. You guys rock!!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Is there only going to be one practice today?

[align=center]SCHEDULE TODAY
Practice in pads at 2 p.m.
[/align]

Pack93z

Reaction score
Jackson Struggling, Signing a punter.. other notes

A few more notes of interest...

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

RB Jackson continues to struggle
In a one-on-one linebacker blitz pass-protection drill, rookie running back Brandon Jackson was beaten on successive plays by Juwan Simpson and Nick Barnett. Jackson has struggled in pass protection for most of training camp.

Fullback Ryan Powdrell also was beaten on back-to-back plays by Desmond Bishop and Brady Poppinga, who flung Powdrell down like a ragdoll.

Tim Goodwell steamrolled rookie fullback Corey White. Simpson made a nice juke move to get around Noah Herron.

-- Mike Vandermause, [email protected]
posted by PackersNews.com at 3:31 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Packers sign punter out of East Carolina
Punter Jon Ryan has some competition. The Packers signed Ryan Dougherty, who was wearing No. 8 at practice today. The team did not immediately release further details about Dougherty.

Dougherty, an undrafted rookie free agent out of East Carolina University, is 6 feet 2, 225 pounds, according to the college's Web site.

Ryan responded to the challenge by booming a 75-yard punt into the end zone with 5.12 seconds of hang time, which is excellent. The punt carried 69 yards in the air before bouncing into the end zone.

Ryan also had a 60-yarder, also with 5.11 seconds of hang time.

He also shanked two punts out of bounds -- they roughly carried about 35 yards each.

Dougherty's longest punt was 53 yards, which he did twice. His hang time ranged from 3.69 seconds to 4.81 seconds.

-- Mike Vandermause, [email protected], and Rob Demovsky, [email protected]
posted by PackersNews.com at 2:52 PM | 0 Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only TEs Werner, Lee in uniform today
The Packers are down to two tight ends for today's practice because Bubba Franks, Clark Harris and Zac Alcorn all are not in uniform.

The Packers lost Tory Humphrey indefinitely on the first day of camp after he broke a bone in his lower leg.

Franks is out for the second straight day after being scratched in the eye Tuesday night. Harris and Alcorn have not sat out previously and it was not immediately clear why they’re sidelined.

Making matters worse is that one of the Packers tight ends who is uniform is Joe Werner, who was signed earlier this week and hasn't played football since high school. The other tight end in uniform is Donald Lee.

Also sitting out are linebacker Rory Johnson, cornerback Antonio Malone and running back Vernand Morency.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Jackson Struggling, Signing a punter.. other notes

In a one-on-one linebacker blitz pass-protection drill, rookie running back Brandon Jackson was beaten on successive plays by Juwan Simpson and Nick Barnett. Jackson has struggled in pass protection for most of training camp.

uh oh

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know if Jackson sucks at pass blocking or if Hawk,barnett,etc are just awesome.

a LOT will be told in preseason. I cant wait.

and thanks for the updates.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know if Jackson sucks at pass blocking or if Hawk,barnett,etc are just awesome.

BOTH. As Johnny Grey said, it is gonna take time.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Friday Session: Continued

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Today's late update
Stuff that might not make the print edition ...

-- We're still in a fight-free camp, but defensive end Cullen Jenkins got physical with Brandon Jackson during the final special-category period, shoving the rookie running back after a play.

-- Speaking of Jenkins, he sent rookie tight end Joe Werner airborne when Werner tried to block him on a Noah Herron run during team drills.

-- Werner, the former UW-La Crosse basketball star who hasn't played football since high school, provided my favorite scene of camp so far. He emerged from a huddle with the first-team offense and wasn't sure where to go. He turned and looked at quarterback Brett Favre, who made two jabbing motions with his hand, giving Werner a sandlot-style route. Surprise, surprise, Favre didn't throw him the ball.

-- Shaun Bodiford and Ryan Powdrell continue to line up as the top kick return pairing. The rest of the first unit today consisted of: Jarrett Bush, Jason Hunter, Tracy White, Brady Poppinga, Robert Ferguson, Michael Montgomery, Johnny Jolly, Allen Barbre and Korey Hall.

-- The first- and second-team offenses had false starts in the final period. Barbre, the fourth-round pick, was removed from the drill after the second.

-- Practice ended after almost exactly two-and-a-half hours, at 4:29 p.m.

-- Passing stats, better than normal on a day with a lot of throws to running backs (7-on-7 in parentheses): Brett Favre 18-for-26 (9-for-11); Aaron Rodgers 14-for-15 (9-for-9); Ingle Martin 3-for-6 (1-for-3); Paul Thompson 1-for-1 (1-for-1).

