Official Packers-Vikings week round one

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LOL DNA, I agree with you, I love talking Free Agency and wished the Packers were a bit more active in it...a big tool missing from TT's box IMO...I was trying to be funny in pointing that fact out. I wasn't trying to say WE can't discuss it, more then I was saying it's like talking about Unicorns when it comes to the Packers signing a FA (other then their own).

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Out: Jared Abbrederis

Questionable: Micah Hyde, T.J. Lang, Ty Montgomery

Probable: Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiari, Bryan Bulaga, Morgan Burnett, Jayrone Elliott, James Jones, Eddie Lacy, Clay Matthews, Mike Neal, Nick Perry, Josh Sitton

D

Deleted member 6794

For the Vikings only safety Robert Blanton and OT Matt Kalil are questionable.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something that always bugged me with the Vikes. Even when they played on that crappy stuff in the dome, they always seemed to be in good health when they play us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Heh, forgot about him. Gotta be hard finding out just before a playoff game that you'll be playing without a QB.
But in general, doesn't it seem they have better health than us when we meet?

Captain? The Stats please.... ;)

Right now, it seems like everyone is healthier (and better) then us, just saying. I'm sure Raptor will have the numbers if Captain doesn't.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Right now, it seems like everyone is healthier (and better) then us, just saying. I'm sure Raptor will have the numbers if Captain doesn't.
I don't. But the fact that the Packers have so many injuries year in and year out is kinda funny. Make me wonder about their training department. I do know that in the last few years the Vikings have changed the way the players lift weights and work out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't. But the fact that the Packers have so many injuries year in and year out is kinda funny. Make me wonder about their training department. I do know that in the last few years the Vikings have changed the way the players lift weights and work out.

Hamstrings were in vogue for awhile in GB, now it seems to be ankles and shoulders. I don't follow other teams close enough to know, but I for one am not going to blame our last 3 loses on injuries, that is what your quality depth is suppose to cover. I believe the Packers in 2010 put like 16 on IR and still won the SuperBowl.

Obviously a key injury to a key person like AR can cost games.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings have been a pretty healthy team over the last four years as they've finished in the top 10 in adjusted games lost in every single season since 2011.

While the Packers finished in 3rd last season being extremely healthy they've finished 30th or worst in three of the last five years.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have been a pretty healthy team over the last four years as they've finished in the top 10 in adjusted games lost in every single season since 2011.

While the Packers finished in 3rd last season being extremely healthy they've finished 30th or worst in three of the last five years.

Wow. Just...wow.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome, Cheeeeeeese.
You're right, and the Vikings have plenty of both. And more of both than the Packers, I'm afraid.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't see the Vikings being overconfident. This game is way too important for them. They win and they're in command of the NFC North for the first time in ages. They must be stoked as hell for this game.
One thing Zimmer has been pushing on them from day one. One game at a time. And what they did last week has nothing to do with this week. The most important thing is this. Last year the players were not sure about Zimmers plan. This year, they have all "bought" into it. When your players believe in what you are doing, and they see results, it makes them want to play harder. Zimmer also does not wait until half time to make defensive adjustments. Since he calls the defensive plays, if something is not working, he will change it up in a heartbeat.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just looking at the games of this week, and it is unbelievable how the whole playoff picture could turn in an instant from this week and how many teams' seasons are possibly on the line just from this week. I mean no guarantees of anything per se, but looking at some of the games in the big picture, crazy to think what could happen. Not only do we need to win this game to probably be able to ultimately win the division, there are a lot of other things at play here.

Take the Broncos and Bears' game for instance. Aside from Osweiler's start, Bears have a chance to break even and win the total amount of games they won all of last year with a win there. Broncos meanwhile are trying to stay in the hunt for a bye in the playoffs and keep pace to possibly get ahead of the Bengals. No Peyton and coming off a rough one last week and against John Fox their old coach, oh boy. If we lose this Sunday and Chicago beats Denver, that game Thanksgiving night takes on a whole new meaning.

