O-Line Thoughts Here ?

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It to be expected.....starting 3 rookies and 1 second year guy. In the NFL that is a recipe for disaster.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my immediate reaction to this question is...WHAT OL??? seriously - they have torked me to no end & what about our friggin D??? the fins are walking up & down the field on us - do we have NOBODY who can defend the pass on this team for cripes sakes????

um, er, rant...over. :D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like how when gb doesnt do well, its the oline. cuz favre never makes any bad decisions, or our RBs never make bad cuts. cmon now.

its looked ok, except colledge getting thrashed. but...what did you expect? one of the top 5 defensive players in the league vs a rookie...

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trommy - i was asked about the oline so i commented on the oline which led me to the D - favre threw a couple of BAD passes - happy now?!? have another beer!! ;)

showgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The o-line has looked much better in the second half. Mabe they received a serious tongue-lashing at half time, or maybe the coaches made some good adjustments to the blocking scheme.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The o-line has looked much better in the second half. Mabe they received a serious tongue-lashing at half time, or maybe the coaches made some good adjustments to the blocking scheme.

Yeah, a completey different game. We clicked well as a team in the 2nd half. Not just our OL, but the whole team. MM must have given a heck of a speech.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
showgirl said:

Yeah, a completey different game. We clicked well as a team in the 2nd half. Not just our OL, but the whole team. MM must have given a heck of a speech.

I agree, the O-line thankfully improved the second half, PHEWWWW !!!

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O line was not bad today. There were multiple occasions where Brett failed to get rid of the ball quickly. Against one of the top 10 D lines in the league, you're not going to have 5-7 seconds to throw the ball. For a rookie playing in a position he hadn't practiced at in weeks, Colledge wasn't too bad. JT is one of the best in the business, and it's inexcusable to not have someone helping on him. Fortunetly, the offensive staff did a very good job in adjusting and picking up JT in the 2nd half.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really surprised that they left Colledge on an island with Jason Taylor a couple times early in the game. The results were disastrous, as anyone could've predicted. Thankfully, the coaches wised up after that and gave Colledge some help. Taylor pretty much disappeared in the second half.

As others have said, the entire O-line really stepped it up in the second half, for whatever reason. Now let's see if they can play like that for an entire game.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a couple questions for all of you here, does College start next week at LT to let Clifton rest more? And if College can somehow hold his own, does he keep the job? And if he were to keep the job, is it possible to trade Clifton due to the big contract or would we just cut him next year?

Chad doesn't seem to be the ideal fit for the new blocking scheme, but if College, Spitz, Wells, Moll, and Tausch make for one young OL.

No real opinion here, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a couple questions for all of you here, does College start next week at LT to let Clifton rest more? And if College can somehow hold his own, does he keep the job? And if he were to keep the job, is it possible to trade Clifton due to the big contract or would we just cut him next year?

Chad doesn't seem to be the ideal fit for the new blocking scheme, but if College, Spitz, Wells, Moll, and Tausch make for one young OL.

No real opinion here, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Excellent questions. I can't really answer them, but you're right that Clifton isn't the best fit. With a maturing Colledge, we could expect Clifton gone next year, especially considering the salary cap. I'd trade him. He's still good, just not a fit with this zone blocking scheme. I'm sure we'd get something decent for him.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the coaches will have to consider that. If they can play Colledge at LT and he improves, then it's a serious consideration. Clifton's zone blocking is not so hot, but his pass blocking is excellent. I think he likes to key on one guy and handle him.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see College start the next 2 games and let Cliffy rest those knees so he can maybe be healthy for the Vikes game.
I'm sure College may be slightly embarrassed and might show a mighty effort at redeeming himself. This whole situation could be a good thing in the long run.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The line is young and has been in a state of flux for the entire season thus far(I may be wrong but I do not remember the same 5 starting at the same positions 2 games in a row). That being said, I think we have seen some progress from game to game and even half to half, which leads me to believe that coaching and adjustments are taking place(a good thing) and we have a group of guys who can play(a better thing), much unlike last year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I was really surprised that they left Colledge on an island with Jason Taylor a couple times early in the game. The results were disastrous, as anyone could've predicted. Thankfully, the coaches wised up after that and gave Colledge some help. Taylor pretty much disappeared in the second half.

As others have said, the entire O-line really stepped it up in the second half, for whatever reason. Now let's see if they can play like that for an entire game.

I agree 100%. You could almost see a chubby in Jason Taylor's pants when he realized he was going one on one with a rookie early in the game.

I thought the line did ok after the first few series.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see College start the next 2 games and let Cliffy rest those knees so he can maybe be healthy for the Vikes game.
I'm sure College may be slightly embarrassed and might show a mighty effort at redeeming himself. This whole situation could be a good thing in the long run.

I like the thought but you like your line settled and he is one of the two best guards so this move would mean him going back to guard for the Vikes game.

That's probably a little more shuffling than they are prepared to do. That versitility is sure a great asset though.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

I like the thought but you like your line settled and he is one of the two best guards so this move would mean him going back to guard for the Vikes game.

That's probably a little more shuffling than they are prepared to do. That versitility is sure a great asset though.

For my :twocents: , I think that Colledge should stay at LT behind Clifton and not be moved back to guard. Spitz and Moll are doing a solid job there, so why keep rotating in Colledge? Instead, give Colledge the reps at LT in practice and then fill in for Clifton as needed.

The reasoning behind this is that Clifton isn't going to be around much longer and backup LT is our weakest position on the OL. Colledge needs the reps at LT in order to develop his game to become the starter.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 rookies starting...don't know what you really expect. Bottom line is, they are getting better each week, and MM did a great job of adjusting to negate Jason Taylor without hamstringing the offense.

Good win.

Members online

Latest posts