Official Packers vs Da Bears

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think someone should McCarthy a Xanax and have him "sit on the bench" and let Rodgers call the plays.

That's just it tho mM doesn't coach with a sense of urgency until he has to, but against good teams it's not going to work. The Jets are not a good team. Remember we were a botched timeout away by the Jets from playing for ot...it's like once we came alllll the way back and finally took the lead he got comfortable. Heck it took Mason Crosby 3 Fgs to keep us in the game! That's why I've never trusted MM in close games when we have the lead because he turns into a conservative coach instead of an aggressive one. If you want to coach conservative go coach women's vollyball

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's just it tho mM doesn't coach with a sense of urgency until he has to, but against good teams it's not going to work. The Jets are not a good team. Remember we were a botched timeout away by the Jets from playing for ot...it's like once we came alllll the way back and finally took the lead he got comfortable. Heck it took Mason Crosby 3 Fgs to keep us in the game! That's why I've never trusted MM in close games when we have the lead because he turns into a conservative coach instead of an aggressive one. If you want to coach conservative go coach women's vollyball

The Jets vs Bears game looked like they were filming for "bloopers". I think were gonna Blow the bears out Sunday and people are going to think were playing better and were just a slow starting team and it's all been figured out. I am also concerned about McCarhty's play calling and "in game adjustments" when we run into better teams down the road.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am trying to remember the last time MM out schemed the opposing defense. When is the last time the pack showed up from the opening kick and took advantage of and exploited a defense's weakness? I think there a few times they have used the 2 minute drill to get into a groove offensively after struggling but it has to have been at least a year before I said "wow MM is really exploiting this defense".

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am trying to remember the last time MM out schemed the opposing defense. When is the last time the pack showed up from the opening kick and took advantage of and exploited a defense's weakness? I think there a few times they have used the 2 minute drill to get into a groove offensively after struggling but it has to have been at least a year before I said "wow MM is really exploiting this defense".

*crickets* I got nothing ....

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I am trying to remember the last time we have even beaten a real good team. I guess winning at Baltimore last year was kind of impressive but I wouldn't call them a real good team in 2013. I thought our schedule was going to be on the "easier side" this year but the way things are shaping up it looks like it will be very challenging. Could shape up to be very interesting as we get deeper into it. MM is definitely gonna need his "A game" for us to make the playoffs and have a chance.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[Rant]Good Lord, some Packers fans – no one here of course – are not only spoiled but have short memories. The following is from the Packers website (but it's filled with facts) and is as of the end of last season:

[Quoted from the link below] During McCarthy’s stint in Green Bay, the Packers have registered 3,414 points, the third-highest total in the NFL over the past eight seasons (2006-13). Additionally, the team’s 171 total turnovers from 2006-13 were the second fewest in the league.

Seven of the eight Packer teams led by McCarthy have ranked in the NFL’s top 10 in total yardage – checking in at ninth in 2006, second in ’07, eighth in ’08, sixth in ’09, ninth in ’10, third in ’11, 11th in ’12 and third in ’13. Additionally, four of the franchise’s top six single-season yardage totals have occurred during McCarthy’s tenure. In 2008-09, the Packers were the first team in NFL history to produce a 4,000-yard passer (Rodgers), two 1,000-yard receivers (Greg Jennings, Donald Driver), and a 1,200-yard rusher (Ryan Grant) in two consecutive years.

The Packers have also finished in the top 10 in the NFL in total points each of the past seven seasons (2007-13), highlighted by a franchise-record 560 points in 2011. The franchise mark also ranks as the third-highest point total in NFL history ... The Packers’ 3,113 points over the past seven seasons are the most in franchise history over a seven-year span, while their 138 turnovers were the fewest over a seven-year period. In 2011, Green Bay set a franchise record for fewest giveaways in a season with 14, while ranking second in the NFL. The Packers again took care of the ball in 2012, finishing tied for second in the league and tied for second in single-season franchise history with just 16 turnovers.

