official Jimmy Graham signed

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was just going to say, "in a perfect draft and develop world" that is what you hope for, but swhtset chimed in already. :)

If you look at what the Packers have been attempting at CB, you see where a few failed picks and/or career ending injuries (Shields) set you back. Same could be said at a few other positions. WR seems to be a nice hit with Adams, but since then nothing and now we are looking at what happens when all those pics and UDFA's don't pan out.

While it's nice to hit on both edge and CB in the draft, since having to do so in Free Agency is very expensive, the Packers are running out of time to start hitting in the draft on either position and that need is already past gone at CB and very close at Edge.
I'd point out that the receiver situation was fairly predictable.... Adams worked out and he was second round pick... all the other receivers that the packers have tried... were late founders of undrafted free agents....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd point out that the receiver situation was fairly predictable.... Adams worked out and he was second round pick... all the other receivers that the packers have tried... were late founders of undrafted free agents....

Agreed, but you still would hope that at least one hits for your #3. Maybe GMO is that guy, I guess we will see in 2018. Yancey is still lurking, but that has to be a disappointing 5th rounder so far. Monty, being a 3rd rounder is a disappointment in the way of WR. Now that I go back and look at the Packer draft history, besides James Jones in the 3rd round, they have not hit on any WR's 4th round and later until you go back to 1999 and Donald Driver. I guess we used up all our luck with Driver. :)

I'm starting to think that once we get into the 4th round, we should just start drafting offensive lineman, seems that is the one positional area that the mid to late round picks have worked out for us. OK....Hyde and Mike Daniels, in case someone wants to call me out. :D

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they have blown it or go on to blow it with these guys on rookie contracts, that becomes an issue. I really liked Biegel in college and I think he flashed a bit as a rookie. He didn't see nearly enough time to say one way or the other. I think he has a real shot at being in a rotation with Perry and another player, hopefully to be drafted this year. This issue is one of the reasons why Harold Landry is an attractive option at #19.

In general, there is way too much hand-wringing and feigned mastery of the Packers cap. They're one of the best in the league at managing it, they aren't in trouble according to basically any knowledgeable source, and the internet is full of fans who seem to think they understand the workings of cap management better than they really do.

Turning into a Cowboys fan, huh?

Over my dead body.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, but you still would hope that at least one hits for your #3. Maybe GMO is that guy, I guess we will see in 2018. Yancey is still lurking, but that has to be a disappointing 5th rounder so far. Monty, being a 3rd rounder is a disappointment in the way of WR. Now that I go back and look at the Packer draft history, besides James Jones in the 3rd round, they have not hit on any WR's 4th round and later until you go back to 1999 and Donald Driver. I guess we used up all our luck with Driver. :)

I'm starting to think that once we get into the 4th round, we should just start drafting offensive lineman, seems that is the one positional area that the mid to late round picks have worked out for us. OK....Hyde and Mike Daniels, in case someone wants to call me out. :D

By and large, 5-7th round is just preferred UDFA range. Historically, total crap shoot. That's why BB (the GOAT) so often trades his late round picks. Don't expect much in that range, just niche players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
By and large, 5-7th round is just preferred UDFA range. Historically, total crap shoot. That's why BB (the GOAT) so often trades his late round picks. Don't expect much in that range, just niche players.
BB the guy who found Brady in the 6th and Edelman in the 7th? ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BB the guy who found Brady in the 6th and Edelman in the 7th? ;)

Yup. Even after that he still loves to trade 5th round picks bc the players you get in the 6th and 7th are about the same level when you're picking towards the end of the round.

H

HardRightEdge

I can't say that those veterans (Matthews, Cobb, Bulaga) can contribute to a good season while also saying that they probably won't be extended again because of their age? That's weird, because I feel like I am currently saying that.
I think you were saying that. I would not say that's especially weird because it is a not uncommon "win now" sentiment where the current year is viewed through rose colored glasses and blinders are applied for anything thereafter.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think you were saying that. I would not say that's especially weird because it is a not uncommon "win now" sentiment where the current year is viewed through rose colored glasses and blinders are applied for anything thereafter.

You explain to me just how I am doing that. Is it because I called out your chicken little ******** about the 2019 FA’s?

H

HardRightEdge

Oh, then it must be the 3rd contracts for the veterans... because the Packers are so fond of those.
Like Wilkerson, you mean? I guess that would be the 4th. contract. Actually, I can't think of one off hand for 2019. Might as well cut Ryan now, by the way, if he's expendable. That's about $2 mil in cap savings, $1.5 mil over a low pick or UDFA replacement.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Like Wilkerson, you mean? I guess that would be the 4th. contract. Actually, I can't think of one off hand for 2019. Might as well cut Ryan now, by the way, if he's expendable. That's about $2 mil in cap savings, $1.5 mil over a low pick or UDFA replacement.

Where is the “confused nonsense” button?

D

Deleted member 6794

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say this team can win with Cobb, Matthews, Bulaga, Wilkinson in 2018 and then say their departure does not create big holes. If you don't think you can win with them, then their $30 mil cap space spend this year should have gone toward the future. Back out the Graham deal and it would be $50 mil to put toward the future. Now you're projecting a big year for Clinton-Dix which brings with it a big contract next year where cap will be limited even with those first 4 guys gone?

It's possible that the Packers need Cobb, Matthews, Bulaga and Wilkerson to win this season but develop players that could adequately replace those veterans in 2019 while being paid significantly less money.

While I understand it's unrealistic to expect that to happen at each of the positions mentioned there's definitely a chance that some of them could be addressed with cheaper options.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I highly doubt that another team offered Graham significantly more money than for what he signed for with the Packers.

No clue, I was just repeating what he said in the interview. I wouldn't say that it wasn't possible that another team offered him more money, nor that he chose Green Bay over that team for the opportunity to play with #12 and a winning organization. Whatever his interpretation of the word "substantial" is on him.

Staff online

Members online