Of the 3 coaches...............

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the three coaches, MM/Slocum/Capers who was best prepared for the playoff game?

Seeing that Slocum and Capers were in the first years and first playoff appearance with the Packers seem like they were over whelmed by the magnitude of the game.

Slocum and the special teams seem not up to the level of intensity of the game. Jordy Nelson is not a great return man, but he looked like he was fighting a hangover out there.

Capers may have saved his worst coaching debut for the playoffs. Himself and the players did not seem to be at the level of intensity of the game.

I have mention intensity a number of times, is this more the responsibility of MM as head coach?

MM on the other hand may have called on offense the best game of his career. I liked his intensity.

This may be one of those games that a young team with new coaches just learn their lessons and move on. Just interested in your thoughts.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter at this point??? And, does anybody really - I mean REALLY - want the truth? I think not.

Many of us will continue to pretend it's all peachy-keen and sunshine and lollipops. I'll admit, there's a great deal of sunshine and a lot to look forward to, but it is frustrating being told your team is so talented and so well-coached - only to see them dump a winnable playoff game.

Something's gotta change on the 2010 Packers, be it an infusion of talent at specific areas, or some adjustments to schemes to play more to the available talents' talent.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does it matter at this point??? And, does anybody really - I mean REALLY - want the truth? I think not.

Many of us will continue to pretend it's all peachy-keen and sunshine and lollipops. I'll admit, there's a great deal of sunshine and a lot to look forward to, but it is frustrating being told your team is so talented and so well-coached - only to see them dump a winnable playoff game.

Something's gotta change on the 2010 Packers, be it an infusion of talent at specific areas, or some adjustments to schemes to play more to the available talents' talent.

No real reason to be rude, he was simply asking a question and looking for opinions from people who actually have one. I doubt he was looking for a sarcastic remark, but what else do you do? It's like talking to a door.

In regards to the OP, I think Dom was probably the most un-prepared but I dont know if it was that or if it simply was due to the fact that our defense had been exposed for some big time passing yards from stellar QBs over the season, the worst coming later vs Big Ben in my opinion and that's when our injuries hurt most.

I dont know if Dom was un-prepared or just doing the best he could with what he had. . .I think we could have done better defensively.

Special teams I haven't been impressed with all season to be honest, well since Blackmon went down we haven't had a good return man all season and our coverage has been MAYBE average on some game but more or less it's below average, in the playoff game it wasn't too horrible but return yards were MEH at best.

Offensively you're spot on, McCarthy sure made the right calls in the 2nd half and it showed statistically. . .I also think the onside call was one of the better calls he's done all season and to pull it off in a crucial playoff game was just a breath of fresh air.

I would say McCarthy was the best, Dom was the worst and special teams was meh, not good or bad overall.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ya I still have my doubts about MM, during the game I liked his play calling to get us back in the game, but his overtime management of the game frustrates me. I think MM forgot the score was tied and he now had plenty of time to do our thing, yet he gambles with the long passing attack exposing our weakest part of the offense, our O-line and A-rod's pocket presence.

Sometimes with Capers I wonder if it was the switch to the 3-4 more than his play calling during the games that was the success we had this year on defense. This defense beat the teams it was supposed to, struggled against the elite offenses, vikings,Steelers, and the Cardinals. It will be interesting to watch what he does this year with a years experince with these players under his belt. I think we will see some bold moves this year on defense.

Slocum and special teams is probably a more reflection of our youth and depth than his coaching scheme.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I still have my doubts about MM, during the game I liked his play calling to get us back in the game, but his overtime management of the game frustrates me. I think MM forgot the score was tied and he now had plenty of time to do our thing, yet he gambles with the long passing attack exposing our weakest part of the offense, our O-line and A-rod's pocket presence.

Sometimes with Capers I wonder if it was the switch to the 3-4 more than his play calling during the games that was the success we had this year on defense. This defense beat the teams it was supposed to, struggled against the elite offenses, vikings,Steelers, and the Cardinals. It will be interesting to watch what he does this year with a years experince with these players under his belt. I think we will see some bold moves this year on defense.

Slocum and special teams is probably a more reflection of our youth and depth than his coaching scheme.

Thanks for not taking it like I was being rude - like somebody erroneously pointed out.

I'm tiring of "waiting" around for TT to luck out and draft the perfect players. It's time to make some move via trade or free agency (granted solid plays exist - not doing it just to do it.).

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
plain and simple defence didnt show up, st did a awsome job getting a onside kick back. I think the defence was the problem. I think we struggle when where spread out as shown in the AZ playoff game and the pitt game also both viking games.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MM's game plan was decent on offense, he just failed to get this team ready to play. I think they were all enjoying the smell of thier own farts so much that thought they were just going to roll to the SB just like they did in the pre-season.

Capers seems to never want to make changes on the fly. He seems to never waiver from his game plan. I thought something should have changed based on the Cardinals kicking our *** in the first half

Slocum, I dont know. I thought with the 3-4 def your ST were automatically suposed to get better with all the fast LB's and DB's now on the roster. Who the hell keeps putting Jordy (i'm slow as hell and couldnt make a cut to miss a leaf in fall on slightly windy day) Nelson on kick returns needs to be slapped!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the three coaches, MM/Slocum/Capers who was best prepared for the playoff game?

Seeing that Slocum and Capers were in the first years and first playoff appearance with the Packers seem like they were over whelmed by the magnitude of the game.

Slocum and the special teams seem not up to the level of intensity of the game. Jordy Nelson is not a great return man, but he looked like he was fighting a hangover out there.

Capers may have saved his worst coaching debut for the playoffs. Himself and the players did not seem to be at the level of intensity of the game.

I have mention intensity a number of times, is this more the responsibility of MM as head coach?

MM on the other hand may have called on offense the best game of his career. I liked his intensity.

This may be one of those games that a young team with new coaches just learn their lessons and move on. Just interested in your thoughts.
Capers was surely the less prepared. It's blalantly obvious.

However, it's still McCarthy's job to get the whole team prepared. He's not the offensive coordinator only.

And his teams have a huge tendency of starting slow. It needs to stop.

But I've said in another post who I think are responsible for the loss.