(In 2013) The team finished with 6,404 yards, the second most in team history, while also ranking in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing (No. 7) and passing (No. 6) for the first time since 2004.

(The 2011) Packers set new single-season marks for touchdowns (70), total net yards (6,482) and net passing yards (4,924). The 70 TDs are also tied … for the third-most TDs in a season in NFL history. Green Bay outscored its opponents 560-359 in 2011, a 201-point differential that ranked No. 2 in the NFL. It marked the third straight season (2009-11) that the Packers outscored their opponents by at least 145 points. The last NFL team to accomplish that feat in three-plus consecutive seasons was the San Francisco 49ers from 1991-95. [End of quote] http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/mike-mccarthy/5470bb6f-3c63-4020-b03e-a80910646c47#1

[sarcasm approaching] Somehow McCarthy, the undisputed architect of the offense accomplished all that having never out-schemed an opponent! [/sarcasm][/Rant]

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Rant]Good Lord, some Packers fans – no one here of course – are not only spoiled but have short memories. The following is from the Packers website (but it's filled with facts) and is as of the end of last season:

[Quoted from the link below] During McCarthy’s stint in Green Bay, the Packers have registered 3,414 points, the third-highest total in the NFL over the past eight seasons (2006-13). Additionally, the team’s 171 total turnovers from 2006-13 were the second fewest in the league.

Seven of the eight Packer teams led by McCarthy have ranked in the NFL’s top 10 in total yardage – checking in at ninth in 2006, second in ’07, eighth in ’08, sixth in ’09, ninth in ’10, third in ’11, 11th in ’12 and third in ’13. Additionally, four of the franchise’s top six single-season yardage totals have occurred during McCarthy’s tenure. In 2008-09, the Packers were the first team in NFL history to produce a 4,000-yard passer (Rodgers), two 1,000-yard receivers (Greg Jennings, Donald Driver), and a 1,200-yard rusher (Ryan Grant) in two consecutive years.

The Packers have also finished in the top 10 in the NFL in total points each of the past seven seasons (2007-13), highlighted by a franchise-record 560 points in 2011. The franchise mark also ranks as the third-highest point total in NFL history ... The Packers’ 3,113 points over the past seven seasons are the most in franchise history over a seven-year span, while their 138 turnovers were the fewest over a seven-year period. In 2011, Green Bay set a franchise record for fewest giveaways in a season with 14, while ranking second in the NFL. The Packers again took care of the ball in 2012, finishing tied for second in the league and tied for second in single-season franchise history with just 16 turnovers.

(In 2013) The team finished with 6,404 yards, the second most in team history, while also ranking in the top 10 in the NFL in rushing (No. 7) and passing (No. 6) for the first time since 2004.

(The 2011) Packers set new single-season marks for touchdowns (70), total net yards (6,482) and net passing yards (4,924). The 70 TDs are also tied … for the third-most TDs in a season in NFL history. Green Bay outscored its opponents 560-359 in 2011, a 201-point differential that ranked No. 2 in the NFL. It marked the third straight season (2009-11) that the Packers outscored their opponents by at least 145 points. The last NFL team to accomplish that feat in three-plus consecutive seasons was the San Francisco 49ers from 1991-95. [End of quote] http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/mike-mccarthy/5470bb6f-3c63-4020-b03e-a80910646c47#1

[sarcasm approaching] Somehow McCarthy, the undisputed architect of the offense accomplished all that having never out-schemed an opponent! [/sarcasm][/Rant]

Sounds like a lot of exposing defenses to me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They put up 37, 31, and 33 points the last three games of last regular season. They certainly exploited defenses those games.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How did they get conservative once they had the lead against the Jets? Their last two drives they passed on 3rd and medium to try and get first downs and end the game. Conservative would be running all three downs and punting

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well maybe my expectations were too high? We have no problem beating "cup cake" teams but seem to have an issue giving a K.O to the really good teams of late. People brought this fact up during the off-season and pre-season and I defended the team and MM and got some gruff on here when I did. I really thought we would beat Seattle. We didn't obviously and we were "on and off" against the Jets. So we put up 16 against Seattle which is less then the two other teams they've played scored on them and we threw up 7 against Detroit which appears to be an improved Lions team, or at least till this point. I am not even sold on the Lions yet. They have a history of melting away pretty quickly.