More 1-on-1 fun

Today's wrestling-style roundup of the 1-on-1 passing period, with offensive players in caps. Also, a round of applause for Patrick Dendy, who broke out of his 0-for-4 slump --when Ruvell Martin couldn't handle a fade pass. (Donald Driver got the better of Dendy a couple minutes later.)

ROBERT FERGUSON def. Charles Woodson
Patrick Dendy def. RUVELL MARTIN
Frank Walker def. CARLTON BREWSTER
DONALD DRIVER def. Al Harris
JAMES JONES def. Jarrett Bush
Will Blackmon def. DAVID CLOWNEY
CARLYLE HOLIDAY def. Tyrone Culver
Tramon Williams def. CALVIN RUSSELL
MARTIN def. Aaron Rouse*
FERGUSON def. Walker
Charlie Peprah def. CLOWNEY*
JONES def. Atari Bigby*
Harris def. MARTIN
BREWSTER def. Marquand Manuel
DRIVER def. Dendy
*Major decision

TE Humphrey placed on injured reserve

Tight end Tory Humphrey has been placed on injured reserve, ending his season. Humphrey broke a bone in his lower leg in the first practice of training camp Saturday.

Coach Mike McCarthy said after practice that he hopes tight ends Clark Harris and Zac Alcorn, who sat out practice today, will be ready for Saturday's Family Night scrimmage.

Harris has a sprained ankle and Alcorn has a problem with blisters on his feet.

The status of tight end Bubba Franks is less certain because his scratched eye, sustained in Tuesday's practice at City Stadium, is not healing as quickly as expected, McCarthy said.

One last injury note: Cornerback Antonio Malone remains day to day after his left knee injured in NFL Europe swelled this week.

DT Jolly has bad day in pass rush drill

Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly jumped offsides three times in a one-on-one pass rush drill today. When he finally did get off the line on time, he couldn't beat guard Tyson Walter. Jolly finally beat guard Pat Murray in his final rep.

More kicking, red-zone drills

Mason Crosby converted 3 of 5 field-goal attempts during a kicking drill today, while Dave Rayner made 3 of 6 attempts.

Crosby was 2 of 2 from 34 yards, 1 of 2 from 41 yards, with the miss going wide right, and 0 for 1 from 44 yards, with the miss going wide right.

Rayner was 1 for 2 from 34 yards, with the miss going wide left, 2 for 3 from 41 yards, with the first kick getting blocked. He also was 0 for 1 from 44 yards, with the miss going wide left.

During a red zone drill, quarterback Brett Favre hit receiver Greg Jennings on a post route against cornerback Al Harris for a touchdown in the back of the end zone. In a red-zone run drill, rookie DeShawyn Wynn had a 7-yard touchdown run and P.J. Pope had a 5-yard touchdown run.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting that Crosby missed both of his kicks wide right, and Rayner missed both of his wide left. Maybe it's an indication that Rayner is trying to kick the crap out of the ball, and Crosby still has a little to give? I haven't kicked a football in a while, but from what I remember I was more likely to hook the ball(left) when I was really trying to smash it, and when I'd miss right it would be more when I was trying to place the ball. It probably means absolutely nothing though in Crosby and Rayner's cases. Just a concidence probably.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure he just sucks at it. He's really struggling at it and it will definitely take a lot of time for him to get better at it.

You know what though. If he can run the ball hard and replace Ahman Green people will constantly overlook this flaw in his game and they won't be complain. So he should continue to work at it but I don't want this to kill his confidence when it comes to running the ball.

I’m pretty sure when Ahman Green signed with the Texans people weren’t saying “Now how are the Pack going to replace Ahman’s ability to pickup the blitz.” We all know it was leadership and big play ability that Ahman brought to the team and ultimately Jackson needs to be a big play guy.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

I'm pretty sure he just sucks at it. He's really struggling at it and it will definitely take a lot of time for him to get better at it.

You know what though. If he can run the ball hard and replace Ahman Green people will constantly overlook this flaw in his game and they won't be complain. So he should continue to work at it but I don't want this to kill his confidence when it comes to running the ball.

I’m pretty sure when Ahman Green signed with the Texans people weren’t saying “Now how are the Pack going to replace Ahman’s ability to pickup the blitz.” We all know it was leadership and big play ability that Ahman brought to the team and ultimately Jackson needs to be a big play guy.

