Official 2018 Fifth round pick #2 JK Scott - A punter?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is why laugh when people get all excited about compensatory picks. Packers essentially turned Micah Hyde into a punter!
and they turned a 5th round pick into Micah Hyde 5 years ago and decided $6M/year wasn't what they wanted to pay him.

Kinda makes that talent not all that rare doesn't it?

Best case scenario is hes a marginal upgrade over Vogel. People need to stop overhyping this kid
Yup, why hype a punter who will probably make the team, as well as improve the team. Much better to hype 5th rounders like Brett Hundley and DeAngelo Yancey. ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A
and they turned a 5th round pick into Micah Hyde 5 years ago and decided $6M/year wasn't what they wanted to pay him.

Yup, why hype a punter who will probably make the team, as well as improve the team. Much better to hype 5th rounders like Brett Hundley and DeAngelo Yancey. ;)
at least nobody ever hyped a 7th rounder like Jeff Janis. :whistling:

Reaction score
I also agree that this was a bit odd because Vogel was pretty decent overall.
I’m all for competition..but I would’ve expected that as a 6th Comp or 7th rounder range. I think we got spooked because of the Seattle pick at Punter earlier that round.
Looking back I probably would’ve picked Duke Ejiofor as he was still available.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would have been fine with the Packers spending a seventh rounder on a punter but would have definitely preferred the team to take a gamble on a prospect at a position of need. Mata'afa comes to mind when thinking about it.

I mean, just look at what Gute said...

He talked about how they thought he was a rare talent and worth the draft pick. Rare. Talent.

Wasn't B.J. Sander considered to be a rare punting talent as well???

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the surface, picking a punter seemed odd to me with how Vogel performed last year. I'm sure there's something cooking behind the scenes or they really feel this guy is a lot better than Vogel. If he's better, than the pick was ok. If he's not, then I guess it's like a lot of other draft picks and it will suck. Wouldn't matter if he was a DB, ILB, DT, OT, WR, etc. when they work out it's great, when they don't it seems like a wasted pick. You pick the guy you feel has the best chance to help your team at the time you have a chance to pick him. That's about all there is to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wasn't B.J. Sander considered to be a rare punting talent as well???

Come on man, you are above cherry picking one guy who didn't work out. ;) Don't make me go postal and find all the guys who did work out or all the picks of non-punters that didn't work out. ;) I will name one guy, he was the first punter ever selected in the first round, Ray Guy. I think they have an award named after him

I still don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over teams using draft picks on Punters and Kickers. It is as if "these people" don't really matter and are after thoughts. I know, most teams find their ace punter or kicker in the UDFA market or off the waiver wires, "just grab one" and when that one doesn't work out, grab another and another.

I guess if you don't value the 2 positions much and think just about any guy can play them, I understand viewing draft picks on them as a waste of resources. For me, I prefer trying to grab the best one in the draft. I don't have a problem using picks that when used on other positions, you are probably lucky if you get a guy that eventually plays in the NFL.

I was satisfied with Vogel, but if there are reasons why the Packers thought Scott will be an upgrade, which you have to assume they view it that way, than I don't have an issue using 1 of our 11 picks on him.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Going to change gears in this thread a little and evaluate JK Scott.

Never in my life have I experienced or observed a punter like JK Scott. As an athletic trainer that works specifically in injury prevention and body mechanics, I have never witnessed an athlete or any non-gymnast or figure skating male over 6’4 with the kind of hamstring flexibility this kid has. From a body mechanics perspective, it is legitimately un heard of. He also does not leave the ground when he punts, which is a massive disadvantage (from a kinetics stand point) of power. However, because he has so much flexibility and range of motion in his kicking leg, the power somehow is being generated significantly from his leg.

Most punters generate power from a transfer of force from the core/hips. Since I have never seen anything like this, I am extremely curious if this kid can be coached up to leave the ground and generate the force he is producing from his kicking leg IN ADDITION to his core/hips through coaching him how to leave the ground when punting. Just speculating here, but if he can be taught that—theoretically—he should be able to kick record breaking punts. I am going to guess that many coaches in his past has tried to generate that out of him and that ruined his form, which is why he punts the way he does.

Looking at this from a different science prospective, because he does not leave the ground his trajectory will be much higher, yielding height and hang time.

Not saying that way he punts is right nor wrong, just saying its extremely unique and could lead to a massive upside or downside. This position battle may be more intriguing to a science nerd like myself, than the wide receiver group.

Last edited:

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[Brief explosion of homerism, optimism, and pollyannaism] This discussion is irrelevant. Our offensive upgrades are so good, we won't be punting this season. Which, I guess, raises another question, is the 5th round too high to select a holder for Mason Crosby's extra points?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also agree that this was a bit odd because Vogel was pretty decent overall.
I’m all for competition..but I would’ve expected that as a 6th Comp or 7th rounder range. I think we got spooked because of the Seattle pick at Punter earlier that round.
Looking back I probably would’ve picked Duke Ejiofor as he was still available.
I would not call it "spooked." The Texas punter had already been picked and then the Raiders picked a punter right after us. That was where they were going. I was not all that comfortable when Vogel was punting last year. He did OK but only OK. imho there won't be that much competition between the two. I am trusting in Gute on this pick. And you will be happy when the ball starts going out at the 10.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to change gears in this thread a little and evaluate JK Scott.

Never in my life have I experienced or observed a punter like JK Scott. As an athletic trainer that works specifically in injury prevention and body mechanics, I have never witnessed an athlete or any non-gymnast or figure skating male over 6’4 with the kind of hamstring flexibility this kid has. From a body mechanics perspective, it is legitimately un heard of. He also does not leave the ground when he punts, which is a massive disadvantage (from a kinetics stand point) of power. However, because he has so much flexibility and range of motion in his kicking leg, the power somehow is being generated significantly from his leg.

Most punters generate power from a transfer of force from the core/hips. Since I have never seen anything like this, I am extremely curious if this kid can be coached up to leave the ground and generate the force he is producing from his kicking leg IN ADDITION to his core/hips through coaching him how to leave the ground when punting. Just speculating here, but if he can be taught that—theoretically—he should be able to kick record breaking punts. I am going to guess that many coaches in his past has tried to generate that out of him and that ruined his form, which is why he punts the way he does.

Looking at this from a different science prospective, because he does not leave the ground his trajectory will be much higher, yielding height and hang time.

Not saying that way he punts is right nor wrong, just saying its extremely unique and could lead to a massive upside or downside. This position battle may be more intriguing to a science nerd like myself, than the wide receiver group.

Think Bryan Angerer kicked the same way.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw this pick live, I raised an eyebrow... but then a bunch of other teams started taking punters and kickers so maybe we got the best of that lot.

But seeing this thread I don't understand all the angst. We ende dup with 11 Picks. let's be honest, we have holes in a lot of places, and we have JAGs at some, but are all 11 going to make the roster? That's why the later rounds is so hard.

(I run into this problem in Madden all the time. I may love tehse late round linebackers, but if I already have 3-4 guys at a position, and I'm not looking to replace anythem why waste the pick.) Punter is different, because its one of the few positions that can have a huge impact in swinging momentum with one play.

I'm more wored about Crosby then Vogel though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm more wored about Crosby then Vogel though.

Your worry about Crosby may just be directly related to why JK Scott was drafted. There were some issues with the holder (Vogel) and long snapper last year, which has a direct impact on Crosby. Part of the reason why the Packers drafted both a punter and a LS may very well be to let Crosby do what he does pretty well, kick a well snapped and held ball. A lot of kicking is a mental game and when your kicker has to worry about those 2 things, it doesn't help him do his job.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some interesting tidbits. Scott definitely kicks for hang time rather than distance. He punted several times with over 5 second hang times at the combine. Once for 5.4 which is absolutely absurd. Thus only 5 of his 54 punts were returned last seasons. 28 of them pinned opponents inside the 20. 27 ended with fair catches. He had only one punt of 60+ yards in 2017, and it rolled a long way. But he had 6 of 60+ in 2016. His hang time is what got him drafted where it did.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
His follow through is really impressive:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some interesting tidbits. Scott definitely kicks for hang time rather than distance. He punted several times with over 5 second hang times at the combine. Once for 5.4 which is absolutely absurd. Thus only 5 of his 54 punts were returned last seasons. 28 of them pinned opponents inside the 20. 27 ended with fair catches. He had only one punt of 60+ yards in 2017, and it rolled a long way. But he had 6 of 60+ in 2016. His hang time is what got him drafted where it did.

It also makes our roster better.

We've used a roster spot on Jeff Janis for the last few years, specifically because he was an outstanding gunner. Wasn't much of a WR, but great gunner. With a guy like Scott, you don't need a great gunner. It allows you to expand by a spot or two what you can do with your roster.

Very valuable.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought this was the way to go. Take the return game away from opposing teams. Plus, we should be able to have 2 guys there ready for a muff - or to smash him if no fair catch.

Same with kickoffs. I would try to land every one at about the 20. Bet you would double the # of turnovers you get as well as reduce opponents average starting field position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I always thought this was the way to go. Take the return game away from opposing teams. Plus, we should be able to have 2 guys there ready for a muff - or to smash him if no fair catch.

Same with kickoffs. I would try to land every one at about the 20. Bet you would double the # of turnovers you get as well as reduce opponents average starting field position.

Gosh if we could only draft a guy that could do that with punts.....oh wait! :coffee:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A punter is a rare leader? Ummmmm I don’t think too many teams look to the punter for leadership... more like.. “hey don’t Ef this up and don’t act like an idiot”

Reaction score
When members of the team have to repeatedly say "Again.. this isn't an indictment on anyone else.. this is competition and it's just part of the business" more than 13 times? and then backs that up by spending a 5th rounder on a P?! That only means one thing.. This is absolutely an indictment on Vogel and he'd better start packing! :laugh:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As little as punters seemed to be valued (they're considered a "waste" of a draft pick), you would think that the level of punting in the NFL would be a lot higher. If it's such an easy job, you'd think teams would be getting pinned inside the 10 routinely.

Also, maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like when I was younger, they used to punt it out of bounds more often. Seemed pretty effective.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like when I was younger, they used to punt it out of bounds more often. Seemed pretty effective.
Not your imagination. I've heard the reason they went away from the coffin corner punt was to force the catch which gives a slight opportunity for the turnover as opposed to zero turnovers out of bounds .

Members online