Official 2018 Fifth round pick #2 JK Scott - A punter?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant Scott, corrected. Vogel was an UDFA signing last year. While Scott could have been BPA on the board at the time he was picked, I think the Packers had it in their minds that with 12 picks, they were going to try to land a top punter, which leads me to believe that Vogel was on the chopping block, for whatever reasons, before the draft.

It might be noteworthy that the team drafting immediately after The Scott pick by Green Bay (Oakland) had cut their punter prior to the draft, and used that pick to select a punter as well. It could be that Green Bay suspected that the Raiders would take Scott off the board unless they did it first.....

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It might be noteworthy that the team drafting immediately after The Scoot pick by Green Bay (Oakland) had cut their punter prior to the draft, and used that pick to select a punter as well. It could be that Green Bay suspected that the Raiders would take Scott off the board unless they did it first.....

You could be right and adds more fuel to the speculation that this wasn't just the Packers going with BPA. There were 4 punters drafted this year. I had to go back to 1999 to find that many picked in one draft. Packers actually selected Josh Bidwell in the 4th round that year.

D

Deleted member 6794

You could be right and adds more fuel to the speculation that this wasn't just the Packers going with BPA. There were 4 punters drafted this year. I had to go back to 1999 to find that many picked in one draft. Packers actually selected Josh Bidwell in the 4th round that year.

It was only the second time in history and the first since 1982 that two punters were drafted with consecutive picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't think the Packers did themselves any favors by releasing him from his contract.

Well, most likely it isn't a big deal but the Packers releasing Vogel allowed them to sign two tryout players from the rookie camp instead of only one.

They just anbounced they signed LB Greer Martini and TE Ryan Smith.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, most likely it isn't a big deal but the Packers releasing Vogel allowed them to sign two tryout players from the rookie camp instead of only one.

They just anbounced they signed LB Greer Martini and TE Ryan Smith.

I was just "scouting" both of those players lol

Martini is a smart team player, that gives 110%. He can play any LB position but obviously hasn't done a ton.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ryan Smith is a big boy and doesn't get tackled easy. Good solid blocker but can keep the defense honest by sneaking out and catching the ball well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now that's a football player right there.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting enough, especially in regards to EQ, Scott’s Dad designed a workout program for him. They went over it with Alabama and they let him continue to do it there. Talked to Lovat, and they’re gonna let him do it here too.

Punter workouts are different than other positions of course, but interesting factoid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting enough, especially in regards to EQ, Scott’s Dad designed a workout program for him. They went over it with Alabama and they let him continue to do it there. Talked to Lovat, and they’re gonna let him do it here too.

Punter workouts are different than other positions of course, but interesting factoid.

Strength and conditioning has come a long way and what works for one person, may not work for another. I would find it hard to believe that Lovatt is going to have an issue with working with EQ (and his Dad) on a program that works for EQ and one that has the same end goals, getting him ready to be a great WR.

EQ isn't a lazy dumb kid, he might be confident and that can come across as arrogant to some. I will take that kind of attitude over the one that apparently got Randall "reassigned" to Cleveland.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a player JK Scott has turned out to be for the Packers. Changes field position regularly. Haven't seen punting used as a weapon since Craig Hentrich during the Holmgren years, and that is exactly how he used Hentrich. Scott is the best punter I've seen since Ray Guy. I'll never forget marveling at what he could do to change a game.

New nickname for Scott: JK-47

...I take no ownership of that either. Just saw it earlier this morning on the Twit machine and had to share. Kind of fitting, as you'll generally get at the very least 47 yds from him...

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...joying-pro-bowl-caliber-start-to-2019-season/

Last edited:

Latest posts