Official Packers vs Da Bears

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This game will come down to protection, if the bears can rush 4 and cause problems it will be another long day for us. I honestly think the clay and peppers tandem is starting to work im liking it. this game will be won in the trenches we must make a saftey on the bears D come up and not play 2 high all game long.

I dont see the Bears having a lot of success with their def front...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel good that the packers beat the bears and the vikings
Wow!
A post that pertains to both the future and the past at the same time in just one sentence?
Awesome.
(I'm not being sarcastic. I don't know if I've ever seen a post like that before!)

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe in being present and not looking to the past to predict our future.
I believe in the here and now.
I'm going to continue to be frustrated in the 2014 Packers until they get their stuff together and start winning games.
Now I could just chuck that all aside and have blind faith in this team as you are suggesting.
But that is hard for me and others to do when we start out at 1-2 and don't see the team making any changes or adjustments when what they are doing isn't working.
Somehow our opponents have figured out how to stop Lacy and they keep on running on 1st and 2nd downs.
It seems like MM is just sticking with that hoping that it will somehow work and I'm starting to agree that someone else should get the job of play caller.
Sure, they could still win on Sunday but the way they have been playing this year it seems like it will be close or that the Bears will win.
I'd wish I had more confidence but I base my faith in the team on what they are doing currently and not on what they have done before.
Are we playoff bound? A very big IF right now. And even if we get into the playoffs, it could be an even bigger IF regarding the Pack to win.

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I'm not sure "blind faith" is required. We know what the team is capable of doing. This isn't an all new team that we aren't familiar with, which is exactly why I have faith because I know what they can do. I view blind faith as not having any proof that things are going to work out, but we do have that proof and we do have the talent. Therefore, I do have faith. And that does require looking at past games, even though you do have to adapt each year.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But that is hard for me and others to do when we start out at 1-2 and don't see the team making any changes or adjustments when what they are doing isn't working.

I know you said you dont look at the past but I have a question..

Prev years when were were 1-2, or worse I am pretty sure people said same things then...We stink, not making any changes, etc..So I went and dug a little..

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/offensive-problems-explanations.39336/

2012 after the loss to the Seahawks...Same EXACT complaining as we have now

and another

https://www.packerforum.com/threads...dest-worst-starting-years-for-the-pack.39601/

But they fixed it in those years, so what makes people think "this time" it can't be fixed?

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you said you dont look at the past but I have a question..

Prev years when were were 1-2, or worse I am pretty sure people said same things then...We stink, not making any changes, etc..So I went and dug a little..

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/offensive-problems-explanations.39336/

2012 after the loss to the Seahawks...Same EXACT complaining as we have now

and another

https://www.packerforum.com/threads...dest-worst-starting-years-for-the-pack.39601/

But they fixed it in those years, so what makes people think "this time" it can't be fixed?

I wasn't visiting this board at the time, but I can't imagine what people were saying the year we lost two OT games in a row, only scored 3 points against the Lions and lost to the Bears on MNF.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe in being present and not looking to the past to predict our future.
I believe in the here and now.
I'm going to continue to be frustrated in the 2014 Packers until they get their stuff together and start winning games.
Now I could just chuck that all aside and have blind faith in this team as you are suggesting.
Somehow our opponents have figured out how to stop Lacy and they keep on running on 1st and 2nd downs.
It seems like MM is just sticking with that hoping that it will somehow work and I'm starting to agree that someone else should get the job of play caller.
Sure, they could still win on Sunday but the way they have been playing this year it seems like it will be close or that the Bears will win.
I'd wish I had more confidence but I base my faith in the team on what they are doing currently and not on what they have done before.
Are we playoff bound? A very big IF right now. And even if we get into the playoffs, it could be an even bigger IF regarding the Pack to win.
Even so, I still hope that every season will be the season we win it all.

The Lions didn't do anything special to stop Lacy. In fact, they were lining up with only 6 in the box for most of the game according to Mike Spofford on Packers.com. The Lions simply won their individual match ups and got off the blocks. Not much McCarthy can due as far as play calling when they couldn't run against pass defense formations.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions didn't do anything special to stop Lacy. In fact, they were lining up with only 6 in the box for most of the game according to Mike Spofford on Packers.com. The Lions simply won their individual match ups and got off the blocks. Not much McCarthy can due as far as play calling when they couldn't run against pass defense formations.
I diss agree MM has a lot to do with it, starks was running fine then all of a sudden mm takes starks out. Go with the hot hand. Run some I form you have one of the best full backs in the nfl in KHUN and MM is not using him. MM problem is he doesn't know how to adjust he struggle with it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out. I sit corrected.

Sometimes that's just the way games go. One opponent has a better game than the other.
It was the day for the Lions and they found a way to outplay us.
Hats off to them.

I love that segment and appreciate Mike over Vic.
Mike keeps it real.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is not completely true. McCarthy does have something to do with it. No doubt the Packers were getting beat on individual match ups and that played a big role. Not McCarthy's fault--agreed. But, as Mike Mayock very insightfully pointed out, the power draw and sweep plays were not working at all, yet despite the obvious McCarthy did not change up his play-calling until way late. This is a constant problem with McCarthy and one of the reasons why we fans get so frustrated. When someone says that his game-plans seem so uncreative and vanilla, it's because he so often stubbornly refuses to change his game plan when it's obviously not working. And the offense sputters and stagnates.

Whatever else he is, one thing McCarthy is not is a good game-day coach. He makes poor decisions often and is too slow to change his game plan. It takes him a whole half to do so often times.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That is not completely true. McCarthy does have something to do with it. No doubt the Packers were getting beat on individual match ups and that played a big role. Not McCarthy's fault--agreed. But, as Mike Mayock very insightfully pointed out, the power draw and sweep plays were not working at all, yet despite the obvious McCarthy did not change up his play-calling until way late. This is a constant problem with McCarthy and one of the reasons why we fans get so frustrated. When someone says that his game-plans seem so uncreative and vanilla, it's because he so often stubbornly refuses to change his game plan when it's obviously not working. And the offense sputters and stagnates.

Whatever else he is, one thing McCarthy is not is a good game-day coach. He makes poor decisions often and is too slow to change his game plan. It takes him a whole half to do so often times.

Yep, like Rodgers said. "Adjustments"?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We aren't going up against the Seahawks, Jets, or Lions defensive lines. Arguably those three teams are in the top 5 of the NFL. The Bears have the 23rd ranked defense in yards allowed, 16th against the pass and 26th against the run, but are 11th for points allowed. Conversely they have the worst rushing offense in the league and are 14th in passing. They are tied for 9th in points scored per game. So they aren't getting much yardage but are scoring points. On defense they are giving up a lot of yards but not necessarily a lot of points.

Our problems this year have been about just getting to the red zone. I feel confident that Rodgers can move the ball and score. I'm also confident that we'll see the same old Jay. He'll get his ounce of flesh, but we'll keep the rest of the pound.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need another strong effort from the defense in this game and some creative play calling from MM.

Sure, concentrate on running the ball more effectively but go after their secondary. If you have to use two tight ends for better pass protection, so be it. Attack this Bears weak secondary!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But, as Mike Mayock very insightfully pointed out, the power draw and sweep plays were not working at all, yet despite the obvious McCarthy did not change up his play-calling until way late.
I'm curious: How many times did Rodgers audible out of the play called in the Lions game? For example, did he change the play called that resulted in the safety?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's McGinn's analysis of the Bears. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...nent-chicago-bears-b99357497z1-276878731.html
He begins by writing: "For the third straight game the Green Bay Packers will be playing a team that's either inadequate or depleted by injury in the secondary." And he notes, "The Bears could be without as many as eight starters. Five play defense, including three in the secondary." But the Bears are confident coming off of two consecutive road wins and the Packers are, well you know. Incredibly, the Packers are favored by 1 to 1.5 points in Vegas.
According to T.J. Lang he did.
Shush, I know. As I posted elsewhere I think Rodgers has to share in the blame for those who question play calling. Unless they know how Rodgers is restricted from changing the call.

Last edited:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious: How many times did Rodgers audible out of the play called in the Lions game? For example, did he change the play called that resulted in the safety?

Good question. One that I'm curious about as well. Unfortunately none of the analyses mention that. We like to paint a picture of McCarthy as the conservative one holding Rodgers back. That may not be so true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Good question. One that I'm curious about as well. Unfortunately none of the analyses mention that.

Here's what Tom Silverstein had to say about the play which resulted in the safety:

The Lions, having just given the ball up
on an interception, are supremely confident in their run defense, so they keep both safeties back and try to defend the Packers’seven blockers with seven defenders. They are in a base 4-3 alignment with DTs Nick Fairley (98) and C.J. Mosley (99) anchoring the
middle and Jason Jones (91) and George Johnson (93) on the ends. The Lions leave themselves vulnerableon the right edge because if Nelson executes his block on CB Darius Slay (23) Lacy could be one-on-one with the safety.

At first glance, pulling the guards and expecting things to go smoothly in a compressed area down at the 1-yard line seems like wishful thinking. But Aaron Rodgers correctly reads that the two defensive tackles have the guards covered and there’s a chance for Lacy to get outside.“It was just something that Aaron saw from the defense and called the play,”Lang said.“If that guy didn’t blitz the gap then it would have been a pretty good play. It’s not something
you see too often (pulling guards at the 1), but it wasn’t the play call that was
at fault, it was the execution.”Lang blamed himself for not making the
block. Actually, the Packers could have survived Levy attacking the hole the way he did – and benefited from it ultimately – if Jones hadn’t blown Richard Rodgers 2 yards into the backfield.The rookie was hit so hard his arms flailed as he tried to regain balance. Lacy ran right into Rodgers’ back, taking a little leap, presumably to try to get airborne and over the goal-line. If Rodgers holds the point, Lacy probably runs past or breaks the tackle of Levy and is off to the races. Nelson has Slay walled off and so it would have been just Lacy and S Glover Quin (27). Lacy could have tried harder to get out of the end zone, perhaps trying to reach the ball over the goal-line.“Total momentum swing back to Detroit,”coach Mike McCarthy said of the safety.

Reaction score
I don't card how it gets done.. I'm running out of excuses. I wanna see a complete all around performance to soothe my aching pains.
Packers 27 Bears 19

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cutler will throw us a few...he always does. But we have to get this thing going starting now , 1-3 and 0-2 in the division will probably mean we are a wildcard team at best...if we even make the playoffs. MM needs to do better and Rodgers needs to do better. While I don't see MM in the elite coach status Rodgers is elite and has to be on Sunday..but MM can't take the NyQuil approach in his gameplan. Meaning it's not working right now but eventually it will kick in. Packers need to start fast.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
MM needs to do better and Rodgers needs to do better. ...
... and the entire OL has to do better and any WR not named Nelson has to do better and all the TEs have to do better and Lacy has to do better. And a bunch of players on D have to do better.

Reaction score
cutler will throw us a few...he always does. But we have to get this thing going starting now , 1-3 and 0-2 in the division will probably mean we are a wildcard team at best...if we even make the playoffs. MM needs to do better and Rodgers needs to do better. While I don't see MM in the elite coach status Rodgers is elite and has to be on Sunday..but MM can't take the NyQuil approach in his gameplan. Meaning it's not working right now but eventually it will kick in. Packers need to start fast.
Great seasonal analogy! Hahaha

Jason Pipes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still too early to be overly worried. I think this game the offense finally gets going. Lacy goes off against the Bears defense, and Rodgers picks apart their depleted secondary. It will be a higher scoring game. I predict Packers win 34-28.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think someone should McCarthy a Xanax and have him "sit on the bench" and let Rodgers call the plays.

Members online

Latest posts