Official 2018 6th round pick: Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Alexander can return punts, but it’s questionable whether they’re going to want him doing that if he’s a starting corner. You don’t want to expose an important player to injury.

Not so sure about that. Cobb, Hyde and other starters throughout the NFL and the Packers history, have been used returning both punts and kickoffs. If the talent is there use it, until someone else is equal or better. Davis was good returning punts, but was a bad decision maker, so if giving him a spot on the roster is solely to return punts, time to let him go.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. Cobb, Hyde and other starters throughout the NFL and the Packers history, have been used returning both punts and kickoffs. If the talent is there use it, until someone else is equal or better. Davis was good returning punts, but was a bad decision maker, so if giving him a spot on the roster is solely to return punts, time to let him go.

Cobb returned kicks until he became a staple of the offense and after that it was just spot duty as needed. 129 total returns his first two seasons and only 27 in his five seasons since.

Hyde was the ideal guy for that role, IMO. He was a sub package player on defense- useful but not foundational. So the risk of injury on return duty wasn’t as great as it would be to a more central player.

So if Alexander is just a role player as a rookie, sure... put him back there. But if he’s a starting corner, I’ll pass.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander can return punts, but it’s questionable whether they’re going to want him doing that if he’s a starting corner. You don’t want to expose an important player to injury.
oh please no...for the exact reasons you mentioned. remember the catastrophic knee injury cobb bearly avoided?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hyde was the ideal guy for that role, IMO. He was a sub package player on defense- useful but not foundational. So the risk of injury on return duty wasn’t as great as it would be to a more central player.

Come on man, Hyde is a Pro Bowler that the Packers let walk! Maybe had they not used him returning punts, he would have become that player he became in Buffalo while still in Green Bay :whistling:

So if Alexander is just a role player as a rookie, sure... put him back there. But if he’s a starting corner, I’ll pass.
I agree more with this and since I don't fully expect JA to step right in and start, I don't have a problem seeing him being used as a punt returner for awhile. If he turns into a stud starter, than you explore other options.

Maybe I am wrong here and someone will pull out a stat that proves me wrong, but are punt returners really all that much more susceptible to injuries? I just don't recall seeing a lot of guys hurt returning punts and it sounds like some people seem to think its like throwing them into a lion's cage with a whip, a chair and sausages strapped around their waist. I get it, you are exposing them to the chance of an injury, but so is putting them on the practice field. How long was Deon Sanders returning punts during his career?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree more with this and since I don't fully expect JA to step right in and start, I don't have a problem seeing him being used as a punt returner for awhile. If he turns into a stud starter, than you explore other options.

As the 18th Overall Pick, I fully expect him to start; who else is lining up out there instead? Nickel is essentially a starting gig in today's NFL, so I fully expect him out there with Williams. Let Jackson and King duke it out over what's left.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now for more important matters. The guy needs a nickname. Who the hell names their kid "Equinameous"? Does he have a brother named Magnomanisium? Anyway, how about EQ?

If he pans out he should be called...The Equalizer or EQ.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot believe the receivers we ended up with. We are absolutely loaded at WR right now. Gute crushed his first draft. Hats off, now let’s put it all together and get rodgers his second Super Bowl

So hyped for these shiny new receivers

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As the 18th Overall Pick, I fully expect him to start; who else is lining up out there instead? Nickel is essentially a starting gig in today's NFL, so I fully expect him out there with Williams. Let Jackson and King duke it out over what's left.
Never know who will all start at CB, its only April, so there is a lot of time, practices, snaps and injuries between now and opening day. But I do fully expect to see a lot of Williams, King and the 2 rookies.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong here and someone will pull out a stat that proves me wrong, but are punt returners really all that much more susceptible to injuries? I just don't recall seeing a lot of guys hurt returning punts and it sounds like some people seem to think its like throwing them into a lion's cage with a whip, a chair and sausages strapped around their waist. I get it, you are exposing them to the chance of an injury, but so is putting them on the practice field. How long was Deon Sanders returning punts during his career?

Wi
I think they already call him EQ at Notre Dame

There it is...EQ Brown. Sounds old school. I like it. Hope he becomes a star for the Pack.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently EQ refused to play special teams at Notre Dame.

He'll have to change that attitude if he wants to make the roster.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if my frustrations of the packers front office pissing away Aaron Rodgers talents yr after yr since 2010. I don’t sugar coat the ineptness of a front office who doesn’t help out their all everything Franchise QB! If that frustration labels me, oh well life goes on.

It doesn't. But the way in which you handle that frustration does.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If he tells the coaching staff that he won’t play on special teams, we can call him “that rookie diva that we cut and didn’t do **** for the Lions.”

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope EQ wears #80! EQ sure reminds me of James Lofton! A long limb athletic, fast WR. Nice 3rd day in the draft for GB! My only negative was not drafting Shaquem Griffin.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope EQ wears #80! EQ sure reminds me of James Lofton! A long limb athletic, fast WR. Nice 3rd day in the draft for GB! My only negative was not drafting Shaquem Griffin.
So of all the things we need this guy to be, your top hope is that he wears #80? I just hope he can learn the playbook, get open and catch the ball.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can't really replace Lofton but this is why I wished WRs could have single digits as his number at Notre Dame was 6; maybe he'll do 16. Valdez-Scantling is a little bit taller so maybe he could wear 81 for our own version of Megatron in Cheesehead form.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You
Can't really replace Lofton but this is why I wished WRs could have single digits as his number at Notre Dame was 6; maybe he'll do 16. Valdez-Scantling is a little bit taller so maybe he could wear 81 for our own version of Megatron in Cheesehead form.

I just said the St.Brown kid resembled Lofton physically. The kid has a lot of work to become half of James Lofton. I’d take half though. Remember old Harold Carmichael from Philly? Back in the day he wore #17, Cliff Branch from the Raiders wore #21. That wasn’t the norm in the 1980s. Most WRs wore #s 80-89.​