OFFICIAL SUH SUSPENDED FOR 2 GAMES

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a difference here
Woodson is as guilty of temper issues as Suh
but you have a whole tread devoted to this, maybe i'm missing something

Seems kind of hypocritical, I'd expect this from Bears fan,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was bothering me why didnt Woody get ejected...So I decided to research this some...I couldnt find the link for the NFL rules but found this from ESPN which quoted the actual rules

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30955/dirty-laundry-charles-woodsons-punch

Referee Clete Blakeman's crew assessed a 15-yard penalty but decided against ejection, helping us clear up a common misconception. NFL rules do not mandate an automatic ejection for a punch.
In fact, here is how Section 2 of Rule 12 reads:
STRIKING, KICKING, OR KNEEING OPPONENT

Article 1 All players are prohibited from:

(a) striking with the fists;

(b) kicking or kneeing; or

(c) striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck, or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, arm, elbow, or clasped hands. See 12-2-3.

(d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Penalty: For fouls in a, b, c, and d: Loss of 15 yards. If any of the above acts is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant, the offender may be disqualified as long as the entire action is observed by the official(s).

The key sentence is the final one. Blakeman had two standards to meet if he wanted to eject Woodson. First, he needed to judge the punch to be "flagrant." Then, he had to ensure that at least one member of his crew saw "the entire action."

So everyone that thinks Woodson should been ejected are wrong, and can not be compared to Suh..

Here are some more key points

According to Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com, Woodson said that Thomas was "holding me a little longer than I wanted" and added: "I know the referees saw what was going on. I'm sure that probably swayed their decision not to eject me."

But calls for an automatic ejection were unfounded. I couldn't tell you what Blakeman saw, or didn't see, that compelled him to allow Woodson to keep playing. But he absolutely had that option under NFL rules.

Lionsfan54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was bothering me why didnt Woody get ejected...So I decided to research this some...I couldnt find the link for the NFL rules but found this from ESPN which quoted the actual rules

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30955/dirty-laundry-charles-woodsons-punch

So everyone that thinks Woodson should been ejected are wrong, and can not be compared to Suh..

Here are some more key points

But. your guy was ejected before Suh in Thursday's game, for striking one of our DB's..
Which we all also agree, he had every right to start swinging, our guys were mauling him,
But why was he kicked out and not Woodson..

I think it might be up to the officials at the time, I've seen punches thrown in a lot of games without people being booted ...
But has you pointed out, (which I didn't know) that Woodson admitted to striking that guy, so it would explain why the lack of league action

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN says 2 games for Suh

somewhere Skip Bayless is saying NO Games for SUH
That's what ESPN says and as far as I'm concerned that is just speculation.
Be patient folks. We will get the official word on Tues.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fast forward to 3:35
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Fast Forward? Why? It's a great song sung by one of the most awesome entertainers the world has ever seen and heard.
Listen and watch the whole thing.
Is that from when The Man In Black performed at San Quentin?
I have the CD. It is one of the most underrated and one of the best CDs ever.
(I'm a big Johnny Cash fan. I'm nuts about the guy. Can't you tell?) ;)
I'm glad you posted this. Thanx a bunch.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fast Forward? Why? It's a great song sung by one of the most awesome entertainers the world has ever seen and heard.
Listen and watch the whole thing.
Is that from when The Man In Black performed at San Quentin?
I have the CD. It is one of the most underrated and one of the best CDs ever.
(I'm a big Johnny Cash fan. I'm nuts about the guy. Can't you tell?) ;)
I'm glad you posted this. Thanx a bunch.

Was posted in another Suh thread that didnt merge

RickInAZ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But. your guy was ejected before Suh in Thursday's game, for striking one of our DB's..
Which we all also agree, he had every right to start swinging, our guys were mauling him,

I think it might be up to the officials at the time, I've seen punches thrown in a lot of games without people being booted ...
But has you pointed out, (which I didn't know) that Woodson admitted to striking that guy, so it would explain why the lack of league action
He was kicked out because the referee team at that particular game sucked so hard I'm surprised Ford Field wasn't temporarily renamed "Hoover Field." I don't know what's up with the NFL continuing to allow Jeff Triplette to work games as a referee, but the guy is atrociously bad.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Read the article..

I dont have time to go back and re quote it...Its there

NFL rules do not mandate an automatic ejection for a punch.
In fact, here is how Section 2 of Rule 12 reads:
STRIKING, KICKING, OR KNEEING OPPONENT

Article 1 All players are prohibited from:

(a) striking with the fists;

(b) kicking or kneeing; or

(c) striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck, or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, arm, elbow, or clasped hands. See 12-2-3.

(d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Penalty: For fouls in a, b, c, and d: Loss of 15 yards. If any of the above acts is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant, the offender may be disqualified as long as the entire action is observed by the official(s).

The key sentence is the final one. Blakeman had two standards to meet if he wanted to eject Woodson. First, he needed to judge the punch to be "flagrant." Then, he had to ensure that at least one member of his crew saw "the entire action."

there, hope that answers it

RickInAZ

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's asking why Lee was kicked out (when he was obviously being baited into a response) and Woodson was not. If the officials saw the entire action between Lee and the two Lions defenders, the official shouldn't have had him ejected. I think in this case the official didn't see the whole thing, thought he did (or didn't care; with that particular officiating crew there's no way of knowing) and decided Lee wasn't provoked.

It's just a bad ruling on the field. Lee shouldn't have been ejected.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Just my guess, and just my opinion, but I think it was because they were as well aware of the pre-game hype as we or anyone else regarding the Lions' dirty play, the "bad blood" that may have been developing, and they probably wanted to make an early statement that such things would not be allowed; which is what makes Suh's conduct so much more egregious. Knowing that they had already ejected a guy -- for far less than stomping on someone-- Suh did what he did anyway.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he's asking why Lee was kicked out (when he was obviously being baited into a response) and Woodson was not. If the officials saw the entire action between Lee and the two Lions defenders, the official shouldn't have had him ejected. I think in this case the official didn't see the whole thing, thought he did (or didn't care; with that particular officiating crew there's no way of knowing) and decided Lee wasn't provoked.

It's just a bad ruling on the field. Lee shouldn't have been ejected.

Its not that an official has to see every single part of a play, but just the beginning and end of the "fight" is the way I understand it..

So what he saw with Lee was Lee causing the issues..Right or wrong, that is what the ref saw..Just like any other penalty, the ref can make mistakes...Although this is a bad mistake, it still happens

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodell make a statement with Suh's suspension. I wonder if Suh's meeting with the commish helped him or hurt him in this case?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodell make a statement with Suh's suspension. I wonder if Suh's meeting with the commish helped him or hurt him in this case?

I think it will hurt him. The whole purpose of that meeting was to make sure Suh was aware of the rules, what was acceptable and what was not. So, going into the game on Thursday, Suh should of been very aware of what would was going to happen when he stomped Smith because he would of been aware that it was wrong. Having had fore-knowledge of the rules, he cannot claim ignorance to the rules as his defense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
Suh suspended two games for stomp

Lions' Ndamukong Suh has been suspended for two games without pay, the league announced Tuesday

there playoff season is probably over

Members online