Offensive Line - Personnel

Reaction score
Jenkins has made $9.348Mil total over the last 4 years for an average of $2.337Mil/yr. He's played at an All-Pro level as LG, and more than adequately filled-in at OC, LT & RT (don't think he's played in a game at RG). Jenkins is 27 years old, still has plenty of years left, and will get handsomely paid by someone. The '23 Franchise Tag is expected to be around $17.67Mil for OL.

Per OTC the top salary is currently at:
LT - $23.01Mil/yr
LG - $20Mil/yr
OC - $14Mil/yr
RG - $16.5Mil/yr
RT - $19.2Mil/yr.

Gute may be able to structure a deal similar to Bakhtiari - 5yr/$92Mil ($23Mil/yr)and heavily backload the last year or 2 salaries... but should he? IF there's enough adequate (not necessarily All-Pro level) replacements (Tom, Newman, Runyan, Rhyan) maybe use that cap money to shore-up 2-4 other positions & be happy with a '24 3rd round comp pick?

There's a long way until the end of the season and a lot may change with Jenkins & Bakhtiari's health and/or the play of Newman, Runyan, Tom, Rhyan, & Hanson. Will be more clear in February.
Just an observation. I agree with 5/92 rate, but it’s $18.4 per (you might’ve meant 4/92?)
As the $ goes up from that area $19M area, I’d be more and more inclined to send him packing and tell him to say hello to Davante.
I think Zach Tom is going to fit right in by next season. Just my 2 cents

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an observation. I agree with 5/92 rate, but it’s $18.4 per (you might’ve meant 4/92?)
As the $ goes up from that area $19M area, I’d be more and more inclined to send him packing and tell him to say hello to Davante.
I think Zach Tom is going to fit right in by next season. Just my 2 cents
Thanks... in my haste I copied Bakhtiari's number not realizing it was a 4 year extension. Gute may need to do a 4 year extension but include a dummy 5th year to fit or with Jenkins' age do a 5yr/$116 ($23.2Mil/yr to be "Tops"?) with a dummy 6th?

Reaction score
It seems to me Tom would likely be much better than Runyan by the end of the year if he starts playing soon
I agree inn no think long term ceiling is there with Tom. I think Rhyan might just need a year to shake the nerves and adapt. I have a feeling he’s going to appear by next season or so as an additional viable option.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wish is to have Bak-Runyon-Meyers-Jenkins-Nij

I like that because Jenkins shores up that Right side as a relative strength as Yosh's partner (who is talented but still newer) and the Bak and Runyon combo is pretty formidable. That gives us Newman and Tom as first option backups, which I feel better about for now
MLF must be lurking and agrees with OldSchool. Nijman at RT & sliding Jenkins inside is being considered!! Well done OldSchool...what other brilliant ideas do you have...maybe at returner or WR combinations? :)

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jenkins has made $9.348Mil total over the last 4 years for an average of $2.337Mil/yr. He's played at an All-Pro level as LG, and more than adequately filled-in at OC, LT & RT (don't think he's played in a game at RG). Jenkins is 27 years old, still has plenty of years left, and will get handsomely paid by someone. The '23 Franchise Tag is expected to be around $17.67Mil for OL.

LT - $23.01Mil/yr
LG - $20Mil/yr
OC - $14Mil/yr
RG - $16.5Mil/yr
RT - $19.2Mil/yr.

Gute may be able to structure a deal similar to Bakhtiari - 5yr/$92Mil ($23Mil/yr)and heavily backload the last year or 2 salaries... but should he? IF there's enough adequate (not necessarily All-Pro level) replacements (Tom, Newman, Runyan, Rhyan) maybe use that cap money to shore-up 2-4 other positions & be happy with a '24 3rd round comp pick?

