Official Packers-Vikings week round one

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Apparently you haven't been paying attention. According to some, the Vikings are overachieving and haven't played anyone this year. Even though 7 of their games were against the same teams the Packer played this year. :)

Raptor, FWIW ... I'm not thinking the Vikes are going to go away easily...that Pack fans would like to believe that they will now start their annual slide into oblivion. That team is well coached and talented and will continue to be a blister on the Pack's @$$ this season and next.

While I believe the Pack's game plan had a lot to do with the Vike's showing on Sunday - I don't see that loss as indicative of what to expect from that team. I was reading the Pioneer Press and Star Trib's commentary yesterday ... WOW ... pretty brutal.

As much as I don't want to see that team again ...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the last 32 games, the Packer have beaten 3 teams with winning records. 0 in 2013, 3 in 2014, and 0 in 2015.
Luckily I track this on a spreadsheet so I know the facts. I don't know where you got that stat Raptorman but it seriously off base, either on purpose or otherwise:

2013 Wins:
> Week 5 win over 3-1 Lions
> Week 6 win over 3-2 Ravens
> Week 15 win over 7-6 Cowboys
> Week 17 win over 8-7 Bears

2014 Wins:
> Week 2 win over 1-0 Jets
> Week 4 win over 2-1 Bears
> Week 7 win over 3-2-1 Panthers
> Week 11 win over 7-2 Eagles
> Week 13 win over 9-2 Patriots
> Week 17 win over 11-4 Lions

2015 Wins:
> Week 11 win over 7-2 Vikings

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I re-watched the first half of the game again last night zeroing in on Tretter and I was, as I expected, impressed. He doesn’t have Linsley’s strength (Larry McCarren has noted how often Linsley’s targets end up on the turf) but as McGinn writes, he really got to the second level easily and frequently hit two defenders. I only saw one play I’d characterize as bad. Here’s a couple of quotes from McGinn’s rating the Packers at the Vikings column:
When Corey Linsley (ankle) went out after 12 plays, the call went to JC Tretter, who had played two snaps from scrimmage (LG) this year. Linval Joseph, a premier nose tackle, suddenly became his responsibility. Tretter was impressive. He showed the quickness and footwork to reach 1- and 2-techniques. He flashed quickness to the LB level, especially smothering MLB Eric Kendricks about five times, and good snap and punch. His numbers (one pressure, partial involvement in four "bad" runs) were reasonable for a 65-snap effort with minimal practice time.
As McGinn notes, Raji, Daniels, and Datone really stood out on D. If you have the game recorded, look at the Vikings second play from scrimmage (the first was a penalty against them): Raji blew up the RG about as well as you'll ever see.
Datone Jones had a career game with two sacks, two knockdowns and two hurries in just 31 snaps. His day included 22 as a DE and nine as an OLB in both nickel and dime packages. Together with Raji and Daniels, his level of effort was high.
McGinn's ratings columns are always a good read IMO (unless you're too depressed after a game like the Lions last week.)
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-vikings-b99621328z1-353122831.html

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very impressed with the job Tretter did coming in cold.
TJV, I also noticed McGinn 's comments on Bak and his problems with his hand placement. I'd noticed this in earlier games, and McGinn had commented on it also earlier in the season. Fortunately this is a very fixable, coachable issue, but why isn't he getting it after over 2 1/2 seasons?

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. According to some, the Vikings are overachieving and haven't played anyone this year. Even though 7 of their games were against the same teams the Packer played this year. :)

The two teams the Packers have played and the Vikings haven't have a combined record of 15-5 with one of them being the two time defending NFC champion and the other being the only unbeaten in the conference. On the other side the Vikings have played two other teams with a losing record combining for seven wins.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
TJV, I also noticed McGinn 's comments on Bak and his problems with his hand placement. I'd noticed this in earlier games, and McGinn had commented on it also earlier in the season. Fortunately this is a very fixable, coachable issue, but why isn't he getting it after over 2 1/2 seasons?
Yes, McGinn mentioned Bakhtiari's lazy hand placement in his rating column after the Chiefs game. As to why he hasn't corrected it is a good question. For someone lacking ideal physical attributes for an NFL LT, technique is even more important than for other LTs. He seems to be smart, coachable, and dedicated so it's a mystery why he hasn't cleaned that up.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luckily I track this on a spreadsheet so I know the facts. I don't know where you got that stat Raptorman but it seriously off base, either on purpose or otherwise:

2013 Wins:
> Week 5 win over 3-1 Lions
> Week 6 win over 3-2 Ravens
> Week 15 win over 7-6 Cowboys
> Week 17 win over 8-7 Bears

2014 Wins:
> Week 2 win over 1-0 Jets
> Week 4 win over 2-1 Bears
> Week 7 win over 3-2-1 Panthers
> Week 11 win over 7-2 Eagles
> Week 13 win over 9-2 Patriots
> Week 17 win over 11-4 Lions

2015 Wins:
> Week 11 win over 7-2 Vikings

You can add another win in 2014 - beating the Cowboys in the playoffs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings were exactly as those of us in the know predicted (37-20 for this genius; I'll take the 17 pt margin as evidence). On to the rest of the season..... The division will be decided far before the last game of the season; but it will be nice to relax at Lambeau with the division (and first round bye) wrapped up with the Yikes in town.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this a Vikings site?? The Vikings suck. End of discussion. Next game, please.

Latest posts