Official 2018 Fifth round pick #2 JK Scott - A punter?

PackerinATL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been waiting on a head scratcher...
I’m also a big Bama fan. JK Scott is a FIELD FLIPPER...a player that changes the misfortunes of an offense and puts the defense in tremendous advantages ROUTINELY. He was a big part of Alabama’s succcess and every fan will tell you that. He is a freaking weapon. Anyone who scratches their head at this pick is simply uneducated about him. Also, you will not find a kid with a higher quality of character in the draft. He’s not just a punter...the kid is a leader.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody remember Dave Jennings and Ray Guy? Both routinely pinned offenses deep on their side of the field. Vogel was good but had problems holding for kicks and if this guy is better it's still an improvement and will help the defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because Scott is a lot better. It's a positional upgrade.

I have a hard time understanding why a punter that averaged less yards while playing in the south than Vogel did in Green Bay last season is a huge upgrade.

H

HardRightEdge

I have a hard time understanding why a punter that averaged less yards while playing in the south than Vogel did in Green Bay last season is a huge upgrade.
You should take note of the stats in post #7 above. It's fairly evident he kicked into a short field a high percentage of the time with good success. Kicking in the short field is bound to impact average.

Now, I'm not crazy about the pick but a little perspective is required. When you get down to a 5th. round comp pick, you're getting pretty close to the territory where the differentiation between that pick and a UDFA is need, fit, and eliminating the competitive situation with UDFA players. Some skepticism is certainly warranted with respect to how he'll do in cold weather. Then there are the reports he's had some flubs handling snaps which can also be compounded in cold weather.

Elsewhere, someone noted a rumor that Vogel is not happy with the $1.2 mil total for the remaining two years left on his contract. Who knows what else he's unhappy about? Reisistant to coaching direction, for example? If that is in fact the case, which neither you nor I would know about, this pick is understandable, especially given Vogel's dead cap is a scant $3,334.

I have a hard time getting worked up one way or another.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So the staff assessed the roster, determined for whatever reason that Vogel was not up to snuff, spent a pick in the 170’s on a punter who by all accounts is really good. I fail to see why we should be up in arms about this. Just being realistic here, if Scott is as good as advertised he will have a much bigger impact than virtually everyone else drafted around him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I stated in another thread that there's a rumor going around that Vogel wants a max deal when he's due. I don't think the Packers are on board with that, as evidened by drafting a punter.
Shhhh....

There is only one reason and that's the team lost their marbles

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have always preached, use a late round pick on punters and kickers, if they are head and shoulders above the rest of the group that will end up being UDFA's that you have to compete with other teams to sign.

I was pleased with Vogel last year, his hang time was great, accuracy good and sure a few misses. But it sounds like Gute felt Scott was head and shoulders above Vogel and by using a pick on a guy who improves a position that is solely manned by 1 guy, I am on board.

I also accept the fact that maybe there were some underlying things with Vogel that the Packers didn't like, things we don't see or hear about.

I would much rather see a potential future Pro Bowl Punter selected, than using the pick on JAG's that may never get off the practice squad.

Toss in the fact that we ended up drafting 11 guys, I think you have the luxury of using some picks on special teamers.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we'll all find out in August when the punting competition commences whether it was a wasted pick or not. Personally using a late round pick on a punter/kicker is not a big deal to me.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, just look at what Gute said...

He talked about how they thought he was a rare talent and worth the draft pick. Rare. Talent.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why laugh when people get all excited about compensatory picks. Packers essentially turned Micah Hyde into a punter!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, just look at what Gute said...

He talked about how they thought he was a rare talent and worth the draft pick. Rare. Talent.

Ah yes. That rare punting talent that wasn't even the first Punter picked

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah yes. That rare punting talent that wasn't even the first Punter picked

It was a really stinkin good punters class. Not even joking around.

JK Scott has a career average of over 45 yards AND can kick with over a 5 second hangtime. That. Is. Nuts.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a really stinkin good punters class. Not even joking around.

JK Scott has a career average of over 45 yards AND can kick with over a 5 second hangtime. That. Is. Nuts.

Kinda makes that talent not all that rare doesn't it?

Best case scenario is hes a marginal upgrade over Vogel. People need to stop overhyping this kid

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes good enough isn't good enough...

Good enough is just that, good enough, but better is even better so if Scott is better the team is better. Plus it was a 5th round comp pick and as Poker said he has just as good a chance to improve the team as anyone picked around him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or....Gute enough

You may have started something Poker. Now whenever someone is cut it will be because he wasn't Gute enough. Not sure if you came up with that or you read it somewhere but since I seen it here first I'll give you credit. Its not like I'm going to pay you royalties or anything like that (he says as he heads to the trademark office website)

My first Tshirt will be If you are not Gute enough for the Green Bay Packers there are 31 other teams that will take you.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m also a big Bama fan. JK Scott is a FIELD FLIPPER...a player that changes the misfortunes of an offense and puts the defense in tremendous advantages ROUTINELY. He was a big part of Alabama’s succcess and every fan will tell you that. He is a freaking weapon. Anyone who scratches their head at this pick is simply uneducated about him. Also, you will not find a kid with a higher quality of character in the draft. He’s not just a punter...the kid is a leader.
Damn, reading this, maybe we should have taken him in the first round :eek:

Or maybe the Packers are planning on punting a lot. :p

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You may have started something Poker. Now whenever someone is cut it will be because he wasn't Gute enough. Not sure if you came up with that or you read it somewhere but since I seen it here first I'll give you credit. Its not like I'm going to pay you royalties or anything like that (he says as he heads to the trademark office website)

My first Tshirt will be If you are not Gute enough for the Green Bay Packers there are 31 other teams that will take you.

LOL.....when should I expect my first royalty check? I'm sure Gute has heard it all his life. First from his Mom "Now you be a Gute boy and eat all your Vegetables". Then from his first woman...."Ohhhhh myyyy goooodddd you are Guuuuuuuuuute!"

Members online

No members online now.