From a strategic standpoint, it can be a big giveaway. If B-Jack is in, its 95% likely to be a run, or passing route with him not blocking, and defenses will be all over that.

And...you can't have that. He better step up, or we'll be seeing a lot more of herron than expected.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kind of interesting that Crosby missed both of his kicks wide right, and Rayner missed both of his wide left. Maybe it's an indication that Rayner is trying to kick the crap out of the ball, and Crosby still has a little to give? I haven't kicked a football in a while, but from what I remember I was more likely to hook the ball(left) when I was really trying to smash it, and when I'd miss right it would be more when I was trying to place the ball. It probably means absolutely nothing though in Crosby and Rayner's cases. Just a concidence probably.

Fuse the two together and it'll be right down the middle everytime!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First, if Jackson misses a block on a blitzing linebacker and it leads to a career ending injury to Brett Favre, I doubt if people will overlook that fact and I think there's a good chance they'll complain. As to the loss of Green (and Henderson), some of us have expressed our concerns over the loss of their blocking abilities.

Hopefully the blocking of the RBs will improve. If not, we may be seeing quite a bit of Ingle Martin this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

First, if Jackson misses a block on a blitzing linebacker and it leads to a career ending injury to Brett Favre, I doubt if people will overlook that fact and I think there's a good chance they'll complain. As to the loss of Green (and Henderson), some of us have expressed our concerns over the loss of their blocking abilities.

Hopefully the blocking of the RBs will improve. If not, we may be seeing quite a bit of Ingle Martin this year.

Agreed. The thing is, isn't Herron going to be our 3rd down back? I don't remember if he was a good blocker or not. Someone please enlighten me here.

Reaction score

McCarthy said that B-Jack is willing to block, and he has the ability to block, it's just the mental part of his game that needs work.

McCarthy also added that the protection assignments that B-Jack has to learn are different from those that he had in Nebraska. McCarthy believes he'll be alright with time, which is really good to hear.

I have confidence that McCarthy will find a way to hide B-Jack's pass blocking problems, if B-Jack has to play a lot and doesn't improve that aspect of his game.

McCarthy made it his priority to protect the QB last year with a weak line, and he did it well given what he had to work with. I don't doubt his ability to adjust to the situation if B-Jack is the starting RB, with bad blitz pick up skills.

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:

McCarthy said that B-Jack is willing to block, and he has the ability to block, it's just the mental part of his game that needs work.

McCarthy also added that the protection assignments that B-Jack has to learn are different from those that he had in Nebraska. McCarthy believes he'll be alright with time, which is really good to hear.

I have confidence that McCarthy will find a way to hide B-Jack's pass blocking problems, if B-Jack has to play a lot and doesn't improve that aspect of his game.

McCarthy made it his priority to protect the QB last year with a weak line, and he did it well given what he had to work with. I don't doubt his ability to adjust to the situation if B-Jack is the starting RB, with bad blitz pick up skills.

That is the problem, with all the coverage that this aspect of Jacksons game is getting, you can be sure that other teams will know about it. The newspapers are doing some of the scouting work for other teams. Yes he will improve at it, but y guess is that it will take time. Our starting FB struggled in blitz pickup last year two. To me, that was a huge concern for me going with young backs.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAY 7 REPORTS: ROSTER BATTLES

http:www.packersnews.com

Notebook: Injuries decimate tight end position

The Packers were down to only two healthy tight ends in practice Friday, including newly signed rookie Joe Werner, who played basketball in college. With Bubba Franks (eye), Zac Alcorn (blisters) and Clark Harris (sprained ankle) sidelined for Friday's lone practice, Werner and Donald Lee were the only healthy tight ends. Because of the shortage, coach Mike McCarthy shortened a red-zone period at the end of practice and instead did extra place-kicking. McCarthy said Alcorn and Harris appear to have a decent shot at playing in tonight's Family Night scrimmage at Lambeau Field, but it's less likely Franks will participate. "We're going to do what we have to do," McCarthy said of the possibility of having only two tight ends tonight. "We need the work. The football team needs the work, so if we go four wideouts all day, we'll go four wideouts all day. We'll get the work in."

The Packers signed Werner this week to replace Tory Humphrey, whom they put on injured reserve Friday because of a broken lower leg. Humphrey had surgery this week...."It's just like anything, the more you see it, the more you pick it up." Franks was poked in the eye during practice Tuesday night, and though the scratch is almost healed, he's having trouble seeing. "My pupil is inflamed, so that's why I can't see out of it," he said. "I mean, you can't catch the ball if you can't see it."