After reviewing the two games we lost and watching "multiple times" how MM called both those games he really didn't help our chances in winning either of those games IMO. I know we had other issues as well but his game plan and play calling and lack of adjustments was horrible. There isn't any way around it. We can't even use the injury excuse really right now other then Bulaga and Brad Jones missing some time and I am glad Brad Jones is missing time. Yeah, this team is actually healthy which was mine and a lot of peoples biggest concern and we are 1-2.

Now he wants to forge ahead with his "no huddle offense" that has been a total disaster. There not even close to "75 plays" a game. So I am going to "chill out" and just see what happens but my confidence level of this team competing for a Super Bowl isn't even close to where it was. It might be getting close to adjusting my expectations and "RELAX".

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did they get conservative once they had the lead against the Jets? Their last two drives they passed on 3rd and medium to try and get first downs and end the game. Conservative would be running all three downs and punting

the last two drives eh??? Ok fine, but look at the play selection prior to the 3rd and mediums....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My expectations are to high.... I'll lower them so I won't get so frustrated with them. Let's see... Ok I say we finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs instead of 11-5. Wow, I feel better already. :)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier this week I didn't think the Packers would be able to overcome their offensive shortcomings... but I'm becoming more optimistic as we get closer to game day.

Fuller is VERY good, but still a rookie. He plays aggressively and will be susceptible to double-moves as he tries to jump the play and make something happen ~ Jordy gets 2 long TD's. Tim Jennings is good but definitely doesn't have the play recognition that Tillman had. He's a better slot CB than outside guy, so can be beaten if Aaron Rodgers doesn't under-throw passes.

Their safeties (all of them!) suck and/or are injured ~ there's no reason in the world that Aaron Rodgers shouldn't be able to throw for over 400 yds AND get a TE heavily involved in the offense.

Da Bears offense will roll, there's very little our DB's can do to stop Cutler's high throw jump-balls with Marshall and Jeffery going up high. Stopping Forte on screens will be the key to getting the Bear's offense OFF of the field.

High scoring shoot-out with Packers up enough late to keep Gould from being able to kick a game winner: Packers 40, Bears 34

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Da Bears offense will roll, there's very little our DB's can do to stop Cutler's high throw jump-balls with Marshall and Jeffery going up high. Stopping Forte on screens will be the key to getting the Bear's offense OFF of the field.
Are the Bears somehow better in this department than the Lions? Stafford is a better QB than Cutler. Calvin Johnson is a better receiver than Marshall. Jeffery is arguably better than Golden Tate but they offer different skill sets at the #2 WR position. Reggie Bush is a better all-around RB than Forte. We shut them down last week, and somehow there is "very little our DB's can do?" Give our defense more credit. I'm not saying that we will shut down the Bears, but we just shut down a better offense so we should be able to do it again this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are the Bears somehow better in this department than the Lions? Stafford is a better QB than Cutler. Calvin Johnson is a better receiver than Marshall. Jeffery is arguably better than Golden Tate but they offer different skill sets at the #2 WR position. Reggie Bush is a better all-around RB than Forte. We shut them down last week, and somehow there is "very little our DB's can do?" Give our defense more credit. I'm not saying that we will shut down the Bears, but we just shut down a better offense so we should be able to do it again this week.

While the Bears possess another thread in TE Martellus Bennett I expect the pass rush to create pressure against the Bears OL, which has been hit by injuries.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO what should make a big difference is the Packers ability to run the ball against the Bears D. That should open up the passing game. The Packers didn't have a single play go for 20 or more yards against the Lions. That has to, and should, change against the Bears D. The Packers should be able to get better pressure against Cutler than they have in the past - the Packers D stats aren't good but IMO they have gotten better pressure on the QB this season and the Bears do have injuries on the OL.

BTW, when I linked McGinn's analysis of the Bears, I should have mentioned some think their loss of Peanut Tillman is a good thing. The Packers have been able to take advantage of him over the years but I've seldom seen a player so consistently good at causing fumbles.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You apparently missed my reference to high throw jump-balls... and if I were building a team around a running back I'd start with Forte over Reggie Bush 100 times out of 100.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO what should make a big difference is the Packers ability to run the ball against the Bears D. That should open up the passing game. The Packers didn't have a single play go for 20 or more yards against the Lions. That has to, and should, change against the Bears D. The Packers should be able to get better pressure against Cutler than they have in the past - the Packers D stats aren't good but IMO they have gotten better pressure on the QB this season and the Bears do have injuries on the OL.

BTW, when I linked McGinn's analysis of the Bears, I should have mentioned some think their loss of Peanut Tillman is a good thing. The Packers have been able to take advantage of him over the years but I've seldom seen a player so consistently good at causing fumbles.

Kyle Fuller has been pretty amazing so far, the Bears don´t have any talented guys at nickel corner or safety though. While that didn´t help the Packers vs. the Lions I don´t expect the Bears being able to stop the run with only six guys in the box which should open up the passing game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wait? You think Bush is an all around better back than Forte? I'd have to disagree...although Bush is a better wr and better in open field Forte doesn't come off the field. Bush has NEVER been a guy to carry the load. He's always needed that power back or change of pace back.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's what Tom Silverstein had to say about the play which resulted in the safety:

The Lions, having just given the ball up
on an interception, are supremely confident in their run defense, so they keep both safeties back and try to defend the Packers’seven blockers with seven defenders. They are in a base 4-3 alignment with DTs Nick Fairley (98) and C.J. Mosley (99) anchoring the
middle and Jason Jones (91) and George Johnson (93) on the ends. The Lions leave themselves vulnerableon the right edge because if Nelson executes his block on CB Darius Slay (23) Lacy could be one-on-one with the safety.

At first glance, pulling the guards and expecting things to go smoothly in a compressed area down at the 1-yard line seems like wishful thinking. But Aaron Rodgers correctly reads that the two defensive tackles have the guards covered and there’s a chance for Lacy to get outside.“It was just something that Aaron saw from the defense and called the play,”Lang said.“If that guy didn’t blitz the gap then it would have been a pretty good play. It’s not something
you see too often (pulling guards at the 1), but it wasn’t the play call that was
at fault, it was the execution.”Lang blamed himself for not making the
block. Actually, the Packers could have survived Levy attacking the hole the way he did – and benefited from it ultimately – if Jones hadn’t blown Richard Rodgers 2 yards into the backfield.The rookie was hit so hard his arms flailed as he tried to regain balance. Lacy ran right into Rodgers’ back, taking a little leap, presumably to try to get airborne and over the goal-line. If Rodgers holds the point, Lacy probably runs past or breaks the tackle of Levy and is off to the races. Nelson has Slay walled off and so it would have been just Lacy and S Glover Quin (27). Lacy could have tried harder to get out of the end zone, perhaps trying to reach the ball over the goal-line.“Total momentum swing back to Detroit,”coach Mike McCarthy said of the safety.
I don't see it quite that way.

Lacy's first move was a right-foot-plant toward the gap inside the TE, which was initially quite enticing. However, the pulling Lang did not recognize Levy blowing through until it was too late as he was going outside to help Rodgers on the DE. Had Lang turned up into the gap to take on Levy and had Bulaga held his block, the play might have worked and for decent yards to boot. "Might" because Bulaga did not hold the seal block on Mosely who might have gotten a hand on Lacy before he reached the hole.

Lacy's second move was bouncing outside where he ran into Rodgers getting blown off the line. The play might have gotten out of the end zone otherwise, as Silverstein noted, if Rodgers had not been blown out. Or perhaps Levy untouched and with a full head of steam might have gotten him from the backside. It's impossible to tell.