There's a long way until the end of the season and a lot may change with Jenkins & Bakhtiari's health and/or the play of Newman, Runyan, Tom, Rhyan, & Hanson. Will be more clear in February.
Totally agree. Have to see more on all fronts. Too many questions right now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Jenkins at guard and Nijman at RT but I think I read somewhere that MLF said Nijman wasn't comfortable at RT? Also, it took how many seasons for the coaches to realize Nijman should be the replacement for Bahktiari at LT, I'm assuming it's going to take a while for them to move him to RT.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins has been bad at RT so far IMO, maybe he’s going to get there but the refs could have called a lot of holding penalties the last two games. Matt Judan exposed him all day.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's time to move Jenkins back inside. His run blocking is fine, but he's not moving well enough to contain dominant pass rushers like Judon. Give Nijman a shot at right tackle now that DBakh appears to be able to go for a full game.

I agree that Jenkins needs to significantly improve in pass protection, otherwise he should be moved to guard. He was terrible against the Patriots.

LT - $23.01Mil/yr
LG - $20Mil/yr
OC - $14Mil/yr
RG - $16.5Mil/yr
RT - $19.2Mil/yr.

Jenkins doesn't deserve to be paid like as much as Bakhtiari was signed to as long as he doesn't significantly improve playing at tackle.

I understand another team might offer him that kind of money next offseason anyway but if that's true I hope the Packers don't match it.

Thanks... in my haste I copied Bakhtiari's number not realizing it was a 4 year extension. Gute may need to do a 4 year extension but include a dummy 5th year to fit or with Jenkins' age do a 5yr/$116 ($23.2Mil/yr to be "Tops"?) with a dummy 6th?

It would be difficult to add a dummy sixth year to a contract as there's no way to prorate any bonuses paid to a player for more than five seasons.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

Highlights, of the article. "Having Nijman start at right tackle would give Elgton Jenkins a chance to move back inside to guard, where he was a Pro Bowler in 2020. Jenkins has allowed two sacks and nine total pressures over his first three games as a starter at right tackle since coming back from a torn ACL. On Sunday, Matthew Judon beat him for a third-down sack and later ended the team’s first drive in overtime with an immediate pressure on third down. The Packers are still considering Nijman as a rotational player with Bakhtiari at left tackle – LaFleur called it a “fluid, week to week type deal” – so there could be limitations to moving Nijman to right tackle full time."

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a while since Jenkins played with the injury and surgery. I think a lot of it is he still working into game shape. He isn't moving well in pass pro, but we know what he's capable of so I'm not hitting the panic button just yet.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins doesn't deserve to be paid like as much as Bakhtiari was signed to as long as he doesn't significantly improve playing at tackle.
Really good guards are getting paid quite a bit these days.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins has allowed two sacks and nine total pressures over his first three games as a starter at right tackle
These stats don't show the times he was beat but Rodgers had already got rid of the ball. Jenkins looks awkward out there.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
These stats don't show the times he was beat but Rodgers had already got rid of the ball. Jenkins looks awkward out there.
That's probably why they are trying Nijman at RT.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is still a road grader in the running game. If/when he gets back to guard, the inside running game should improve. Open up a few more holes for Dillon.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Im more and more a proponent of move Jenkins back to left guard as long as Nijman can do it at right tackle.

Bakh and Jenkins next to each other is the ticket

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say RG, Runyan has been arguably our strongest pass blocker this season. RG is our weakest link.
Only problem with this is that we KNOW Jenkins is a stud LG but he's never played RG.
If Runyan moves to RG then the right side is Runyan & Nijman - 2 guys new to those positions. So left side is All-pro caliber while right side is a crap-shoot.

Runyan (LG) & Myers have played pretty well together so I'd be wary of changing that. Hopefully the coaching staff makes the correct call.

D

Deleted member 6794

Really good guards are getting paid quite a bit these days.

You're right about that but there's still a drop-off compared to elite tackles though.

It seems there are a lot of decent options on the offensive line to play on the left side but unfortunately the Packers lack experience on the right one.

Members online

Latest posts