First tackles will come tonight

For the first time in training camp, the Packers will have live tackling tonight. McCarthy hasn't run any live, tackle-to-the-ground drills so far in training camp. There's been full contact, but runners are held up when they're hit at the line, or touched once they break through. McCarthy said that all the 11-on-11 periods in the scrimmage tonight will be live except for special teams. McCarthy said he was going to determine Friday night the offensive and defensive matchups. "I initially had the (starters) going vs. the (No.) 2s, and maybe the No. 1s going vs. the No. 1s in the 2-minute (drill), very similar to last year," McCarthy said. "But I want to look at the medical report before I make a final decision."

New punter struggles

New punter Ryan Dougherty struggled in the limited chances he received in practice after the Packers signed him earlier in the day. Dougherty, who is an undrafted rookie out of East Carolina, replaced David Lonie, who broke his plant foot on the first day of training camp. Dougherty had five punts during a live-rush punting drill. He hit only one of the five well, a 51-yarder with good hang time. He had two 41-yard punts, a 34-yard shank and a 29-yard wobbler. All the punts came with a strong breeze at his back. Incumbent Jon Ryan hit four of his eight punts for 50 yards or more. ______________________________________________________________

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/PKR01/708040475/1989

Insider: No beating around the Bush

Thumbs up

If Jarrett Bush keeps this up, he's going to force the coaches into giving him a shot at the No. 3 cornerback job. So far in camp, Patrick Dendy has gotten all the work as the third corner in the nickel defense, but Bush is closing fast. The second-year pro has made a major impact on special teams, blocking a Dave Rayner field goal during Tuesday's practice at City Stadium, but he's been solid in coverage while Dendy continues to give up plays. Bush largely had been an afterthought in the battle for the third corner. Dendy, who had the job last season, was going to get the first shot, and most figured free agent Frank Walker would be next in line.Bush, who was claimed off waivers from Carolina last September and played in all 16 games last season, mostly on special teams, had blanket coverage on rookie receiver James Jones during a team (11-on-11) period during Friday's practice, and the ball was thrown incomplete.

Thumbs down [Clowney getting mixed reviews]

If there's an early candidate for the dubious honor of being the most disappointing draft pick, it's receiver David Clowney. The fifth-round pick from Virginia Tech has struggled with nearly every aspect of his position. Friday's practice was a microcosm of his first week of training camp. During a one-on-one period, he dropped a gimme touchdown in the corner of the end zone after cornerback Will Blackmon fell down on coverage. The perfectly thrown ball slipped through his hands. Later in practice, he caught a pass only because it practically stuck in his facemask after again going through his hands. Even worse was his mistake on a route in a red-zone play during a team period. On a third-and-5 from the 10-yard line, Clowney quit running on a drag route in the end zone, allowing Brett Favre's pass to fall incomplete. Had the defensive coverage been better, it could have been intercepted. The Packers might not be able to use his remarkable speed in the kicking game, because during a special teams period, he couldn't catch a kickoff cleanly.

Did you notice?

After making 29 of 30 field goals during the first eight training camp practices, Dave Rayner missed three on Friday. He missed wide left from 34 yards, had a 41-yard kick blocked and missed wide left from 44 yards. His only previous miss was a blocked kick on Tuesday. Rayner made kicks from 34, 41 and 41 yards to finish 3-for-6. Rookie Mason Crosby went 3-for-5, missing wide right from 41 yards and wide right from 44 yards. Crosby is 28-for-33 in camp. Jon Ryan averaged 48.5 yards and 4.44 seconds of hang time on eight punts during a special teams period. He had punts of 60 and 69 yards, both of which had 5.1 seconds of hang time. Newly acquired punter Ryan Dougherty averaged 41.6 yards and 4.35 seconds of hang time on six punts.

Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly jumped offsides three times during the one-on-one pass-rushing drills. When he managed to get off the snap on time, he beat Tony Palmer and Pat Murray but couldn't beat Tyson Walter. Aaron Rodgers was nearly flawless during team and 7-on-7 drills, completing 14 of 15 passes.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks, Top.

My Dendy-love aside, it looks like the GB Cornerback position is in very good shape. 3 people alone fighting for the nickelspot? Yikes. two years ago we barely had TWO corners, now we have 3+ solid ones.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

That's a big IF. Injuries can happen anytime and anywhere. Chad Clifton could slip and Julius Peppers could have clear shot at Favre and it could be all over.

I am concerned with the blocking abilities but I'm more concern with how we're going to replace the home run threat Ahman Green gave us every single time he touched the ball. If Jackson can replace that, I can live with his flawed blocking abilities. Just like I can live with Brett Favre’s decision making because of his ability to improvise better than maybe any QB to ever play the game. I really don’t believe there is such thing as a perfect player.

I do expect Jackson to get better at blocking but from the looks of it, I don’t expect him to ever be one of the better running backs in the league at picking up blitzes. He's going to have to pickup blitzes. I really don't see the Packers doing what Trom mention in pulling him everytime it's a pass. In fact I see him going out for passes a lot more than staying in because of this.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I am concerned with the blocking abilities but I'm more concern with how we're going to replace the home run threat Ahman Green gave us every single time he touched the ball. If Jackson can replace that, I can live with his flawed blocking abilities. Just like I can live with Brett Favre’s decision making because of his ability to improvise better than maybe any QB to ever play the game. I really don’t believe there is such thing as a perfect player.

You confuse me at times. You knocked Ahman earlier this year, now you're saying he was a threat to go the distance every time he touched it. :shrug:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BONUS: INSIDER REPORTS

http://packers.scout.com/2/664531.html

The Word: Training Camp Day 7

Tight ends corp getting thinner; Jackson gets more comfortable; Woodson delivers

At this rate, offensive tackle Tony Moll will be changing his number by Monday. A former tight end-turned-offensive tackle at the University of Nevada, Moll was forced into some action at tight end in this afternoon's practice at Clarke Hinkle Field. The Packers' tight end corp was narrowed down to two today - Donald Lee and Joe Werner. Tory Humphrey was officially placed on injured reserve today after having ankle surgery Wednesday and Bubba Franks did not practice due to a scratched cornea that he sustained in Tuesday's practice. The injury is severely affecting his vision and could keep him out longer than expected. Zac Alcorn and Clark Harris both had lights-out practices Thursday night, but couldn’t ride their wave of momentum. The young tight end duo sat out practice today for separate ailments. Alcorn has several foot blisters, according to head coach Mike McCarthy, who said “[Alcorn’s] feet are all screwed up.” Harris has been relatively quiet throughout the first week of camp but seemed invigorated with Brett Favre’s return last night when he snagged five catches in 11-on-11 drills. But he has a minor ankle sprain and expects to be back on the field soon.

“I just tweaked my ankle a little bit,” shrugged Harris after practice. “I’ll be back in a few days hopefully. It’s nothing.” Franks appears doubtful to participate in Saturday's Family Night scrimmage at Lambeau Field. It is likely that Alcorn or Harris, or both, will participate in the scrimmage, which begins at 6:30 p.m. “I have no idea if I’ll play,” Harris said. “I’m taking it day by day. It’s up to the trainers and when they test me. We’ll see how it goes.” Harris is anxious to return to practice. The cobwebs are cleared and his confidence in the offense is rising. “It’s nice to get out there and have some balls thrown to me,” said Harris about last night. “I’ve been out there kind of thinking too much and not really playing my best football. So yesterday I kind of just went out there and let it fly and have some fun. I got open a few times and the quarterbacks found me when I got open.”

The absence of this trio left only two tight ends for today- Donald Lee and Joe Werner. Considering Werner still needs instruction from coaches before each play (and was blocking downfield on a passing play once), the offense was really left with only one tight end to operate with. McCarthy uses tight ends in a multitude of ways, which made today’s practice quite a challenge. “They need to get healthy,” McCarthy said. “We were short so that’s why we adjusted practice at the end. We did more special team work even though we wanted to do some red zone.” With more reps, Lee didn’t disappoint. Favre looked to Lee with regularity today, especially in the team’s red zone drill. Lee showed his underrated quickness on a 16-yard touchdown strike from Favre, leaving a cornerback in the dust on a hard cut to the middle. McCarthy has noticed. Each day Lee appears more like the starter at tight end…and not by default. “I think Donald Lee is having an excellent camp,” said a sincere McCarthy. “He’s playing with a lot of confidence. I think he is a lot more comfortable with what we’re asking him to do. We probably moved him around a little too much last year. So, I think Donald is having an excellent camp.”