The point being, there were so many things wrong with the blocking on this play that to single out the Rodgers failure (which was bad, to be sure) is only half the picture and singles out the most obvious mistake because it's where the ball went (Squirrel!).

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see it quite that way.

Lacy's first move was a right-foot-plant toward the gap inside the TE, which was initially quite enticing. However, the pulling Lang did not recognize Levy blowing through until it was too late as he was going outside to help Rodgers on the DE. Had Lang turned up into the gap to take on Levy and had Bulaga held his block, the play might have worked and for decent yards to boot. "Might" because Bulaga did not hold the seal block on Mosely who might have gotten a hand on Lacy before he reached the hole.

Lacy's second move was bouncing outside where he ran into Rodgers getting blown off the line. The play might have gotten out of the end zone otherwise, as Silverstein noted, if Rodgers had not been blown out. Or perhaps Levy untouched and with a full head of steam might have gotten him from the backside. It's impossible to tell.

The point being, there were so many things wrong with the blocking on this play that to single out the Rodgers failure (which was bad, to be sure) is only half the picture and singles out the most obvious mistake because it's where the ball went (Squirrel!).

No doubt Lang should have picked up Levy, that wasn´t the point of me posting Silverstein´s take on the play. It seems like Rodgers changed the call at the LOS and IMO it´s an odd call to pull both guards at the 1-yard line.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Fuller has been pretty amazing so far, the Bears don´t have any talented guys at nickel corner or safety though. While that didn´t help the Packers vs. the Lions I don´t expect the Bears being able to stop the run with only six guys in the box which should open up the passing game.
Well lets hope MM installs some routes that have double moves with some really good pump fakes from Rodgers. Fuller has gotten 2 if not all 3 of his picks from reading the qb and abandoning his man to make a play on the ball. He is playing corner like a safety and they could burn him bad if he bites on a fake.

H

HardRightEdge

No doubt Lang should have picked up Levy, that wasn´t the point of me posting Silverstein´s take on the play. It seems like Rodgers changed the call at the LOS and IMO it´s an odd call to pull both guards at the 1-yard line.
I would not endorse power pulling the guards on the 1 yard line unless, perhaps, you're WASH, to take one example, who has been running these kinds of blocking schemes for years with success.

In Green Bay, however, this stuff has not been field tested much and the 1 yard line does not seem like a good place to work out the kinks. If Rodgers' call included the blocking call then, yes, he needs to take some blame for it.

Of one thing I'm certain...Lacy shoulders no blame for this. He made the right initial move and then the right second move, however he was surrounded by failed assignments at both turns.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the last two drives eh??? Ok fine, but look at the play selection prior to the 3rd and mediums....

After they look the lead in the game, one drive was the 80 yard bomb to Jordy. Next drive, they tried to go deep again, but Rodgers held the ball too long and got sacked, leading to the drive ending. Then they tried to pick up the first by passing, and finally sealed the win with a 3rd down pass.

I'm failing to see their lack of aggression after they took the lead.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On the safety if you look at the D formation, the audible to the right side makes sense. The Lions had a DT over Lang and the DE on the outside shoulder of the TE. Levy was lined up inside of the DT over Lang. There was a huge gap over Bulaga and in hindsight a straight power blocking scheme would have made more sense. But it should have worked with the line call made too. (BTW back in the "good ole days" we called what the OGs did cross blocks, not pulling. Pulling was what Kramer and Thurston did on the Packers sweep.) Both Sitton and Lang allowed the OL to their right to take the DL across from them (creating a great angle for both Linsley and Bulaga) while the the two OGs stepped around them. If Lang would have been more aware on that play, he would have had the angle on Levy too and Sitton got in the way of the other LB.

I agree about no blame for Lacy. The only he could have done after his initial move was to spin outside and I can just imagine the sh!tstorm if he'd have gotten tackled in the EZ during the spin.

Members online

Latest posts