Indy at Atlanta, that's a big one too, huge for both teams. Luck's injury taking him out of this one and the Texans' win against Cincy last Monday could drastically turn the tide here. Atlanta needs this one bad, not only to stay up to pace with Carolina but to get their confidence back and just as the Bears have a big one that could potentially put them within a game of us, Tampa Bay is right behind them and will be right on their backs if they beat Philly and the Falcons lose to the Colts, this game is going to have real potential to shake up the south.

Jets at Texans also has big playoff and divisional implications on it. Texans would either keep pace with Indy or take outright possession of the south with a win, and that's with Yates starting. A Jets win meanwhile would not only still keep the wildcard in the East, but might even vault them in the sole spot with Pitt, assuming Buffalo lost to New England. Although either way the date in Buffalo for the season finale just very well could be for making the playoffs if both the Jets and Bills win this week.

Tampa Bay at Philadelphia is also going to have big playoff implications. A game that has playoff implications riding on it like never before, a win for Tampa Bay here, then going on the road against what will probably still be a Luck-less Colts team, winning these 2 could make the game against Atlanta at home Dec 6, a playoff deciding match. Philly also cannot afford to lose this. If they win, they stay tied with the Giants, but if they lose, I think their season is over because after this, they play Detroit but after that, the Pats, the Bills, the Cardinals, all of which they could lose and if they do, at 5-9 at that point, their season is over. This game could make or break both teams' seasons.

Washington at Carolina, now I've been saying in the chat that I think the Redskins cause the upset because they are a talented 4-5 team and they just seem due for a road win and a marquee one at that, and the pressure mounting on Carolina. But this game too could really propel the Redskins if they win. Not only would a Panthers' loss plus a Falcons win tighten up the NFC South again, the Redskins would also tie the Giants at 5-5, and the game against them at home next week would be for the division. The Redskins would be hot and even though they have to play the Cowboys 2x, Romo has a history of playing awful against Washington when they're hot and all the upcoming games for the Redskins after these next 2 weeks look very favorable for them.

And of course Cincinnati at Arizona, both teams fighting to hang on for the number 2 seeds in their respective conferences for the moment at least, and indeed this game probably will be critical down the stretch. Implications becoming even greater affected by what happens in Minneapolis and Chicago.

This week is indeed where things start taking major shape in this league.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Exactly what we said at this time last week about the Detroit game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Are we holding our own, yet?

Oddly, the Edmund Fitzgerald sank on my 17th birthday. That would be Mike McCarthy's 12th birthday? ... I think a better comparison might be that is also the birthday of the US Marine Corps ... so Semper Fi brother... haha... the sinking ship metaphor is a bad...bad...place to be. :rolleyes:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If losing to the Lions at home does not light a fire in the Packer's ***, I do not know what will.

Sometimes, just lighting a fire under some of these guys' @$$ isn't going to be good enough ... some of these guys, I'm afraid, some of the guys need their @$$ lit on fire. There's a difference.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How they match up. The Packers 12th ranked offense vs the Vikings' 2nd ranked defense. Minnesota's 23rd ranked offense vs Green Bay's 11th ranked defense.

The Vikings come ranked 22nd in scoring (22.9 ppg) and 29th in yards (328.6 ypg.) They are 31st in passing yards (228 ypg) and in td passes (7). They've thrown 6 INTs and had their quarterback sacked 24 times.

Against this the Packers defense is 23rd in yards (371.5 ypg) and 11th in scoring defense (20.5 ppg.) The Packers have the league's 21st ranked pass defense (255.3 ypg) and yds per completion (6.6 per attempt.) They have allowed 11 td passes and intercepted the oppostion 11 times and registered 23 sacks.

Minnesota has the league's top ranked rushing team (147.2 ypg) and are 3rd in yds. per attempt (4.8) and 9th in rushing touchdowns (9). Against this the Packers defense is 24th against the run (116.2 ypg) and allowing 4.2 yds per attempt and 8 rushing td's.

The Packers are averaging 24.3 ppg (11th) and 344.2 ypg (21st) so far this season. The Vikings are allowing opponents 17.1 ppg (2nd) and 336.5 ypg (9th.)

Green Bay is an uncharacteristic 22nd in passing (236.3 ypg) but is averaging 6.3 yds. per attempt and has 21 td's and only 3 INTs. Aaron Rodgers has been sacked 24 times.

Minnesota's pass defense is 8th in yardage (228 ypg) has allowed 11 td passes, intercepted only 6, given up 6.1 yds per attempt and sacked the other team's qb 21 times.

On the ground the Vikings have the league's 16th ranked run defense (108.5 ypg) against the Packers' 16th ranked rushing attack (108 ypg.) The Packers are averaging 4.3 ypc while the Vikings are allowing 4.4 ypc. The Packers have rushed for 8 td's this season and the Vikings have allowed 7 rushing td's.

In a close game special teams could be decisive. The Packers' Tim Masthay is averaging 43.5 yds. per punt this season, with a long of 56. Minnesota's Jeff Locke is averaging 41.8 with a long of 61.

Green Bay's Mason Crosby is 12 of 14 on field goals(85.7%) and 23 of 23 on extra points. The Vikings' Blair Walsh is 22 of 26 on fg's(84.6%) and 16 of 18 on PATs.Crosby is 2 of 3 from 50+ yds., 3 0f 4 from 40-49. Walsh has connected on 2 of 3 from 50+ and 5 of 6 from 40-49.

The Vikings have been dangerous on returns this year. They have returned two punts/kickoffs for td's, average 10.9 yds. on punt returns and 26.5 on kickoffs. Their long punt return is 65 yds. and long kick return is 93.

The Packers' coverage units have allowed 5.4 yds per return punting and 25.5 on kickoffs. While no one has returned a punt or kick for a td against Green Bay this season there was that 101 yds gaffe against Detroit last week.

The Pack's own return game this season has been nothing to brag about. Just 5.8 yds per return on punts and 24.6 on kickoffs, with a long punt return of 16 yds and a long kick return of 46. No returns for td's.

Minnesota's coverage is allowing opponents only 4.3 yds on punt returns and 24 on kickoffs and has given up no td returns.

These two clubs have 7 common opponents this season with 5 having the same home or away location. The Packers are 5-2 in those games while the Vikes are 6-2. Both lost at Denver, though Minnesota played a more competitive game by comparison and also played better at home against San Diego. The Packers won more decisively over Chicago, Kansas City and St.Louis. I won't mention San Francisco if they don't bring up Detroit.

Minnesota is undefeated in 4 home games this season. The Packers are 2-2 on the road.

Last edited:

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm extremely unexcited about next week. After watching the Vikings dominate a better than average Raiders team in Oakland, I have little to no confidence in the Packers next week. This team has quickly gone from a #1 seed and clear NFC Super Bowl favorite to a possible Wild Card team.
I agree.... remember this: Even last year, when we had the best team in the NFL the last half the year, we lost road games against good teams, or defenses. This year, same thing, and we even lose at home. Against crappy team. 6-4 and ESPN & NFL Network features all week long leading to the Thursday night game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing for me is that there are weaknesses being exposed that weren't showing up- such as problems at WR that are now being exposed since losing Nelson- to chronic problems, such as ILB , which is still waiting for an answer.
IMO, we're seeing a team that is again in 'the discussion', but isn't top tier.

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing for me is that there are weaknesses being exposed that weren't showing up- such as problems at WR that are now being exposed since losing Nelson- to chronic problems, such as ILB , which is still waiting for an answer.
IMO, we're seeing a team that is again in 'the discussion', but isn't top tier.
True, but last year we WERE top tier, and still found a way to not win it all, or get there.... we do not have to be the best team in November or December, or even January, to win a Super Bowl. We weren't in that 2010 season either.

We just have to find a way to get there, and win the games.

I believe every ill can be resolved but only IF they figure out how to get a deep threat on the field, and hitting on occasion.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll have to just do it, C&T. Even if it's missing, they have to give the opponent another element to respect.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have upgraded Micah Hyde and T.J. Lang to probable but downgraded Ty Montgomery to doubtful.

In addition the team has added Damarious Randall to the injury report who is questionable because of a hamstring injury.

Members online

Latest posts