The atmosphere at Family Night will be a good barometer for McCarthy to judge this uneasy position. Of course, the often-hobbled tight ends have to be on the field. If not, it’s just another adjustment. “I’m hoping both Zack and Clark will be back tomorrow,” said McCarthy. “Hopefully Bubba can be too but the eye injury is not healing as quickly as everyone would like. So, we’ll see what happens. We’re going to do what we have to do. The whole football team needs to work so if we have to go four wideouts all day we’ll go four wideouts all day.” Family Night will be full-contact on offense, defense, and the two-minute drill with special teams remaining in ‘thud’ mode. Here are some other notes from today’s practice:

Offensive Play of the Day

Brandon Jackson’s struggles in pass protection continued today, but it appears he is starting to run without thinking about when and where to cut. In one 11-on-11 drill, the ball was placed at the offense’s two-yard line. The defense stacked the line but Jackson found a crease off left tackle and blew through it. The whistles were blown after Jackson picked up 14 yards, but he had a full head of steam to bust through the tackle for several more. It’s difficult to judge running backs at training camp with limited or no tackling, but Jackson is improving. As Vernand Morency nurses a knee injury, Jackson is receiving the bulk of the snaps. Fullback Brandon Miree has seen Jackson take the lumps early. But in his view, it will pay off for the rookie.

“I think Brandon is making a lot of strides,” said Miree. “There’s no progress without struggling. I think he is getting better and better. I’d like to see him get to the point where he’s not thinking about the plays he has to make and he can just use his natural ability. I think he’ll be coming around pretty soon.”

Defensive Play of the Day

Wide receiver James Jones has glided freely many times across the middle of the field in the first seven days of training camp. Charles Woodson reminded Jones today that in an actual game, short drags near the line of scrimmage don’t come without consequence. Woodson crept toward the line and unloaded on Jones after he caught the ball about five yards downfield. Jones hung onto the ball despite Woodson’s blow.

Stock is Rising

Utility players are hard to find. Every offensive coordinator craves for a player that is athletic enough to be utilized in multiple roles to keep defenses guessing. That is why Chicago converted Devin Hester to wide receiver. Speed, athleticism, and agility can be used in countless ways with the help of a creative coordinator. Rookie David Clowney could be that type of threat. The barely six-foot, 185 pounds he has dropped plenty of passes in camp. Today, however, he made a strong case for a roster spot. During red zone work, Clowney motioned to the right, curled behind Favre and ran a swing route. Favre zipped it to him and Clowney turned on the burners for a 15-yard touchdown. At Virginia Tech, Clowney only returned five kicks in three seasons, but he is competing for that role with the Packers. In today’s kick return work Clowney displayed natural vision. The coverage unit wasn’t at full tilt, but Clowney’s speed gives him an immediate advantage over other Packers receivers. That in itself is worth a roster spot.

Stock is Falling

Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby came back to earth today in their kicking dual. Rayner was 3-for-6, missing from 34, 41, and 44 yards. Crosby went 3-for-5, missing his last two kicks from 41 and 44 yards. (Rayner was given an extra kick because his 41-yard attempt was blocked.) The two combined for four ugly kicks at the end of practice in a mini-competition that won't carry any worth. You can’t bring a sword to a gun fight. “I thought the work within the practice was just OK,” McCarthy said. “It wasn't Dave’s best day, but I threw them a curveball there and it was really a reaction to the tight ends, kind of being down to one guy there at the end. They had their tennis shoes on. That was poor planning on my part.”

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

You confuse me at times. You knocked Ahman earlier this year, now you're saying he was a threat to go the distance every time he touched it. :shrug:

It takes more than breakaway speed to be a great running back. That was the part of Ahman's game that I thought was most benefitical to the Packers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:

It takes more than breakaway speed to be a great running back. That was the part of Ahman's game that I thought was most benefitical to the Packers.
Who said anything about 'great'? Not I.
I believe you said he was below or close to average where I said he was a notch above average.

edit,
porky88 said:
To run for 1,000 yards in the NFL you only need to average 62.5 yards a game. That is actually a very easy number to obtain even behind a rookie offensive line. The amount of carries needed to average that is not terribly high either. A tick above average in my opinion isn't stretching it at all. I think that's a fair assessment but stretching it would be considering Ahman Green is back and that he is not..

Should also be mentioned that Ahman missed two games. He's averaging nearly 80 yards a game. Quite a few teams would like that.

http://packerforum.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8968

The conclusion of that thread makes me see your point better. You weren't 'knocking' him as I previously mentioned, that was inaccurate on my part, my apologies.
You were simply making the point that he is not the same 'Ahman' that we were accustomed to, but still has that chance to bust it every time he touches it. Skimming through the thread a little shows we both agreed Ahman is not the same RB he once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts