O boy.. Real reason it's failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers needs to change. one reason is because he's 34. so you approve of his passing up open guys for holding the ball, getting sacked, or throwing it away? for his bad body language and attitude? for his undermining the coach and system with street-ball? for his happy-feet and throwing while falling backwards? all that, and more, need to change. whether he'll allow himself to change was the discussion on those shows. michaels opinion wasn't the point of listening but the guests, with knowledge, were. people who were, and are, inside 1265 are talking.
Rodgers is who he is, doing what he's always done. Rodgers is not happy because his team is losing. What's different this time is they are losing in the wrong ways. And he's playing with rookie WRs, and a TE with whom he hasn't found the chemistry, a RB who is practically a rookie, and an O-Line not up to previous standards. People who get paid to talk about this stuff have to come up with something to get people to listen, and that means controversy.

Here's an observation from the Dallas-New Orleans game, which you can take or leave.

New Orleans offense was coloring inside the lines. They were trying to do what they've been doing, keeping Brees clean in the pocket, slicing and dicing with short passes, then taking the occasional shot downfield. Actually, it's what they've been trying to do for as long as I can remember, it's just now they have better horses. Oh, sure, they sprinkle in some gadget plays with Hill and the like, but those are becoming predictable and we know their bread and butter. Dallas came up with a great game plan and happen to have the right horses for it, in particular those LBs doing what was called for.

No matter how creative you may be in your schemes and game plans, you eventually become predictable and color within your own lines. Some DC figures it out and gets it right. It becomes a coach vs. coach game. Playground ball is not schematic and it can't be schemed against. It's my horses vs. yours, and Rodgers is a great horse to start with but not sufficient. Green Bay just doesn't have those horses right now. Maybe some year 2 jumps and a better player or two on the O-line gets you there, or maybe that doesn't happen.

Now, this is not to say that Rodgers has nothing to learn or no adjustments to make, but now we're talking matters of degree. And you assume he's never done what you describe when the situation dictates. Elsewhere I did a breakdown of the 6 quarters stretching from the second half of the Dallas game through the Bears game in 2016...ball control passing par excellance. Defenses adapt, though, and they don't play that kind of 2 high safety all day anymore. So, you take more shots. When I read your post, and there are others like it, I see a call for Rodgers to change his character of play. That's unreasonable, likely to fail miserably if forced, and it does not account for the surrounding talent.

Let Rodgers be Rodgers and don't expect winning without a sufficiently talented and experienced supporting cast. Lots of great QBs have suffered a lot of losing years for lack of surrounding talent. The QB does not do it alone.

As for McCarthy, if he believes he's heading out the door, expect him to want to display his own brand of creativity to show he's not some old stick in the mud.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Name me 10 other Quarterbacks that are ahead of him. I DEFINITELY want to hear this one!

And I swear it's like every time we go into these losing slumps people want to bring up his leadership and coachability into question. Seriously it's wash, rinse, and repeat.

-_-
This year it is not difficult to find 10 QB’s in the league that have had a better season. I don’t have the numbers but I’d guess Rodgers is middle of the pack in points per possession which I consider an important stat.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year it is not difficult to find 10 QB’s in the league that have had a better season. I don’t have the numbers but I’d guess Rodgers is middle of the pack in points per possession which I consider an important stat.
Then let's hear it. I'm waiting. Rodgers despite how disappointing he has been playing this past season, he is STILL having a pretty good season compared to most.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then let's hear it. I'm waiting. Rodgers despite how disappointing he has been playing this past season, he is STILL having a pretty good season compared to most.
goff, brees, mahomes, rivers, wilson, luck, ryan, big ben,...even cousins has better stats. none of the others are undermining their coach or have breached the all-world bad-body-language threshold set by jay culter.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Trade AT and keep MM.
2. AR has turned into a Diva.
3. He's playing for stats...It's either a TD or he'll over through the receiver by 2 yds to prevent the TD to Int ratio the best ever.
4. With his new contract no HC will be able to control him...
5. This franchise will be in the tank as long as AR is out QB

More like we'll be in the tank for god knows how long if we go sticking Kizer or whoever else in.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
goff, brees, mahomes, rivers, wilson, luck, ryan, big ben,...even cousins has better stats. none of the others are undermining their coach or have breached the all-world bad-body-language threshold set by jay culter.
I’d personally add Brady to that list but I don’t play fantasy football and don’t pay close attention to stats. I just think Rodgers has performed at a very average level on the whole this season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for McCarthy, if he believes he's heading out the door, expect him to want to display his own brand of creativity to show he's not some old stick in the mud.
This is what I'm wondering about. What if McCarthy knows his back against the wall, and starts showing some real creativity and changes in his offense and playcalling? Combine this with the team getting hot, does that save his job?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is what I'm wondering about. What if McCarthy knows his back against the wall, and starts showing some real creativity and changes in his offense and playcalling? Combine this with the team getting hot, does that save his job?

Might, unless AR decides he has had enough of MM and "accidentally" throws some picks :whistling::coffee:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just the plays, I'm drunk and watching old highlights and so many times AR does a hurry up for a free okay, offside or 12 men on field. The one wait playcall that sets up offense instantly to catch defence off guard etc... These don't exist anymore. AR12's instincts are usually trustable and they need to push him to hurry up.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to change. one reason is because he's 34. so you approve of his passing up open guys for holding the ball, getting sacked, or throwing it away? for his bad body language and attitude? for his undermining the coach and system with street-ball? for his happy-feet and throwing while falling backwards? all that, and more, need to change. whether he'll allow himself to change was the discussion on those shows. michaels opinion wasn't the point of listening but the guests, with knowledge, were. people who were, and are, inside 1265 are talking.

Talking about what? Which DB there gonna burn another number round pick on?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you seriously compare Rodgers to Cutler? Especially in regards to attitude? Thanks for the laugh.

As for the stats in what regard are these individuals having better stats? If you're talking about completion percentage and yards attempted then you have an argument. Otherwise he's right on par with those names you've mentioned. The only problem is that the team isn't winning.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with the trade Rodgers talk, are you fing crazy? How many different bear QB's have we beaten the last 20 years? There is no guarantee we would get a good one if we have to start over drafting one, remember the 70's and 80's? I think Rodgers realizes the futility of some of our formations and plays. Why do we NEVER have a FB on a 3 and 1 or 4th and 1? MM lost Rodgers at Seattle 4 years ago and frankly he lost me there too. He is a below average coach who has been carried by 2 HOF QB's. Such a great coach, how is his coaching tree? Where have his assistants gone on to be head coaches? Don't let the door hit his ***.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with the trade Rodgers talk, are you fing crazy? How many different bear QB's have we beaten the last 20 years? There is no guarantee we would get a good one if we have to start over drafting one, remember the 70's and 80's? I think Rodgers realizes the futility of some of our formations and plays. Why do we NEVER have a FB on a 3 and 1 or 4th and 1? MM lost Rodgers at Seattle 4 years ago and frankly he lost me there too. He is a below average coach who has been carried by 2 HOF QB's. Such a great coach, how is his coaching tree? Where have his assistants gone on to be head coaches? Don't let the door hit his ***.

Philbin did go to HC Miami and McAdoo to the NYG, although neither lasted.

Honestly though, even though Andy Reid may be winning the award for assistants turned HCs, I don't think that's necessarily a stat to judge a coach's greatness considering Bellichek's assistants have never ever succeeded in HC jobs, and I'm willing to bet Patricia gets fired at the end of this year.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just the plays, I'm drunk and watching old highlights and so many times AR does a hurry up for a free okay, offside or 12 men on field. The one wait playcall that sets up offense instantly to catch defence off guard etc... These don't exist anymore. AR12's instincts are usually trustable and they need to push him to hurry up.

While I been talking about this all year and certainly getting on his case plenty, MM also seems to be slow about getting the plays in too. Yes sometimes the time wasted is Rodgers changing them, but sure seems like sometimes more than 20 seconds goes by before anything goes into the mic in Rodgers's helmet.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I been talking about this all year and certainly getting on his case plenty, MM also seems to be slow about getting the plays in too. Yes sometimes the time wasted is Rodgers changing them, but sure seems like sometimes more than 20 seconds goes by before anything goes into the mic in Rodgers's helmet.
lol your last sentence intrigues me... how exactly do you know this ??

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think part of this problem is not having a te that has chemistry w ar, but there is so much more. i think ar is cking out of runs a lot when the running game is an improving nuance. ar expects his rcvrs to run good routes and outside of adams, its not happening with regularity. playing in the shotgun ALL THE TIME is what frustrates me. when he is hobbled i get it, but when he is healthy? it is as stale as the horseradish dip in my freezer. they do not run a pro style offense ever as they do not have a fb on the roster, and it is needed. ar is deadly in play action when he has time. the plays do not ever use slants either, why i have no idea. is it philbin/mm calling dud plays and ar saying to himself f this this isnt going to work and cking out of it half of the time? thats another million dollar question.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you heard that when a play comes in, he will tell certain players.. You won't do this, but do this instead.

If he is in the huddle, all players can hear the play.. they know rodgers is changing it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’d personally add Brady to that list but I don’t play fantasy football and don’t pay close attention to stats. I just think Rodgers has performed at a very average level on the whole this season.

Brady has thrown only 19 touchdowns while having seven interceptions. He's not having a better season than Rodgers.

MM lost Rodgers at Seattle 4 years ago and frankly he lost me there too. He is a below average coach who has been carried by 2 HOF QB's.

McCarthy was responsible for resurrecting Favre's career as well as developing Rodgers into an elite quarterback.

they do not run a pro style offense ever as they do not have a fb on the roster, and it is needed.

The Packers not having used a fullback this season is the least of their problems.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldn't using a fullback be considered "old" in today's modern and innovative NFL?

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you seriously compare Rodgers to Cutler? Especially in regards to attitude? Thanks for the laugh.
Glad I'm not the only one who literally laughed out loud when I read that. :D This forum certainly is good for comedic relief sometimes!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
but sure seems like sometimes more than 20 seconds goes by before anything goes into the mic in Rodgers's helmet.
Cite?
You are aware that would be with like 17 seconds on the play clock. The headsets are disabled at 15 seconds per league rules. So McCarthy isn't calling the plays in your scenario and the shit show on the field is all on Rodgers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wouldn't using a fullback be considered "old" in today's modern and innovative NFL?
Stop pointing out the obvious fallacies in the arguments used in here.... they will just invent more lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts