Official 2018 Fifth round pick #2 JK Scott - A punter?

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually wanted to take a break before posting again to fairly evaluate the entire draft class but that move changed my mind.

With Vogel having had a solid season in 2017 it's absolutely mind-boggling that Gutekunst felt the need to draft a punter in the fifth round. Especially as the Packers still have some other positions to address the team should definitely have taken a gamble on a different prospect.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually wanted to take a break before posting again to fairly evaluate the entire draft class but that move changed my mind.

With Vogel having had a solid season in 2017 it's absolutely mind-boggling that Gutekunst felt the need to draft a punter in the fifth round. Especially as the Packers still have some other positions to address the team should definitely have taken a gamble on a different prospect.

I have liked this draft a lot but this move didn't make sense to me just because Vogel seemed good enough

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Head scratcher for me. This move would have made more sense in the last draft, since we needed a better punter. While Scott sounds like an excellent punter and I am all about trying to have a great punter, I was pretty happy with Schum Vogel. Maybe there is more to the story than we know at this time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Head scratcher for me. This move would have made more sense in the last draft, since we needed a better punter. While Scott sounds like an excellent punter and I am all about trying to have a great punter, I was pretty happy with Schum. Maybe there is more to the story than we know at this time.

I'm quite sure you were happy with Vogel last season ;) Although I have to admit Schum didn't make any glaring mistakes while being on injured reserve.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this punter is a heck of a lot better than Vogel; then it was a very good pick. And from what some of you have been saying or quoting, he has probably a stronger leg, better hang time and able to place the ball better. Can't scoff at field position.

D

Deleted member 6794

If this punter is a heck of a lot better than Vogel; then it was a very good pick. And from what some of you have been saying or quoting, he has probably a stronger leg, better hang time and able to place the ball better. Can't scoff at field position.

The Packers ranked 11th on net punting average last season. There was no reason to spend a fifth rounder on the position.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What's mind boggling to me is the things you find mind boggling :D

D

Deleted member 6794

What's mind boggling to me is the things you find mind boggling :D

Really??? You're on board with selecting a punter in the fifth round after Vogel had a decent rookie season??? That's mind-boggling :D

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Scott is mucho better than Vogel. And I'm a Vogel stan.

2) Scott is also better at holding for kicks.

3) Scott can also kickoff well.

4) 5th round picks don't matter. It's early UDFA. Chill.

5) This will vastly increase our defense. That's a good thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? You're on board with selecting a punter in the fifth round after Vogel had a decent rookie season??? That's mind-boggling :D

Boggles the mind doesn't it?

Its not so much that I am on board with it as I think he has just as much chance to help the team improve as anyone else picked at his spot so it really doesn't matter to me. We will never know if any of the other players we could have taken would have even made the team so I don't feel it is worth getting worked up over. Now if they would have traded up and given up picks to get him or taken him on day 2 then I would probably feel a little differently but maybe, just maybe this guy can put more than 25% of his kicks inside the 20 so he just might be able to help.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy had 5 punts for distance with over 5 seconds of hang time at the combine. Do you know how crazy that is?

This kid is probably a top-10 punter by the end of the year.

D

Deleted member 6794

The guy had 5 punts for distance with over 5 seconds of hang time at the combine. Do you know how crazy that is?

This kid is probably a top-10 punter by the end of the year.

Well, Vogel was close to being a top-10 punter during his rookie season, so what's the point of using a fifth round pick on another???

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question to me is .... could we have used that 5th rounder to move up in rounds 3 or 4 and get...???

H

HardRightEdge

Here are the basic stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jk-scott-3.html

He's got a big leg. Also kicks off.

43.0 in 2017 doesn't look that impressive. However, nfldraftscout.com notes the following:

- only 5 of 54 punts were returned
- 27 dropped inside the 20
- only 4 touchbacks

He evidently messed up some holds and had some shanks over his career.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just love arm chair draft experts .

Maybe something is going on with Vogel. Maybe not happy with him..maybe he wants out of GB..all sorts of reasons.

;)

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love arm chair draft experts .

Maybe something is going on with Vogel. Maybe not happy with him..maybe he wants out of GB..all sorts of reasons.

;)
I stated in another thread that there's a rumor going around that Vogel wants a max deal when he's due. I don't think the Packers are on board with that, as evidened by drafting a punter.

Members online

Latest posts