official Jimmy Graham signed

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a new GM on the way and free agency just around the corner, I wanted to see what people would think of the Packers pursuing Jimmy Graham in free agency. It's being reported that Seattle is unlikely to bring him back.

Graham won't be cheap, but his value hasn't risen significantly since his last 4/40 contract signed in New Orleans before he was traded. At his age and level of production, I would guess he's in line for a similar contract this time around.

He seemed to be somewhat misused in Seattle but still pulled in 10 TDs in 2017. He could finally give Rodgers that big redzone TE he's lacked for most of his career which would be a big benefit in helping us turn some of those FGs into touchdowns.

This would also give us more flexibility in the draft to generally focus on defense again. Thoughts?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I don’t think Jimmy Graham is worth the money. I would address TE early in the draft.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a new GM on the way and free agency just around the corner, I wanted to see what people would think of the Packers pursuing Jimmy Graham in free agency. It's being reported that Seattle is unlikely to bring him back.

Graham won't be cheap, but his value hasn't risen significantly since his last 4/40 contract signed in New Orleans before he was traded. At his age and level of production, I would guess he's in line for a similar contract this time around.

He seemed to be somewhat misused in Seattle but still pulled in 10 TDs in 2017. He could finally give Rodgers that big redzone TE he's lacked for most of his career which would be a big benefit in helping us turn some of those FGs into touchdowns.

This would also give us more flexibility in the draft to generally focus on defense again. Thoughts?
It's the obvious but will they do it no

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DEFINITELY. He is the type of TE we've been missing since Jermichael Finley was on the team. Which also just so happens to be the last time that our offense was dumb potent/explosive. Graham gives us a TE that can effectively operate in the "Dakota" formation that MM uses often because he is essentially an oversized WR who has to be a TE. 12 AND 13 personnel packages could greatly confuse defenses based on matchup problems by signing Graham as well. That's exactly up MM's wheelhouse. We need to go after him.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too expensive for presumably being a short term rental. It's not ideal, but I'd rather have the Packers draft a TE in the 1st instead of signing Graham.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How old is Graham? Can he block at all? I saw him make some very good catches this year. I think he is one of the elite pass catching tight ends. Would be an amazing addition. Still would like us to draft a small, speedy, quick slot receiver with great hands in the 3rd or 4th.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always, for the right price. He's not a guy I would target and go after to try and win a bidding war for. But there's a lot that depends on so much other stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to putting more money towards a pass catcher, but then we have to do something with the ones we have now. I don't think Jordy is done, I don't think Cobb is an automatic cut, restructure or trade in the offseason either. If he wants to come for 3 or 4 million sure. 6-8? let someone else pay it. 4 is even high for what he's been producing lately. he's a few years and an big injury removed from his 80-90 catch and 1000 yard seasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree with Mondio, at the right price. Graham just turned 31, so he is only 4 months older than Mo Bennett, who the Packers were willing to pay $21M on a 3 year deal. I do think the Packers have to go after a top TE though and the "early list" of FA TE's is pretty sparse of quality TE's, so I would be fine with $5-6M for Graham. Kendricks and Rodgers are at best #2 and #3's at the position.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Don't want him and we don't need him. Not even at 4-5 million range for a year. He drops balls, can't block and acts like he won the Super Bowl after making a routine 1st down catch. He is a soft *** dome player. Seattle wants this guy out of there. We can do better.

Draft Troy Fumagalli in 3rd round or trade up in late 2nd if necessary. Keep RR and give Kendricks another year in system.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Fumagalli Time" :cool:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't want him and we don't need him. Not even at 4-5 million range for a year. He drops balls, can't block and acts like he won the Super Bowl after making a routine 1st down catch. He is a soft *** dome player. Seattle wants this guy out of there. We can do better.

Draft Troy Fumagalli in 3rd round or trade up in late 2nd if necessary. Keep RR and give Kendricks another year in system.

If we went the draft route, he would be my choice as well, although I really like Hurst out of S. Carolina. But it would probably take a 1st rounder to get him.

I love "Fuuuume". He played pretty beat up this year, so that could drop him down in the draft for sure. I just wonder how ready he or any rookie TE will be to jump right in to the Packer offense and contribute in 2018.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy is funny and, imho, a prime example why FA is risky.

He's a dynamic, big play tight end. Good enough to be a difference maker. HOWEVER, he has his limitations. He's lacking as a blocker. He's getting older and is starting to show wear and tear. If he was really a superstar, Seattle wouldn't let him get to FA.

I'd be happy to sign him to M.B. money with the understanding that it's more of a 2 year rental than 3-4 year thing. But no more.

Reaction score

Be careful.
Remember Ron Dyne?
Run his @ss off in Madison, went to the pros, and fell on his @ss.

scrummymustard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love it. Seattle used him terribly as a hand in the dirt TE. He would be dynamite in this offense.

He's an automatic 10 TDs with Rodgers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Dayne would actually be that great in the pro's. There have been plenty from WI that have gone on to be pretty good from all over the field. Even some TE's. Fletcher was a good back, Moss had of the field problems. White has been OK, Monte also had off field issues and distractions. Couldn't hang on to the ball either in the pros for some reason. Gordon is pretty dang good by any measure in the pro's. anyway, Fumagali I think is going to be a pretty solid TE. he has all the tools and seems to be a hard worker. I'm not going to bet against him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Be careful.
Remember Ron Dyne?
Run his @ss off in Madison, went to the pros, and fell on his @ss.

Why would anyone use one guy to eliminate every player that comes out of that school? If that were the case, they might as well shut the NFL draft down. Do I need to provide a list of all the successful players that came out Wisconsin?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will say one thing about drafting RB's out of Wisconsin, you always have to factor in the Offensive Line they were running behind. The Badgers are pretty notorious for having solid O-Lines, many of them ending up in the NFL themselves. I still think Ron Dayne could have been much better in the NFL, but I honestly think he probably didn't put in the work it takes to make the transition from college to the Pro's and he fell into the Eddie Lacy trap with his weight.

Right now I have my eyes on Freshman sensation Jonathan Taylor. If you watch him run, he is really hard to bring down and if he gets to the second level, watch out. Guessing he will be in the 2019 draft.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say one thing about drafting RB's out of Wisconsin, you always have to factor in the Offensive Line they were running behind. The Badgers are pretty notorious for having solid O-Lines, many of them ending up in the NFL themselves. I still think Ron Dayne could have been much better in the NFL, but I honestly think he probably didn't put in the work it takes to make the transition from college to the Pro's and he fell into the Eddie Lacy trap with his weight.

Right now I have my eyes on Freshman sensation Jonathan Taylor. If you watch him run, he is really hard to bring down and if he gets to the second level, watch out. Guessing he will be in the 2019 draft.
If I was the Packers GM I would draft every lineman out of Wisconsin, I don't think you could go wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would anyone use one guy to eliminate every player that comes out of that school? If that were the case, they might as well shut the NFL draft down. Do I need to provide a list of all the successful players that came out Wisconsin?
WI has a lot of players at every position in the NFL with successful careers. Watt, Casilias, Fredrick, Levy, Maragos, Schoebert, Joe Thomas, Owen Daniels and quite a few others. That's just off the top of my head. A lot of guys that were solid team guys, and a lot of very good, best in their position guys too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
WI has a lot of players at every position in the NFL with successful careers. Watt, Casilias, Fredrick, Levy, Maragos, Schoebert, Joe Thomas, Owen Daniels and quite a few others. That's just off the top of my head. A lot of guys that were solid team guys, and a lot of very good, best in their position guys too

Don't forget Ken Bowman, Mike Webster, Tim Krumrie, Al Toon, Troy Vincent, Joe Panos, Cory Raymer, Mark Tauscher, Michael Bennett, Chris Chambers, Chris Borland.....oh and Russell Wilson. :coffee:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's almost like the people that want to eliminate complete conferences. ;)

But yeah, that's dumb. There are warning signs with Wisconsin RB's, but the same is true of Bama RB's, or Mike Leach QB's. Good players are good players. And Wisconsin has produced a ton of good pro's. I like Fumigali, I think I like the value of a guy like Chris Herndon more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts