Official Packers vs Da Bears

H

HardRightEdge

On the safety if you look at the D formation, the audible to the right side makes sense. The Lions had a DT over Lang and the DE on the outside shoulder of the TE. Levy was lined up inside of the DT over Lang. There was a huge gap over Bulaga and in hindsight a straight power blocking scheme would have made more sense. But it should have worked with the line call made too. (BTW back in the "good ole days" we called what the OGs did cross blocks, not pulling. Pulling was what Kramer and Thurston did on the Packers sweep.) Both Sitton and Lang allowed the OL to their right to take the DL across from them (creating a great angle for both Linsley and Bulaga) while the the two OGs stepped around them. If Lang would have been more aware on that play, he would have had the angle on Levy too and Sitton got in the way of the other LB.

I agree about no blame for Lacy. The only he could have done after his initial move was to spin outside and I can just imagine the sh!tstorm if he'd have gotten tackled in the EZ during the spin.
Yeah, man-up zone blocking with Lang firing out on Levy could have made some hay. I'm a little skeptical of Lang's observation that the play would have worked if Levy had not shot the gap. Levy was not shooting off the snap; it was not a run blitz. His first couple steps were with the flow until he saw Lacy set his right foot and that gaping hole to shoot through.

In the end, I don't think there's any way to look at it but blocking *****. (Uh oh, here come the moderators! ;))

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Still too early to be overly worried. I think this game the offense finally gets going. Lacy goes off against the Bears defense, and Rodgers .. picks apart their depleted secondary. It will be a higher scoring game. I predict Packers win 34-28.
I hope you're right and I'd be thrilled if you were.
First, I'll take a W any which way but loose. (No punt intended)
An observation.. Our D had given up just 13 points in the last 6 consecutive qtrs! I think it'd safe to say were improving.. I watched the Bears vs 49rs game.. The Bears looked formidable overall, I think their D has improved this year and I don't take this game lightly. As a numbers guy this is what I refer to as a"Threshold" game. One mega factor in this game that neutralizes home field...
Peppers! He's getting more comfortable with his role each week. If Clay plays it provides a distraction., Julius gets 2 sacks and makes his former fans eat crow. Expect another sack between Mike Daniels and M Neal. This pressure eventually wears on Double-chin.. I mean , Cutler. If we get ANY kind of synchronicity on O. This game becomes our template. GB 26 Chicago 17

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You apparently missed my reference to high throw jump-balls... and if I were building a team around a running back I'd start with Forte over Reggie Bush 100 times out of 100.
I remember only one jump ball caught by Calvin Johnson, the one over Shields. If Marshall and Jeffery are better than Calvin Johnson then we'll just disagree. We have a very good group of CBs and haven't caved to the Bears yet.

I also agree that Forte is a better overall RB, but you specifically stated that we had to stop Forte on screens. Bush is much more explosive on the edge while Forte is better in between the tackles.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also agree that Forte is a better overall RB, but you specifically stated that we had to stop Forte on screens. Bush is much more explosive on the edge while Forte is better in between the tackles.

Forte has averaged 7.4 yards on screen passes since the start of the 2013 season. That´s 1.6 yards more than Bush is averaging.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon Marshall didn't practice today and is questionable for Sunday's game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll bet Marshall plays - not at 100% but he'll play.

Edit: Beat me to it, Carl.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go with Packers, 34-24.
The defense comes up with some big plays/ turnovers, and AR and the offense show signs of turning things around.
If not, this will likely be a very dissapointing season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Four players out for the Bears: C Roberto Garza, G Matt Slauson, DL Jeremiah Ratliff and LB Shea McClellin

In addition to Marshall, Jared Allen and S Chris Conte have been listed as questionable but are expected to play.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Da Bears" have been a "tonic" for the Packers in some of their "struggling time" before and could be again. In the 3 biggest games of the recent history in pro football's oldest rivalry the Pack has come up big every time. But I don't think this game this early is on par with the 2010 game to make the playoffs and the NFC Championship or last year's deciding the division title.

A loss certainly won't be good but it doesn't mean the demise of the season either. The NFC North will be decided in December not September and at least as far as scheduling the Packers hold a good hand then.

Win or lose I want to see the offense wake up and start playing as anticipated and to what we have been accustomed. The defense has been quietly showing signs of improvement. Over the last nearly 7 quarters they've yielded only 13 points. showed signs of a pass rush and generated some picks.

Chicago has been helped by the generosity of their two previous opponents with 7 turnovers, which have been crucial to the outcome of those games. Without those the Bears might be 0-3 now. The Packers, Eddie Lacy's fumble last week notwithstanding, are not a turnover prone team. And Jay Cutler is minus-6 in his td to int. ratio in his career against Green Bay.

Home field hasn't been a big factor in these games over the years. Both have been able to win on the other's turf and Soldier Field has been a "home away from home" for the Packers. I think the guys get it together and come up with a strategic win.

D

Deleted member 6794

A loss certainly won't be good but it doesn't mean the demise of the season either. The NFC North will be decided in December not September and at least as far as scheduling the Packers hold a good hand then.

While I agree with all of you saying the division won't be won in September it is possible to lose it before December. Losing to the Bears tomorrow would mean the Packers would have already dug themselves a huge hole after only four games tough to get out of.

H

HardRightEdge

Four players out for the Bears: C Roberto Garza, G Matt Slauson, DL Jeremiah Ratliff and LB Shea McClellin

In addition to Marshall, Jared Allen and S Chris Conte have been listed as questionable but are expected to play.
Garza and Slauson were lost in week 1; Garza took only a few snaps before going down and Slauson did not make it to halftime.

Their pass protection does not appear to be suffering, but their run game has gone in the crapper. If the Packers have the same success as SF and NYG in stopping the run early, I would hope to see that followed by some jet rushes and blitzes to attack the Bears key vulnerability...Cutler under pressure.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite time each year, annoying the hell out of bear fans comparing the past twenty years. What is their response every time?

Stop talking about the past!

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers inactives vs. Bears: WR Jarrett Boykin. QB Scott Tolzien. CB Demetri Goodson. LB Carl Bradford, LB Brad Jones, C Garth Gerhart.

That means Jeff Janis will make his debut.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm surprised Allen won't play (but I haven't been paying that much attention to their players). The way Boykin has been playing his absence isn't significant IMO and I hope to see Janis from scrimmage - at the very least his speed would provide a decoy to stretch the D. At best, he could provide his one great play per game. I'd prefer Brad Jones be active but only if he'd be the backup and not the starter.

Anyway, no excuses today: They're healthier than the Bears and they need a win more.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

NFL TODAY have us beaten hands down. I`d love to see them eat humble pie tomorrow.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Maybe everyone needs to go to Church.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So the Bears will have no Allen, McClellin, or Ratliff, and a bunch of their players that are playing are dinged up. It looks like we are getting the Bears at the right time. This isn't a must-win game, but if we lose it's a telling game for where our team is.

Also, I'm curious to see if they finally give Bostick a chance. I did read about how the Packers want Bostick to practice better, but what I have to say about that is get over it. Lots of guys are better in games than practice. If the other TE's are inept than what's the harm in giving him a shot? R. Rodgers has shown he shouldn't have been playing IMO. Quarless made some plays so maybe he is the guy to go with. After all, I had him making the team because he's a veteran TE, and the guy we could go to if we needed someone that we could count on to do their responsibility, even if they don't shine while doing it. Quarless actually did decent in the passing game, too. I'd still like to see what Bostick can do, but I'm guessing we'll see more Quarless, less Rodgers, and almost no Bostick.
Really? Rodgers shouldn't be playing? How many practices have you attended? Do you have inside knowledge of where Bostick is at regarding his recovery from injury?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts